PDA

View Full Version : Change of plan?

joe552
May 25th, 2014, 01:58
n light of recent events, has anyone changed their plans for holidays in LoS? As of today, and having spoken to my travel insurance company, I'm still on track to arrive in Pattaya on 6 June. How about you?

Daniel-old
May 25th, 2014, 02:42
I arrive in Thailand at the end of May for a four-week stay. I spoke to my travel insurance company, who told me that as long as I followed any relevant suggestions or recommendations made by any government or other authority, my insurance would remain valid. I hope the curfew is lifted soon but, if it isn't, I won't let it spoil my holiday.

joe552
May 25th, 2014, 02:45
My thoughts exactly - just have to start drinking earlier (can you find a beer at 7am?)

Smiles
May 25th, 2014, 02:50
" ... can you find a beer at 7am? ... "
7-11 @ 7 AM. Get in line.
(Irish alckies ... will Thailand survive 'em?)

joe552
May 25th, 2014, 03:10
Smiles - Thailand thrives on Irish alkies = and British alkies - and American alkies - And Canadian alkies - and Australian alkies - did I mention the Irish alkies

daf4
May 25th, 2014, 05:11
DONT Forget the Scots Joe,It certainly is not putting me off

newalaan2
May 25th, 2014, 06:00
I hope the curfew is lifted soon but, if it isn't, I won't let it spoil my holiday.
I'm still on track to arrive in Pattaya on 6 June. How about you?
I'm due to arrive just after Joe552 and I'm just hoping that the heat will be off in the intervening days, but like Daniel whatever the situation with the curfew if still in place I won't let it spoil my visit, still tons to do between 5am and 10pm! Only changes in plan likely if the airport is actually closed or there is a major escalation of violence.

Spoke to bf tonight (2am IssanTime) and the festival in the local area with Isaan Concert was in full swing. Police were in attendance, but just a few of the usual locals who normally attend the larger Isaan music gatherings there.

anonone
May 25th, 2014, 08:39
I am not due to arrive for a month or so but, like NewAlaan, only BKK closing or widespread violence would cause me to change plans.

BF hasn't had much to say about the situation. He complained about TV being restricted to the Thai National music, causing him to miss his "stories" (Thai soap operas).
Otherwise, nothing seems too out of the ordinary in his little corner of Isan.

francois
May 25th, 2014, 11:14
still tons to do between 5am and 10pm!.

Tons to do at 5 am? :-o It has been so hot here in Pattaya that best to stay inside until evening. So. for me, the curfew does cut down on the best part of the day (the evening hours). And for sure, no after hour clubs for those inclined to party hardy until 5am. Fact is the party is over, at least for the present.
I came here to escape the boredom of home where friends were in bed at 10 pm and I was home alone with a bottle of wine and an X-Video.

Maxxy
May 25th, 2014, 12:30
Arrived a week ago and had a minor inconvenience once due to the curfew, was at the cinema when it was put in place and when we got out the mall was closed and the line at the BTS was so long it wasn't worth joining. Only trouble was it seemed all the honest taxi drivers were already either busy or off the street, every taxi I tried wanted to name his price to get back to Surawong that night.

Manforallseasons
May 25th, 2014, 14:00
still tons to do between 5am and 10pm!.

Tons to do at 5 am? :-o It has been so hot here in Pattaya that best to stay inside until evening. So. for me, the curfew does cut down on the best part of the day (the evening hours). And for sure, no after hour clubs for those inclined to party hardy until 5am. Fact is the party is over, at least for the present.
I can here to escape the boredom of home where friends were in bed at 10 pm and I was home alone with a bottle of wine and an X-Video.

From someone that lives here the above post makes oh so much sense. If you are coming here for a gay vacation in normal times thing don't get busy till 9-10 PM now that's over, clubs Nab, Dave, D.J. G.O.D. forget that , at 10 you are a prisoner of your room till 5 the next day.
I can see not changing your plans if your stuck with a non changeable non refundable ticket or you prepaid your accommodations or where you work you can't change your allotted vacation time, otherwise why not wait till an announcement is made as to when the curfew will end?

LoveThailand
May 25th, 2014, 15:55
Smiles - Thailand thrives on Irish alkies = and British alkies - and American alkies - And Canadian alkies - and Australian alkies - did I mention the Irish alkies

Definitely but not entirely.
In 2013 AU, UK and US were 9th, 10th and 11th by the number of arrivals from those countries.
Tops are countries that probably do not generate a lot of revenue - like ASEAN and some other neighbors.
However, Japan (4th on the list), South Korea (5th), Singapore (8th) supply visitors with probably comparable spending power.
http://tourism.go.th/index.php?mod=WebT ... 6&dcID=621 (http://tourism.go.th/index.php?mod=WebTourism&file=details&dID=7&cID=276&dcID=621)

As to whether current situation will change my travel plans - I hope that by autumn things will get sorted out. My main deterrent would be continuation of the curfew. If the curfew is lifted and there are no massive violent skirmishes - I'll go as planned.

Oliver
May 25th, 2014, 16:02
I'm leaving London tonight. I've never considered postponing my trip, let alone cancelling it. My visits to Thailand are among the highlights of my year-
and I have my boyfriend to see. I despise those responsible for this present situation and the curfew is a damn nuisance; but that's not enough to stop me.
Now that I'm in my 60s, I'm acutely aware that there will come a day when I won't be fit enough for this sort of travel. So....carpe diem.

DonMuang-old
May 25th, 2014, 23:27
If the annoyances stay in place they will see me over Bangkok in 39000 feet heading east south east.
Curfew? Stay inside at 10PM? Bars, discos, everything closed? In Pattaya??????? :YMTONGUE:
No way! Never! No soup for you!

paborn
May 25th, 2014, 23:51
I peace the US for Bangkok on June 4 and plan to stay for three weeks - last time there was a coup some bars decided to open early so it became an early evening type of thing. I have also considered going down to Pattaya instead - I have not been there for a decade. I'm of mixed mind since I have heard some recent bad things about Pattaya - mostly on these boards ( this is my first time posting ) what are the pros and cons? I understand that Pattaya is a bit cheaper but that not a major consideration for me. To tell the truth in BKK I used to spend most of my time in Saphan Kwai because I found the boys to be nicer, less jaded perhaps..... last year I never left soi Twilight and stayed at the BB inn - I had a good time but if I go down to Pattaya this time what can I expect?

Surfcrest
May 26th, 2014, 02:39
Cathay Pacific Flights to and from Thailand

Latest update: 25 May 2014 20:00 HKT (GMT+8)

Due to the latest situation in Thailand, there are checkpoints, traffic diversions and road closures in some areas and potential traffic congestion is expected. We recommend passengers to allow at least 3 to 4 hours to commute to the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

Cathay Pacific is monitoring the situation closely. Flight operations remain normal, but there will be ad hoc flight cancellations and consolidations. We advise passengers travelling to and from Thailand to check the latest Flight Status before departing for the airport. To ensure you receive the latest flight status updates via SMS or email, please update contact details in Manage Booking.

Please also note that HKSAR Government had issued the Red Outbound Travel Alert (OTA) for Thailand. You may refer to the Outbound Travel Alert website of the Security Bureau at http://www.sb.gov.hk/eng/ota/ for details of current OTA alerts. You are also advised to visit our Special Ticketing guideline for the ticket handling in response to the Outbound Travel Alert issued by HKSAR.

From a travel insurance perspective, you may want to read the fine print or discuss with your agent before hand what coverage you have in the event that your flight is cancelled or that the carrier you booked with doesn't suspend flight operations to Thailand. On the flip side of the coin, if the current situation settles down as a result of what is going on now...I've noticed quite a few travel specials starting this coming November to Thailand :)

Surfcrest

kanom
May 26th, 2014, 06:42
At the moment everything is closed and following curfew, even 7-11's are closed at 21.00 to allow their workers to get back home by curfew time. Roads are empty at night.

Up2U
May 26th, 2014, 07:36
At the moment everything is closed and following curfew, even 7-11's are closed at 21.00 to allow their workers to get back home by curfew time. Roads are empty at night.

Come to Pattaya, the impact has been minor so far and things will probably l return to normal quickly. Dongtan Beach is very quiet but the Central Mall was packed yesterday with tourists and traffic was heavy. Further down Jomtien Beach there were many Thai families out enjoying the day.

May 26th, 2014, 09:03
Further down Jomtien Beach there were many Thai families out enjoying the day.During the curfew?

Up2U
May 26th, 2014, 10:50
Further down Jomtien Beach there were many Thai families out enjoying the day.During the curfew?

Yes.

francois
May 26th, 2014, 11:01
The go-go bars in Pattaya seem to be opening earlier. Last night there was no hurry in Sunee Plaza for bars to close. We were able to have a drink past 10pm at beer bars and a lot of pedestrian traffic at WatChai Night Market at 11pm. Perhaps less customers in go go clubs so the lads were eager to please the lonely farangs for a tip, that is.

newalaan2
May 27th, 2014, 05:24
Tons to do at 5am? It has been so hot here in Pattaya that best to stay inside until evening.
Ha, francois u knew I was referring to general hours outwith curfew, but since you mention 5am, sleep or any other bed-centred activities from 5 to 8am is fine. From 8am SO much to do! Goodness gracious Francois Stay in till evening? on holiday? are you stark raving.....? Never!.....Who needs a junta to keep you under house arrest when you are prepared to do it yourself??

Going out in a warm/hot climate is exactly WHY I visit Thailand, just getting around places in Thailand is such an enjoyable change from and something I cannot do back in farangland, I couldn't really care if burning hot, raining or curfew!

Francois either this must be the difference between an expat and a visitor, or the difference between 'Pattaya Only' mentality and 'the whole of Thailand' to visit mentality. Is it expected that everyone who visits Thailand is ONLY visiting for clubbing and gay bars as MFAS seems to think? There is so much to do between (modified to) 8am and 10pm, hot or not!

Out for breakfast then drop in/pick up laundry, a bit of shopping at Central in the air cooled shops, maybe a trip to Friendship, Big C for provisions, Theppisit Market, or Major for air cooled Movie, lunching in air cooled MK/Fuji or fan cooled Thai eatery, a Thai buffet with bf and friends, maybe to the beach where they have umbrellas, Francois, to shade you from the sun! while the sea breeze cools, then to a fan/air-cooled Bondi or other Jomtien Bar for an ice cool beer, maybe a massage in an aircon/fan room. Then as part of the visit, a day trip to Rayong, Baan Saen or another of the Jomtien beach areas for a seafood late afternoon meal with Thai friends. And that is just during the day-time.

Evening, a visit to the bars which are open. I prefer the beer bars early evening anyway when in Pattaya normally visiting between 5pm and 10pm...perfect timing for a curfew. Yes we like visiting the clubs (not that bothered about Gogo visits) NAB etc... but not every night nowadays. In fact we have many nights in usually catching up with friends who work in Pattaya, str8 male, female as well as gay, who often come round to Mosaik with food, snacks, booze and have a great evening in with the same folks I would be having fun with at NAB or Tam Nan Chon/Issan.

Pattaya is only part of a visit to Thailand, up in the bfs village life starts at 5-6am and I've made posts previously about how much there is to do there on a daily basis. Also we have day trips to Waterfalls, one of the umpteen National Parks, Khon Kaen city or Laos/Nong Khai for which a 6am start is perfectly normal. Around the rest of Thailand away from Bkk, Pattaya , City centres etc... life goes on as normal curfew or not! I wouldn't trade my few days at bfs home in Issan and trips around Thailand for another 2-3 weeks in Pattaya...NO WAY!

From someone that lives here the above post makes oh so much sense. If you are coming here for a gay vacation in normal times thing don't get busy till 9-10 PM now that's over, clubs Nab, Dave, D.J. G.O.D. forget that , at 10 you are a prisoner of your room till 5 the next day.I can see not changing your plans if your stuck with a non changeable non refundable ticket or you prepaid your accommodations or where you work you can't change your allotted vacation time, otherwise why not wait till an announcement is made as to when the curfew will end?
Why not wait until the end curfew ends?? because there is so much to do, curfew or not, that's why. YOU might consider yourself a 'prisoner' in your little ghetto MFAS, but 'normal' folks will consider sleeping for a few hours between 10pm and 5am as perfectly normal, and only some neurotic drama queen would describe that as being a prisoner. Apart from sleep, from 10pm to early hours either fun with bf or have friends round. Don't you have any friends MFAS? But while it is true I come to Thailand for the gay holiday 'part' of the trip too, I am away from Pattaya/Bkk for the largest part of the trip even if there is NO curfew! Quite happy with whatever is open from late afternoon till 10pm, missing out on 2am clubbing not a huge miss for me. For anyone who is coming to hook up with guys, maybe you will miss the agogos, but tons of boys will still be available.

As I say each has their own personal plans and ideas when visiting, if I was stuck in Pattaya the whole month it would personally drive me (and the bf) round the twist, and the reason I/we would never consider staying there full time as you have. I wouldn't consider staying any one place full time anyway. Have a base somewhere, yes, maybe 2-3 places. But always on the move.

We were able to have a drink past 10pm at beer bars and a lot of pedestrian traffic at WatChai Night Market at 11pm
There ya go! life returns slowly.

Oliver
May 27th, 2014, 09:44
I arrived at the airport yesterday afternoon. Very quiet. My plane was about 30% full, with most of those passengers on their way to Taiwan. I noticed nothing unusual on my way into town apart from a small army presence by the side of the road about ten kilometres from the airport.

I ate in Soi Twilight (Dick's- very good , by the way) . The soi was very quiet but by no means deserted; in fact it was busier than during the last curfew after the massacre of the Red Shirts. The massage joints were open, with about 50% of the usual masseurs around. A couple of the host bars, too. And the go go bars appeared to be about to open in some form or other at 1900.

Few falangs, predictably, but nowhere near as "dead" as I'd expected.

I suspect that it will take many months, perhaps a couple of years, for Thailand to recover as a tourist destination....and that is only after normalcy has been restored.

The curfew is having a huge impact on the livelihoods of many. It is hard to see what it achieves....but then I suppose that the elite who were behind the coup are not overly concerned by the difficulties faced by ordinary Thais trying to feed their kids.

newalaan2
May 27th, 2014, 13:25
My plane was about 30% full
Not knowing which airline you use and how regular you visit, is your plane normally at 100% capacity?

The soi was very quiet but by no means deserted; Few falangs, predictably, but nowhere near as "dead" as I'd expected.
Good to hear and thanks for the updates.

christianpfc
May 27th, 2014, 15:12

My observations are completely different. In Bangkok and on a 3 days 2 nights trip to Ang Thong province, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference (if there is a curfew or not) outside Bangkok entertainment areas. 7/11 close at 10 pm, but MRT/BTS already at 9. But then I saw buses running after 10 pm yesterday.

More details from Silom/Surawong here: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... 52014.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/05/curfew-monday26052014.html)

I think it will take a few days more and everyone will flout the curfew.

githailand
May 27th, 2014, 16:09
Thanks for this update! Here in Issan, only the major places are observing the curfew, so it's been just fine. But - the bf and I have our monthly trip to BKK coming up on Saturday and it nice to read your report that, with some minor inconveniences, life will be just fine. Kudos to you for taking the time to update.

Cheers

My observations are completely different. In Bangkok and on a 3 days 2 nights trip to Ang Thong province, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference (if there is a curfew or not) outside Bangkok entertainment areas. 7/11 close at 10 pm, but MRT/BTS already at 9. But then I saw buses running after 10 pm yesterday.

More details from Silom/Surawong here: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... 52014.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/05/curfew-monday26052014.html)

I think it will take a few days more and everyone will flout the curfew.

newalaan2
May 27th, 2014, 21:57
7/11 close at 10 pm
Bf was telling me today that the two 7-11's in the nearest small town in the middle of nowhere Issan have been closing at 10pm every night even though the rest of the town has been going along as normal, with small food outlets open till 1-2am as usual, so it must be a nationwide 7-11 decision to close at curfew time. Also the 129-baht buffets have been remaining open after 10pm but all alcohol sales have been stopped at 10pm on the dot as with the karaokes.

Never mind, the whole picture looks like its easing slowly but surely, just hope there is no major/violent demonstrations to set it back.

Oliver
May 27th, 2014, 22:03
In response to Newalan's comment, I fly EVA from London. .
It is usually 70% full in the off-season. I note that two flights have been cancelled this week- consolidation? I cannot say whether this is the result of the coup.

By the way, I've just posed a comment about Soi Twilight on the Curfew thread. It's 2200 here in Bangkok- I, at least, am obeying the curfew!

cdnmatt
May 28th, 2014, 00:09
Never mind, the whole picture looks like its easing slowly but surely, just hope there is no major/violent demonstrations to set it back.

Considering how many weapons caches the military is finding, I definitely won't be surprised when some "fireworks" start in the future, after the military believes things have calmed down.

May 28th, 2014, 09:13
I think it will take a few days more and everyone will flout the curfew.And then they'll be off to the Political Re-education Camps the government has just announced.

Oliver
May 28th, 2014, 09:29
Rule Number One when living under a military junta, particularly one that is censoring the media; don't believe everything you are told.
A Bangkok Post journalist was summonsed for asking "insistent questions" of the Leader at a Press Conference.
Risible.

lego
May 28th, 2014, 16:18
A Bangkok Post journalist was summonsed for asking "insistent questions" of the Leader at a Press Conference.

And you didn't even mention the best part of this incident:

Instead of asking tough questions, "The press should cheer on him."

Quoted from http://bangkokpost.com/news/local/41208 ... -questions (http://bangkokpost.com/news/local/412080/coup-chief-requests-easier-questions)

francois
May 29th, 2014, 16:54
Going out in a warm/hot climate is exactly WHY I visit Thailand, just getting around places in Thailand is such an enjoyable change from and something I cannot do back in farangland, I couldn't really care if burning hot, raining or curfew!

"Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

Are you English or ......? :-s

christianpfc
May 30th, 2014, 12:17
I agree with Francois. I venture out during midday only a few times per week, the heat and sun is too much!

newalaan2
May 30th, 2014, 15:59
Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."Are you English or ......?
Very naughty suggestion francois.......but as I am a Scottish guy it clearly it does not apply to me!

best to stay inside until evening
When on holiday after travelling half way round the world with a limited time-scale to enjoy the sights and sounds of Thailand, self imposed curfew all day until evening does appear to be the slightly madder option francois. Last time I tried visiting a National Park in the evening I found the view rather disappointing, and Rayong beach might be a bit deserted by that hour. Surrounded by 4 walls from morning until evening? I could stay at home to 'enjoy' that.

But from that Noel Coward song does the lyric line "In bangkok at 12 o clock, they foam at the mouth and run (but mad dogs and Englishmen stay out in the mid day sun)" apply to expats and residents?

But back to the topic, still no change any of plans envisaged to visit or to spend of much of it as I can out and about for as many hours of the day as I can fit in!

I agree with francois, I venture out during midday only a few times per week
You might agree christainpfc, but your actions differ, given that a week has only a few days......it appears your 'only a few' venturing out during midday to be almost a daily occurance, whereas francois coops himself up all day every day. :)

francois
May 30th, 2014, 16:32
Very naughty suggestion francois.......but as I am a Scottish guy it clearly it does not apply to me!

Oh, oh, I thought the Scotsmen and Englishmen were the same same? :p

Nirish guy
May 30th, 2014, 17:00
As NIrish sits back and reaches for the popcorn as the reply to the above should be interesting ! lol

scottish-guy
May 30th, 2014, 21:11
There's an old SCOTS toast:

"One Englishman equals two French,
Three Danes, or four men from Potsdam.
He's worth as much as five of the Dutch,
And very near half a Scots-man"

:ymparty:

Jellybean
May 30th, 2014, 23:19
Well said Scottish-guy, I hadnтАЩt heard that one before. Reminds of a trip to Canada with an English friend when the gay Canadian guest house owner, after listening at length to my friend at breakfast, said тАЬAh yes, you can tell an Englishman тАж but not muchтАЭ. LOL!

But naughty Fran├зois knows very well there is a difference. I do believe he was just ever so gently winding up the Scottish board members unless, of course, he ventured out into the mid-day sun, the effect of which was a momentary lapse of memory? :)

Oh тАж and just to keep on topic and answer JoeтАЩs original question, I have no plans to change the dates of my next extended 6 month trip to Thailand, which should be around mid-October. IтАЩd be very surprised if the curfew is still in place then. Whether democracy will have returned by then and the military returned to their bases is probably doubtful, but that is another matter entirely and way beyond my ken.

Nirish guy
May 31st, 2014, 16:41
Ha so after all my talk of "there's other places" etc on ringing BA to check avIlability of air mile seats ( as I've a load to use up and they NEVER have them anywhere close to the dates I need) - well I'm not sure if it's the coup or not but they had seats on the EXACT dates I wanted to travel and when he said "would you like to go ahead and book that sir" much even to my own surprise I said "yes" !!

So departing 25th June returning 4th August to and from Bangkok, but if the curfew etc is still in place ( and even if not) I do intend to throw in one ( or two) side trips to perhaps bali or Cambodia (or maybe even Japan this time round thanks to some tips from A447)

newalaan2
May 31st, 2014, 17:08
well I'm not sure if it's the coup or not
I'll get a real idea if the coup has caused any significant dent in arrival numbers when I fly out. I always use KLM/AFrance from either Amsterdam or Paris and for the last 3-4 years, more than a dozen trips every flight to and from Bkk has been full to capacity, it will be interesting to see if that changes on the upcoming ones.

While I will be making no changes to the overall trip arrival and departure dates, it seems we will be changing the agenda we had, which included a few days stay in Bkk, as bf has just informed me that he has caved in to family concerns about any long stay in central Bkk. We plan to meet in Bkk as normal for the first night but we usually have another 2-3 days in and around Bkk before heading to Issan. However we will head to Jomtien instead (I quite enjoyed the short stay there on my last trip in Feb). Then we will head to Issan and around the kingdom and return to Pattaya for our usual week of fun, by that time hopefully the club and pub hours might be back to near normal.

According to him there are concerns voiced by family and villagers about fears of a backlash by the more extremist factions, just speculation and village murmurings, but they say "why risk it?" especially when they know that areas where westerners tend to stay/visit like Silom/lumphini have been flash points in the past. I'm not that bothered about missing Bkk and would certainly have continued with original plans but Jomtien is a perfectly acceptable replacement.

I have to say that usually the bf, family and villagers don't normally show any concerns about coups, military takeovers, political upheavals etc.. they tend just to go along as before, but this time bf has been chatting more about it than usual, there seems to be a real bit of caution and tension 'in the air' along with a genuine fear that there is not going to be a happy, acceptable, peaceful outcome with feelings riding as high as they are and such a gulf between the two sides.

Oh, oh, I thought the Scotsmen and Englishmen were the same same
Well rumours abound there are others like you who have suggested that, but it seems no trace of them is ever found to verify it. Remember I'll be in Pattaya in a matter of days and while you don't know what I look like, I know I will be looking for an individual dressed in a hooped shirt, black beret and a string of onions round his neck....all wrapped up in a North American accent, while for sunee that might not particularly stand out as unusual, it will narrow it down somewhat.

francois
June 1st, 2014, 12:24
[quote="newalaan2"

Remember I'll be in Pattaya in a matter of days and while you don't know what I look like, I know I will be looking for an individual dressed in a hooped shirt, black beret .....[/quote]

newalaan2; Look for a farang wearing a bonnet and kilt and that will be me.

Daniel-old
June 1st, 2014, 13:43
I'll get a real idea if the coup has caused any significant dent in arrival numbers when I fly out. I always use KLM/AFrance from either Amsterdam or Paris and for the last 3-4 years, more than a dozen trips every flight to and from Bkk has been full to capacity, it will be interesting to see if that changes on the upcoming ones.

I arrived in Bangkok yesterday with KLM from Amsterdam. All the seats in business class were occupied. Immigration desks were well staffed but we had to wait nearly an hour for our baggage.

I am staying in Soi Day Night 2 in Pattaya at Mosaik Apartments which, according to reception, are 94% occupied. The receptionist suggested that many people that usually visit Bangkok have instead decided to come to Pattaya.

joe552
June 1st, 2014, 15:27
NIrish - you are priceless.

scottish-guy
June 1st, 2014, 16:54
....Look for a farang wearing a bonnet and kilt and that will be me.

I would not advise that at all - and certainly not if you see a super-morbidly obese doughball sitting on the terrace of the Ambience, rubbing his belly as 4 boys turn an entire cow on a spit for his mid-afternoon snack. You might find he waddles across the soi (followed by a tuba player), screaming obscenities at you.

But on your own head be it!

:ymparty:

joe552
June 1st, 2014, 17:09
didn't realise you were in town at the moment, sg

scottish-guy
June 1st, 2014, 17:29
├А cet instant pr├йcis (as Francois might say), I'm not in town Joe - but let's just say I shall be somewhere interesting within the next fortnight. Perhaps I shall pose for a photograph, holding up a copy of that day's Bangkok Post- just to satisfy Mini Mee (or perhaps not)

:))

joe552
June 1st, 2014, 17:58
You mean the way they do to prove that hostages are still alive? Are you in any danger we should know about?

scottish-guy
June 1st, 2014, 18:29
No - there are just certain SGT posters who for some bizarre reason seem to think I'm obliged to keep them informed of my movements.

joe552
June 1st, 2014, 18:57
So you're not being held hostage by a gang of ladyboys holding you until NIrish gets back? Well, that's a relief.

scottish-guy
June 1st, 2014, 19:08
I'm starting to think that it's not just the ladyboys who rely on NIrish - it's the entire sex industry :))

Oops, better quit this bantering - lest we be accused of having a laugh.

Jellybean
June 1st, 2014, 20:22
No - there are just certain SGT posters who for some bizarre reason seem to think I'm obliged to keep them informed of my movements.
Ewwww ... how disgusting. Why on earth would anyone be interested in how often you go to the bog? You must be alluding to the members with "strange quirks" that colmix was referring to on the 'Pattaya updates' topic. I was wondering what he could possibly mean by that remark, now I see. ;)

cdnmatt
June 1st, 2014, 22:57
I'm not a tourist, so no change in vacation plans. However, am planning to move to Uruguay shortly, so that should be good. :)

5 years in Thailand is enough for me. Actually started having dreams about leaving a couple months ago, and the idea planted itself from there. Got to looking at a world map plus doing some research, and Uruguay seems like an excellent place, for both logical and personal reasons. Then sure enough about a month after starting to have these dreams, massive immigration crackdown pops up that is only going to increase the existing xenophobia in the country, then a little while later military coup, etc.

It's been fun, but I'm out. Can't wait for some good weather, Spanish should be easy to learn if I managed to learn Thai, some of the best beef in the world, good expat population instead of a bunch of grumps, etc. Should be good. :)

joe552
June 1st, 2014, 23:54
Well a bit of a change from SE Asia to South America - but wish you well. Always thought I'd like to meet you for a beer one day. Don't be a stranger.

Jellybean
June 2nd, 2014, 00:11
Libertad o muerte тАж thatтАЩs the spirit cdnmatt! Oh how I envy you the ability to pick up sticks and go wherever the wind takes you.

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. And do drop in from time to time and post accounts of your travels in the Global Forum.