PDA

View Full Version : THAILAND'S' ARMY CHIEF DECLARES MARTIAL LAW

Manforallseasons
May 20th, 2014, 11:41
In the face of rising tensions Thailand is under a state of martial law nationwide.

francois
May 20th, 2014, 12:07
I believe it is Martial Law.

May 20th, 2014, 12:21
In the face of rising tensions Thailand is under a state of Marshall law.They had that in Germany after World War II altho I believe it was called Marshall Plan then.

Manforallseasons
May 20th, 2014, 12:26
I believe it is Martial Law.

So do I.

Up2U
May 20th, 2014, 14:08
That certainly shot tourism in the foot. Those traveling here better check their travel and health insurance plans for exclusions. Nothing is more welcoming than seeing men in military uniform at Suvarnabhumi.

gregvc
May 20th, 2014, 14:19
Maybe named after Marshall on how I met your mother

anonone
May 20th, 2014, 15:43
That certainly shot tourism in the foot. Those traveling here better check their travel and health insurance plans for exclusions. Nothing is more welcoming than seeing men in military uniform at Suvarnabhumi.

This is absolutely true. With those tight fitting uniforms, it is always a welcome sight for me. :D

Up2U
May 20th, 2014, 15:44

This is absolutely true. With those tight fitting uniforms, it is always a welcome sight for me. :D

Especially if he is packin' a big gun.

Nirish guy
May 20th, 2014, 16:05
So with the military now having primacy over the police in Thailand and the police no longer being in control ( if that's correct on the ground ??) does this mean that the tea money will dry up to the boys in brown as I can't see them allowing all their hard work and source of so much income to dry up or be redirected elsewhere perhaps ?

Manforallseasons
May 20th, 2014, 16:24
So with the military now having primacy over the police in Thailand and the police no longer being in control ( if that's correct on the ground ??) does this mean that the tea money will dry up to the boys in brown as I can't see them allowing all their hard work and source of so much income to dry up or be redirected elsewhere perhaps ?

You bring up an interesting point, should some one say I'm not paying because now you answer to the army be assured when the army goes away he would pay a very dear price.

joe552
May 20th, 2014, 16:33
I'm due to travel in 2 weeks so watching developments anxiously. It would be great if martial law calms things down. I'm nervously watching the travel advisories from the Irish and UK Governments.

Up2U
May 20th, 2014, 16:46

You bring up an interesting point, should some one say I'm not paying because now you answer to the army be assured when the army goes away he would pay a very dear price.

I doubt the red shirt and yellow shirt protest movements were the source of tea money. The traditional sources(bars, massage parlors) are still in existence and operating so I would think nothing has changed in that regard. Check bin please.

Oliver
May 20th, 2014, 16:51
Don't worry. I'm travelling on Sunday and have no intention of giving in to Suthep and his thugs..... this present situation has been engineered by the Usual Suspects in the pampered elite.
At no stage during his insurrection (alas! unpunished) have tourists been threatened. Some inconvenience, yes...but not much. And as for anywhere outside Bangkok, all has been quiet...though I was woken in my Chiang Mai hotel in January by a 0500 Red Shirt rally.

I've no doubt that I'll arrive safely in my hotel and then equally safely at the airport for my onward flight. And so will you.

paperboy
May 20th, 2014, 17:10
FFS

every time i go to thailand, something happens
i go on may 31st
i hope its safe and dont end up in the middle of a civil war

joe552
May 20th, 2014, 17:55
I am only concerned about my travel insurance. If the Irish Govt. issues a warning against travel to Thailand, that invalidates my insurance. Happened to me a few years ago and I ended up going to Cambodia instead. I'm not overly concerned about my safety.

frequentfliers
May 20th, 2014, 20:21
we wont travel to thailand now,probably go to South America.

Oliver
May 20th, 2014, 20:54
Brazil? Lots of street protests there. And plenty of guns.
Mexico a little further north in Central America is beautiful, too. But a war between drug-pushers makes it dangerous.
Bolivia and Venezuela are both under threat from the CIA....a foreign-backed coup is on the cards. Come to think of it, most of South America, wonderful though it is, faces more civil unrest than Thailand. And remember that there have been no problems in Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai....apart from the usual drunken tourists.

Thailand remains one of the safest places in the world...and one of the most welcoming. I can't understand anyone who seriously wishes to go there being discouraged by what has happened so far.

LoveThailand
May 21st, 2014, 01:27
I have been in BKK during the massive protests - and as a visitor had no problems or inconveniences whatsoever. I'd guess other touristy places stand a still smaller chance of being affected.
Thailand at all times feels among the most safe environments out of the 55 countries I have visited so far.

Manforallseasons
May 21st, 2014, 01:42

I doubt the red shirt and yellow shirt protest movements were the source of tea money. The traditional sources(bars, massage parlors) are still in existence and operating so I would think nothing has changed in that regard. Check bin please.

How do you think make up the protesters? Do you really believe that the sources of tea money are confined to those that run bars and massage parlors? Any Thai that is involved in day to day life from dealing with the traffic police to having his business license checked is subject, if it were limited to what you believe Thailand would probably rate higher than the USA in its lack of petty corruption. It's not only at the petty level it is endemic at every level.

MiniMee
May 21st, 2014, 02:02
I am only concerned about my travel insurance. If the Irish Govt. issues a warning against travel to Thailand, that invalidates my insurance..... I'm not overly concerned about my safety.

If you're not concerned about your safety, why would your worry about invalidating your travel insurance?

Nabaat
May 21st, 2014, 03:50
So what has changed...all th7s worry over insurance etc, get over it n get over here. Lived through 4 of these n no problems ever.

bjbjboy
May 21st, 2014, 07:48
Looking at a trip to BKK in July. My only issue would be if there are any curfews that have been imposed in past Martial Law/Protest situations.
Have gogo clubs or bars in Silom 2/Silom 4 or Babylon ever been closed due to Protests/Martial Law?
I'll likely stay at Pantip Suites or Pinnacle Lumpinee, near Babylon.
Thanks for any details!

Up2U
May 21st, 2014, 09:21

How do you think make up the protesters? Do you really believe that the sources of tea money are confined to those that run bars and massage parlors? Any Thai that is involved in day to day life from dealing with the traffic police to having his business license checked is subject, if it were limited to what you believe Thailand would probably rate higher than the USA in its lack of petty corruption. It's not only at the petty level it is endemic at every level.

My point is 50 or 100 thousand protesters marching down Rama 4 don't pay tea money and both red and yellow shirts have their own security forces. The police haven't disappeared and businesses will still pay up. The military as it stands now is stopping the demonstrations, rallies, propaganda on both sides and hopefully that's all they will do.

Oliver
May 21st, 2014, 14:26
I can reassure bjbjboy. Unless the situation changes radically, there will be no need for a curfew. The last one (which I experienced) was the result of the tension following the massacre of the Red Shirts by Suthep's cronies. There have been no comparable levels of violence in this conflict, despite Suthep's efforts.

joe552
May 21st, 2014, 17:55
I am only concerned about my travel insurance. If the Irish Govt. issues a warning against travel to Thailand, that invalidates my insurance..... I'm not overly concerned about my safety.

If you're not concerned about your safety, why would your worry about invalidating your travel insurance?

Because travel insurance covers me for things other than political events - like falling off a bar stool and breaking my arm. If the Irish government issues a warning not to travel to Thailand and my insurance is not valid as a result - do you think I should still go? Do you travel without insurance?

Smiles
May 22nd, 2014, 01:58
So Joe ... what about the coup?
Perhaps a thread regarding the pros and cons of buying insurance (from those jackals :D ) would be worthwhile.

(Full disclosure: I own stock in Manulife ... those jackals. B-) )

joe552
May 22nd, 2014, 03:50
I first thought that was ManULike. Well, according to the General (and he should know) this ain't a coup. just fretting about what might happen next. Already looking at Laos since I've never been there. Any advice?

paperboy
May 22nd, 2014, 06:31
hi
im all booked to go to bkk for 3 days then fly to sean rap for 4 weeks
bumming about cambodia, i think i will just land in bkk
and leave directly to sean read,
dont need the hassle

egel
May 22nd, 2014, 08:25
Do you travel without insurance?
Yes, all the time actually!
How many years have you been travelling. How many times have you claimed?
I have made my decisions on all forms of Insurance.

Oliver
May 22nd, 2014, 14:55
I always have insurance when I'm in Thailand, though the fact that it was invalid during and after the massacre of the Red Shirts (Government travel advice) didn't stop me travelling.
In answer to the question above, I've travelled to Thailand on about seventy occasions and have made one claim. It was after the theft of my personal documents at Heathrow Airport. And it was turned down.
To be blunt, I'm prepared to take the risk when I visit my Teerak and I'm used to being without insurance. I'm not covered when I'm in Palestine because I'm in unwelcome contact with insane settlers and trigger-happy brats in the Israel Army.

joe552
May 22nd, 2014, 15:05
I guess it's a choice we all have to make. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Who knows, this whole situation could lead me to discover another Asian country I haven't visited before?

Up2U
May 22nd, 2014, 16:28
When I travelled here as a tourist and when I live here now, I always had (have) insurance. Required no action on my part in the past as it is included in most American policies. Must say some posters here have a cavalier attitude about accident /health insurance.

Nirish guy
May 22nd, 2014, 17:15
And so the Coup that wasn't now IS as the Army have just declared they are now taking over control of the Government.

joe552
May 22nd, 2014, 18:33
a trip to Laos is looking increasingly likely. still, with 2 weeks to go, who knows?

DonMuang-old
May 22nd, 2014, 20:28
I guess it's a choice we all have to make. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Who knows, this whole situation could lead me to discover another Asian country I haven't visited before?

Try the Philippines, boy wonderland =P~
Especially Manila and Cebu :x

joe552
May 22nd, 2014, 22:33
I had fun in the Philippines about 15 years ago, but find Thailand so much easier. Maybe now I'll be discovering how easy Laos is?

RonanTheBarbarian
May 23rd, 2014, 04:23
Laos is a great place to visit, but the "fun" will be rather hard to find, in my experience.

However,as a "conventional tourist" destination it is well worth it. Luang Prabang especially is a fascinating place.

May 23rd, 2014, 08:58
I guess it's a choice we all have to make. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Who knows, this whole situation could lead me to discover another Asian country I haven't visited before?Especially for you Joe - Aussie travel insurers will avoid the policies they wrote no more drunken Aussies in Phuket http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-ess ... 38rrc.html (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-essentials/travel-news/thailand-military-coup-australians-face-travel-insurance-issues-20140522-38rrc.html)