PDA

View Full Version : Airport ATM rates

morse
May 20th, 2014, 08:44
Over the years I have always avoided the exchange counters at Suvrarnabhumi because of their rates which are 8-10 percent below those in the city. Has anyone used the airport ATM machines and are they similarly disadvantageous?

francois
May 20th, 2014, 10:28
I recently used an ATM at BKK airport and exchange rate was just about 32 Baht/USD. One caveat is NOT to use the conversion rate the ATM quotes and continue the transaction without the conversion rate. The conversion rate is less favorable than the actual rate. Saying that, I may have used the conversion rate transaction as I was not paying attention. Rates I am receiving at other ATMs are about 32.2 TB/USD in recent days.

Up2U
May 20th, 2014, 14:19
ATM exchange rates are set by the ATM network your card is linked, often VISA PLUS and MasterCard CIRRUS. Some cards give you options as francois mentioned using the bank rate which is called the DCC(dynamic currency conversion) rate. This should be avoided whether using your cc or ATM. The "effective" exchange rate will be less than the ATM rate if your bank charges fees for using a foreign ATM, but that is true if you are at the airport or downtown Bangkok.

christianpfc
May 20th, 2014, 15:59
copy of a post I made on gaybuttonthai:

I followed an anonymous comment on a similar topic on my blog and found it to be correct:

No fee for withdrawal at Citibank ATM!

They have a branch in Silom, opposite Soi 6 and Bangkok Christian Hospital. I went there yesterday and withdrew 20,000 Baht (up to 30,000 possible). Even German and French language available on the ATM.

The exchange rate was 43.70 Baht per Euro, but it's my bank that makes the rate. Beste rate on exchange booth was 44.20 (Super Rich Silom 64 Building), that would have made a difference of 230 Baht.

Up2U
May 20th, 2014, 16:51
copy of a post I made on gaybuttonthai:

I followed an anonymous comment on a similar topic on my blog and found it to be correct:

No fee for withdrawal at Citibank ATM!

They have a branch in Silom, opposite Soi 6 and Bangkok Christian Hospital. I went there yesterday and withdrew 20,000 Baht (up to 30,000 possible). Even German and French language available on the ATM.

The exchange rate was 43.70 Baht per Euro, but it's my bank that makes the rate. Beste rate on exchange booth was 44.20 (Super Rich Silom 64 Building), that would have made a difference of 230 Baht.

Out of curiosity, your bank is not part of a VISA or MC ATM network?

latintopxxx
May 20th, 2014, 19:08
I may be mistaken but I'm sure I got a better exchange rate by exchanging euro cash notes at the currency excgabhe booth next to the atm machine in BKK airport. I know cash is not always ideal but just a thought.

christianpfc
May 21st, 2014, 01:06
I use a visa card from my bank (comdirekt / Commerzbank), but they don't apply the visa exchange rates, they have their own exchange rates which are lower than the rates offered by visa or exchange booths.

Up2U
May 21st, 2014, 09:31
I may be mistaken but I'm sure I got a better exchange rate by exchanging euro cash notes at the currency excgabhe booth next to the atm machine in BKK airport. I know cash is not always ideal but just a thought.

Doing foreign currency exchanges at an airport, bus, rail station or hotel is contrary to the advice given by knowledgeable travel gurus.

Up2U
May 21st, 2014, 09:34
I use a visa card from my bank (comdirekt / Commerzbank), but they don't apply the visa exchange rates, they have their own exchange rates which are lower than the rates offered by visa or exchange booths.

Ok, thanks. Best check your bank statement online and see if there are hidden charges from citibank which I have read about.

christianpfc
May 23rd, 2014, 11:24
No hidden charges. 20,000 THB = 457.67 EUR (at my bank's exchange rate of 43.70 on that day).