PDA

View Full Version : Surfcrest's version of Sawatdee is 1 year old ...

Smiles
May 15th, 2014, 11:18
This post should more probably be nestled into the 'Board Business' forum, but let's face facts ... hardly anyone reads a forum that far down the page (almost to Purgatory some would say), and is arguably dull and dry to boot. Moon-faced gay almost-retired accountants employed by the Canada Revenue Agency might enjoy it ... but ...

So, I'll try this here, assuming that it will be moved sooner or later by some moderator, or whoever is in charge of the day-to-day stuff. Does Surfcrest have a Moderator besides himself?

But anyway: a thread to read on this here anniversary of Surfcrest's coup d'etat would be this one ( have-had-new-forum-the-only-one-t28809.html?hilit=Neal (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/have-had-new-forum-the-only-one-t28809.html?hilit=Neal) ], an eleven-pager filled with angst and blut und boden and hosannas and fireworks that Neal had finally taken a powder and in fact, one year on, seems to have not just left his Rag of Shame, but in fact, left this planet.

One year on, and I feel ~ in the bone ~ that Sawatdee has come through that dark fog on the other side into a version of Boardieland light. There seems (I've done no survey, counted no posts, delved not deep at all into the topics) to be a quiet renaissance here-a-bouts: many new handles popping up here and there (giving rise to marvelously-worded topics such as "I want a Thai cock inside me". Somehow even that feels refreshing after Neal's bullying puritanical tenure); many old posters from 'before' coming back (for some time I've held a vague feeling that 'something-was-missing' until the charming sexcapades of a447 and Latinsmallpox began popping up again) ... and best of all, a noticeable move away from a general nastiness and towards some good humour once again: though hopefully always intertwined with a dash of Sawatdee edginess.
Anyone else feel this?

I won't go on ~ besides the poll ~ but just thought I'd send some kudos Surfcrest's way for the patient and fair way he's handled the re-launch, one year on.

scottish-guy
May 15th, 2014, 13:40
That linked topic was heard to read - like watching a car crash - with the best will in the world I couldn't get past Page 4.

Thankfully SGT/SN is now in an immeasurably better place.

Congrats to Surfy for his gold-medal contribution to environmental cleansing.

:ymparty: :ymparty:

LoveThailand
May 15th, 2014, 13:57
I voted though officially I am a member since a few days ago, but been a regular lurker for a long time.
My feeling is that indeed there is less animosity now at the forum.
However, I enjoy reading posts where people share their positive experiences and things they like versus complaints and bitching.

Surfcrest
May 16th, 2014, 16:13
Thank you very much Smiles. This first year certainly came with a few bumps eh? From a тАЬversionтАЭ perspective though, elephantspike really has done it for us again with the new front page and the networking for our sites and for our friends. IтАЩve been updating the front page by featuring posts for us to increase exposure. So farтАжso good!

Our biggest challenge this year was with loosing jinks while he was going through treatment, being hospitalized off and on and then finally passing away. He was doing so much with the controls and was doing all of the moderating. IтАЩve been doing all of the moderating since for many months, but I can tell you thereтАЩs not really much to do.

The political troubles in Thailand this past year have had a big damper effect on tourism in Thailand that have probably hindered all the boards this year and will continue to do so with this continued uncertainty.

Fortunately, the board platform that elephantspike set up for us here is quite stable and for my partтАжeasy to manage. Having our own server has sped things up, allowed us to navigate around our previous ban in Thailand by True and has opened up the door in terms of what we want to do with the site in the future. This year the struggle for me has been time.

I look at the Neal thing now as more of an annoyance...especially at the end. There was a lot of fun and games going on a year ago, but It will all be forgotten soon enoughтАжif it hasnтАЩt been already.

Thanks for posting that link and most especially thanks to Brad The Impala for his accurate description of how I also see my role as current owner of the site. I know I don't rub everyone the right way and not everyone agrees with the way I do things, but I think we still got to where we needed to get to which is here...one year later.

This forum has been through the hands of several owners in it's lifetime, and those posters who have stuck with it through thick and thin, believe that what makes a forum is the posters. I think of Owner/Moderators as custodians of that spirit...

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/have-had-new-forum-the-only-one-t28809-60.html?hilit=Neal#p273917

Surfcrest

DamienZ
May 19th, 2014, 08:34
Thanks Surf!
Here's to better days and congratulations on starting a renaissance. It was nice to see that so many veteran posters did stay or have returned and peace profound to all of our friends who have finished their work here and moved on-they will be missed.

Cheers

:ymapplause:

Khor tose
May 19th, 2014, 10:43
Far better then Neal's board. Not perfect yet, but going in the right direction.

May 19th, 2014, 11:03
Frankly I enjoyed Fat Boy Sawasdee or whatever that web site was called that was a send up of Neal. Inclined to say theres too many plonkers here but thsat probably true of life in general.

Manforallseasons
May 19th, 2014, 18:26
I think the level of moderation is just right, also Beachlovers' institutionalization for multiple personality disorder was very helpful.