PDA

View Full Version : Update on Rama 4/silom area regarding protests

newalaan2
May 9th, 2014, 06:43
With the continued unrest/recent political maneuvering and a visit due soon, can anyone advise what the situation is now around Rama 4 and Silom? Back in February Silom was closed off in the upper part to Rama 4 road but access to Saladaeng area hotels and restaurants/bars was easy enough via Soi Jeepoon (yes Christian I keep forgetting the correct name for it) coming from Surawong Rd which was clear, and in fact quiet.

Were the barriers dismantled on Rama 4? even back in Feb they were virtually unmanned. Not specifically essential to know as I've booked already, just out of interest.

corky
May 9th, 2014, 11:34
Last night (Thursday 8th May) at about 10 pm everything was normal on Silom. No barricades or protests. The Silom market on the sidewalks was operating as usual, tourists were about and the bars and clubs were open and quite busy.
Rama 4 was also normal except for the encampment at the entrance to Lumpini park making traffic towards Wireless Road difficult in the area in front of the park by the Thai/Japanese bridge. In the other direction, towards Hualumphong railway station, all was normal.
Suriwong Road was not affected at all.

lego
May 9th, 2014, 14:51
I'd expect the roads around Lumphini Park to be blocked or congested every now and then in the coming days, because the protesters will be on the move quite a bit. Silom Road should be fine most of the time, but with Rama IV Road and Ratchadamri Road, I'd expect them to be impassable at times.

Maxxy
May 9th, 2014, 15:42
Hope it stays like that for a while, I'm there in a bit over a week.

newalaan2
May 9th, 2014, 20:48
Last night (Thursday 8th May) at about 10 pm everything was normal on Silom. No barricades or protests.
Thanks for the update on the current situation. I've booked Ballys, (now D'Varee) Silom for a couple days at the start of my trip next month and even with upper silom closed in Feb access was no real problem, just a few metres traipse to the numerous taxis available in Soi Jeepoon.

in the coming days, because the protesters will be on the move quite a bit
Yes Lego, it was these 'stirrings' I had noted from the various forums which gave rise to the question. Never mind, what will be...will be, just a case of working round it as the Thais do.

Further updates appreciated.