PDA

View Full Version : Thai PM Loses Fight To Keep Her Job

Manforallseasons
May 7th, 2014, 14:43
Thailand's constitutional court found her guilty of abuse of power charge, she now must step down.

Up2U
May 7th, 2014, 15:35
Pure politics. Sad to see this from an institution that is supposedly above politics.

Manforallseasons
May 7th, 2014, 17:26
Pure politics. Sad to see this from an institution that is supposedly above politics.

I disagree it shows it is an institution that can't be bought.

Up2U
May 7th, 2014, 18:41

I disagree it shows it is an institution that can't be bought.

Western news reports call it what it, a "judicial coup". This court overturned the lower Administrative Court ruling and has overthrown elected government's since 2006 based on politics. The elitist refuse to relinquish power to the masses.

Thai Dyed
May 7th, 2014, 23:23
The elitist refuse to relinquish power to the masses.

It sounds as if you are talking about America. But maybe you specifically mean the San Fransisco Bay area.

latintopxxx
May 8th, 2014, 00:52
why r we even discussing this?? Nothing we can do about it...and nobody cares about our opinion. Leave Thai politics to Thais/

frequentfliers
May 8th, 2014, 01:07
Sad to see this,but thats Thailand.I hope the courts uphold the rights of the peoples choices in the general election.

scottish-guy
May 8th, 2014, 02:19
.......I hope the courts uphold the rights of the peoples choices in the general election.

Even the Americans can't manage that (Gore v Bush 2000) - so I have very little expectation of the Thais doing so.

:))

Manforallseasons
May 8th, 2014, 02:32
why r we even discussing this?? Nothing we can do about it...and nobody cares about our opinion. Leave Thai politics to Thais/

Typical of an occasional visitor vs. Expats that live here.

Nirish guy
May 8th, 2014, 02:43
To be fair if they didn't like your opinion the Thai's would tell you to mind your own business and tell you in no uncertain terms just to go back to your own Country in a heartbeat, so based on that fact alone and as I'm guessing as an Expat you can't vote there (I presume?) it seems like a reasonably sensible idea to me that short of paying a passing interest its better just to ignore the whole shebang and just get on with enjoying life there letting the Thai's sort out their own political mess whilst you relax on the beach or whatever it is takes your fancy of a day.

Manforallseasons
May 8th, 2014, 02:50
To be fair if they didn't like your opinion the Thai's would tell you to mind your own business and tell you in no uncertain terms just to go back to your own Country in a heartbeat, so based on that fact alone and as I'm guessing as an Expat you can't vote there (I presume?) it seems like a reasonably sensible idea to me that short of paying a passing interest its better just to ignore the whole shebang and just get on with enjoying life there letting the Thai's sort out their own political mess whilst you relax on the beach or whatever it is takes your fancy of a day.

Naive to say the least, if you live here like it or not you are effected by the outcome same as you would be in your own country.

Nirish guy
May 8th, 2014, 03:16
I doubt very much if anything that happens there politically affects you or any ex pat too much, as certainly in Pattaya the typical day seems to involve getting up, going to the beach, maybe having a beer, perhaps heading to the shops and what else ??? So Assuming that whoever is in power doesn't enact some crazy legislation outlawing Expats or banning gay people from the beach etc just how exactly does who's in power affect YOUR life in any significant way I wonder, do please enlighten me, I'm all ears ?

Manforallseasons
May 8th, 2014, 03:32
Nirish, you must be joking! Everything from visa regulations, transferring money in or out of country, rules governing real estate ownership and any thing those in authority wish to add, change or amend!

Frankly it gets tiresome listening to the take that occasional travelers think they are obliged to give on everything in Thailand.

bucknaway
May 8th, 2014, 03:35
New faces will mean a new war on Tourist entertainment venues to make a name for themselves. Get ready for Midnight closing times.....

Nirish guy
May 8th, 2014, 03:37
Frankly it gets tiresome listening to the take that occasional travelers think they are obliged to give on everything in Thailand.

I'm glad that works two ways then :-) and I'm sure the Thai's say exactly the same about the Expats that they so graciously allow to reside in their Country.

bucknaway
May 8th, 2014, 03:44
On my last trip, a Thai friend of mine did want to talk USA Politics and offer his thoughts on Obama.... I didn't want to hear it.. LOL :D

Oliver
May 8th, 2014, 14:54
Of course it concerns us; and we have a right to our opinions.
Those of us who have boyfriends or even acquaintances in Thailand cannot fail to be aware of the class divisions there and of how the working classes are exploited and abused by the royalist/military elite. For a decade, democratic elections won by parties representing the vast majority of Thais have been overturned by this elite. This is yet another coup; an unelected body has undermined democracy. The thugs in Lumpini didn't succeed; and the military was frightened. So the judges stepped in to deal with "the buffaloes" as they call them....the working classes.

lego
May 8th, 2014, 16:10
Naive to say the least, if you live here like it or not you are effected by the outcome same as you would be in your own country.
Ultimately, things are fair. We cannot vote, so we have even less of a say than the average Thai. But we can easily get out in case things go tits up, something the average Thai cannot.

latintopxxx
May 8th, 2014, 16:19
oliver my dear....the world isnt flat, there will always be a "them" and an "us"...I like the current system, keeps me supplied with a steady stream of cheap company....dont mess with a winning formula.

May 8th, 2014, 19:25
Naive to say the least, if you live here like it or not you are effected by the outcome same as you would be in your own country.Ultimately, things are fair. We cannot vote, so we have even less of a say than the average Thai. But we can easily get out in case things go tits up, something the average Thai cannot."... in case things go tits up". Surely you mean "when things go tits up"? I thought King Bhumibol's speech this week on Coronation Day was particularly eloquent on this point.

bkkguy
May 8th, 2014, 19:50
Those of us who have boyfriends or even acquaintances in Thailand cannot fail to be aware of the class divisions there and of how the working classes are exploited and abused by the royalist/military elite.

those of us with boyfriends, friends, business contacts, etc from areas other than the North and Isarn, or capable or sourcing information from a multitude of sources, cannot fail to be aware that there is more than one "elite" in Thailand, but they all share some common attributes - an unwillingness to give up any power or influence that they have acquired and a willingness to continue to exploit and abuse the lower levels of society for their own benefit regardless of which side of the political divide they are on

For a decade, democratic elections won by parties representing the vast majority of Thais have been overturned by this elite.

I am sick of hearing this - democracy is not just about counting votes in sham elections! Thailand is no closer now to being a working democracy now than it was in 1932, neither side of the political divide is seriously interested in moving in that direction, and anyone who expects to achieve "reform" in 6, 12 or 18 months before or after the next election is just playing political games! it would take a complete re-structuring of Thai society and a generational change in respect for rule of law, control of corruption, respect for freedom of speech and freedom of the press etc - this is hardly surprising, no mature western democracy was built in such a short time, and all of them are facing serious problems and internal threats. democracy well may be the best available option but it does tend to evolve into a parody of itself over time!

This is yet another coup; an unelected body has undermined democracy. The thugs in Lumpini didn't succeed; and the military was frightened. So the judges stepped in to deal with "the buffaloes" as they call them....the working classes.

the judges decision removed a handful of elected officials that another court had already ruled had behaved illegally - they did not bring down a "democratically elected" government, they made no reference to "the buffaloes" in their decision

and I don't know any western democracies where courts examining government corruption issues or constitutional issues have elected judges so I am not sure why you think an "unelected body has undermined democracy" is such a Thai only issue!

bkkguy

Oliver
May 8th, 2014, 21:01
This was not the first time. As soon as a party which represents the needs and aspirations of Thais outside the royalist/military elite wins an election, that elite plans and plots to remove it and its leaders. And don't think that this is the end of the plotting; the next move will be to remove the government itself.
These latest pseudo legal moves by political judges, themselves wealthy members of that elite whose only contact with the poor is when they give instructions to their maids, are merely the latest means to achieve an end; the disenfranchisement of the poor. And no, the racist epithet did not appear in the legal documentation; it didn't need to. The speeches of Suthep, the behaviour of the military and the fascistic thuggishness of the Yellow Shirts are enough. I saw this for myself in Lumpini in January.
No one, even the increasingly demented Suthep, doubts that the present government would win an election- any election based on one person, one vote. That's why they don't want one, preferring an oligarchical government appointed by.... themselves. And such a regime having been imposed, what chances will the average guy in Isaan have of getting his vote back or his voice heard?
We saw what sort of person would be the new leaders; the perpetrators of the massacre of Red Shirts ( and those attempting to report it, or minister to the injured), who are the heirs to another similar one a couple of decades ago.
In my view, the Red Shirts have no alternative but to mobilise their overwhelming support.

Up2U
May 8th, 2014, 22:03
Must say Oliver's post makes a lot of sense. I only hope the UN or other ASEAN countries can bring the two sides together but I am not optimistic. For those that visit occasionally and are maybe yawning now, this is the real deal and just wait when you know who dies.

scottish-guy
May 9th, 2014, 00:19
........ just wait when you know who dies.

This is either unnecessary worrying or wishful thinking on your part - according to a447 "you know who" was tucking into half a cow in the Ambiance Hotel just last week.

:p

lego
May 9th, 2014, 01:15
Ultimately, things are fair. We cannot vote, so we have even less of a say than the average Thai. But we can easily get out in case things go tits up, something the average Thai cannot."... in case things go tits up". Surely you mean "when things go tits up"? I thought King Bhumibol's speech this week on Coronation Day was particularly eloquent on this point.
That was actually meant as a pretty general remark. Foreigners usually don't have certain privileges (such as the right to vote), but in exchange, they are usually free to leave whenever they want to (or more to the point, have a place where they can go). Back to the current situation in Thailand, in my opinion being a foreigner who can leave anytime beats being part of the Thai electorate. But to answer your question, unlike other observers I don't think that the worst case scenario (a full-blown civil war, to spell it out) is the only possible way this will play out. Therefor, no, I wrote AND I meant "if" instead of "when".

joe552
May 9th, 2014, 04:17
I think that those of us who only travel to Thailand occasionally should be concerned about the current situation - if only for the impact on our travel insurance. I remember that in 2010 (or thereabouts) the Irish government issued a warning against travel to Thailand, which effectively invalidated insurance for those who chose to ignore that advice (not me, I went to Cambodia instead).

I guess my main point is that expats in Thailand should be concerned about the political developments there. It can have an impact on everyone's daily life. To ignore what is going on, is just foolish in my opinion

lego
May 9th, 2014, 15:01
I'm quite sure that most expats are both concerned and keep themselves up to date, it's hardly rocket science that any change for the worse will likely affect us. That doesn't mean that you have to join the panic mongering camp, however. In my case, since I'm working here for a company that isn't headquartered in Thailand, we also needed to come up with a contingency plan for our Thailand operations to please my boss in the US. That's all been in place since a long time (we've had all kinds of turmoil in recent years, remember?) and it's being updated and reassessed whenever necessary. I'm sure it's the same with other companies as well, but we obviously cannot just jump ship whenever a police unit clashes with some protesters somewhere in Bangkok (or whenever yet another prime minister is replaced, so far they've always found another one to fill the void).

As far as tourism is concerned, personally I wouldn't take any risk. Others are more adventurous (or maybe foolish) and if it goes wrong that's their problem.

PeterUK
May 9th, 2014, 16:18
In my view, the Red Shirts have no alternative but to mobilise their overwhelming support.

Vive la revolution! But don't forget - with the proviso that Thaksin is willing to finance them, of course. They don't have their own means for any kind of prolonged protest. And then they will just be pawns in a political chess game played out by the shrewd, venal members of Thailand's corrupt elites, as usual.

bkkguy
May 9th, 2014, 19:19
These latest pseudo legal moves by political judges, themselves wealthy members of that elite whose only contact with the poor is when they give instructions to their maids, are merely the latest means to achieve an end; the disenfranchisement of the poor.

And Taksin's contact with the poor via Skype from Dubai is an improvement on this how? and what is the end he is trying to achieve? I see little evidence that it is to help the poor - unless his family and cronies benefit significantly more than the poor ever will! The rice pledging scheme is a classic example of this!

No one, even the increasingly demented Suthep, doubts that the present government would win an election- any election based on one person, one vote. That's why they don't want one, preferring an oligarchical government appointed by.... themselves.

absolutely! recent elections in Thailand have returned some of the best governments money can buy - that's why Taksin loves them! but neither another pseudo-democratically elected Pheua Thai clone or some "neutral" Suthep oligarch will achieve anything for Thailand in the long run - both sides are more than willing to f*ck the country for their own personal gain!

And such a regime having been imposed, what chances will the average guy in Isaan have of getting his vote back or his voice heard?

I still find it hard to understand why people continue to think that Taksin/Pheua Thai/UDD/Red Shirts are even remotely interested in the "voice" of the "average guy in Isaan" - though they are obviously interested in his vote, at any cost to the nation

We saw what sort of person would be the new leaders; the perpetrators of the massacre of Red Shirts

ah yes I remember it well - the UDD/Red Shirt leaders on stage urging calm and negotiating in good faith with the government, the innocent red shirt protestors with no weapons, no barricades, there (unpaid and having given up lucrative jobs at home) to have their voices heard and ready to return home peacefully at a moments notice, when suddenly the troops stormed in with no warning at all and massacred them all!

Could I have some of the drugs you are on?

bkkguy

Oliver
May 10th, 2014, 15:43
So farewell universal suffrage. Only those who have a certain amount of money (identified by nice Mr Suthep) should be allowed to vote. Or perhaps he'd prefer the Apartheid model; skin colour. Those nasty dark-skinned buffaloes, so easily duped into voting for a party that supports their interests...how dare they presume to have a say in the running of their own country? They aren't clever enough. They should go back to rice-farming and working as house maids to the likes of Mr Suthep, leaving decision-making to their betters. How different they are to the light-skinned , wealthy Suthep backers, who are never ever influenced by personal interests.

The Constitutional Court, exploited by the fascists and royalists, was established by the military regime after their coup to ensure that, never again, would working-class people enjoy the fruits of their vote. Democracy?

Suthep has repeatedly called for insurrection and encouraged violence; why is he still free? The judicial system exists to try and punish the poor, not the rich and powerful. No wonder that the perpetrators of the massacre (including Suthep) are confident of escaping justice.

bkkguy
May 10th, 2014, 19:18
Those nasty dark-skinned buffaloes, so easily duped into voting for a party that supports their interests...how dare they presume to have a say in the running of their own country? They aren't clever enough.

that at least is one thing that Taksin and Suthep can agree on!

They should go back to rice-farming and working as house maids to the likes of Mr Suthep, leaving decision-making to their betters.

does Yingluck not have a maid? or any of the UDD leaders? or you? I'll fess up - I have a maid, she comes in once a week and I have no idea who she votes for! maybe you are just jealous because you can't afford one!

Suthep has repeatedly called for insurrection and encouraged violence; why is he still free?

indeed! and why are the UDD and Red Shirt leaders who have repeatedly called for insurrection and encouraged violence still free?

I suppose once Suthep's supporters burn down a shopping mall and the Pheua Thai government sends in the troops to massacre them the wheel will have come full circle and everyone can be happy and the name calling and blaming the other side for everything under the sun can finally stop

bkkguy

latintopxxx
May 10th, 2014, 22:28
oh heaven help us, instead of discussing gay stuff like shopping, fashion, bars, clubs and "boys"we've gone all american and now have a local version of the republicans vs democrats.....where both sides scream at one another but neither listens.
For heavens sake will u all grwo up and focus on whats important.

joe552
May 10th, 2014, 22:43
well said, latin, spoken like a real sex tourist. might piss off some of the residents though.

bkkguy
May 11th, 2014, 19:51
For heavens sake will u all grwo up and focus on whats important.

fair enough, so who would you prefer to off from a bar in Boyztown - Thaksin or Suthep? both are tops with lots of experience in f*cking people

bkkguy

latintopxxx
May 11th, 2014, 21:47
u gotta have me mixed up with some other latin....this boy tops only...i do all the riding..got the saddle and whip to prove it too....

DamienZ
May 12th, 2014, 01:55
.......I hope the courts uphold the rights of the peoples choices in the general election.

Even the Americans can't manage that (Gore v Bush 2000) - so I have very little expectation of the Thais doing so.

Politics
n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.-Ambrose Bierce

Awe Man..I remember that election very well-actually thought we had it in the bag! One thought that crossed my mind is that in all the turmoil, Thailand is testing the durability of it's constitution, which could be considered a good thing. Every country has it's hanging chads. IMHO I think it is important for travelers, expats and tourist alike to stay abreast of the changing political tides and opinions in what ever country we are visiting (and it's just my opinion). I think it is obviously something one would ignore at ones own peril. I like to read the opinion and editorial columns of The Nation and The BKK Post. My favorite journalist currently being: Voranai Vanijaka (BKK Post) and Pornpimol Kanchanalak (The Nation). Here is a recent editorial from Khun Kanchanalak which was thought provoking to say the least.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion ... 32658.html (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/We-are-degenerating-just-like-Venice-did-in-the-18-30232658.html)

Oliver
May 12th, 2014, 14:55
The Nation's columnist speaks admiringly of Abhisit, ultimately responsible, as P.M., for the massacre of at least a hundred citizens; a man who should be in gaol for murder.
The two English language dailies are in the forefront of the elite's battle against democracy, representing the interests of the rich and the powerful. I suggest that they be read with caution.
It's a great pity that the The Nation and the Bangkok Post are the only two Thai newspapers read by tourists and expats who are thereby denied the opportunity of hearing the voices of the vast majority of Thai people.

Up2U
May 12th, 2014, 17:37

Politics
n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.-Ambrose Bierce

Awe Man..I remember that election very well-actually thought we had it in the bag! One thought that crossed my mind is that in all the turmoil, Thailand is testing the durability of it's constitution, which could be considered a good thing. Every country has it's hanging chads. IMHO I think it is important for travelers, expats and tourist alike to stay abreast of the changing political tides and opinions in what ever country we are visiting (and it's just my opinion). I think it is obviously something one would ignore at ones own peril. I like to read the opinion and editorial columns of The Nation and The BKK Post. My favorite journalist currently being: Voranai Vanijaka (BKK Post) and Pornpimol Kanchanalak (The Nation). Here is a recent editorial from Khun Kanchanalak which was thought provoking to say the least.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion ... 32658.html (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/We-are-degenerating-just-like-Venice-did-in-the-18-30232658.html)

I would not depend on the two national English newspapers for insight into the current political situation. In depth reporting and analysis is not part of their makeup.

The first paragraph in the link is a bunch of bs. When it comes to corruption, Abhisit and his buddy Suthep are near the top of the list. I see them as part of the problem and not the solution. Read the Wiki leaks cables for some true insight.

Smiles
May 13th, 2014, 07:13
" ... When it comes to corruption, Abhisit and his buddy Suthep are near the top of the list. I see them as part of the problem and not the solution ... "
The two you mention are undoubtedly guilty as charged (as every Thai pol is), but you fail to mention the ridiculously corrupt Mr Thaksin Shinawatra ~ brother and master of his sister, the former PM, Ms Yingluk.

Ironically, Mr Shinawatra is ~ still is ~ one of the most wealthy men in Thailand. Under any other circumstance he would be considered a top member of the infamous Thailand 'Amart', although for some opportunistic reason ~ and great PR ~ he seems to have morphed into the saviour of the downtrodden poor.
Oliver will grab any thin and pathetic straw that he can which ~ in his world view ~ constitutes a potential hero of the proletarian mobilization. Too bad he's stuck in a semi-socialist world which ended in ruins at least 30 years ago.
Oliver's last bred-in-the-bone saviour/murderer/hero was Joseph Stalin: so much for ivory tower ironies. Oliver would have you up against the wall and the firing squad if he could possibly get it done: thank god the majority keep him from that goal. The man loves the smell of potential proletarian blood in the air: " ... In my view, the Red Shirts have no alternative but to mobilise their overwhelming support ... " he wrote above.

The Yellow Shirts and the Red Shirts in Thailand are digging in deep chasing after two things and two things only (as it always is): power and money (are they not the same?) ... not to mention staking out potential Power Positions ahead of the inevitable demise of ...
Such quests are the only dog bones which matter in this country, and easily trump the more esoteric concepts of 'Democracy', 'Social Justice', a non-political justice system etc etc etc ... the long list of societal touchstones we in the west naively savour and salivate over when the barricades are being erected.

Do I think the Puea Thai Party/Red Shirts have the masses of Isaan Thai farmers and workers in their sights for social 'betterment'?: it is to laugh uproariously.
Do I think Mr Suthep and his mob (Yellow Shirts) have the best interests of Everybody Else in their crosshairs?: it is to laugh even harder.

DamienZ
May 13th, 2014, 07:46
Most excellent analysis of the current situation spoken from some years experience.
Thanks Smiles.

Khor tose
May 13th, 2014, 13:12
" .
Do I think the Puea Thai Party/Red Shirts have the masses of Isaan Thai farmers and workers in their sights for social 'betterment'?: it is to laugh uproariously.
Do I think Mr Suthep and his mob (Yellow Shirts) have the best interests of Everybody Else in their crosshairs?: it is to laugh even harder.

Yes, but it still comes down to the fact that you think the Thais who vote are really to stupid to vote for the side they think is the lessor of the two evils, and if Oliver is salivating over a concept like democracy, it may be because it is still the best system out there.

Up2U
May 13th, 2014, 13:28
" ... When it comes to corruption, Abhisit and his buddy Suthep are near the top of the list. I see them as part of the problem and not the solution ... "
The two you mention are undoubtedly guilty as charged (as every Thai pol is), but you fail to mention the ridiculously corrupt Mr Thaksin Shinawatra ~ brother and master of his sister, the former PM, Ms Yingluk.

Ironically, Mr Shinawatra is ~ still is ~ one of the most wealthy men in Thailand. Under any other circumstance he would be considered a top member of the infamous Thailand 'Amart', although for some opportunistic reason ~ and great PR ~ he seems to have morphed into the saviour of the downtrodden poor.
Oliver will grab any thin and pathetic straw that he can which ~ in his world view ~ constitutes a potential hero of the proletarian mobilization. Too bad he's stuck in a semi-socialist world which ended in ruins at least 30 years ago.
Oliver's last bred-in-the-bone saviour/murderer/hero was Joseph Stalin: so much for ivory tower ironies. Oliver would have you up against the wall and the firing squad if he could possibly get it done: thank god the majority keep him from that goal. The man loves the smell of potential proletarian blood in the air: " ... In my view, the Red Shirts have no alternative but to mobilise their overwhelming support ... " he wrote above.

The Yellow Shirts and the Red Shirts in Thailand are digging in deep chasing after two things and two things only (as it always is): power and money (are they not the same?) ... not to mention staking out potential Power Positions ahead of the inevitable demise of ...
Such quests are the only dog bones which matter in this country, and easily trump the more esoteric concepts of 'Democracy', 'Social Justice', a non-political justice system etc etc etc ... the long list of societal touchstones we in the west naively savour and salivate over when the barricades are being erected.

Oh I did implicitly mention Mr. TS, who was at the top list. I do question some of the charges and allegations against him simply because of the sources, and let's not forget these anticorruption commissions and constitutional courts are politically motivated. I agree with much of your post. My sense is this unrest on both sides is not about TS per se(despite what the yellow shirts say) but is much deeper and goes to the core of Thai society ... the monarchy, the military, the elite and class divisions.

Oliver
May 13th, 2014, 14:34
There seems to be a tendency to confuse the Red Shirts with Pheu Thai and both organisations with the Thaksin clan. The Red Shirts are outside the Thai establishment; that's why they ate feared and that's why they represent Thailand's best hope for a truly democratic future.

Up2U
May 13th, 2014, 16:05
There seems to be a tendency to confuse the Red Shirts with Pheu Thai and both organisations with the Thaksin clan. The Red Shirts are outside the Thai establishment; that's why they ate feared and that's why they represent Thailand's best hope for a truly democratic future.

The red shirts or better, The United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), is a political action group setup to counter the yellow shirts (PAD, PDRC) and allies itself with the current government and Pheu Thai Party. I suspect a card carrying member of Pheu Thai would sympathize with the red shirt agenda since informally they are joined at the hip. Sort of like the Tea Party within the Republican Party in America. Reportedly, the red shirts get their funding from the Thaksin clan.

For the yellow shirts the old PAD, People's Alliance for Democracy, a misnomer, who brought down TS and Samut, his successor, evolved to Suthep 's action group the PDRC. The PDRC ally themselves with the Democrats but Democrats would never admit to being a PDRC member even though they are joined at the hip. Of course, the PDRC, has toppled another democratically elected government.

lego
May 14th, 2014, 01:22
When the circus is in town again, please remember to ask if there's a vacant spot in their clown troupe. This statement of yours is priceless, let's simply enshrine it.

DamienZ
May 15th, 2014, 10:08
Up2You wrote

"I would not depend on the two national English newspapers for insight into the current political situation. In depth reporting and analysis is not part of their makeup.

The first paragraph in the link is a bunch of bs. When it comes to corruption, Abhisit and his buddy Suthep are near the top of the list. I see them as part of the problem and not the solution. Read the Wiki leaks cables for some true insight."

I actually get some of my news from Foreign Affairs (broad strokes) which has a recent small article on the present political situation and short summary of Thai Politics posted in January of this year.
I like to read the opinions of local papers just to check which way the wind is blowing. There is a great book that I lost on my last trip overseas called Churchill CEO. I cannot remember the quote (so I will paraphrase and my sincerest apologies to Churchill scholars on the board) but it went something to the effect that no matter how close we are, or enmeshed in a foreign culture, we will never understand the shifting tides, and sentiments of the occidental cultures. I just spent a year living with the Khmer, and was present for the last big election, and I tend to agree with Churchill.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ ... n-thailand (http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/141401/duncan-mccargo/out-of-luck-in-thailand)

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/features/ ... i-takedown (http://www.foreignaffairs.com/features/letters-from/thai-takedown)

Up2U
May 15th, 2014, 12:54
Good links above. Here is another about a group of academics explaining why the logic of an "appointed" PM is flawed:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandal ... democracy/ (http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2013/12/11/assembly-for-the-defence-of-democracy/)