PDA

View Full Version : Visa Help requested - letter of employment

colmx
April 29th, 2014, 00:34
Hi All
After a 3 year absence - BF has decided that he would like to visit Ireland again this summer
He has previously visited Ireland 5 times with mixed success.

One of the most important requirements in the visa application process is that he must have a "reason to return to Thailand at the end of his visa"
The usual mix of answers here is the shanoot to his house in Buriram, the age of his parents, past "good behaviour" and a letter from his employer granting him holidays

Unfortunately the people that previouly supplied us with an employment letter are no longer in a position to do this and BF is not working at the moment.

Is there anyone out there with a legitimate business in Thailand that would be willing to do a "fake" letter for us?

I have a standard template that i have used in the past - i just needs to be on headed notepaper with business "stamp" and phone number etc
Note that this letter goes to the embassy in Malaysia for a decison - so there is no issue with the Thai authorities regarding the letter

If anyone is willing to lend me a hand i would be most grateful, and if so please drop me a PM

Thanks in Advance!

PS. Not looking for any lectures as to the legality or illegality of what i have requested... BF is a genuine tourist that would like to visit my country but is unfortunately hampered by paperwork and jobsworths!

Manforallseasons
April 29th, 2014, 03:14
I hope you're joking, you really expect someone to jeopardize there status here in Thailand?

scottish-guy
April 29th, 2014, 12:50
But Wombatty - since when did "obese septuagenarian alcoholic serial-shagger with dodgy Visa" constitute having "status"?

:-o

lego
April 29th, 2014, 14:32
I hope you're joking, you really expect someone to jeopardize there status here in Thailand?
I agree. I could issue such a letter, but doing so would constitute a crime on two counts (firstly my own action, secondly knowingly being the accessory to a crime perpetrated by another individual). Why would I do that for a stranger, or at all? If I were corrupt, at the very least I'd charge a hefty amount for taking that risk.

Now that I'm at it, I might just add my opinion regarding Thai BFs who don't see the need to work, for whatever reason: If the OP really wants to help his BF and foolishly thinks that engaging in visa fraud is the right way, he can just fake the document outright by himself, it doesn't make a big difference: Copy the letterhead and fake the stamp of any big Western company operating in Thailand, and Bob is your uncle! The better way, in my humble opinion, would be to tell the BF something along the lines of, "If you really want to visit my home country, a country much different from Thailand where fake documents are used on a daily basis without a second thought, get a f-ing job and f-ing work so that you'll have the document you'll need to show". Amen.

scottish-guy
April 29th, 2014, 15:05
I can see the replies to Colmx's query are going to reveal a fascinating psychological insight into self-delusion.

A load of law-abiding, high and mighty, holier-than-thou claptrap from people who happily frequent brothels masquerading as bars and who hire prostitutes on a daily/weekly basis - you just couldn't make it up!!

=))

colmx
April 29th, 2014, 15:49
I agree. I could issue such a letter, but doing so would constitute a crime on two counts (firstly my own action, secondly knowingly being the accessory to a crime perpetrated by another individual). Why would I do that for a stranger, or at all? If I were corrupt, at the very least I'd charge a hefty amount for taking that risk..
Hi Lego
As per my original post i am not looking for a lecture on the legality or morality of what i asked... After 15 years of posting on these boards and all of the visa posts over the years... I feel that i have built up enough "reputation" amongst some of the posters that one may be willing to help.

What you consider fraud - i consider a "white lie" especially as i know how the visa office works in Bkk at this stage (no letter = turned away at the hatch, even though it is NOT a pre-requisite!)

Now that I'm at it, I might just add my opinion regarding Thai BFs who don't see the need to work, for whatever reason:.... get a f-ing job and f-ing work so that you'll have the document you'll need to show". Amen.

I have been with the same BF for 11.5 years noww, he does work at times, but current circumstances (3 visits in quick succession by me) means that it currently suits us both that he is not working.
e.g. A farang friend of mine was recently in Thailand and his BF was working for 7 or the 10 days that he was here... And all for a miserable 6K B for the month... we were spending more on a night out in Boystown and NAB than the boy earns in a month!

Manforallseasons
April 29th, 2014, 21:48
Scottish-guy your desperation for recognition is growing, why not just say "Does anyone remember me I was once a moderator"?

lego
April 29th, 2014, 22:07
As per my original post i am not looking for a lecture on the legality or morality of what i asked... After 15 years of posting on these boards and all of the visa posts over the years... I feel that i have built up enough "reputation" amongst some of the posters that one may be willing to help.
Fair point regarding the morality, which I'm not concerned about in this case. I'm very much against the visa rules that make it quite hard for many Thais to travel myself. But regarding the legality, you're basically asking for someone to break the law for your benefit. If anyone is willing to do that for you and your boyfriend, so be it, but as this request was sent to a public forum, you really shouldn't be surprised (after 15 years of posting on these boards) about "unhelpful" answers like mine.

As for the second part of my post, that was just my opinion based on my own experiences, and your mileage might very well vary. My Thai friends are mostly college educated Bangkokians, they typically work and their salary is much higher than the 6k per month you've mentioned. Even those with just high school can make 20k here in Bangkok if they have qualifications such as language skills. If these 6k are indeed the maximum amount your BF can expect as a salary, I have to agree with you that it doesn't seem worthwhile, considering that you're there for him. I also understand that resigning to that fate is more common than pursuing an education to have better career options.

scottish-guy
April 29th, 2014, 23:34
Scottish-guy your desperation for recognition is growing, why not just say "Does anyone remember me I was once a moderator"?

Hilarious stuff, MFAS - when it comes to self-promotion no-one can even remotely compete with you!! You just can't resist giving us all the very dubious "benefit" of your opinion on every subject under the sun. If somebody opened their legs you'd give us a review of it.

You should consider changing your ID to Martini - opinions given anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Your tag could even be "It's the right one - it's the shite one, it's Martini"

Have a nice day!

:))

Manforallseasons
April 30th, 2014, 00:12
I used to enjoy your wit, that's gone too.

dab69
April 30th, 2014, 07:22
Probably would be easier to just head to the internet shop for a little copy and paste using
their printer.

travelerjim
April 30th, 2014, 08:44
Can you MARRY HIM?
Get a Fiance Visa?

Not sure what your laws are in your country...
but after 10+ years knowing him...
Maybe time to get married ???

Just a thought...

tj

christianpfc
April 30th, 2014, 16:34
How about finding a job and getting a genuine letter of employment? Finding a job should be no problem, but the intention to take a holiday (a long holiday shortly after starting work) has to be discussed with the employer. As far as I know, there is no entitlement to holiday in the first year of work.

cdnmatt
April 30th, 2014, 20:10
What you consider fraud - i consider a "white lie"

Yeah, well, tell that to a judge in a Thai courtroom and see what happens. "it wasn't fraud your majesty, just a little white lie". I'm sure that will go over well.

Go download a torrent of Photoshop or something, and make a fraudulent letter yourself, instead of asking a business and its owner to put their name, immigration status, and freedom on the line so you can bring your BF over to Ireland for a visit.

catawampuscat
April 30th, 2014, 20:29
It's really a moot point.
Nobody in their right mind would falsify documents for another poster. Really very silly to even ask

Smiles
April 30th, 2014, 21:36
What you consider fraud - i consider a "white lie" Yeah, well, tell that to a judge in a Thai courtroom and see what happens.
The Thai court system would have zero to do with anything discussed here.
Colmx's boyfriend is applying for a visa to visit Ireland, so It's the Irish justice system he should be watching out for.
For the use of a fraudulent document Colmx's boyfriend would be the one in jeopardy of (1) failing his visa application ... or, even worse, (2) if he actually made it to Irish soil and then found out, being deported and possibly black-balled, possibly permanently.

A very very bad idea all 'round, in my opinion.

cdnmatt
April 30th, 2014, 23:32
But if the Irish govt actually followed up with the Thai "employer", discovered it was fraudulent, wouldn't they maybe drop a quick note to the Thai police to let them know a company is handing out fraudulent records of employment?

RonanTheBarbarian
May 1st, 2014, 00:50
But if the Irish govt actually followed up with the Thai "employer", discovered it was fraudulent, wouldn't they maybe drop a quick note to the Thai police to let them know a company is handing out fraudulent records of employment?

Remember, this is all a nonsensical paper exercise by the Irish embassy in Kuala Lumpur.

They will basically check if the paperwork looks reasonably plausible, and if they discover any anomalies, they will just refuse the visa. I think the likelihood of a probably overworked Visa-processing section contacting the Thai police about this is extremely remote.

It would be interesting to see what law could possibly be in place in Thailand regarding making it illegal to provide a separate sovereign government with incorrect information (obviously easy for me to say from my PC in Dublin!)

If the Irish embassy in Kuala Lumpur do any check at all, I imagine it might be to call the Thai phone number provided to see if (a) it works and (b) it is answered by somebody who knows about the letter. Which is why doing a photo-shop job might not work.

Best of luck with your search for help, Colmx.

Smiles
May 1st, 2014, 00:59
... much more likely that the Thai police would totally ignore it, and then proceed to gather money from the 'employer' for ignoring it.

mahjongguy
May 1st, 2014, 12:19
If the Irish office in KL is really that unreasonable, he could consider applying for a UK tourist visa instead. That would allow him transit to Ireland without additional documentation.

"As and from 18 November 2013 nationals of Thailand may avail of the Irish Short-stay Visa Waiver. This Programme allows visitors who hold UK short stay visas and who have travelled through the UK to travel on to Ireland without the need to apply for a separate Irish visa.
All holder of the UK short stay visas must enter and leave from the UK once."

Nirish guy
May 1st, 2014, 15:55
Thanks for the useful info above, I certainly wasn't aware of that and trying to get any info out of the Irish government re visa requirements generally for friends travelling South by telephone seems to be almost impossible these days it seems as due to the financial cut backs there no matter which department you ring or are transferred to it goes to answer machine now saying no one to take calls anymore and you should send a letter :-(

So can I just nip in and ask a quick question in case any of you (Irish) guys might know ( sorry Colmx for derailing but it's just one question then it's back to your thread again I promise) .....I've a Phillippino "friend" who has a permanent right to reside here in the UK so does he need a visa to travel South or not now or is there a waiver in place for that ( which would seem logical, especially after reading the above) as everytime we nip down to the George for the weekend he's sweating blood until he's back over the border again - so is he panicing needlessly or is he still at risk of arrest perhaps - anyone know ?

Sorry Colmx, so back to your OP now ....

Nirish guy
May 1st, 2014, 21:34
Thanks to Majhongguy for a very comprehensive reply by PM to my above query.