PDA

View Full Version : message still not getting through

gregvc
April 21st, 2014, 23:20
spent a nice Sunday at 39 sauna. But I was still shocked to see guys getting multiple fucks without condoms. One handsome well built 20-30 yrs old received 3 fucks willingly without raising objection. Simple maths would produce awful % of the possibility of being infected. Especially given the recent figures from Red Cross of HIV positive "men who have sex with men". I think the % of positives in the testing has gone from 17% to 29% in 8 yrs. A friend went to the funeral last weekend of his good friend who worked in Pattaya. A handsome guy who was a money boy for as few years but lapsed quickly without being diagnosed until near the end. It frightened my friend into being tested. Once they get sick, who cares for them? Rarely the customers I would think. The 30 baht medical scheme doesn't go far. I think it would be wise to assume that the Pattaya boys are at least 30% positive but hopefully on medication which means they can work and their faces and bodies do not show the wasting that was so visible in the early 2000's.

lukylok
April 22nd, 2014, 01:43
If you ever have any sexual contact, without protection, everywhere - and not only in LOS - you are a bloody fool !
You may as well play russian roulette !

gregvc
April 22nd, 2014, 02:04
yes, Lukylok. Of course to have a welcoming bottom in front of you is tempting but if you do the maths with the number of sessions the guy probably puts in it should shock you into declining (which I did). I sat there wanting to yell out a message of danger but I did not. I think Thai saunas and bars could do better in responding to the HIV menace. I hate to think what will be the future for Thai gays in 10 or so years after a decade of unsafe acts. Thailand was such a leader for a while but now it has retreated.

BonTong
April 22nd, 2014, 08:31
Thoroughly agree with gregvc. The situation here in Chiang Mai is no better, statistics I've seen, particularly among sauna goers still make grim reading. A poignant topic at this time of year as we just passed the second anniversary of the death of a well known local guy. Here are my thoughts from that time: Chaing Mai City News: Gone or Forgotten? (http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/blog.php?id=135) Not sure too much has changed since then, though the current "get tested" campaign has had some visibility (www.testbkk.org (http://www.testbkk.org/)).

One of the promo videos has proved quite popular if you haven't seen it:

[youtube:3bs7op9f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seggqghc4yk[/youtube:3bs7op9f]

lego
April 22nd, 2014, 14:15
Yes, it's a terrible mess these days. The numbers of Thais who'd have been at the very least willing (some even expressing a clear preference) to bottom for me without a condom boggles the mind. The usual reaction to my objection is, "I usually don't do that, but I know you're healthy" or something along these lines. AS IF you could tell from looking at someone that he's STD free!

For the sake of honesty, nobody is perfect and I did some unprotected fooling around when I was younger myself. That wasn't really a conscious decision to take the risk in my case, more a spur of the moment kind of thing despite all the best intentions and the best education money can buy. ;) It was the exception, not the norm, but I'm afraid it seems to be the other way round for many gay Bangkokians nowadays. What saved me and probably many others is that the rate of transmission is quite low (compared to other infectious diseases) and that those I usually plaid with probably weren't from a high risk group (compared to the HIV rates we're seeing here now). One thing is for sure, I wouldn't dare to have the same relaxed (foolish) attitude here in Bangkok and at this time, I'm sure my luck would run out eventually.

scottish-guy
April 22nd, 2014, 20:32
The OP has a very funny idea of what constitutes a "nice Sunday" - but each to his own I guess.

:ymsick:

DamienZ
April 25th, 2014, 10:02
Great Video BT
excellent way of getting an important public safety message across.
Thanks