PDA

View Full Version : Mosaic in Pattaya

topforthai
April 12th, 2014, 08:49
In years past I always stayed at Howard's Guest House and enjoyed my stay there. This year that is not an option so I am looking for a new place to stay. I am leaning towards the Mosaic Apartments. Can anyone tell me if I can get clean towels there every day or do I have to buy my own? Also what is the worst case scenario for a months worth of electricity. Thanks of any advise or alternatives.

lonelywombat
April 12th, 2014, 09:52
I recommend all my friends to stay here but it is in demand so you cannot wait and think about it.

Here is the direct link
http://www.mosaikpattaya.net/roomrates.html

This page gives the room rate at the bottom.

Mosaik is not a hotel but condo units. You can get clean linen daily, every few days or as you require, but pay extra for it.

The small studio condos are cramped but that is your decision. A lot of people ask for an electric fan to use rather that rely on the aircon.

Superb location but dont hesitate.

1PR4BKK
April 12th, 2014, 10:48
Hi Topforthai,

I have stayed at Mosaik many times over the years. As a matter of fact, I am checking in next week.

If I recall correctly, you get towels every day if youтАЩre staying on a daily rate and weekly. I recall them giving me towels every other day as a monthly guest. Lonelywombat is correct about not waiting to think about booking this at Mosaik. The one-bedroom units are quite comfortable and spacious. I have never stayed in the studio but I have been told that are certainly tight quarters.

Depending on your electricity usage (air conditioning/bathing/cooking/lights/etc.) your utility charges (water also) can be a shocker at check-out. It is usually still cheaper than staying at a full service hotel.

Best of luck on your accommodations.

Captain Swing
April 12th, 2014, 15:23
I stayed in Mosaik for 16 days, fifteen months ago( Dec 2012/Jan 2013) in a one bedroom "deluxe." I liked it a lot and enthusiastically recommend it. I looked up my receipt. I paid 1861 baht for electricity; that's not "worst-case"--I turned off the AC when I went out, and usually when I was asleep at night--fans were enough. I did some cooking, but not a lot. I never thought twice about the electric-- I used whatever, whenever I wanted, and was not at all dismayed by the final bill. I paid 95 baht for water--negligible. Clean towels only came with a room cleaning, which I got only when I asked for it--200 baht. Buying a couple towels might be a good idea. I see I was charged 110 baht for "housekeeping"--I simply don't remember what that was about. I was also charged 300 baht for "last day service"--self-explanatory. The staff were all pleasant, helpful, professional, easy to deal with. I paid my (estimated) bill a day or two before I left, to forestall any unpleasant surprises while my taxi was waiting on my last day. The total was almost exactly what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from (Nong?) shortly before I left--I had overpaid by 250 baht and should stop in the office for a refund before I left. A nice, classy, well-run, wonderfully convenient place, highly recommended. By the way, their laundry was very good, reliable and cheap too.

anonone
April 12th, 2014, 17:41
Good information so far. I too miss Howards guesthouse. Was a perfect location with a perfect setup.

For Mosaic, if you are visiting in low season, check agoda website. Sometimes Mosaic lists rooms there and it may be more like a hotel setup with daily cleaning, if booked that way...check the rate rules and such to be sure.

I found the mosaic beds to be way too hard...like sleeping on cement. I have heard others make this comment as well. Just FYI in case this will be an issue for you. Toward the end of my 1 week stay there, I was sleeping on the sofa...and not because of fights with BF. LOL Mosaic is in a great location and very well run with great staff and such.

Baan Dak Mai is a good alternative. Small guesthouse in the same area near tukcom. http://www.baandm.com/
Warrick is the owner and is a good host. I stayed there during my last visit and it was very nice. Beds much more comfortable. It is a small place, so no 24 hour reception, etc. if that is important to you.

There are several options in Sunee as well, but the only one I have experience with is the former Don Plaza, now called Elephant. More of a full service hotel setup instead of guesthouse.

Nirish guy
April 12th, 2014, 18:59
Anon, just so you know - and as you know I totally agreed with you re the beds in Mosaik but on my last trip was pleasantly surprised that they "seemed" a lot softer, now I'm not sure if this was my back had toughened us or just the beds had gotten a lot more use to loosen them up a bit but either way I found them ok last time - just in case it's a deal breaker for you ever going back there again yourself.

I had actuky told Nong I wouldn't be coming back if he put me somewhere with those same new mattresses and I'm wondering has he perhaps put my in an older matressed room, either way it was if not great by "ok" last time, just so you know - mind you having a few other bodies sharing it at the same time also worked wonders for lossening it up too so if all else fails you could always try that I guess :-)

anonone
April 13th, 2014, 08:09
Thanks for the mattress update NIrish. I wouldn't mind trying Mosaic again, but I do like to have daily service. Probably not worth it for my short trips, though I will check agoda to see if they have any deals on offer.

Manforallseasons
April 14th, 2014, 04:42
I don't think you need worry about the beds as chances are if you plan to come anywhere close to high season none will be available.

lonelywombat
April 14th, 2014, 08:07
Some time ago I was advised on this forum to check the condo's start and finish at the electricity meter, which are on every floor. They will show it to you.

You will be amazed a lot of people who book there leave the aircon running in both rooms for 24 hours, and often have the patio doors left wide open as well all day.

If you are paying for your electricity then don't complain.

topforthai
April 14th, 2014, 10:54
Thank you all for your kind reply and advise. :)

Dboy
April 30th, 2014, 10:45
If you like that block, don't forget about Flamingo Hotel right across the street. It was still open as of a couple of months ago...the place has been "in flux" for the past several years, but the rooms are being updated, price is good, front desk not too nosy, key-fob entry for late nights. Mosiak is definitely better, but it's often full.

Nirish guy
April 30th, 2014, 16:34
[attachment=1:1bh20wan]image 3.png[/attachment:1bh20wan]Theres also a brand new place directly across from Mosaik and whilst I didn't go in to check it certainly looked very new, clean and worth investigating - the building is just down from Blue boy massage and you can't miss it as it's signage is that new and shiny and really stands out in that block. I've just asked a massage friend in Blue boy to check the name for me and he's come back to say the place is called "Holidays Home", they haven't a web site up yet apparently but he sent me a few pics he took with his camera phone as taken from a flyer in reception and it certainly seems like good value for the area etc. Their phone number should you wish to check it out is ++66 878271810 and their rates are currently 800 baht a night for 3 nights dropping to 750 for a walk in after 6pm and 700 for longer - which for such a nice clean looking place in that location I think is quite good, I've attached the pics of their bedrooms and rates that my friend has just sent me.

colmx
May 3rd, 2014, 21:15
the building is just down from Blue boy massage and you can't miss it as it's signage is that new and shiny and really stands out in that block.

INoticed this place on my last trip too and it looks very nice from teh outside
The premises is the old Blue House Massage premises... so its seen a lot f gay action over the years (including my first ever massage!)

I understand that that old building needed to be completely gutted as it was practically falling down... However i don't think that there was sufficient time between my Jan and April visits for building that size to be completely gutted and rebuilt? So maybe its just a refurb...

Looking forward to seeing a review from somebody on this site!

colmx
May 3rd, 2014, 21:21
Jts noticed that they are on Agoda:
http://www.agoda.com/en-au/holidays-hom ... ya-th.html (http://www.agoda.com/en-au/holidays-home/hotel/pattaya-th.html)

16 rooms over 5 floors according to that site
Rooms look pretty good to my eye!

catawampuscat
May 3rd, 2014, 21:43
It was completely gutted..

Jetsam
September 6th, 2014, 23:03
Anon, just so you know - and as you know I totally agreed with you re the beds in Mosaik but on my last trip was pleasantly surprised that they "seemed" a lot softer,

Stayed there 2 weeks ago for 6 days and they have hardened them again , got used to it after 3 nights, and overall Mosaik is a very pleasant place to stay only wished they don't knock on the door to clean the room at 10 am. I asked if they could come back in the afternoon, no promblem. until next day 10.15 or so.
Also stayed at Baan dok mai for few days, as I did last year, and must say I preferred baan dok mai over Mosaik.

Nirish guy
September 7th, 2014, 01:38
The beds the beds !! - why oh why don't they just listen tho their customers and change at least SOME of their mattresses to at least give the option of hard or soft and I totally agree with you re the housekeeping 10am rounds, it's like being in a prisoner of war camp and all being instructed to be up by 10am as you hear them processing down the hallways hammering every door four times ( as obviously no one answers them) whilst shouting HOUSEKEEPING at the top of their lungs>

To be fair to the girls they're all nice and they mean well and they do take good care of you - maybe TOO much if you tip well as I get several extra "special" knocks each day. whether I ask for or am due a room clean or not, just to ensure I don't need (yet more) towels, although we've now worked out a system where I both lock the door AND put the chain on so after knocking and getting no response ( and I don't bother my ass getting out of bed or even shouting out to answer them anymore even) they then try to open the door to come on in, can't and then when they get what I've done and why and quietly bugger off again until such times as I stagger out for breakfast after lunch sometime and then they're up like whippets to clean the room for me again, so yes apart from those two things a great venue but why or why don't they just sort those very minor but SO annoying yet easily fixed things out!

Oh and before anyone suggested " the bleeding obvious " i.e. why don't you just tell them not to knock your door each morning, yeah, good luck with that, I've had that conversation nicely and not so nicely some many times I've lost count over the years, now as I know them all so well I just get giggles and smiles and lots of "ohhh you busy with boy, ok I see, ok we come back later then" - which to be fair to them I usually am :-)

Speaking of which - non have you stayed there already this trip ? - if so how did you get on, did you end up sofa surfing again or where the beds ok this time for you ( I;'m guessing I know the answer before I ask though :-(

joe552
September 7th, 2014, 04:15
I've never had a problem with a hard bed at Mosaik, and can't remember seeing house keeping staff, but then I'm an early riser - usually out of the room by 10.30. The guy I spent my last trip with has suggested a place on Soi Bukow (? sp) which is cheaper so I may give that a go. But I have no complaints about Mosaik after a few happy holidays there.

Dani69
September 7th, 2014, 17:25
If you as Nong he will gladly change the mattress to a softer one for you as he did for me in the past. :D

MiniMee
September 7th, 2014, 18:21
..... it's like being in a prisoner of war camp and all being instructed to be up by 10am as you hear them processing down the hallways hammering every door four times ( as obviously no one answers them) whilst shouting HOUSEKEEPING at the top of their lungs>

Oh and before anyone suggested " the bleeding obvious " i.e. why don't you just tell them not to knock your door each morning, yeah, good luck with that....

Surely "the bleeding obvious" would be to hang the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door knob. Don't they have those at Mosaic?

If not, a suggestion to the management to provide them might be a low-cost solution that they might agree too.

Dodger
September 7th, 2014, 20:06
I've been renting my own apartment for years - but if I wasn't I would be staying at Two Guys Guesthouse.

Spacious rooms - cleaned daily, free WIFI, great breakfasts ( I enjoy breakfast there every day without exception), which are free for guests. TG's is on Soi Yensabai - just a short stroll to Sunee Plaza. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.twoguysguesthouse.info/

Nirish guy
September 7th, 2014, 22:02
Surely "the bleeding obvious" would be to hang the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door knob. Don't they have those at mosaik.

No they don't have them there and yes they would be a good addition but I'm guessing the difference and reason they don't is that mosaik isn't sold as a hotel and the cleaners more just doing their normal daily rounds rather than cleaning your room to suit or please you if you know what I mean, but I totally agree a "bugger off and stop bothering me until later or until I call you" would indeed be a welcome addition - but that of course implies that the management do actually give a shit as to our happiness compared to the daily smooth running of their property as for every one person who "will never be back" there does luckily for the management but not us at least three more people ready to replace the first at any given time.

I should add with the exception of the hard beds and the attempted early wake up call from housekeeping I'm generally happy there anytime I stay.

anonone
September 10th, 2014, 17:59
Speaking of which - non have you stayed there already this trip ? - if so how did you get on, did you end up sofa surfing again or where the beds ok this time for you ( I;'m guessing I know the answer before I ask though :-(

Hi NIrish. I am just back home now.
We had a great stay at Mosaik. Bed was fine this time...well, at least as far as most beds go for Thai places. (We stayed at the Marriott one trip and it seems they import their special mattresses or something. Excellent sleep.)

We took a one-bedroom suite at Mosaik this time and it was great having the extra space and separate living room / TV area from the bedroom. 2 AC units, both worked very well. Large fridge. Microwave and hot water maker in the kitchen. Plates, silverware, glasses, and so on. All the linens were very nice and high quality.

We did not ever experience a 10 AM housekeeping knock, so I am surprised to read this has happened to others so regularly. Housekeeping was around enough to be convenient. When we headed out for our late afternoon "breakfast", we would typically see one of them around, which is when we would just ask them to take care of the room, if desired. Extra towels did not seem to be a problem (nice to have around for the occasional "guest" in the room). I was tipping 100 baht per occasion....is that about what others are doing?

Mosaik laundry shop located just down from their office did a nice job and did not seem too much more expensive then seeking out someplace remote.

We were happy enough that I booked them again for a future trip. We had to compromise a bit on the type of room as they were heavily booked. It was nice booking in person as they showed me the exact room that we would have reserved.