PDA

View Full Version : Don Muang Airport

paperboy
April 11th, 2014, 06:18
hi everyone
getting closer to my june visit
i was wondering how far is the Don Muang Airport from the malasia hotel.
I will be getting a taxi, how long should i give myself for the journey

thanks
paperboy

Jellybean
April 11th, 2014, 12:23
Not sure why you are asking about the journey time from the airport paperboy. Usually members are more concerned about the journey time back to the airport to catch their flight home. But to answer your question, it all depends on the time of your arrival. But, as a rule of thumb, IтАЩd allow about 1 hour.

If you are in a hurry, IтАЩd ask the taxi driver to take the expressway (bpai taang duan kr├бp in Thai) and pay the toll charges. I paid 110 baht in toll charges in January 2014 when I used Don Muang Airport. ThatтАЩs slightly higher than the 70 baht I normally pay from Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Have fun! :)

paperboy
April 11th, 2014, 17:38
thanks jellybean

christianpfc
April 12th, 2014, 18:43
I was living close to Don Muang Airport.

Distance to Malaysia about 20 km, at night it takes 30 minutes or even less, during daytime 1 hour or more (both normal roads).

Once I went by expressway during daytime, about 30 minutes (20 minutes on expressway, but detours and traffic jam to get on and off the expressway).

orson
April 16th, 2014, 10:24
are there airport buses from don muang to the silom area?

dinagam
April 16th, 2014, 13:28
There is a dedicated bus from Don Muang to Mor Chit, Chatuchak BTS/MRT station, 30 baht. At Mor Chit take the BTS or Underground MRT train to Silom, Lumpini(Sala Daeng). This trip cost approx. 40 baht taking less than 30 minutes. From Sala Daeng, Lumpini, take a taxi to nearby Malaysia hotel.

scottish-guy
April 16th, 2014, 15:02
Arriving at DM after a long flight, to then subject oneself to struggling on and off buses, up and down stairs with all one's matched luggage and hat boxes, is bordering on masochism for the sake of saving on a $15 taxi fare.

At this rate I'm sure someone will eventually suggest that the OP walks to the Malaysia Hotel. My money is on Christianpfc

:))

Surfcrest
April 16th, 2014, 15:23
At this rate I'm sure someone will eventually suggest that the OP walks to the Malaysia Hotel. My money is on Christianpfc
:))
I won't go that far, but from Lumpini MRT he might as well walk it in from there.
Lumpini Station is past Ngan Duplee as you get off the freeway or if you are getting off the MRT at Lumpini from Don Muang via Mo Chit / Chatuchak Park.
Traffic runs the opposite direction on Rama IV and so you'd have to walk back to Ngan Duplee, against traffic and hope for an empty cab in to the Malaysia (not far)...or catch an available cab in the far left lane of Rama IV and come around and in the back way, by Babylon and the Consulates.

A cab from Don Muang is your best bet.

Surfcrest

christianpfc
April 16th, 2014, 17:52
are there airport buses from don muang to the silom area?

There are three regular buses:

29 goes along Phaya Thai road and Rama IV near Sam Yan MRT (Walking distance to Surawong and Silom) and then to Hua Lampong,
(but some of buses of line 29 only go to Victory Monument, destination is written on the bus in the front window)
187 goes along Phaya Thai road and Surawong
504 goes to Silom

(I used all of the above lines several times for similar trips.)

Depending on traffic, it might save an hour or more if you change to BTS or MRT at Chatuchak/Mor Chit.

Smiles
April 16th, 2014, 22:29
Honestly, I cannot believe this over-complicated (Christian take a valium and go lie down) navel-gazing over what should be a no brainer: i.e. an easy taxi ride from Don Muang to the Malaysia Hotel.
The taxi fare is nowhere near $15 (as mentioned above) ... 6 or 7 bucks will get you there.
Good lord ...

joe552
April 17th, 2014, 00:20
While I agree with Smiles, the OP asked about taxi fare - it was another poster who asked about the bus service.

scottish-guy
April 17th, 2014, 01:00
Hmmmmm - pretty sure I paid about 400B (inc tip) last time I went from DM to Silom (several years ago as I have skipped BKK and (obviously) DM the last 4 or 5 trips) - so I reckoned what with inflation and exchange rates that would be about ┬г10 = about $15.

Obviously I'm the last of the big spenders and should seek tuition from Smiles & Christianpfc.

I shall self-flagellate later.

O:-)

newalaan2
April 17th, 2014, 05:22
a no brainer: i.e. an easy taxi ride from Don Muang to the Malaysia Hotel.
The taxi fare is nowhere near $15 (as mentioned above) ... 6 or 7 bucks will get you there
pretty sure I paid about 400B (inc tip) last time (several years ago)
Early Feb this year, metered fare from Silom (Ballys) to DM was Bt270. (┬г5.00 at the Feb 2014 exchange rate). Bf and I used DM as easy meet up place for friend coming from Navanakorn, Bkk to pick us up. Took us about 40 mins.

paperboy
April 17th, 2014, 06:20
OMG

thank you eevrone
i will get a taxi and give myself 1 hour
thank you

Patanawet
April 17th, 2014, 12:34
OMG
i will get a taxi and give myself 1 hour
thank you
Yes, Paperboy that sounds about right or maybe a little bit optimistic.
Don't forget to tell the taxi driver to take the TOLLWAY as Jellybean suggests.
And if you are coming at a busy time of day be prepared for the traffic jam coming off the tollway onto Rama 4 road (can be frustrating, sitting in the car and not moving -- but worth the wait).
Have a nice stay here.

christianpfc
April 17th, 2014, 19:45
Honestly, I cannot believe this over-complicated (Christian take a valium and go lie down) navel-gazing over what should be a no brainer: i.e. an easy taxi ride from Don Muang to the Malaysia Hotel.
The taxi fare is nowhere near $15 (as mentioned above) ... 6 or 7 bucks will get you there.
Good lord ...

Don't blame me, orson asked for buses.

I went by taxi a few times, fares were as low as 160 Baht (at night, 30 minutes, roads free). With luggage, I would take a taxi. Without luggage and not pressed for time, bus (with or without change to MRT/BTS) is an option.

scottish-guy
April 17th, 2014, 21:34
I would have expected Orson to ask about a Cart.

Think about it.

:ymparty:

netrix
April 19th, 2014, 16:34
Good lord ...

exactly. where's the like button?

orson
April 21st, 2014, 16:53
thank you very much for the answer regarding my bus question. i was planning to do a backpacker side trip to phuket or up north and it seems that most domestic flights uses don muang as base

lego
April 21st, 2014, 22:01
That depends on the airline, budget airlines use Don Mueang Airport (for both domestic and international flights) while regular airlines use Suvarnabhumi Airport (also for both domestic and intl).

Backpackers fly domestically? I was under the impression they're the ones using buses and trains.

orson
April 25th, 2014, 17:25
That depends on the airline, budget airlines use Don Mueang Airport (for both domestic and international flights) while regular airlines use Suvarnabhumi Airport (also for both domestic and intl).

Backpackers fly domestically? I was under the impression they're the ones using buses and trains.
budget airlines with backpacks is as cheap as i am willing to go. i tried khao san once, and sweared never to do it again. imagine my horror when i woke up with roaches on my bed. =))