View Full Version : How to make friends with Thai boys...

camperboy
April 5th, 2014, 21:22
Hey guys! It has been a while since I posted anything here. But I do lurk.. Hehehe.

Anyway, I am going again for my bi/tri annual pilgrimage next month to Bangkok. I will be going alone this time. L-)

I am just wondering, how do you guys make friends with Thai guys? Planetromeo? The last time I made a friend there and planned to meet was a disaster. Ding donging and he did not turn up at all. Did not even reply to any texts. Whats up with that...

I tried going to Telephone bar alone once. And I felt.. lonely. LOL. I am okay with being alone but to see people around you with friends kinda make you want to have one as well. I guess, the ego part does not want to be bruised, hence I avoided the clubs. Because who goes to club alone. LOSEERRRRR. Just kidding. lol

So yeah, is PR the only place to make friends? I would love to make friends with anyone and then go to the clubs and pubs together. How do you guys do it? :-?

Oh oh, how are the bars doing? Tawan? Hahah hope they injected a few new guys there.

bruce_nyc
April 5th, 2014, 22:15
I pay them. Then some percentage of those guys will be really nice and you'll both want to hang out together. But that's the easy way. Basically off them for a "long time" if you both seem to enjoy each other's company...

Don't expect to fall in love on the first day. If it happens, great! But don't expect it.

francois
April 5th, 2014, 23:43
All of my "friends" were made via contact in massage houses and go-go clubs. If you have farang friends why not ask them and their boyfriends for some suggestions? Perhaps your standards are too high? Some guys only want a trophy boyfriend while others have some quirky requirements which limits their search. You may have better success with an older, more mature guy.

In a sense it comes down to, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
;)

lego
April 6th, 2014, 01:17
I think PlanetRomeo is still working very well. Sure you'll encounter some unreliable/uninterested guys who ultimately won't bother to show up, but if you chat with many and get their phone numbers, chances are you'll get lucky with some of them. I've also noticed that you tend to get better in properly predicting if a certain guy will show up and if things will go well, so if you don't give up after some disappointments, you'll probably be rewarded. I'd also recommend to try some smartphone apps like Grindr and Jack'd, they're pretty good for instant hookups. I'm not really into meeting strangers in clubs, so I cannot recommend any for that purpose, but when I hang out with friends it sometimes happens that I get introduced to someone interesting.

christianpfc
April 6th, 2014, 16:16
I am just wondering, how do you guys make friends with Thai guys?

Can you be a bit more specific? I assume you mean gay Thai boys, with possibility of sex?

I didn't have much success with gayromeo and grindr, finding a place and time that suits both is difficult (might be easier if you stay in your hotel room, but I am out and around Bangkok and Thailand most of my time, and the boys I want to meet have normal jobs/study).

If you just want Thai friends (regardless of age and sexual orientation), just walk in non-touristy areas in the evening, if you walk past a group of Thais sitting, eating, drinking, one of the them will probably invite you. Speaking Thai is advantageous in such settings.

In Soi 4, you won't have much luck, in DJ station situation is much better. Go to Thai discos and hang around at closing time; I get a lot of attention (not in the disco, but afterwards outside) when I go alone (or my Thai friend(s) leave earlier than I).

Try saunas.

The easiest way is gogo and massage bars. I have a few friends (? - you never know, it could be just the money) from gogo and massage, and you don't have to worry about working times, you just take them off (whereas with normal working Thais, you somehow have to arrange with their working times, which can be 6 days per week, 10 hours per day).

Smiles
April 7th, 2014, 09:34
This suggestion would be for host bars only: sit yourself down in any of the numerous host bars in Pattaya or Jomtien which has a pool table.

Ask the the nearest Thai guy who turns your crank if he'd "like a game" and carry on from there.
Thai guys love games of all kinds, and a goodly number of host bars have pool tables. Playing the game - which has a universal language and rules - takes away the awkward feeling of sitting with a Thai guy who has limited knowledge of your language ... and probably you have of his. If you are a good pool player (and win) he will be wildly impressed, and if he beats you he will make amends somehow, perhaps in other ways.

gregvc
April 7th, 2014, 14:11
you know, this may be a surprise but there are Thai guys not involved in sex business!!. What would you say if a friend came to USA and wanted to meet locals? "oh, lets go our out and meet prostitutes and maybe one of them an be my friend!"

thaiguest
April 7th, 2014, 16:05
you know, this may be a surprise but there are Thai guys not involved in sex business!!. What would you say if a friend came to USA and wanted to meet locals? "oh, lets go our out and meet prostitutes and maybe one of them an be my friend!"

But Thailand is thankfully NOT America, nor Switzerland, nor Iran and has only minimal christian/jewish/islamic contamination.
"Prostitute" has a specific meaning to you but may not translate directly to suit the Thai boys who hang out with us and get a financial reward.
I have 2 great Thai friends, both now good husbands and fathers and I met both in Pattaya Go-Go bars 7 /8 years ago.

If your mother got a role in a movie she didn't really deserve, then married the movie director 40 yrs her senior, moved into his mansion and then had you and soon after got a divorce with a multi-million settlement and now has taken a toyboy for a husband would that make you the child of a prostitute or the child of a smart lady or both?

corky
April 7th, 2014, 16:27
Camperboy. You donтАЩt give any reason for your lack of success in making friends with Thai men and you ask us to help. Honestly, I cannot think of a time when I have not been engaged in conversation by a Thai in any of the Silom Soi 4 bars or in DJ Station or in several other places.

The reason is in your profile: you are from Singapore. You donтАЩt state whether you are a Singaporean national or an expat but your association with that place does account for your complete lack of social skills. When you come here please remember that the world does not revolve around Singapore; there are other topics of conversation apart from тАШyourselfтАЩ and тАШ how things are done differently (and better) in SingaporeтАЩ. Please try not to be smug and self satisfied all the time; try to be less critical and more interested in what others have done.

Also, try the old тАШsmile and offer to buy someone a drinkтАЩ routine. Give the barman or waiter a 20 Baht tip тАУ not just the 2 coins left in the change folder. If you try really hard to act like a normal human being rather than a self-aggrandizing Singaporean who looks down on everyone, people will warm to you.

gregvc
April 7th, 2014, 17:52
certainly agree about Singapore. But I don't know why most western guys do not branch out to meeting the other 95% of thai guys. My BF is now 50 yrs old and a businessman . His friends are all in good jobs, all speak English and in fact my bf has at times supported me through bad times. Generally , meeting sex scene guys is going to be limiting in the experience of Thailand.

April 8th, 2014, 14:22
If I want to have sex with a pensioner I can wank myself off while looking in the mirror.

gregvc
April 8th, 2014, 14:32
I imagine you must pay for any kind of human interaction. The boys must bite their lips when they see you coming.

April 8th, 2014, 15:28
I imagine you must pay for any kind of human interaction. The boys must bite their lips when they see you coming.I was talking about myself looking in the mirror but if you want to extend that notion to yourself please be my guest.

loke
April 12th, 2014, 22:13
If you had given us your age it would be a lot easier .
If you're over 45 and farang expect to pay for most contacts with younger Thai guys , even if its just a dinner or to keep your company.

But I have experienced the opposite once, a Thai hi'so man in his 50's paid for everything when we went out. No sex involved.

netrix
April 19th, 2014, 18:10
I've lived here over 2 years now after visiting for about 7 years. I've always had an easy time making friends - both working boys and guys who wouldn't be caught dead in a gogo bar.
I went to dinner and then drinks at a bar near the beach with a 23 year old gorgeous Thai boy last week. He paid for everything, even the baht bus and refused money when I tried to
insist later. That kind of thing happens a lot when you go out with a guy who really considers you a friend. I'm friends with quite a few barboys too, and they call me up when they
want to go to the movies or the beach or something during the day when they're bored. They never ask for a tip, even if sex is involved if it's their idea. I guess my point is, it's as
easy to make friends here as anywhere if you're friendly, and certainly not all Thai guys are interested in sex for money - or just money.

fedssocr
April 20th, 2014, 09:06
I would imagine that being able to speak Thai would be a big help. Not being able to communicate would make friendship difficult.

lego
April 20th, 2014, 18:12
I would imagine that being able to speak Thai would be a big help. Not being able to communicate would make friendship difficult.
I thought so, too. But all things considered, at least from my experience this really isn't the case. In a nutshell, I think that most of those youngish Thais who don't know at least some basic English have a good and valid reason for that - a complete and utter lack of interest in anything and everything foreign! These Thais exist and it can even be argued that there are many of them. On the other hand, nowadays those growing up in Thailand who really want to learn some English can easily do so, even in the remotest village. Sure, the schools and teachers there are often crap, but many Thais I've met have taught themselves with music videos, Hollywood movies and the likes. That's enough to get it started. Then of course there are gay web sites and apps where those who want to get in touch with foreigners can chat with them... plenty of options really, for those who see the need to learn English.

To be clear, when I moved to Thailand, I studied Thai and I'm glad that I did. I also actually use it and I do speak Thai with some of my Thai friends, at least when I'm the only one who isn't Thai in a group. That said, however, for the reason I've mentioned I don't make an effort to chat up guys in Thai who clearly seem to be most interested in meeting other Thais.

Which brings me straight back to the title of this thread: Make friends with Thai boys who actually show an interest in making friends with you. Then the "how" part is so much easier. I've never had a problem making friends with Thais, even when I was just a visitor and didn't speak any Thai. Now being able to speak Thai comes in handy, but I don't think it has opened treasure troves full of Thais I couldn't get my hands on before and who are actually of interest to me (and vice versa).

Shuee
April 21st, 2014, 03:15
Hey guys! It has been a while since I posted anything here. But I do lurk.. Hehehe.

Anyway, I am going again for my bi/tri annual pilgrimage next month to Bangkok. I will be going alone this time. L-)

I am just wondering, how do you guys make friends with Thai guys? Planetromeo? The last time I made a friend there and planned to meet was a disaster. Ding donging and he did not turn up at all. Did not even reply to any texts. Whats up with that....

be advised if invited to sit with thais drinking or eating you could possible be seen inviting an atm to sit with them a contribute to the bill, a crude example but just be aware of this & it will stand you on better ground when finding real friends