PDA

View Full Version : Learning Thai in Phuket a rip off for farang

lonelywombat
April 2nd, 2014, 06:51
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/blogs/t ... 35v46.html (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/blogs/the-backpacker/things-that-can-only-happen-in-asia-20140401-35v46.html)
Ben Groundwater is Fairfax's globetrotter on a shoe-string.

It's nice, apparently, living in Phuket. My friends Simon and Belle have been there a few years now, working on their internet-based business while enjoying the affordability and never-a-dull-moment interest of living in south-east Asia.
They've got a comfortable little house. They've also got great food, given they eat out at the street markets pretty much every night. There's a guy there they call "Chicken Broth Man" who's basically being kept in business by the nightly patronage of Simon and Belle.
The easiest way for people like my friends to stay so long in Thailand without going through the hassle of a work permit is to get an education visa, which stipulates the holders should be in Thailand to learn - and for most people this involves study of the Thai language.

And that's what Simon and Belle are supposed to be doing. They're enrolled in a local Thai school. Only trouble is, between their business and their nightly visits to Chicken Broth Man, there isn't much time to go to classes.
In fact, their school attendance last year was the grand total of no classes. None. Nada. Their grasp of Thai still doesn't extend much past "sawadee kap".
So you can imagine their consternation when a letter arrived at the end of last year from their Thai school. If their non-attendance was brought to the attention of the government, they thought, it could be the end of their education visa, and the end of their lives in Thailand.

The pair sat down and gingerly opened the envelope, dreading bad news. Instead, they found this: "Thank you for joining our language school. We notice you have not been able to attend many classes - however, you have been awarded a score of 83 per cent. We look forward to seeing you next year."
Eighty-three per cent! Simon and Belle hadn't just passed, they'd excelled. And this despite still lacking even the rudimentary skills to ask Chicken Broth Man his actual name. Pretty impressive, really.

Of course, this is one of those "only in Asia" moments, the type that make you shake your head at the sheer lunacy and greatness of life in Asia. Things happen there that couldn't happen anywhere else. Things that you might think should be illegal, or at least questionable, or that maybe just sound a bit silly. They happen.
In any Western country Simon and Belle's lack of education during their educational sojourn would be called into question. But in Thailand, the language school will keep its money, my friends will keep their visa, and everyone will be happy.

Only in Asia, right?
This is a continent that so many travellers love for its sense of opportunity and freedom - a sense that can occasionally descend into pure chaos.
For the casual observer or the touristy sampler, this is exactly what you want to find in another country. You want it to be different. You want to have a sense that anything could happen. You want to be amazed by the things people can carry on a clapped-out scooter, or by the way the bureaucratic wheels can spin when you take away the chocks of regulation.

There is more about getting a visa into Cambodia in the same article.

lonelywombat
April 4th, 2014, 07:43
Surfcrest you ask questions in a poll about why people are not posting to sawatdee. This post is about Thailand. The people mentioned may not have been gay but others are in similar situations.
This stupid reallocating posts on the whim of it, is dragging the forum down.

In the main you personally are the biggest problem

lonelywombat
April 4th, 2014, 13:13
As I look at the main page I see

repair for laptop in bangkok
camera equipment
international carriers
blood check
LOS health insurance and more

Surfcrest why don't you leave the controls alone and stop fiddling. You do not need all the 8 forums, you could cut them back to at least half.

Surfcrest
April 28th, 2014, 02:25
You would be hard pressed to find any examples of moderation with the Board, with the exception of some of your posts as of late. I've had to move two of your threads to the Shop because of inaccuracies with some of the information you posted;

Google selecting gay outlets for gay pattaya publicity

and now;

Colonial Bar has been sold. New owners from I May

Cut and paste articles (like this Learning Thai in Phuket a rip off for farang) are okay, provided they are posted to the correct Forum. This thread, while it may have something to do with Thailand, has nothing to do with Gay Thailand. I appreciate you have concerns about the subject of posts at the time you responded back to your thread here, but as you can see they have changed since April 3rd as they will continue to do. I am the owner / administrator of the Board, I look after making sure we are online 24/7 and keeping the software / platform up to date and running smoothly. Apart from keeping posts within our Posting Rules and Guidelines and ensuring what is being reported on is accurate, my role is not to control what people post.

I will moderate the "Google selecting gay outlets for gay pattaya publicity" thread and put it back into the Board Business Forum.

Surfcrest