View Full Version : repair for laptop in Bangkok

gregvc
April 1st, 2014, 00:10
Desperate- does anyone know of a good repair place for a Dell laptop? Seems the ac cord shows that the electricity is there but it is not recharging.

bobsaigon2
April 1st, 2014, 07:30
If you Google "Dell laptop repair in Bangkok" you may find an address that is near you.

The last time I was in BKK with my Dell, every time I turned it on it said that it could not detect an external power source. However, the little icon at the bottom of the screen always showed that it was fully charged. (!)

The Dell also picked up the habit of unexpectedly shutting down several times a day. Maybe something in the Thai electrical supply format creates these anomalies.

gregvc
April 1st, 2014, 10:36
Hmmm very strange. I have that message about the ac too. Maybe it wont run out.

lego
April 1st, 2014, 14:55
Maybe something in the Thai electrical supply format creates these anomalies.
Thanks a lot for your concern, but we do actually have a pretty reliable electricity supply here in Bangkok, this isn't Phnom Penh. I've been using various laptops, notebooks and whatnot here and I've never had any problems I could blame on the power grid.

bobsaigon2
April 1st, 2014, 16:29
I wasn't blaming any problems on the Thai power grid. Note that I said it was perhaps something in the electrical supply format, rather than reliability of the power source. Can't remember the last time I experienced an outage in LOS.

I was also suggesting that perhaps there is something in the electrical system of the Dell laptops that misreads their electrical "well being" when used in Thailand. I never got that mysterious/erroneous Dell message when I used the laptop in Vietnam, Cambodia or California.

lego
April 1st, 2014, 21:32
Fair enough. One of my previous notebooks was a Dell and I never experienced any such problem, but maybe it's like you wrote with certain models.

gregvc
April 1st, 2014, 21:44
Well, strangely, it now recharges if I have the top closed and the macine off but connected. It still shows not recharging. Thais have said to me that thai electricity is weak. I am still getting the "ac not compatible" notice. I don't remember this problem on previou visits.

gregvc
April 4th, 2014, 13:04
just realised that I have been talking about recharging and that means the battery. So my problem is not so bad as the ac works and I should be able to get a new battery when I get back to Melb. Don't think that buying a battery here is a good idea. Don't use the battery anyway.