PDA

View Full Version : American tourist arrested

June 13th, 2006, 17:20
Kansas, do you say?

American tourist arrested for allegedly buying sex from 16-year-old Thai boy

Pattaya - An American tourist was arrested late Monday night while allegedly buying sex from a 16-year-old Thai boy inside a gay bar in this seaside resort town.

Pol Lt Col Wutthichart Luansukhon, a tourist police officer of Pattaya, said the American was identified as Ronald D Sims, 44, from Kansas.

Wutthichart led a team of tourist police to raid the Diamond Blue Sky bar on South Pattaya Road in Chon Buri's Bang Lamug district at about half an hour after midnight.

He said police caught Sims allegedly in the act with the boy on a small room on the second floor of the bar.

Police also arrested the bar manager, Jare Rathum, 27 and charged him with soliciting underage boys for prostitution. Police also rounded up 22 boys under 18 years old from the bar.

The Nation

lonelywombat
June 13th, 2006, 18:50
Kansas, do you say?

American tourist arrested for allegedly buying sex from 16-year-old Thai boy

Pattaya - An American tourist was arrested late Monday night while allegedly buying sex from a 16-year-old Thai boy inside a gay bar in this seaside resort town.

Pol Lt Col Wutthichart Luansukhon, a tourist police officer of Pattaya, said the American was identified as Ronald D Sims, 44, from Kansas.

Wutthichart led a team of tourist police to raid the Diamond Blue Sky bar on South Pattaya Road in Chon Buri's Bang Lamug district at about half an hour after midnight.

He said police caught Sims allegedly in the act with the boy on a small room on the second floor of the bar.

Police also arrested the bar manager, Jare Rathum, 27 and charged him with soliciting underage boys for prostitution. Police also rounded up 22 boys under 18 years old from the bar.

The Nation

This was a big weekend in Melbourne, a holiday weekend with many visitors.

The statement was made in a gay hotel sunday night that on his last visit to Pattaya he saw boys as young as 12 run out of a bar, get on to a motor bike with a farang and ride away. Take away pedo sex.

I got hot under the collar as he was blaming all who go to Pattaya with the same brush. Not gay but pedo.;

All he would say was he sat outside the poolbar ( obviously Montys) for some serious drinking. His comment was pedos apparently ring up like take away pizza. He watched as several motorbikes pulled up and a boy climbed on. They hardly stopped. The boys were waiting. It happened several times whilst he was drinking.

He insisted the boys were under 14.

Anyone have a comment?????

June 13th, 2006, 19:46
`why comment. what is is

June 13th, 2006, 23:27
Why, oh WHY, don't they SHUT DOWN the Diamond Blue Sky bar and all the other bars, mostly in Sunnee Plaza, that employ UNDERAGE Thais?????

June 13th, 2006, 23:31
Is the Diamond Blue bar the old Amigo bar?

Jetsam
June 14th, 2006, 00:24
Is the Diamond Blue bar the old Amigo bar?

Nope that is now the Diamond pub , and before they changed the name to Amigo it was the infamous Leo's Palace.

catawampuscat
June 14th, 2006, 00:57
STUPID is using a short time room with an underage kid.. Besides the possible cameras used for blackmail, the chance of a police
raid is ever present and the worst possible place to be is in a seedy flea infested room with an underage kid..
It is also stupid to off these kids but at least one has a chance but using the room is just stupid..
Normally, I would feel bad for someone who has such rotten luck but sometimes you just shake your head and shrug your shoulders..
Unless this Yank can buy his way out of this , he is fucked and will spend years in a Thai prison where child rapists are not favorites, or in
an American prison if he is lucky enough to just get deported for life...

June 14th, 2006, 01:01
Another sad part is how often the bars and the boys LIE about their age, so it is common for a farang to be involved with an underage and have no intention of doing so.

June 14th, 2006, 01:33
Why am I not surprised that there's more sympathy here for the child rapist than for the child? We all know what 16 year-old Thai boys look like -- and there's a BIG difference between them and what 18 year-old+ Thai boys look like. Shame on you.

June 14th, 2006, 01:37
I feel for him if he genuinely didnt know ( too much booze?)................. but he should have at least checked an I.D card if in the least doubtful of the boys age.

The bar owner should get a hefty penalty!

June 14th, 2006, 01:37
Why am I not surprised that there's more sympathy here for the child rapist than for the child? We all know what 16 year-old Thai boys look like -- and there's a BIG difference between them and what 18 year-old+ Thai boys look like. Shame on you.
That is total BS! I have met Thais who can prove to me they are 25 who look 16. Not at all uncommon. If you really think you can easily tell between a 16 year old and an 18 year old, you are very deluded. I dare say most of the people on this board would agree with me on at least this one point.
And yes, I do have sympathy for a person who is trying to be lawful and is LIED to by bar managers and workers, putting the farang in mortal danger and ruining his life, where the consequences to the bar managers and owners are basically nada! I don't understand how you couldn't have sympathy for someone suckered like that.

The boys OFTEN carry fake IDs and borrow friend's IDs. Pictures are so bad on ID cards, it is easy to be fooled. Not to mention all the non Thais working in the trade, they don't even have Thai ids.

I would wager many of the people on this board have been fooled this way, and if you are not in jail, you are just lucky. If it is not your intention to really break the law, yes, you have my sympathy for sure.

And, yes, I would love to see a REAL CRACKDOWN on any bar who employs even ONE underage sex worker. And jail time for the owners and managers. Of course, this will never happen.

June 14th, 2006, 05:24
Can the figure given below be even partially right? Glad the place was closed.

American man arrested in Sunee Plaza Bar Raid.

On Monday night, a group of Undercover Pattaya Tourist Police Officers conducted a raid of the Diamond Pub in Soi Sunee Plaza, South Pattaya after receiving information that the venue was being used to sell sex to foreigners. It was thought that underage foreign boys and Thai boys were available for sex at the venue. On the first floor of the venue, rooms were being used to accommodate these illegal activities. The raid took place and on the first floor of the venue, a partially clothed American National, Mr. Ronald Sims aged 43 was found in one of the rooms with a boy aged 16. Evidence including a used condom on the floor suggested that the pair had already engaged in sexual activities. Mr. Sims was arrested along with the Manager of the venue; Khun Jalae aged 27 and members of staff in the venue which included 17 males under the age of 15 which included foreign nationals who had entered the country illegally. Everyone concerned was taken back to the Tourist Police Station and Mr. Sims was charged with engaging in sexual activities with a person under the age of 18 for money. The venue has now been shut down pending a decision on its future by the governor of Chonburi who may decide to revoke all licenses for the establishment.

www.pattayacitynews.net/news_13_06_49_2.htm (http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_13_06_49_2.htm)

June 14th, 2006, 05:30
What's not to believe? Of course the Thai manager will be slapped on the wrist.

Dboy
June 14th, 2006, 06:53
Guesthouse looked at his ID (I won't say where I was staying...popular place), and told me the guy was 17 but "no problem if you want". I said "yes problem" and sent the guy home. He looked 22-23. And that is only one incident. I've had several experiences like this, probably due to the fact that I like smaller/younger guys rather than the muscle boys. Usually I don't even go back to retrieve my barfine; I just don't go back to that bar at all. I don't need the risk.

I don't know the details of this case but I know for a fact that it can easily happen, and I do feel sorry for the customer and the boys involved. Sounds like the guy was very unlucky to get busted in a short-time room. Seems to me its a safer experience at the bar rather than taking a guy to your hotel. Being that TIT, I wonder if there's a story behind this story. Why that particular bar?

Dboy

June 14th, 2006, 07:00
I read about a sting once on another board where the cops were in cahoots & controlling the boys......... the boys got a customer then they moved in....you could buy your way out of it. true anyone think?

June 14th, 2006, 08:25
American tourist arrestedThere should be more of it

June 14th, 2006, 08:26
American tourist arrestedThere should be more of it
Americans specifically?

June 14th, 2006, 08:36
That is total BS! I have met Thais who can prove to me they are 25 who look 16. Not at all uncommon. If you really think you can easily tell between a 16 year old and an 18 year old, you are very deluded. I dare say most of the people on this board would agree with me on at least this one point.
And yes, I do have sympathy for a person who is trying to be lawful and is LIED to by bar managers and workers, putting the farang in mortal danger and ruining his life, where the consequences to the bar managers and owners are basically nada! I don't understand how you couldn't have sympathy for someone suckered like that.

While I agree completely that there are 15 year old who can pass for 22 and vice versa, I have little sympathy for Dorothy for two reasons. First, the bar he chose to off someone from. Its notorious for underage workers. I hate to give him credit, but, anyone remember LMTU saying "if you dare to go into that bar'? Second, after offing from this bar he chose a short time room at the bar rather than his hotel or condo. This leads me to believe that he knew the boy was underage. He used the bar's short time room because he knew the boy was underage. Play with fire and you get burned.

June 14th, 2006, 08:38
I was talking generally.
I agree this guy sounds guilty for all the reasons you gave. However, I have no doubt there are people sitting in the monkey house who were fooled into doing something they had no intention of doing.

June 14th, 2006, 08:41
Play with fire and you get burned.Play with fire and you run the risk of getting burned. That's why it continues. People never think it's going to happen to them - and usually it doesn't

June 14th, 2006, 14:53
DELETED

June 14th, 2006, 15:04
I don't know the details of this case but I know for a fact that it can easily happen, and I do feel sorry for the customer and the boys involved. Sounds like the guy was very unlucky to get busted in a short-time room. Seems to me its a safer experience at the bar rather than taking a guy to your hotel. Being that TIT, I wonder if there's a story behind this story. Why that particular bar?
Dboy

It strikes me that there's a reluctance to believe that the accused Ronald Sims was knowlingly engaging someone under 18. Why the reluctance, I don't quite understand.

I once overheard a situation where the mamasan strongly advised a client to use the in-house short-time room which at first I thought was merely for the bar to make a bit more money, but when I saw the boy - who looked underaged to me (and I can tell the difference between a 15 year-old and a 20 year -old) - I immediately knew why.

That Ronald Sims was using an in-house short-time room is to me a sign that he knew he was engaging in sex with someone underaged, someone who might not pass hotel security.

June 14th, 2006, 15:10
That he was spending time in a notorious pedo bar, where they have boys clearly under 13, is enough for me. Any normal person would have walked in, seen what was happening inside, and walked straight back out again.

June 14th, 2006, 19:21
Frankly. many bars will employ boys under 18, even the ones that all us think are very respected. I've seen it time and time again here in the Paradise Complex. I've had bar owners themselves tell me a boy was 17 (one told me that about a boy I wanted to off). I've know five or six boys that have worked here for at least three years that have told me they were going to be celebrating their 18th or 19th birthdays soon (you do the math).

This is endemic in LOS in gay bars. With the large, well respected bars, obviously they are not going to send off an underage worker and try to catch a customer in any sort of sting. These bars (in Patong Beach--every one of them) also pay large amounts of money to the police so that they won't come under too much scrutiny for a number of violations. So, we will never hear of them being busted in one of these sort of stings unless for some reason they fall into serious arrears with their bribes or piss off the wrong person.

It seems to me there are several things one can do to protect one's self:

1. Never ever use a short time room unless you are very, very sure of a boy's age.
2. Try to take off boys from a well reputed bar (the bigger and the richer the owner, the better). At least then, even if the boy is 16 or 17, your chances of being part of a sting are almost zill. Don't go into bars that have a reputation for employing those under 18. It is a major reason I will not go into Mamasan bar here in Patong (formerly Uncle Charlie Boys). It is also another reason I off almost all my boys from one of the bars owned by Bon, Tangmo, or reccomended by one of my long time friends.
3. Look at a boys ID, study the photograph very well, and use a hotel that collects IDs from guests. My hotel does, but it still doesn't mean much as I could probably come in with a goat, two chickens, and six ten-year olds, tell the night clerk that they had all forgotten their IDs, and all he would do is smile and tell me "have a nice evening."
4. Never, ever take off a free lancer that can't produce an ID or even if he can, if he looks at all under 18 (but gosh, it is often hard to tell).
5. Develop a taste for obviously older guys. If you like guys who look younger and have smaller bodies, then your chances of breaking the law are much greater. It is hard to tell if someone is 16 or 18, but much easier to know if someone is 18 or 23. You can often also just assume if a boy tells you he is 18, then he is probably younger (not always, but often enough). Few Thai boys will ever add any more than they have to to their age, so if they say they are 19 or higher, odds are they are telling you true.
6. Find (buy) some Thai friends and take one or two along when you go drinking/offing boys. Their mere presence will often keep the more unscrupulous from taking advantage of you, and they can navigate a number of tricky situations for you.

Probably many on this board have inadvertently had sex with an 16 or 17 year old while in LOS. No matter what precautions you take, they are too many of them working in just about every gay establishment here. I find myself following rule #5 more and more, and #6 has become an absolute rule for me when I am out drinking in new environments. The obviously younger boys are very nice, but no matter how safe I might feel, I have zero desire to take any risks with this particular law governing sex with minors.

Pete

GWMinUS
June 14th, 2006, 20:24
Three years ago I was in Phuket.
Offed a handsome young man from Tangmo.
Back at the hotel the security man looked at his ID and took me aside.
Told me he was underage, only 17, and said it was up to me if I took him upstairs.
I sent the Guy away, without a tip, after having the security man explain to him in Thai why I was not continuing the evening.
The next evening I stopped by Tangmo and told the Mamasan about my experience.
His response was NOTHING.
I told the Mamasan I was very concerned and would caution my friends about his bar.
Now that was three years ago, so I cannot say the current policy.
But Farang beware!!!
:pale:

June 14th, 2006, 20:25
about the vast majority of this activity which is extremely common amongst the local population, always has been and excludes foreigners except when it is used for profit.

Cheer for the man who has been caught of it makes you feel morally superior but don't kid yorself that it's anything to do with enforcing the law. It's called PR and there could be may reasons it may have happened..to give the appearance that something is being done..or it may be simply to give other bar owners a financial advantage.

Those screeching the loudest should read the full story again..apart from being caught in a flea infested room which means f**k all unless you have a gutter press metality and you believe it makes the story somehow more sordid..the lad's age was 16. If it had been New Mexico in the US, London, Italy , Rome or countless other countries no crime would have been committed.

It's about time Farang visitors got over their Western superiority mentality that leads them to believe that Thais somehow mould their activities because of them.

GWMinUS
June 14th, 2006, 20:34
HAHAHA
You are correct.
Recently a man flew out from Atlanta to "see" a young man (16) here in Santa Fe.
They had met on the internet...
The young man's father learned of the scheduled meeting at a local hotel and sent in the police!!!
They arrested the older man.
But then the young man said it was all consentual. He had invited the man to come "visit".
So the police admitted they had no cause for action and dropped the investigation.
But then that is New Mexico...

June 14th, 2006, 21:28
A lot of good points here.
Bottom line: keep away from the Thai chicken!
Of course, taking off at one of the more notorious dens is a strong sign of real guilt, though there is nothing illegal about having a drink at such a place for your sociology thesis.
Of course, there is hypocrisy in Thai enforcement.
Of course, stories about sex tourists being busted makes great press.
I agree if you are into the cute small guy look, you are probably lucky if isn't your face on the tabloids. It is easy to be fooled. Of course, and this should be emphasized, there are indeed underage sex workers in more "respectable" bars, most definitely near so called Boyztown.

Doug
June 15th, 2006, 01:37
Given that: this Diamond bar obviously can't advertise; nor would they be welcome hosting a PGF fund raiser to boost their visability; the owner is reputed to be one in authority; and operating a gogo bar requires many customers to be profitable.

Would it be stretching the imagination too much to suggest that a high profile arrest reported locally and abroad could be a planned advertising strategy to increase the bar's profile to those with an interest in underage sex? I mean we now have the name of the bar and it's location and it's activities well publicised.

I would think a better deterrent would be to follow the trial of the accused and showcase the life of those convicted. I know there have been a few such reports but too often any reporting ends with the high profile arrest.

colmx
June 15th, 2006, 03:24
I've been reading these messageboards for the lst 6-7 years or so...

It seems to me that this bar is raided quite at least every 1.5 years and some unsuspecting farang is caught in the short time rooms...

A few weeks later the bar re-opens under a new name (amigo, Leo, Diamond etc) and its business as usual... The press has its field day. The police have their photo-op. The Bar owner has another year to peddle his trade...

And its only the farang who suffers... locked up in Banglamung Prison for a few years...

(I''m not excusing his actions -- Just saying he was unlucky to be caught up in this PR stunt)

June 15th, 2006, 05:40
Given that: this Diamond bar obviously can't advertise; nor would they be welcome hosting a PGF fund raiser to boost their visability; the owner is reputed to be one in authority; and operating a gogo bar requires many customers to be profitable.

Would it be stretching the imagination too much to suggest that a high profile arrest reported locally and abroad could be a planned advertising strategy to increase the bar's profile to those with an interest in underage sex? I mean we now have the name of the bar and it's location and it's activities well publicised.

I would think a better deterrent would be to follow the trial of the accused and showcase the life of those convicted. I know there have been a few such reports but too often any reporting ends with the high profile arrest.
Well, they do always change their name.

atri1666
June 15th, 2006, 10:01
You really have big problems! I am happy to live in europe.Most countries have legal age of 16 or 15 years for gay-sex. Only when i stay in thailand i also obey the 18years-law of thailand.

June 15th, 2006, 12:09
You really have big problems! I am happy to live in europe.Most countries have legal age of 16 or 15 years for gay-sex. Only when i stay in thailand i also obey the 18years-law of thailand.
Yes, the US is a strange country. The age of consent in many US states is well under 18, but for Americans travelling abroad, the age is the federal age, 18, and Americans can be (and are being) prosecuted under US law for sex crimes in foreign countries, even when they have not broken the laws of that country!
It is kind of the way it is.
American gays are lucky right now they aren't being arrested just for being gay, considering the attitudes of Bush's supporters.

cottmann
June 15th, 2006, 14:06
American gays are lucky right now they aren't being arrested just for being gay, considering the attitudes of Bush's supporters.

Any day now, Thaiquila, any day now!

Dboy
June 16th, 2006, 08:39
Yes, the US is a strange country. The age of consent in many US states is well under 18, but for Americans travelling abroad, the age is the federal age, 18, and Americans can be (and are being) prosecuted under US law for sex crimes in foreign countries, even when they have not broken the laws of that country!
It is kind of the way it is.

It's more than strange. Thankfully in addition to religious fanatics and warmongers, we also have airports.

Dboy

cottmann
June 16th, 2006, 08:46
It is kind of the way it is.....

Apparently, too, in Colorado it is legal for girls 15 years of age and under to enter common-law marriages but not legally-sanctioned ones - http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/15/teen. ... index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/15/teen.marriage.ap.ap/index.html)

The USA really does seem to be getting odder every day.

June 16th, 2006, 09:00
I think the whole world is odd.

andrewcraig
June 17th, 2006, 08:48
I think that those poofs who kiss each other in the street should be arrested.
I had 2 poofs kissing each other on a bus I was on the other day in the City and this was at 7am in the morning,I had to tell em, "Give it up you pair of dirty bastards ya gonna make me spew ya cunts ! These 2 decided to both give me dirty looks and got off the bus after sticking there finger up at me at the exit doors,the bus driver didnt say anything,but i reckon he agreed with what i said.

Why would a woolymoof that lives in the gay capital of Oz Oxford Street, be upset by 2 guys kissing.

Jealousy is such a waste.

Maybe it is beacause they were not midgets you got upset.

June 17th, 2006, 09:26
DELETED

June 23rd, 2006, 15:57
19 underage boys found offering sexual services in Sunee Plaza bar

Boonlua Chatree

Police raiding a boy go-go bar shortly after midnight on June 13 found a number of underage boys along with rooms on the upper level of the premises where they offered sexual services to foreign visitors.

Pol Lt Col Wuttichart Luonsukhan, superintendent of Pattaya tourist police led the team of officers investigating Diamond Go-Go at Soi Sunee Plaza.
The door was open when police arrived and they walked in to a conventional go-go setup with flashing lights and blaring music. However, there were boys aged between 11-17 years and wearing only underpants dancing around poles, while many foreign tourists sat around watching. Police ordered that the music be stopped and the lights turned on before ordering the boys into a corner and telling them to get dressed before checking their ID cards.

There were a total of 19 boys aged between 11 and 17. Further investigations of the four-story building revealed that the upper levels had been divided off into small rooms. Police opened the doors to the rooms on the second floor. In one they found an American national identified as Ronald Sims, 44, who was lying naked while a 17-year-old boy (name withheld) was providing sexual services. Police told them to stop and get dressed before arresting Sims and taking the boy downstairs for questioning.

Jaray Latum, 27, admitted that he managed the premises and hired the boys for 1,500 baht a month. If foreigners requested sexual services they had to pay a 200 baht services fee and the boys agreed their own fees with the foreigners. The license owner, Wittaya Kuanamon, 28, was not on the premises. Police confiscated the operating license and arrested Jaray on charges of acting as a pimp for young boys under 18. He was taken to Pattaya tourist police headquarters for further questioning.
Sims was charged with committing lewd acts with a minor. The 19 boysтАЩ names were recorded and they were taken into custody while waiting for their parents to come and take them home. Two of the boys were 12-year-old Malaysians who were also taken into custody to wait for their parents to come and collect them.

www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml (http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml)

Dodger
June 23rd, 2006, 23:58
Young boys dancing around on a stage wearing only their underpants...I'M OUTRAGED!!!

And right in the middle of Sunee Plaza mind you.

The next thing you know there will be young boys just strolling around in public selling sex.

What's this world coming to.

And a grown man engaging in sexual conduct with a 17 year old boy...I'm speechless.

Boy Special was 18 when we first met, and for the life of me, I couldn't imagine having sex with him before his birthday. He simply would not have been mature enough to handle the emotional impact. But at 18, everything just magically changed. I remember asking him once if he ever masturbated prior to his 18th birthday, and he responded in a very embarrassed manner..."yes, but only once, and I get sick every time I think about it".

June 24th, 2006, 08:12
So your boyfriend is a potato queen, Dodger? Because, as I'm sure you know, he could have been having fun legally with other Thai boys for 3 years before he took up with you. It's just that law classifies him as a prostitute because he goes with Western men, so he had to remain inviolate until the age of 18

June 25th, 2006, 10:39
... of do's and don'ts is surely a lesson for all and could be a permanent fixed resource on this board for newcomers. As mentioned though, even reputable bars have underage boys. I know of one Farang/Thai owned bar (in Phuket) who employed a very young looking youth who I found out was underage but was a very regular off with Farangs. I was a little worried for the Farang bar owner and mentioned this to him. He said he was not aware of any of the boy's ages as he left it to the Thai partner. However, if the shit hit the fan, you may guess who would be in it up to his neck.

I like a variety of Thai guys from the large to the small and varying in age ranges up to about 40. My current beau is small and 21 but is often carded as he looks younger. If you go for the younger, small guys, learn how to check id's or always have a Thai friend check the id for you.