PDA

View Full Version : Are Bar Workers Adding on a Quasimoto Charge?

bucknaway
March 19th, 2014, 07:29
I am looking back on my last trip being that my next trip is only a few weeks away. On my last trip I tended to ask some of the bar guys who flirted with me what their expected tip would be and some of their answers almost made me spit out the 320 Baht beer I was nursing for the past hour! I first thought they believed I had lots of cash and was going to the bathroom often to count my money over and over. In reality, I was getting up and going to the bathroom when the sex performers or breakdancers were about to crawl the crowd looking for tips! (Sorry Christian, going to the bathroom when tips are due, this is mine and you can't use this when you go to the bars... Patent Pending!) Also beware, some of those bathroom have Tip trolls in there. After you do all the work of pulling out your junk to take a pee or flushing the toilet after depositing the 50 baht worth of street food in the bowl. They stand there and hand you a tiny towel and for that tiny bit of work they want a tip! :-o

Another bathroom tip for Christian. If a bathroom has 2 ply tissue paper, take an empty roll with you and roll one ply of the tissue onto your roll and take it back home with you and you saved yourself 30 baht!

Anyway..... After going to a different bar and being quoted a high tip price... And that quote was before I even hid in the bathroom to avoid a tip... I was sure there was a reason for the high cost and after waking up this morning and looking in the mirror I discovered the reason.

Quasimoto surcharge. (~~)

Smiles
March 19th, 2014, 09:13
First of all it's 'Quasimodo', not 'Quasimoto'.

Let's just say it's just all about proportion:

For example, this is one Bad Ass 'Q' ...

[attachment=2:2z7y3aju]ChaneyHunchback2.jpg[/attachment:2z7y3aju]

As is this dude with the semi-exploded eyeball:

[attachment=1:2z7y3aju]hunchback-chaney1.jpg[/attachment:2z7y3aju]

Now THIS is a picture of a perfectly proportioned type of Quasimodoism. This guy can hand a towel to me any old time. The size matters not.

[attachment=0:2z7y3aju]proportion.jpg[/attachment:2z7y3aju]

christianpfc
March 19th, 2014, 14:29
Bucky is giving money saving tips to ChristianPFC, where will this end?

I think I spotted you once in Soi Twilight and Sunee last year, you look ok to me, there is no Quasimodo surcharge for you. (For those who don't know what we are talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasimodo.)

I had this (handing towels to customers, expecting tips) only in gay discos. But I expect, no, DEMAND that there is a bathroom with running water and towels, so trying to sell this to me as special service does not work (i.e. just a smile and "thank you", no tip).

But you are obviously (320 Baht beer) speaking about gogo bars. Which bar has bathroom staff that hands you a towel and expects a tip?

dab69
March 19th, 2014, 15:11
where in hell did you find a bathroom
with a roll of toilet paper?!!

I don't believe it.

bruce_nyc
March 19th, 2014, 15:20
It doesn't annoy me if there is an attendant in the restroom who is actually DOING something useful..... which is extremely rare....

But it does annoy the hell out of me when some guy hands me a towel, a stack of which are right there on the counter, and then begs for a tip. People end up tipping him because he makes them so UNCOMFORTABLE....... not because he makes their experience MORE comfortable..... which is exactly the opposite of how it should work.

scottish-guy
March 19th, 2014, 15:51
The most basic essential for any wanabee Quasimodo is not a bulging eye or horribly contorted face, but a HUMP.

And as well all know - in Thailand a hump costs money.

lego
March 19th, 2014, 15:55
Bathroom attendants are actually a common sight in Thai clubs that are mostly for locals, I've seen them in many places and not just here in Bangkok. I had my reservations, but I've grown to like them. I don't let them rub my shoulders while I take a leak (that would be over the top, I'm not Thai after all), but I do let them hand me a towel and might accept a shoulder massage while washing my hands. When you're drunk and chatty, they're there to listen to whatever nonsense you shout their way. I've flirted with one of them more than once (this works better at the clubs that aren't exclusively gay, go figure), and why not, the tip they expect isn't huge and you can put a smile on their face when you're friendly with them and give them a bit more.

Oh, and to add something on topic, I don't think the OP qualifies as Quasimodo either. I've seen much worse pretty much anytime I went to a go-go bar.

Smiles
March 19th, 2014, 20:24
I enjoy the Hong Nam ladies with those little sweeper things. They think nothing of cleaning between your legs as Mr Happy ~ as they say in Chiang Mai ~ is out and working.
I used to be rather terrified, but now I rather like it, and will not use the bathroom at the Tesco Lotus mall unless there is a Phuying hanging about waving a broom.
Is there something wrong with me?

And 'yes' above to the point regarding toilet paper. Never seen any either (never cared really ... the thought of a #2-er in a toilet other than my own horrifies me). Bucky, you'll have to get used to the ubiquitous Asshole Squirter and nothing else.
Which bar did you find toilet paper in use?

Surfcrest
March 19th, 2014, 23:17
I've never been to a bathroom, with bathroom attendants that wasn't clean. Once you get beyond the basics of clean, the percentage of bathrooms with running water, clean towels for your hands and face drops off sharply...so there's some basics that are being taken for granted with having a bathroom attendant that have small tip value. Twenty years ago, you would see a lot more facilities with bathroom attendants...so I guess as Thailand modernizes (like our own cigarette girls and shoe shiners), this is something probably we'll see less and less of.

Whenever I see them I'll throw them a small tip, as is customary for this service when it's offered. Like many, I'm not interested in a shoulder rub or any interaction when I'm using the facilities but I'll be sure to show a little appreciation...especially since it's a crappy (pardon the pun) job.

Surfcrest

[attachment=0:8pg819qh]cigarette girls 3.jpg[/attachment:8pg819qh]

lukylok
March 20th, 2014, 10:26
In Boys Boys Boys, Pattaya, there is a very persistent "attendant" expecting a tip. One of the several reasons I don't like the place very much.
As for cleanliness, I find there has been a very big improvement over the years and public facilities would often put to shame european ones.
Even the toilet on Dongtang beach is cleaner now that it has been taken over.
Ok paper ..... But which one of you ventures out without a little provision in your pocket ? ;)

bruce_nyc
March 20th, 2014, 10:45
Exactly. When I was talking about aggressive pushy WC attendants, the Boyz Boyz Boyz attendant was one in my mind. The only thing he did was start massaging my shoulders while I was peeing when I did not want that. Then hand me a paper towel off the top of the stack and put his hand out.

I'm not cheap. But services I don't want, I resent paying for. And maybe it's just me but I think for the price of a beer in a go go bar, the establishment should "shoulder" the cost of providing a clean toilet to pee in. Am I expecting too much?

Tips are supposed to be rewards for extra service I asked for, or at least agreed to..... Tips are not supposed to be just automatic handouts just for standing in my presence.

By the way, the toilets at Copa and some other establishments there are all very clean, if not cleaner than BBB, sans the guy with his hand out.

bucknaway
March 21st, 2014, 06:09
If memory serves me right, it was the Copa that had toilet Tissue in the stall. But like the rest of you, when I am in Thailand I prefer to spray my bottom with a forceful, yet cool and refreshing stream of water. :D

Smiles
March 21st, 2014, 10:10
If memory serves me right, it was the Copa that had toilet Tissue in the stall. But like the rest of you, when I am in Thailand I prefer to spray my bottom with a forceful, yet cool and refreshing stream of water.
Actually Buck, I think you may be surprised regarding this. I know many Farangs who live long term in Thailand who continue to smear shite all over The Area with ridiculous tiny pieces of paper rather than use the always-provided and wonderfully efficient butt hose. As a matter of fact I'm fairly sure the smearers are in the majority, and it's a hefty majority.
Barbarians, I say ...

Why don't you start a poll?

lukylok
March 21st, 2014, 10:18
I was also very surprised at the number of tha├пs who use both paper and water....

dinagam
March 21st, 2014, 18:00
@ lulylok,

More than 15% of Thais are of Chinese origin, with the habit of wiping their derrieres.
The indigenous southeast Asians prefer use of water over dry tissues.

Anyway, the water spray is for a good flush, and the paper comes in handy to keep the bottom dry. B-)