PDA

View Full Version : Communication with Thailand

Oliver
March 16th, 2014, 15:29
I've been unable to establish a video/aural link with my boyfriend in Thailand. The phone works perfectly well and I can get a video communication, via Tango, but no sound. It's the same for him.
Skype isn't available because his district hasn't got broadband.
He thinks that LINE is good within Thailand but I've been unable to register here in the UK.
Any ideas?

mahjongguy
March 16th, 2014, 17:16
Yahoo Messenger?

anonone
March 16th, 2014, 17:35
Strange. If he has a good enough connection that you can see video on Tango, then it shouldn't be limiting with other programs...and it shouldn't block audio if video is going through. Did you try using with ear pods or other type of headphone?

BF and I have been using Line for many months now. Great program that most of the Thai boys are using. We have very few issues with connectivity. Every once in a while we will have the call dropped, but can connect right back up without much problem. Video is good...not quite as good as Skype, but certainly acceptable.

BF is in Isan using 12Call service. He gets 3G speeds on a data packet 99baht for 1 week. I think they throttle back his speed after a certain data limit, but not sure.

As a last resort,if you just want to speak with him - Skype has reasonable monthly plans for calls to Thailand. I think it was about $12 USD for a month. Unlimited calls to all Thai numbers (landlines and mobile phones). I still keep this subscription as BF does not always have 3G service...depending on where he is at...friends house, farm, etc.

I think there were also a lot of other countries included with the same package, if that is of interest.

Bazzeroo
March 16th, 2014, 21:14
Line is very good and popular in Thailand but i believe you are unable to download the app in the UK, you need to download it whilst in Thailand once it it on your phone you can use it in the uk as it is internet based. very good service and FREE call. :D

bruce_nyc
March 20th, 2014, 11:02
I agree. LINE is great. Try audio only calls first. If that works well, then add video.

Why can't you download it in the UK? I'm sure you can install it from the US.

They signed a deal with a British competitor not to compete in the UK?

Maybe try using Tor on your phone to fool the server into thinking you're in a different country... Then download it.

When I was in the US last November, my bfs and I used Tango video and it worked reasonably well...... AS LONG AS we both had a good WiFi connection. But that was before LINE added video capability, I believe.

I think every Thai has LINE. It's more prevalent than Facebook!

Oliver
March 22nd, 2014, 15:34
Thanks everyone. I shall do as suggested and download LINE when I'm in Thailand in a couple months.

dab69
March 25th, 2014, 09:51
Having what must be the worlds only 4s iPhone without a Sim slot,
I downloaded VoIP the VoIP.

First it wouldn't sell me credits to use it.
Then it sold me credits- but wouldn't apply them to the app.
To this day when I push "purchase credits"
it responds with "buying credits not allowed."