PDA

View Full Version : Thailand expensive for medication

March 14th, 2014, 04:07
I forgot to pack my Crestor so I thought ok all those wise guys on Sawasdee are always talking about getting medication in Thailand. Went to several drug stores in Bangkok. Twice as expensive as good old Australia. Geez how do you expats live here? I thought this was a cheap country.

Smiles
March 14th, 2014, 04:52
Had to check what Crestor does. Cholesterol problems eh?
Better watch that dude ... with all the indiscriminate banging of Thai boys you apparently manage on your trips to Thailand I'd suggest you take care. The next bang might be your last.

jvt22222
March 14th, 2014, 07:15
Yes, Crestor is expensive ...I think 3700-3800 baht for 28 20 mg tabs .... I cut mine in half so lasts two months ....... due to the fact that there is not generic available yet in Thailand ..... most other high blood pressure, cholesterol and similar meds have available generics and are thus quite inexpensive.

March 14th, 2014, 07:28
I read somewhere of an Australian wannabee ex-pat who almost keeled over on finding that his insulin would cost him 4 times in Thailand what he pays at home., and that's before he gets the Australian pensioner discount. Apparently he can get enough insulin to last a month for $5 as a pensioner whereas it costs $30 a week in Thailand. He's now decided to spend some of the year in Thailand and haul his cheap medication with him. since the return airfare is way cheaper than getting medication in Thailand.

mahjongguy
March 14th, 2014, 10:12
"...I cut mine in half so lasts two months "

I was gonna mention that. One should check with a doctor first but with most statins half a dose works just as well.

Up2U
March 14th, 2014, 10:31
Yes, Crestor is expensive ...I think 3700-3800 baht for 28 20 mg tabs .... I cut mine in half so lasts two months ....... due to the fact that there is not generic available yet in Thailand ..... most other high blood pressure, cholesterol and similar meds have available generics and are thus quite inexpensive.

A friend now is taking generic Liptor. A 10mg dose costs 16 baht per day. Pretty cheap. In America, Crestor is more expensive than it is here.

Patanawet
March 14th, 2014, 13:40
Geez how do you expats live here? I thought this was a cheap country.
Have you tried CHULA PHESAJ pharmacy? Situated on Rama 4 between Silom and Suriwong.
Be sure to get the correct pharmacy as there are several on that stretch of road.
I buy my regular medication from there at half the price of Bangkok Christian.

Thai Dyed
March 14th, 2014, 13:55
Considering the food I see most expats eating in Thailand it's a wonder they all don't keel over from any number of Cardiovascular diseases.
Fat, grease, oils, black pieces of grizzle that they call "beef", warmed over greasy bacon drippings for breakfast and so on and so forth ad nauseam and ad mortem.

scottish-guy
March 14th, 2014, 16:27
And yet, Thai Dyed, it seems to me that they have all reached their 80's.

Or maybe they just look that age ;)

christianpfc
March 15th, 2014, 01:48
All medicine and medial treatment I received in Thailand was way cheaper than in Europe.

firecat69
March 15th, 2014, 02:03
I am fairly sure Australia has National Health so you can't possibly compare your prices under a National Health Plan with just buying the drugs in Thailand. Better to compare what a visitor would pay in Australia vs. a visitor to Thailand.

March 15th, 2014, 06:05
I am fairly sure Australia has National Health so you can't possibly compare your prices under a National Health Plan with just buying the drugs in Thailand. Better to compare what a visitor would pay in Australia vs. a visitor to Thailand.Surely if someone is deciding to retire to Thailand the appropriate comparison is cost-of-living including medical costs between a home in wherever and a home in Thailand? A cost of living in Thailand is the loss of access to subsidised medical costs.

scottish-guy
March 15th, 2014, 17:01
All medicine and medial treatment I received in Thailand was way cheaper than in Europe.

But Christian, I hear you're a relatively young man in good health - so I'd expect your medical risks and costs to have been low so far.

Many ex-pats are ticking time bombs!

bruce_nyc
March 19th, 2014, 15:06
I'm not on any medication either, but I have discovered that there is a hospital ( whose name is a misnomer ) called, Hospital for Tropical Diseases ( which treats almost everything... from dental to botox ).... which is crazy cheap. It's also brand new..... with state of the art equipment, and my doctor there was trained at Oxford.

My friend had SURGERY there. His total bill, including consulting with the doctors, the surgery, and all his prescriptions..... was about 1100 baht.

lego
March 19th, 2014, 15:32
Just in case someone's interested in the Hospital for Tropical Diseases bruce_nyc has mentioned, here's their website:

http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/hospital/

Personally, I've (only) used their very good Travel Clinic before, to get some vaccinations. Highly recommended and very cheap at the same time.

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/

bruce_nyc
March 19th, 2014, 19:09
While at it, I suppose I should mention.... The 12th floor is now dedicated to an MSM clinic (men who have sex with men) where all services are completely free...... testing, treatment, counseling, referrals. Totally anonymous. It's a pretty cool place.

fountainhall
September 20th, 2015, 11:47
Having travelled a lot, I take a prescription sleeping pill for long flights and short-stop multi-sector trips. In Hong Kong my doctor there gives me 20 tablets at the commercial price of less than Bt. 500. Here in Bangkok, only the locally produced generic version is available on prescription and 20 tablets cost almost Bt. 2,000. A friend who has heart problems used to order his medication from India through the mail. Thai customs put a stop to that. They confiscated one shipment and told him the same drugs were available here. With certain medications, the government sets the price. In those cases Thailand is a total rip-off.

firecat69
September 20th, 2015, 12:41
Count yourself lucky you do not need to buy it in the USA where you would pay 3-5 x the Thai price.

Oh and by the way that is exactly what happens when US citizens try to order drugs from Canadian Pharmacies where drugs are a fraction of the price. Last time I got Ambien 30 pills cost me $185 or a little over $6 per pill or 210 baht per pill which would be about 4200 baht for your 20 pills

Amazing how that works???

francois
September 20th, 2015, 14:44
My friend had SURGERY there. His total bill, including consulting with the doctors, the surgery, and all his prescriptions..... was about 1100 baht.

Just what was nature of surgery costing just 1100 Baht all inclusive?

danny99
September 20th, 2015, 15:13
I forgot to pack my Crestor

Why not try diet instead? 25 years ago my cholesterol was 8.6, tryglycerides 2.65 and blood pressure 180/115. Further complications when I subsequently went to Type II Diabetes. Research and testing I am now aware of all the food that is good for me [and those which I like] and stick to them I have just completed a 6 months trial period with ZERO medication and my tests back in Sydney last month were Chol 4.1 [a highest ever HDL 1.2] Glycerides a lowest ever 0.9, resultant sugar levels so low that my doctor would only refer to them as if I was in a 'pre diabetes' state as you are never cured of diabetes, and best of all blood pressure 120/70. Of course the 16kg weight loss [from 96kg to 80kg] as a result of the good eating [low carbs and sugar, the right fruit, veg and meats, etc] helped a lot!

Dodger
September 20th, 2015, 17:47
The best way to reduce the cost of prescription medicine is to maintain a healthy diet, exercise daily, and take daily supplements of whatever vitamins and/or nutrients you feel you need based on your eating habits and genetics.

The food in Thailand, like most S.E. Asian countries, is drastically low in protein, which is something our bodies need even more of as we age. The RDA for protein for an adult male is about 60 grams/daily, and if you're diet consists of mainly Thai food, you will find that you are getting less than 15 grams/daily. I have to pack 3 - 2 lb. (32 ounce) containers of whey protein in my suitcase to last me 3 months in Thailand. I take this as a daily supplement after my morning workouts. The cost of a 2 lb. container of protein in the U.S. is $17 (570 baht), and in Thailand this would cost about 4,500 baht. I think you will see this same huge price variance with all preventive health supplements in Thailand, i.e., multi-vitamins, fish oil (w/Omega 3), acidophilus, etc.

Acidophilus (a probiotic), is a supplement of live bacteria (a billion cells per capsule), taken primarily for intestinal hygiene, and should be taken daily. It not only prevents things like dysentery and diarrhea, but most importantly, builds a strong resistance to foreign bacteria which cause so many illnesses and diseases. This is very hard to find in Thailand, but costs 6 times more in Thailand than the U.S. Anyone who is visiting or living in Thailand who is not taking acidophilus daily is making a mistake.

One of the reasons I plan to visit the U.S. once per year after retiring and living in Thailand full-time, besides visiting family members, is to get my supply of the 4 things mentioned (Vitamins, Protein, Fish Oil, Acidophilus). Anyone with a history of heart disease should also consider Co-Q10, which is also a preventative supplement.

As far as reactionary prescription medicine goes, it never hits my shopping cart.

francois
September 20th, 2015, 18:05
For those of you who are interested in alternative medicine, here is an article on Dr. Mitchell Gaynor who taught patients to supplement their treatments with music, diet and meditation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/healt ... odayspaper (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/health/mitchell-l-gaynor-59-manhattan-oncologist-and-advocate-for-alternative-treatments-dies.html?ref=todayspaper)

He committed suicide at age 59; probably a result of banging on those singing Tibetan bowls.

francois
September 20th, 2015, 18:07
As far as reactionary prescription medicine goes, it never hits my shopping cart.

Are cigarettes and alcohol also considered reactionary meds?

Smiles
September 20th, 2015, 21:41
Are cigarettes and alcohol also considered reactionary meds?
:)) :-B ... don't forget crack, which apparently is the new acidophilus. (That's a dinosaur, right?)
Man, there's a lot of decrepit drugged-up farangs on this board. I had no idea.

francois
September 20th, 2015, 23:22
In the words of the French patriot, Henri Patrice, "Give me my meds or give me death".

cdnmatt
September 20th, 2015, 23:26

A good chunk of the Western world is medicated these days. Kind of makes me sick, because I wonder how many meds these people actually need, versus what could be taken care of naturally via diet, exercise, healthy sex life, emotional well being, etc.

Everyone seems to be on something though. Feeling a bit sad? No problem, have some Zoloft.

Personally, I don't even take aspirin let alone anything else. I would take prescription meds if absolutely needed (ie. blood pressure, diabetes, etc.), but for all intents, I'm not touching them. I like letting my immune system learn how to naturally fight things off, versus setting it off balance and weakening it by doping it up.

francois
September 20th, 2015, 23:30

A good chunk of the Western world is medicated these days. Kind of makes me sick, because I wonder how many meds these people actually need, versus what could be taken care of naturally via diet, exercise, healthy sex life, emotional well being, etc.

Did you read the obit of the good Doctor Gaynor posted above?

cdnmatt
September 20th, 2015, 23:47
Yes, I did. And so? Does that mean I should go running to Pfizer?

whitemouse
September 21st, 2015, 06:05
Having travelled a lot, I take a prescription sleeping pill for long flights and short-stop multi-sector trips. In Hong Kong my doctor there gives me 20 tablets at the commercial price of less than Bt. 500.

Here in Bangkok, only the locally produced generic version is available on prescription and 20 tablets cost almost Bt. 2,000.

That is big difference in price! Can I ask what is this sleep medication, please? 2.000 Bt seems expensive for 20 tablets, maybe you could name the active ingredient, please!

latintopxxx
September 21st, 2015, 10:55
two glasses of wine and a good fuck always put me to sleep....

francois
September 21st, 2015, 12:12

Well, you may want to invest in their stock. Price has doubled in past 5 years and appears to be on the climb.

Your dismissal of benefits of modern medicine, even aspirin , seems somewhat naive. Do you also spurn vaccines and let your immune system fight it off? Of course if you don't have high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol or other medical issues then no reason to take meds although low-dose aspirin seems to have proven benefits.
Then there are those who pooh-pooh meds but swear by vitamins and supplements which likely have no value with some exceptions.

Dodger
September 21st, 2015, 14:24
francois,

Nutrition, health and hygiene are the main reasons people are living longer.

Pharmaceutical medicines are definately a plus when someone's suffering from a chronic condition...no argument there, but they are not the reason why people are living longer and healthier lives. How many people did you see out jogging in the morning back in the 70's...or eating a salad instead of a plate full of greasy pork chops and french fries for dinner? The pharmaceutical company's would want you to think that you can't survive without them, but in actuality, you will survive longer without them.

September 21st, 2015, 15:31
Perhaps this is the sort of predatoty behaviour by drug companies that firecat69 is contemplating: an overnight rise from $13.50 to $750 a tablet (http://www.medicalwebtimes.com/read/a_huge_overnight_increase_in_a_drugas_price_raises _protests/) for one drug. It's one reason countries that sign Free Trade Agreements with the USA need to exercise extreme caution - the IP clauses are always intended to protect the drug companies

Dodger
September 21st, 2015, 16:50
I can't say it any better than this guy:

http://truththeory.com/2015/07/04/the-b ... ig-pharma/ (http://truththeory.com/2015/07/04/the-big-pharmaceutical-scam-7-shocking-truths-about-big-pharma/)

francois
September 21st, 2015, 17:23
francois,

Nutrition, health and hygiene are the main reasons people are living longer.

Pharmaceutical medicines are definately a plus when someone's suffering from a chronic condition...no argument there, but they are not the reason why people are living longer and healthier lives. How many people did you see out jogging in the morning back in the 70's...or eating a salad instead of a plate full of greasy pork chops and french fries for dinner? The pharmaceutical company's would want you to think that you can't survive without them, but in actuality, you will survive longer without them.

Can't say I agree with you, Dodger. I believe people are living longer due to modern medicine in all its various forms.
Last time in USA I saw so many women with fat asses and men with bulging bellies that I thought I was in an alternate universe. Fact is more people today eat more junk food than ever before, what else could explain the obesity epidemic?

So in meantime I will keep popping my Lipitor!

loke
September 21st, 2015, 22:49
If people had started to exercise from the age of 50 we would have less problems with our bodies when we get older. And less medications , less doctors to visit.
I walk 4k daily , and I try to eat healthy food , nott too much of the fat stuff. Seems to work for me so far.

Jellybean
September 21st, 2015, 23:16
. . . I have to pack 3 - 2 lb. (32 ounce) containers of whey protein in my suitcase to last me 3 months in Thailand. I take this as a daily supplement after my morning workouts. The cost of a 2 lb. container of protein in the U.S. is $17 (570 baht), and in Thailand this would cost about 4,500 baht. I think you will see this same huge price variance with all preventive health supplements in Thailand, i.e., multi-vitamins, fish oil (w/Omega 3), acidophilus, etc.

Acidophilus (a probiotic), is a supplement of live bacteria (a billion cells per capsule), taken primarily for intestinal hygiene, and should be taken daily. It not only prevents things like dysentery and diarrhea, but most importantly, builds a strong resistance to foreign bacteria which cause so many illnesses and diseases. This is very hard to find in Thailand, but costs 6 times more in Thailand than the U.S. Anyone who is visiting or living in Thailand who is not taking acidophilus daily is making a mistake . . .

Well, thankee kindly Dodger for your useful advice. I hadnтАЩt heard of the two products you mentioned. Today I popped into Holland & Barrett, a health food store here in the UK, and bought 100 capsules of Acidophilus with Pectin and a 450g sachet of Whey Protein. And rather happily I benefited from their тАШbuy one, get one half priceтАЩ offer. The assistant advised me to take only half the recommended dose of the protein in order to avoid any unpleasant side-effects whilst my body becomes accustomed to the product.

IтАЩm not exactly in the best of health and while in Thailand I do suffer all too frequently with a dodgy stomach. IтАЩve also found myself unusually and annoyingly fatigued and listless during my long stays in Thailand. And, as I attend a gym 6 days a week, taking Whey protein on a regular basis should, hopefully, reenergise me and the Acidophilus should, I hope, help with my dodgy stomach problems.

тАШere! This forumтАЩs like an education, ainтАЩt it? :-B

francois
September 21st, 2015, 23:28
Jellybean, you may want to try some snake oil which cures a variety of aliments. =P~

cdnmatt
September 21st, 2015, 23:52

Well, you may want to invest in their stock. Price has doubled in past 5 years and appears to be on the climb.

And why do you think that is? Because more people are getting sick nowadays, or because they're doing what a company is supposed to do -- pursue profits for their shareholders?

Your dismissal of benefits of modern medicine, even aspirin , seems somewhat naive.

No qualms about taking meds if I need them. I'm a prime candidate for diabetes as if runs rife in my family, so if / when that happens, I'll be happy to take meds for it. Or if I somehow contract HIV (unlikely), then yeah, I'll take meds for that too. For all intents and purposes though, no, I'm not touching them. When I get sick, I drink water, green tea, and get lots of rest.

Ok, bit of a lie. About 3 years ago I lost a battle with a grease fire, and on top of the creams / ointments, also took some anti-biotics to stave off an infection. Same goes for my dogs. When they cut themselves badly while playing, I'm happy to shove anti-biotics into them while they heal.

Nonetheless, you can't tell me the amount of prescription meds people shove into their bodies these days makes for a healthy society though. Our immune systems have evolved over millions of years, are extremely resilient, and shouldn't be played with unless necessary.

lukylok
September 22nd, 2015, 02:21
Don't you think taking "supplements", probiotic or else without any need, is just the same or worse than taking meds on doctor's orders....
And making the same company rich ?
Normal healthy food provides more than enough vitamins, minerals, .... but it is not fashionable ?

Surfcrest
September 22nd, 2015, 02:51
One of the big problems is that people use prescription medication to help them live the life they want to live, rather than the life they should.

One of the most common problems people fight is obesity. The health implications for obesity are great, there could be several problems caused by obesity that people treat individually by symptom...rather than by cause. The problem caused is with the side effects, the new symptoms caused by the side effects and the additional prescription medication to address that. Pretty soon the original problem gets lost in the secondary issues caused by the drugs and their side effects that simply spirals.

I've personally had a different problem an auto-immune deficiency that I've had all my life and in the 90's it progressed to the point where doctors began treating the issue with steroids. The steroids work on the symptoms of the problem, but not the problem itself and so my issues manifest into something more resilient that requires a more aggressive strategy with the steroids with subsequent flare ups.

I started coming to Thailand in the early part of the 1990's and discovered an amazing doctor and acupuncturist in Bangkok that has taken me down a different path and has allowed me to wean myself entirely from the steroids when I'm in Thailand. I haven't been able to make it back to Thailand since 2013 and it's only now that I'm starting to suffer again...that the previous treatments have lasted me this long. Ever since I discovered acupuncture, I have no issues whatsoever with sleep or being able to slow it all down to the point of relaxation.

Prescription medication is big business. Drugs are cheaper in Canada because they are subsidized by the government and they are regulated differently than in the United States, probably in relation to universal health care and the fact that the folks that regulate the drug companies are the drug company's biggest purchaser up here. The TV, especially channels from the US are constantly playing drug commercials telling you to "Ask your doctor if this drug is right for you".

The reality, as has been mentioned before, if you look after your body you won't need the medications that will try to do that job for you.

Surfcrest

francois
September 22nd, 2015, 14:45
The reality, as has been mentioned before, if you look after your body you won't need the medications that will try to do that job for you.
Surfcrest

I suppose, if from a young age, I ate a vegan style diet, lowered my body weight by 10 kg and forwent wine then maybe would not have heart problems? But now modern medicine and medical procedures are what keep me alive. As mentioned before, give me my meds or give me death.

As for those who say, "look at me, I don't take meds and I am thriving"; I say to them, consider the words of Shakespeare;

He jests at scars that never felt a wound.

Romeo & Juilet

Jellybean
September 22nd, 2015, 22:30
Jellybean, you may want to try some snake oil which cures a variety of aliments. =P~
Aye . . . and bah humbug to you too mon ami!

Now, are you absolutely sure you wouldnтАЩt like me to bring out some Whey Protein and Acidophilus for you? It wouldnтАЩt be the least trouble you know. After all, you were looking rather peely-wally the last time I saw you.

=))

September 23rd, 2015, 10:01
The reality, as has been mentioned before, if you look after your body you won't need the medications that will try to do that job for you.What a load of sanctimonious, self-righteous, self-serving twaddle - the sort of attitude I expect from, say, Richard. Apart from the long, long list of congenital illnesses that you may be born with, such as Type 1 diabetes, we are all at risk of illness caught simply by association with others, let alone the (inevitable) accidents along the way, workplace issues (think mesothelioma) and general physical wear-and-tear as we age. Supposedly 20% of the general population have mental health problems - I suppose Surfcrest's answer would be "positive thinking" as a "cure".

Surfcrest
September 27th, 2015, 02:30
What a load of sanctimonious, self-righteous, self-serving twaddle - the sort of attitude I expect from, say, Richard. Apart from the long, long list of congenital illnesses that you may be born with, such as Type 1 diabetes, we are all at risk of illness caught simply by association with others, let alone the (inevitable) accidents along the way, workplace issues (think mesothelioma) and general physical wear-and-tear as we age. Supposedly 20% of the general population have mental health problems - I suppose Surfcrest's answer would be "positive thinking" as a "cure".
First of all, I can only assume that this mention of a Richard is a dig at another member...which, unless you can produce a "Richard" is against the rules.

You are correct, those born with congenital illnesses that are purely genetic may require prescription medication.

You need to remember that we as individuals of our species are here today because we and our ancestor's genes got us this far, through times when there were no prescription medications. Through times when we lived in far less comfort and were exposed to more illnesses. We've come through a period of commercialism now where we've been convinced knowingly and wrongly that we need to be hooked on a chemical to enjoy a better quality of life...and that's where it starts.

A great deal of mental illness is attributable to a chemical imbalance in the brain. As far as I know, no one has come up with a specific cause for this yet.

As for positive thinking, I can tell you that when I was diagnosed with cancer in 2004 the counseling group that supplemented my treatment plan gave me books to read by Carl Jung that indeed spoke about "positive thinking". Having survived that, I'm a believer now that it isn't just the surgery and the treatment that gets a patient through cancer and if this is so, then indeed it plays a role in where the disease originated.

Surfcrest

September 27th, 2015, 04:32
20% of the general population have mental health problems - I suppose Surfcrest's answer would be "positive thinking" as a "cure".As for positive thinking, I can tell you that when I was diagnosed with cancer in 2004 the counseling group that supplemented my treatment plan gave me books to read by Carl Jung that indeed spoke about "positive thinking". Having survived that, I'm a believer now that it isn't just the surgery and the treatment that gets a patient through cancer and if this is so, then indeed it plays a role in where the disease originated.No confirmation was required that you are utterly incapable of making a logical argument.

Dodger
September 27th, 2015, 05:27
kommentariat wrote:

No confirmation was required that you are utterly incapable of making a logical argument.

Actually, I think Surfcrests remarks were very logical, and turning this into an argument (your attempts, not anyone else's) just happens to be the exact opposite of the "positive thinking" that Surfcrest was talking about.

Did we forget to take our meds today?

cdnmatt
September 27th, 2015, 05:53
The reality, as has been mentioned before, if you look after your body you won't need the medications that will try to do that job for you.What a load of sanctimonious, self-righteous, self-serving twaddle - the sort of attitude I expect from, say, Richard. Apart from the long, long list of congenital illnesses that you may be born with, such as Type 1 diabetes, we are all at risk of illness caught simply by association with others, let alone the (inevitable) accidents along the way, workplace issues (think mesothelioma) and general physical wear-and-tear as we age. Supposedly 20% of the general population have mental health problems - I suppose Surfcrest's answer would be "positive thinking" as a "cure".

Born with diabetes? That's a new one.

Nobody is born with diabetes. You can be genetically pre-disposed it, but you obtain it via unhealthy living. How many 2 year old diabetics do you know of?

Up2U
September 27th, 2015, 08:22

Born with diabetes? That's a new one.

Nobody is born with diabetes. You can be genetically pre-disposed it, but you obtain it via unhealthy living. How many 2 year old diabetics do you know of?
Infants can have a malfunctioning pancreas.
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/cond ... parenting/ (http://edition.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/10/17/baby.diabetes.parenting/)

September 27th, 2015, 09:04
Sadly cdnmatt doesn't even know how to spell 'ignoramus'

September 27th, 2015, 10:25
You and Surfcrest are two peas in a pod, Didger - unless of course you are able to explain the similarity between suffering from mental illness and recovering from a physical one

Sadly the mobile version of this site now shows with a black background which makes spelling Dodger correctly somewhat difficult

Dodger
September 27th, 2015, 13:20
тАЬAll that we are is the result of what we have thought.
The mind is everything.
What we think we become.тАЭ

- Lord Buddha

francois
September 27th, 2015, 14:54

Tell that to the millions of people who have Type 1 diabetes. Why do you think Type 1 was formally referred to as Juvenile diabetes?

Wasn't it you that stated diabetes runs in your family? Does that mean your family is living an unhealthy lifestyle?

September 27th, 2015, 18:29
The mind is everything.

- Lord Buddha
I'll pass that thought on to my niece whose son has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm sure he'll find becoming a Buddhist far more efficacious than the medication he's been prescribed

bruce_nyc
September 27th, 2015, 18:41
The mind is everything.

I love love love this quote. It's so very true.

( regardless of who said it )

( even if you told me donald the buffoon trump said it, I'd still say the same thing )

Dodger
September 27th, 2015, 19:30
kommentariat wrote:

I'll pass that thought on to my niece whose son has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm sure he'll find becoming a Buddhist far more efficacious than the medication he's been prescribed

We know that nature is constantly evolving, genes sometimes spontaneously mutate and then defects occur. We also understand that it is a natural part of life that these things occur, and when they do, we have no choice but to cope with it. Some Buddhist's believe that this is the result of karmic consequences, but others (including myself) believe that this is just a natural part of life.

For the sake of an interesting discussion, who's to say that people suffering with schizophrenia are not capable of positive natural thought. I'm not suggesting that these people should not be taking prescription medicine to help counteract the effects of schizophrenia, but suggesting that the meds they are being fed every day may not, in-and-by-themselves, be the answer. At least Jack Nicholson saw it this way.

Surfcrest
September 27th, 2015, 21:56
I think the point of this thread is "Thailand expensive for medication" and one of the solutions I'm at least advocating here is that coming to Thailand is an excellent opportunity to address the causes for why we need prescription medications and to find other solutions while we're here to try to live healthier without them.

It's certainly something that's not for everyone, given our individual ailments. For some of us these symptoms may have started so long ago that they're irreversible at this point in our life. For more short term issues, such as dietary illnesses or illness brought on by poor conditioning, being here and with time on our hands is a tremendous opportunity that I for one take advantage of now with each visit. It's something that started for me in Thailand back in 2004 that has become a part of my healthier lifestyle today that extends now to my lifestyle back home.

Schizophrenia, as I said before, is a chemical imbalance of the brain...that is treatable with medication that restores that imbalance. Unles you know what the specific cause of that is, it's going to be difficult for you to argue with the membership in the context of this thread unles this is the expensive medication that you are buying in Thailand...rather than bringing with you on your trip?

Surfcrest

September 28th, 2015, 03:21
Unles you know what the specific cause of that is, it's going to be difficult for you to argue with the membership in the context of this thread unles this is the expensive medication that you are buying in Thailand...rather than bringing with you on your trip?See my previous response to you

Surfcrest
September 28th, 2015, 05:30
See my previous response to you
Yawn....must I?

Surfcrest

francois
September 28th, 2015, 14:59
It's certainly something that's not for everyone, given our individual ailments. For some of us these symptoms may have started so long ago that they're irreversible at this point in our life. For more short term issues, such as dietary illnesses or illness brought on by poor conditioning, being here and with time on our hands is a tremendous opportunity that I for one take advantage of now with each visit. It's something that started for me in Thailand back in 2004 that has become a part of my healthier lifestyle today that extends now to my lifestyle back home.

Surfcrest

Quite the opposite for me; so much easier to lead a healthier lifestyle back home than here in Thailand.

September 28th, 2015, 15:12
Quite the opposite for me; so much easier to lead a healthier lifestyle back home than here in Thailand.Absolutely

Up2U
September 28th, 2015, 15:37
Quite the opposite for me; so much easier to lead a healthier lifestyle back home than here in Thailand.Absolutely
I agree, joining a good gym, running, walking is cheaper and simpler back home for me. Something as simple buying baby aspirin can be a chore. No cheap Costco multiple vitamins here. I will say my blood pressure and statins are so cheap here I don't even bother for claiming my medical reimbursement.

bruce_nyc
September 29th, 2015, 16:30
In spite of the US' reputation for bad food.... There are now loads of options for healthy food restaurants, meal delivery services, and grocery shopping... in bigger cities like New York. So eating healthy is actually much easier there than here. I know of only one healthy meal delivery service in Thailand ( paleorobbie.com ).

The poor are relegated to eating junk food and McDonalds there.... and street food and 7-11 here.... I'm not sure which is worse... but none are healthy. High fructose corn syrup in everything there. And MSG and old fryer grease here.

Yraen
October 3rd, 2015, 06:55
Sorry I haven't commented earlier. I only just saw this thread today.

I live in Aus and have had high cholesterol issues. I was prescribed and lived with statin tablets for 20 years. Then my pharmacist suggested I should ask my General Practitioner about Co-Enzyme Q10 or Co Q10. (Long-term use of statins appears to be contraindicated due many side-effects.) Having 10 minutes before given me a new script for the statin, the GP nearly fell off his chair when I returned and asked about the Co Q10. He then acknowledged that one of his heart specialist friends uses Co Q10 as his sole cholesterol control agent.

I now do likewise and have done for several years with my chol-tests wobbling around 5.0 to 5.5. My Co Q10 comes in 6-monthly "job lots" from http://www.PuritansPride.com . If importing into TH, you should explore the need for an import licence - TH nationals can import for personal use, non-residents/"farang" may need a licence. (Personal experience).

I find most of the PAYG drug prices in Thailand are quite reasonable, especially at the wholesale stores. To compare AU and TH prices, one has to look at the [Full Cost xxx} on the AU pharmacy label. Then one quickly deduces that brand-name drugs are pretty much the same regardless of country or average income. Look here -http://www.pbs.gov.au/ - for information on the AU drug subsidy programme.

At the same time, I have to agree with those people who have suggested an 'energetic' lifestyle and a balanced and nutritious diet is a good thing. I have found it is easier to do than I had previously thought. As a side-benefit, I have dropped from 132 Kg to 100 Kg (for the USians among us, 290 lbs to 220 kbs) - usually .5 to 1 Kg per month - and I now have a short-term goal of 90 Kg, hopefully lower. In my case, this helps take stress off my heart, blood system, arthritic leg-joints and helps keep my blood glucose levels under control.

Good luck people. :ymhug: