PDA

View Full Version : Good rates currently on KLM-AF Thailand flights May/Jun/July

newalaan2
February 22nd, 2014, 18:29
As I usually do, when I get back from a trip to Thailand I immediately book the next one. After checking out and booking for June, I note at the moment KLM-AF offering good rates from UK via Amsterdam and Paris. Economy around ┬г560 with good connection times for May/June/July. I usually upgrade seat to an economy comfort one and find that more than adequate for my comfort for a 10-11 hour flight to Thailand.

I think gone are the days of paying ┬г2000+ for business class. I had business class one way back in Sept last year and while it was 'nice' to get stretched out, it was not as big a deal as the price makes it out to be. I'm not interested in 'Champers' and couldn't give a toss about wine snobbery etc.. The food, while much better than Economy and delicious, was equivalent to a ┬г10 meal in an average restaurant. Being 5' 8" and 10.5 stone the Economy seats are well ok for me. I read for first 2-3 hours and sit up, so bus class means nothing, I then sleep for about 4 hours, so again I don't know what I am missing/enjoying during that time in Bus Class. I have only tea for breakfast as a 9.30am arrival is equivalent to 3.30am body clock time for me and so not hungry, so no need for bus class breakfast!......Economy is fine with maybe an upgrade to slightly more comfortable seat if I fancy it, which I can 'buy' with Award Miles.

So I really can't justify the cost of Bus Class for what you actually/realistically get. The status of Bus Class means absolutely nothing to me, I have been surrounded by business types since I was 30 when I started my businesses and find quite a large percentage of them to be a bunch of self-obsessed wankers. I find an equal amount of ignorant, boorish behaviour from certain passengers in Bus Class as I do Economy. I do have a Frq Fly card and it is handy for quick check-in, VIP lanes at airport and Airline Lounges if a long stop over but 'being' in Bus Class means nothing to me.

It's incredible that 14 years ago on my first flight I paid ┬г600+ on BA, and now there are good connection/flight times cheaper than 14 years ago!

Daniel-old
February 23rd, 2014, 19:06
I too noticed that KLM were offering some good prices for UK-Amsterdam-Bangkok flights this summer. I'm only twenty minutes from Norwich Airport, so the service is really convenient for me.

As a self-obsessed (and sometimes boorish) wanker, I bought a return business class ticket direct from KLM's web site for ┬г1861.13.

francois
February 24th, 2014, 21:52
Champers and Wankers; it took me a while to understand the meaning but the Urban Dicktionary had the definitions.

I do enjoy the Champagne in Biz Class but never noticed anyone wanking. :p

newalaan2
February 24th, 2014, 23:19
find quite a large percentage of them to be a bunch of self-obsessed wankers. I find an equal amount of ignorant, boorish behaviour from certain passengers

As a self-obsessed (and sometimes boorish) wanker, I bought a return business class ticket direct from KLM's web site for ┬г1861.13.
That's a good price for Bus Class in 2014, and not far off the ┬г1600 they charged for 'Holiday Bus Class' I used a few times pre-2008, but still not worth the difference (for me) for what you actually get. When KLM used 747s on that route the upper deck Bus Class was excellent, on the now used 777s some of the bus class seats are in middle row of 3 and the cabin feels a bit crushed together, not all that different from Economy Comfort (for my needs).

Of course, being esteemed SGT members, "Daniel" and "Francois" could and would not under any circumstances be included among that "large percentage" of "self obsessed ignorant, boorish wankers"! Why the very thought.........!

francois
February 25th, 2014, 03:26
Of course, being esteemed SGT members, "Daniel" and "Francois" could and would not under any circumstances be included among that "large percentage" of "self obsessed ignorant, boorish wankers"! Why the very thought.........!

Some years ago I did fly KLM from Amsterdam to Bangkok in upper cabin of a 747; KLM was offering two tickets for the price of one during the SARS outbreak; the good old days are gone for good.

Depending on the airline, both upper and lower Biz Class cabins on 747s now have individual pods and there is little or no interaction with fellow passengers so they can wank in privacy as they swill Champagne. For those in Economy, I say "let them eat cake". :p