PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Copa

Oliver
February 7th, 2014, 10:43
....or, more precisely Mr Glen as he is termed in the fliers, for inviting me to his street party last night. Well, to be strictly honest, I wasn't so much invited to his birthday celebrations as having them imposed upon me: until 0300.
It was not a big event; about forty revelers, I'd guess, and with the surrounding bars in Boyztown less busy than usual (heaven knows why) the soi was not crowded. But it made up for this with its sheer, deafening volume. My laptop bounced on my desk as that thumping bass (so over-amplified as to conceal tonal variation) made its impact. And to assist in my enjoyment, Mr Glen had thoughtfully placed his array of loudspeakers so that they faced my room head on.
Serves me right for complaining last year.
But no, I jest; Boyztown tourists don't count for much when one of Pattaya's aristocracy wishes to put on a vanity show- a celebration so important to the whole community that holding it inside the bar, with the doors closed , where the revelers could easily be accommodated, was out of the question. And of course, any thoughts that it could be held at home.... what would the neighbours say?
Accordingly, we were all expected to celebrate one of the biggest events of the year, Mr Glen's birthday, whether we liked it or not.
So, for the second year in succession, Mr Glen, on behalf of the hotel guests who wanted to sleep , those who wanted a drink in Panorama and the opportunity to talk with their friends, and the other bar-owners, thank you.

catawampuscat
February 7th, 2014, 11:01
Probably Glen had no control over the mind boggling loudness of the music. It's a Thai thing and one of the
thorns of life in Thailand. I won't stay in Yensabai condo again, after many nights of no sleep due to insane
loudness and giant loudspeakers. Yensabai condo close to Sunee Plaza where many birthday parties run to 3am.

Bobett
February 7th, 2014, 13:28
Come on chaps its Pattaya a holiday city. If it was too quiet everyone would be moaning about that. As for Glens birthday you said yourself it was just that night once a year.

I never understand why people stay in the entertainment area and then complain about the noise. If you want quiet go stay somewere outside the entertainment area. Iv lived in Sunee plaza for a few years and put up with the noise as I liked to walk out the door and be where I needed to be. Also easy to get back to the room when pissed LOL.

About 3 years ago I moved and now live in a nice quiet area that is only a short bike ride from Sunee, Patayaland etc.

What Im saying is if you want to fall out the door right bye the bars then dont go to bed when there is a party going on.Get out there and join in.

Your on holiday for fuck sake!! :ymparty:

Up2U
February 7th, 2014, 15:58
OP, why complain and get upset, just move? That's what I did, after staying at the Ambiance for several years I just got tired of the racket from the street, from BBB, and late night noise coming from the hallways. Problem solved.

arsenal
February 7th, 2014, 19:43
You have been here before with the same complaint Oliver. It's unlikely to change.

colmx
February 8th, 2014, 01:40
Funny thing about birthdays is that the happen on the same date every year...

So if you had an issue with Glens B'day last year... why did you think it would be any different this year?

Same same the parties in Castro that you have also complained about over the last year...

I think its time you found some where new to stay... I was going to suggest Baan Souy... but MJ also throws Birthday bashes so that probably wouldn't suit, nor would jomtien complex as they have parties there too...

Maybe you need to start staying in East Pattaya on the "dark side"

joe552
February 8th, 2014, 03:29
I have to agree with colmx and others - since this is not the first time the OP has experienced this, why would he return at the same time. Time to move on - in more ways than one.

scottish-guy
February 8th, 2014, 06:54
<<<<<<<< scores Joe off the RIP list. Dammit, I had him in the sweepstake too.

Welcome back, I suppose.

:))

colmx
February 8th, 2014, 07:09
Yes welcome back Joe!
When are you, NIrish, RonanTheBarbarian, myself and any other volunteers gonna have our much anticipated sawatdee night out in Dublin?

Oliver
February 8th, 2014, 11:47
Any explanation as to why the party wasn't inside Copa? BBB, Cafe Royale, Funny Boys and Throb have all had numerous parties while I've been staying there. Often these involve buffets outside....while the music stays inside. Why is Copa different? Of the three venues it probably has the biggest space.

And why does the management of Copa ignore ignore the views of other businesses in the soi?
I'm sorry to say this but I have the impression that social and community responsibility are virtues that are not respected there. Even worse; I sense a degree of self- importance. For what it's worth (and I know it's very little) I am not returning to this bar after supporting Cockpit, Throb and Copa since 1996. For newbies, these are the three bars that have stood on that site since Boyztown was first established. Just a gesture which I hope others follow.

I like my hotel. I like it's location. Why should I be forced to move to an area I don't wish to be in after seventeen years? Why should my hotel, one that treats me well, lose my custom because of Copa? I have another idea; the large number of people who were annoyed on Thursday (including bar-owners) should make it clear to the management of Copa that all the businesses in the soi depend on each other. The soi , as a whole, clearly lost custom on Thursday. I don't believe that the fact that one man's birthday justifies any of this. It's the sort of behaviour to be expected from spoiled adolescents, not mature businessmen.

focusedinthai
February 8th, 2014, 13:49
For lack of a more gentle way to say it, your line of thinking and rationale is simply wrong. You do not seem to understand that the bars in Boyztown, particularly on the soi you are talking about, do have a certain understanding that each other WILL have parties for time to time. It is simply a part of running a business in the entertainment district. Just a few weeks ago, Oscars Bar had a party in the street that was equally as loud as the Copa party on Thursday. Other bars just dealt with it. There was not bitching, as you describe it, amongst bar owners. You are likely getting confused with 'managers' who might complain because they are losing a few precious tips from that night, but I know many of the bar owners in the soi and they are ok with the parties. Again - like others have said - go elsewhere if it is too loud. By the way - Copa has, in my view, one of the fewest number of 'special' nights per month on the soi. They only have 2-3 a month. I hardly think that warrants you calling them out on this forum. If you wish to defame other businesses for trying to provide customers with a little entertainment from time to time, then you should be fair about it and call out every bar on the soi - because they are all loud for pete's sake - which is why many go there in the first place.

Any explanation as to why the party wasn't inside Copa? BBB, Cafe Royale, Funny Boys and Throb have all had numerous parties while I've been staying there. Often these involve buffets outside....while the music stays inside. Why is Copa different? Of the three venues it probably has the biggest space.

And why does the management of Copa ignore ignore the views of other businesses in the soi?
I'm sorry to say this but I have the impression that social and community responsibility are virtues that are not respected there. Even worse; I sense a degree of self- importance. For what it's worth (and I know it's very little) I am not returning to this bar after supporting Cockpit, Throb and Copa since 1996. For newbies, these are the three bars that have stood on that site since Boyztown was first established. Just a gesture which I hope others follow.

I like my hotel. I like it's location. Why should I be forced to move to an area I don't wish to be in after seventeen years? Why should my hotel, one that treats me well, lose my custom because of Copa? I have another idea; the large number of people who were annoyed on Thursday (including bar-owners) should make it clear to the management of Copa that all the businesses in the soi depend on each other. The soi , as a whole, clearly lost custom on Thursday. I don't believe that the fact that one man's birthday justifies any of this. It's the sort of behaviour to be expected from spoiled adolescents, not mature businessmen.

catawampuscat
February 8th, 2014, 17:15
Sad truth is nobody gives a shit.
Why is the no tobacco smoking law ignored by bar owners and the police?

I complained to a bar owner in Sunee about the ear shattering music outside his bar until 3am. He just shrugged
and said he goes home well before midnight. Translation: I don't give a shit.
Copa doesn't give a shit either but at least they enforce the no smoking law.
The only solution is the police and they don't give a .....

arsenal
February 8th, 2014, 19:27
Ok, I do undserstand how you feel and you do make a good point, why should you move when it's not you doing anything wrong. A couple of suggestions then. if it's a birthday party then it's only once a year so move just for that night. Or make sure your room is as far away from the soi as possible. Lastly invest in some really good ear plugs, they posibly won't drown out everything but perhaps enough for it not to keep you awake.

Nirish guy
February 8th, 2014, 20:26
Yes welcome back Joe!
When are you, NIrish, RonanTheBarbarian, myself and any other volunteers gonna have our much anticipated sawatdee night out in Dublin?

Yes ! A nice relaxing few beers in the bar beside the parliament hotel perhaps and then on to the other usual spots - Right Joe come on, get yer going out shoes all spit and polished and lets be having ya ! :-)

MiniMee
February 8th, 2014, 21:01
Sad truth is nobody gives a shit.
Why is the no tobacco smoking law ignored by bar owners and the police?

I complained to a bar owner in Sunee about the ear shattering music outside his bar until 3am. He just shrugged
and said he goes home well before midnight. Translation: I don't give a shit.
Copa doesn't give a shit either but at least they enforce the no smoking law.
The only solution is the police and they don't give a .....

No one gives a shit in Shitsville?

No shit Sherlock!

egel
February 9th, 2014, 00:04
The soi , as a whole, clearly lost custom on Thursday

Too right it did. I walked into the Soi, heard the racket,and fucked off immediately.

Any explanation as to why the party wasn't inside Copa?

Yes. Money. Have it outside so that the dreaded shows can continue inside and rake in a few customers.

bucknaway
February 9th, 2014, 00:48
One day when we are old and gray, when we are wondering if we will see another day. We can look back on our life and remember the past. The parties we hated, the music that blared, the boys that wanted a baht more than we dared. We can take joy and remembering how we shook our fist at life, at others joy in the night.

Try to make the most of your life and enjoy these times....

I remember a scene from the Jerk. Steve Martin ordered escargot and became upset when the plate came to the table and he found snails on the plate. He was upset that such an expensive restaurant would allow snails to get onto their dinner plates! :D

If you are going to stay in a party-zone, try to enjoy the party.

[youtube:2z4fk2y5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m7Aeicon5Y[/youtube:2z4fk2y5]

joe552
February 9th, 2014, 02:21
NIrish - my stilettos are raring to go - name the day and I'll be there.

scottish-guy
February 9th, 2014, 05:52
....One day when we are old and gray..

Ah.... the memories

:((

Nirish guy
February 9th, 2014, 06:00
Rather than stray even farther off topic that this already is ( not my fault for once ) I've sent you a PM Joe.

dab69
February 9th, 2014, 07:04
Rather than stray even farther off topic that this already is ( not my fault for once ) I've sent you a PM Joe.

Go ahead, keep your plans secret. Don't invite us...

joe552
February 10th, 2014, 05:02
dab69, once the plans are set, you can be sure there'll be a general invitation to any members who happen to be in Dublin. my advice is - watch this space

newyorkgeorge
February 11th, 2014, 18:41
....or, more precisely Mr Glen as he is termed in the fliers, for inviting me to his street party last night. Well, to be strictly honest, I wasn't so much invited to his birthday celebrations as having them imposed upon me: until 0300.
It was not a big event; about forty revelers, I'd guess, and with the surrounding bars in Boyztown less busy than usual (heaven knows why) the soi was not crowded. But it made up for this with its sheer, deafening volume. My laptop bounced on my desk as that thumping bass (so over-amplified as to conceal tonal variation) made its impact. And to assist in my enjoyment, Mr Glen had thoughtfully placed his array of loudspeakers so that they faced my room head on.
Serves me right for complaining last year.
But no, I jest; Boyztown tourists don't count for much when one of Pattaya's aristocracy wishes to put on a vanity show- a celebration so important to the whole community that holding it inside the bar, with the doors closed , where the revelers could easily be accommodated, was out of the question. And of course, any thoughts that it could be held at home.... what would the neighbours say?
Accordingly, we were all expected to celebrate one of the biggest events of the year, Mr Glen's birthday, whether we liked it or not.
So, for the second year in succession, Mr Glen, on behalf of the hotel guests who wanted to sleep , those who wanted a drink in Panorama and the opportunity to talk with their friends, and the other bar-owners, thank you.

Well, what a miserable bastard you are Mr Oliver! I was also at the party as a guest of Mr Glen, and have been for the previous 4 years he has been having a street party, so the simple solution for you, is to stay away from Pattaya on his birthday, as far as i am aware, peoples birthdays fall on exactly the same date every year, so you knew what to expect! or alternatively, stay elsewhere in Pattaya, or better still, dont come at all! fortunately, you are one of a dying breed in Pattaya, an original dinosaur, i suppose next you will be ranting about how good it was in the old days, when Ian & Robbie had LCR, move on, or move over! Personally, i cant wait until next year, it was the best party i have ever been too! Thanks Mr Glen! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

newyorkgeorge
February 11th, 2014, 18:45

Blah! Blah! Blah! like anyone gives a shit!

pennyboy
February 11th, 2014, 18:47
And what a sad bitter old bastard you must be if that is the highlight of your sad year.

newyorkgeorge
February 11th, 2014, 18:50
And what a sad bitter old bastard you must be if that is the highlight of your sad year.

How would you know?

tony279760-old
February 12th, 2014, 18:09
[attachment=0:2mlkljiu]Ear-Plugs--Blank-_20090692058.jpg[/attachment:2mlkljiu]

I find these work a treat when dealing with noisy neighbours.

bruce_nyc
February 13th, 2014, 06:47
All the businesses on THAT soi depend on the party.... It is, after all, Gay Boyztown Party Central.

It's a bit like staying at the beach front villa year after year.... and complaining about the noise of the ocean waves.

I believe all the parties always have a pretty strict cut-off time, so hotel guests can eventually sleep in relative quiet. Meanwhile, if the party is keeping you awake, take it as a sign. Get your ass outta bed and join the party! Who knows..... You might actually meet someone and have a great time!

Next time stay in a nice quiet room at the Hilton Pattaya.

Oliver
February 13th, 2014, 15:21
You weren't there , were you.
The "party" consisted of a few falangs sitting at tables outside Copa. A buffet, largely patronised by young Thai employees, was outside BBB. Don't imagine that there was dancing, or party games. It was all very sedate. The problem was the noise created for these few party-goers (sic) by huge loudspeakers. ....until 0300.
If you had read my posts, you would have noted that the "party" drove away punters from the soi; other businesses suffered. So did hotels and their guests.
And still no explanation as to why the "party" couldn't beheld inside Copa.

egel
February 13th, 2014, 15:27

Because it was being used to make money.
Nothing, but nothing, must get in the way of making money in Thailand.

DragonMaster
February 13th, 2014, 15:32
Well Oliver, I was there. There were plenty of people running around the Soi, so where do you get your assertion that the "party" drove away punters and businesses suffered? What a load of crap!
Here's another news flash for you, nobody owes you an explanation or a justification for the "party". Since you moaned about the same thing last year, perhaps you should have expected something similar this year as others have pointed out. Get off your high horse and stop being so childish. Move on and let it go!

Oliver
February 13th, 2014, 17:25
The "plenty" of people numbered about twenty at about 0100. There may have been forty at 1200 but that included those at the buffet outside BBB.
Since circumstances require me to come to Pattaya in late January /early February, I have no intention of staying at home or changing my favoured hotel in order to accommodate the needs of a few falangs, for whom spending six hours next to massive loudspeakers (and in Dragonmaster's case) failing to notice what was going on (or not going on) in the soi represents a "highlight of the year" ....unless I can express my irritation at the gross insensitivity of the organisers on this forum. I am encouraged that I have hit a raw nerve. Admit it; it was a dismal failure. Next year year, move it inside.

Smiles
February 13th, 2014, 18:16
Oliver, you are a chronic whiner. Wingeing about 'Noisy Things' in Boyztown ~ every time you stay there ~ is like complaining about Jews crying at the wailing wall.
You should take rooms at a hotel which caters to boring-old-men ... but really, you don't even have to go that far: most rooms you'll find at Jomtien Complex ~ for instance ~ will leave you relatively peaceful at beddy time and still keep you only a hop skip and jump away from talking with friends over cappucinos. And Thai guys are offable as well, late at night.
You want to hunker down in Party Town (why I don't know), but ban the frivolity. Good luck.
My friend, you are a Puritan at heart, as all quasi-Stalinists are. For some reason, folks having fun piss you off **. (At least you are a 'quasi' ... the true Stalinists would have everyone up against a wall).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
** Puritanism: "The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be having fun" (H.L. Mencken)

catawampuscat
February 14th, 2014, 00:17
I usually agree with smiles but after many nights in yensaibai condo, lying in bed and unable to sleep due to my
windows vibrating from the massive loudspeakers, I agree with Oliver 100%.
Yensaibai is a tall condo with hundreds of apartments. At least once a month and sometimes more, someone has
a birthday in a Sunee Plaza bar or restaurant, and the live band prevents hundreds from getting any peace and quiet.
I wouldn't consider staying at yensaibai condo again but why should hundreds of people be subject to ear shattering
noise. Why should Oliver have to put up with blasting music because some jerk has a birthday?
I wouldn't blame Oliver for dumping water on the amps and speakers. Easy to call someone names until you
are subject to hellish loud noise until 3am. Sorry, Oliver, they don't get it and prefer to blame the messenger rather then the inconsiderate jerks who don't give shit.

bucknaway
February 14th, 2014, 06:15
I guess there is always a reason to be Grumpy.

[youtube:1s2vaiam]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0I1FaegV0[/youtube:1s2vaiam]

February 14th, 2014, 12:49
Because it was being used to make money.
Nothing, but nothing, must get in the way of making money in Thailand.And that's a core Buddhist value, right!

newyorkgeorge
February 14th, 2014, 16:42
You weren't there , were you.
The "party" consisted of a few falangs sitting at tables outside Copa. A buffet, largely patronised by young Thai employees, was outside BBB. Don't imagine that there was dancing, or party games. It was all very sedate. The problem was the noise created for these few party-goers (sic) by huge loudspeakers. ....until 0300.
If you had read my posts, you would have noted that the "party" drove away punters from the soi; other businesses suffered. So did hotels and their guests.

Instead of bitching on here, why not go an confront the owner of the Copa, and express your views directly to him, and see what his response is? at least that way you will get a good nights sleep in the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital!

DragonMaster
February 14th, 2014, 17:37
The "plenty" of people numbered about twenty at about 0100. There may have been forty at 1200 but that included those at the buffet outside BBB.
Since circumstances require me to come to Pattaya in late January /early February, I have no intention of staying at home or changing my favoured hotel in order to accommodate the needs of a few falangs, for whom spending six hours next to massive loudspeakers (and in Dragonmaster's case) failing to notice what was going on (or not going on) in the soi represents a "highlight of the year" ....unless I can express my irritation at the gross insensitivity of the organisers on this forum. I am encouraged that I have hit a raw nerve. Admit it; it was a dismal failure. Next year year, move it inside.

Well if you have no intention of changing either your arrival or your hotel, I guess we can look forward to you whining again next year about the same thing.
I hardly think the party was a dismal failure except in your fantasies. In case you didn't notice, the number of people milling around in general has decreased this year partly due to the political situation in Bangkok, but I'm sure that didn't cross your mind either, just the booming volume of those loudspeakers you can't get over. The needs of the few farangs certainly outweigh the needs of one in this case. :ymparty:

RonanTheBarbarian
February 15th, 2014, 05:25
dab69, once the plans are set, you can be sure there'll be a general invitation to any members who happen to be in Dublin. my advice is - watch this space

I am sending my best frock out to be dry-cleaned as we speak :ymparty:

Up2U
February 15th, 2014, 07:56
I usually agree with smiles but after many nights in yensaibai condo, lying in bed and unable to sleep due to my
windows vibrating from the massive loudspeakers, I agree with Oliver 100%.
Yensaibai is a tall condo with hundreds of apartments. At least once a month and sometimes more, someone has
a birthday in a Sunee Plaza bar or restaurant, and the live band prevents hundreds from getting any peace and quiet.
I wouldn't consider staying at yensaibai condo again but why should hundreds of people be subject to ear shattering
noise. Why should Oliver have to put up with blasting music because some jerk has a birthday?
I wouldn't blame Oliver for dumping water on the amps and speakers. Easy to call someone names until you
are subject to hellish loud noise until 3am. Sorry, Oliver, they don't get it and prefer to blame the messenger rather then the inconsiderate jerks who don't give shit.

You should have stayed on the quiet side of the building which is the pool side. I have stayed there and I have friends who are permanent residents and enjoy this recently remodeled condominium.

catawampuscat
February 15th, 2014, 10:52
I also have friends on the quiet side of the condo, which avoids the late night pounding sounds. I didn't know the problem
until after I took the room.
The lack of empathy here is surprising.

Up2U
February 15th, 2014, 12:29
I also have friends on the quiet side of the condo, which avoids the late night pounding sounds. I didn't know the problem
until after I took the room.
The lack of empathy here is surprising.

Ok, I empathize with you, you made an unfortunate mistake but your case is different than the OP. Something tells me you will not repeat your mistake for the next 17 years. BT was always noisy so I stayed elsewhere.

blazer
February 15th, 2014, 13:53
Yes, I would be incensed if that happened to me, too.

But just think about the people who had unknowingly reserved on agoda or expedia and had no idea what area they would be staying.

What a shock!

Bobett
February 16th, 2014, 14:10
Hey Iv said befor Pattaya = Party City. If you want quiet go stay in Hoa Hin or somewere or the old folks home would be a good option. Why come on holiday at all if your going to sit in your room and be pissed off about all the fun going on around you. You dont have to go to bed at midnight. I never go to bed befor 4am its quiet enough then. Im not on holiday I live here and Im old as well. If you stay in Pattaya ajust to the lifestyle or be a winging old git up to you. :ymparty:

scottish-guy
February 16th, 2014, 20:29
Being a "whinging old git" does seem to be the option favoured by some.

Now if it were me, sure I┬┤d be pissed off if I couldn┬┤t sleep because of street-party noise - but I would take steps to make sure it didn┬┤t affect me again i.e. I simply wouldn┬┤t stay there again.

I appreciate that Oliver thinks that since he┬┤s not the one generating the nuisance, why should he modify his plans - but it┬┤s clear the management of his chosen hotel either have no influence on their fellow entertainment venue operators or just don┬┤t take Oliver┬┤s complaints seriously.

Either way, put yourself out of your misery Oliver and just stay elsewhere - life is too short to spend it grandstanding.

As for talk of "dumping water on the speakers"..........utterly bizarre.

Brad the Impala
February 17th, 2014, 01:28
What a miserly cantankerous thread, whose central complainer is so utterly devoid of the joy of life, or anyone's life except his!

I refrained from commenting earlier as I feared my comments might extend a thread with such a curmudgeonly view of life. However the OP has even found sympathisers for his viewpoint!!

There is one, albeit elementary, epithet appropriate for such circumstances which is "GET A FUCKING LIFE!"

The ability of Thais to PARTY, in all circumstances, is one of the most joyous features of the country, and their ability to accommodate and encourage others to do the same is LEGENDARY in my estimation. The ability of some bald fat old cunts on an annual holiday(thanks Colonel) to resist the same, and even complain about it(year after year) makes them legendary cunts IMHO!

Bobett
February 17th, 2014, 13:33
I agree with you 100% Brad :)

newyorkgeorge
February 22nd, 2014, 21:54
What a miserly cantankerous thread, whose central complainer is so utterly devoid of the joy of life, or anyone's life except his!

I refrained from commenting earlier as I feared my comments might extend a thread with such a curmudgeonly view of life. However the OP has even found sympathisers for his viewpoint!!

There is one, albeit elementary, epithet appropriate for such circumstances which is "GET A FUCKING LIFE!"

The ability of Thais to PARTY, in all circumstances, is one of the most joyous features of the country, and their ability to accommodate and encourage others to do the same is LEGENDARY in my estimation. The ability of some bald fat old cunts on an annual holiday(thanks Colonel) to resist the same, and even complain about it(year after year) makes them legendary cunts IMHO!

Sanity at last, well said Brad!