PDA

View Full Version : RIP Baht Stop ...

Smiles
February 6th, 2014, 14:13
http://www.baht-stop.com/forums/index.p ... opic=16012 (http://www.baht-stop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16012)

Unlike jinks' demise (and sorry for swiping part of your topic line old boy ... but I know you'd understand) we can think only of this news as clearing-the-air.
I will miss the unacknowledged irony always floating around the brains of the boys there, but that's about all.

Full Disclosure: I am extremely biased and not objective at all, in my thoughts regarding Baht Stop, and I do not presume that many will agree with my feelings.
But c'est la vie, sometimes one simply cannot help themselves.

catawampuscat
February 7th, 2014, 00:24
With so many gaythailand forums existing today, one less with not make much difference.
It ran its course and is going gently into hyperspace . Perhaps , it's demise will give
gaylifeinthailand.com a shot at attracting some posters.
It certainly could use a shot unless comatose is the intended
state. Gaytingtong.com is also moribund and probably beyond resuscitation .

Narakmak
February 7th, 2014, 01:10
This is great news.
It was a comfortable haven for rabid gay antisemites.
They cloaked their bigotry with criticism of Israel, but they didn't cloak it very well.

Surfcrest
February 7th, 2014, 01:34
There have been some good posts over the years, some enjoyable reading.

Some of the baht stop membership evolved from the membership that left Sawatdee in 2006 and so I hope some of these members migrate back to Sawatdee with the closure of that site.

Provided our Posting Rules & Guidelines are respected, all will be welcome.

Surfcrest

February 7th, 2014, 09:53
I read that link thanks Smiles and I think its great they have someone over there call Root Admin. Is this a new term for mamasan? And I see my old mate kunt12 posted there too. Who is Hedda?

Oliver
February 7th, 2014, 10:21
Baht-Stop was different in that it dealt with politics and issues that were not discussed elsewhere. It also had some highly intelligent posters who, as far as I am aware, do not post elsewhere.
It is a loss.

lego
February 7th, 2014, 22:35
Baht-Stop was different in that it dealt with politics and issues that were not discussed elsewhere.
Well, of course politics are discussed elsewhere, but it's somewhat odd/unusual on a gay forum.

scottish-guy
February 8th, 2014, 02:48
Lego, there's more to being gay than making a souffl├й whilst listening to Judy Garland.

February 8th, 2014, 03:57
Baht-Stop was different in that it dealt with politics and issues that were not discussed elsewhere.Well, of course politics are discussed elsewhere, but it's somewhat odd/unusual on a gay forum.So gay marriage isn't about politics? When did you leave school? Grade 5?

lego
February 8th, 2014, 13:00
That was merely an observation. The political threads on gay forums aren't the most popular ones, and they usually have few participants, compared to the recurring "How much to tip?" threads. Add to this that those who do participate often have extremist views, like to stir up shite or see the need to get personal. Even for gays interested in politics, there are better venues for political discussions.

Nirish guy
February 8th, 2014, 15:02
Lego, there's more to being gay than making a souffl├й whilst listening to Judy Garland.

Says WHO !! :-)

scottish-guy
February 8th, 2014, 15:50
[quote="scottish-guy":2zuj9qhn]Lego, there's more to being gay than making a souffl├й whilst listening to Judy Garland.

Says WHO !! :-)[/quote:2zuj9qhn]

Ethel Merman fans, like me!!

Smiles
February 9th, 2014, 08:58
So Baht Stop has now been taken off-line with it's birth and death dates (August 25, 2006 - February 9, 2014) all you can see now. I guess an RIP designation was warranted after all.

The one thing I'd like to know though (unfortunately we can never know now) is this: Did the morose mauRICE, upon hearing of The BS Demise and having a day or so grace, rush like a scared bunny to delete his voluminous posting history. He did that 3 or 4 times on both Pattayagay and Sawatdee over the years.
It's a Stalinist thing, erasing history.

marti
February 10th, 2014, 07:11
Baht-Stop was different in that it dealt with politics and issues that were not discussed elsewhere. It also had some highly intelligent posters who, as far as I am aware, do not post elsewhere.
It is a loss.
Oliver, you are correct. It was the only forum which consistently had posts that intelligently approached politics. Not only about Thai politics but also US and other countries.

There were a few posting things that were not Jew friendly but that only reflected the feelings of those who wont say these things publicly but feel them.

Smiles
February 10th, 2014, 10:23
It is a loss.
Oliver, you are correct. (That's highly debatable, seeing as how Oliver has rarely ever 'been correct' except in his own mind).

It was the only forum which consistently had posts that intelligently (equally debatable) approached politics. Not only about Thai politics but also US and other countries.

There were a few posting things that were not Jew friendly (Gee ... ya think? Baht Stop was under-pinned by a vicious streak of blatant and perpetual anti-semitism) but that only reflected the feelings of those who wont say these things publicly but feel them.

Narakmak
February 10th, 2014, 11:09
Yes, the demise of a "gay" board that openly welcomed clearly anti-semitic posts and posters is something to be celebrated. You can call that love of free speech. I call it toleration of hate speech. Gay people, still an oppressed minority in large parts of the world, should know better. Yes of course many gay people are racist, antisemitic, misogynist, etc. but a "gay" board that becomes BRANDED with that kind of hate is bad news, and baht stop was branded as the anti-Jew "gay" board. So good riddance for bad rubbish!