PDA

View Full Version : Thai boys voting

Bobett
February 4th, 2014, 15:50
Anyone know any bar boy who got their arse out of bed and went and voted in this or any election? All the years Iv been here of the hundreds I have known not one has shown the slightest intrest in politics.
This is not just the boys Iv paid for sex. Even Thais I class as friends(thats ones I dont pay) dont bother voting. :-?

anonone
February 4th, 2014, 17:05
Can the boys even vote someplace outside of their home town / village? I don't think many of them would take the trek home to vote...little more effort then just getting their arse out of bed.

Nirish guy
February 4th, 2014, 17:22
Actually I find the opposite that half the thai guys I know have very strong views on who they support politically and are quite vocal on Facebook etc about posting "please support X in the election" - albeit perhaps their understanding of why they are supporting their chosen candidate may well boil down to "he good for Thailand, he help many farmer" without considering at what cost etc - but I guess that's not a unique or specifically individually held view point in Thailand these days, but of course whilst they may support one particular party their undying unwavering love for the King overrides all else still - no matter what.

cdnmatt
February 4th, 2014, 18:19
I'm 32, and I have yet to vote a single time.

As far as I'm concerned, politicans are some of the most corrupt, greedy, sociopathic, morally-inept people within our societies (irregardless of country), so fuck them all. I'm sorry, but you don't become a politican on the federal level unless you're corrupt, or at the very least, willing to become corrupt.

To me, some politician standing on the street during election time trying to drum up votes, is about the equivalent of an old grandma wandering around house-to-house telling me I really need to read the bible and join the church. I just simply don't give a shit.

lego
February 4th, 2014, 19:35
I don't know about bar boys, but among my Thai friends, some voted and some didn't. It's basically always like that, but this time the participation was certainly lower, especially among the "real" Bangkokians (see below for why it makes a difference). And there were also special cases like wanting to vote, but finding the polling station shut.

Many of them live here in Bangkok, but they're still registered in their family households elsewhere in Thailand. So in order to vote, they'd either have to go back to their hometown on Election Day or make prior arrangements to be able to vote elsewhere instead. Both is possible, but makes it SO much more unlikely that someone not too much interested in all that actually goes through the motions. Those who are interested in politics, on the other hand, know the drill.

cdnmatt, I usually vote, but I cannot say that I disagree with your characterization of politicians worldwide. It's a dilemma, go vote and vote some assholes in (for lack of any real alternative), or don't go vote and let others vote in even bigger assholes. ;)

February 5th, 2014, 09:05
I'm 32, and I have yet to vote a single time.

As far as I'm concerned, politicans are some of the most corrupt, greedy, sociopathic, morally-inept people within our societies (irregardless of country), so fuck them all. I'm sorry, but you don't become a politican on the federal level unless you're corrupt, or at the very least, willing to become corrupt.

To me, some politician standing on the street during election time trying to drum up votes, is about the equivalent of an old grandma wandering around house-to-house telling me I really need to read the bible and join the church. I just simply don't give a shit.And these are the people who, without a care, you allow to make the rules that regulate your life? 32? Yes, just as I thought - young, dumb and full of crap.