PDA

View Full Version : Hua Hin accommodation near gay bars.

gintonic
January 30th, 2014, 18:36
Hi
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced guest house / hotel near the gay bars of Hua Hin.
I am currently in Chiang Mai, 3 months into my 6 month stay in Thailand.

Will be leaving Pattaya on 12th March to travel to Hua Hin - any suggestions as to the best way to get there?
I believe that I have read over the years that Smiles other half runs a transport service. Is he still operating this service?

Is there still a Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry service?

Looking forward to your replies.
Cheers.
Ps. Met jinks a few years ago in a hotel in Jomtien. RIP jinks.

Smiles
January 31st, 2014, 06:44
" ... Hi, Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced guest house / hotel near the gay bars of Hua Hin.
I am currently in Chiang Mai, 3 months into my 6 month stay in Thailand.
Will be leaving Pattaya on 12th March to travel to Hua Hin - any suggestions as to the best way to get there?
I believe that I have read over the years that Smiles other half runs a transport service. Is he still operating this service?
Is there still a Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry service? ... "
Hi Gin&Tonic,
Not sure if you've read this thread ( post283603.html?hilit=hua%20hin#p283603 (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/post283603.html?hilit=hua%20hin#p283603) ) but it was written last November and the info in it regarding HH's gay bars is still current. Still only two gay bars here ... but one never knows: they pop up frequently, have a go at survival, and melt away nearly as frequently.
Having said that, at least one (New Guy Bar) seems to have found a niche and can be very popular at times. Relaxing ambiance, pool table, mood lighting(!), massage services on the second floor. The number of Thai guys there fluctuates: can be well-populated, can be not so much ... a moveable feast.
The other bar (Red Indian) is smaller and more intimate and somewhat run down, and it's hit or miss whether it is busy on any given night.
Take a look at ( http://www.huahingayguide.com/ ) for more detailed information.

The Peony Hotel ( http://www.peonyhotelhuahin.com/ ) is a good choice in terms of short walks to both bars (about 1 minute to Guy Bar and 5 minutes to Red Indian). Swimming pool, fairly quiet and close to everything in Hua Hin, including the beach. There are no so-called 'gay' hotels in town, but none that I know of really cares one way or another whether you bring a Thai guy back with you. Not a problem.

The Other Half (some would say 'Better') certainly does still have his taxi/tour business as a going concern. He'll pick you up in Pattaya if you wish, but it would be expensive, as he'd have to drive all the way to Pattaya first. About 4000 baht. Having said that, he'd be glad to come get you!
The best option as far as lower cost is concerned is to take the Airport bus from Jomtien to Suvarnaphumi Airport, then the VIP bus to Hua Hin from there. The bus change is often quite quick. The Roong Reung Coach Co. buses on both routes are excellent and very very comfortable: the best buses in Thailand in my opinion. About 450 baht. ( http://www.airporthuahinbus.com/ ) and ( http://www.airportpattayabus.com/ )
The regular taxi option is of course always open, but it's the most expensive, in the neighbourhood of 4500-5000 baht.
There is the mini-bus option. Not expensive but in my opinion it is (1) not that convenient as you'd have to go into Bangkok (or the airport) to switch over to the HH mini, and (2) in my opinion again, it's dangerous. The mini-bus industry in Thailand runs a notoriously accident-prone business and I wouldn't step in one for all the tea in China.
However, once you are in Hua Hin Suphot would be most happy to guide you around HH and environs to spots you may not get to with the regular tour guides. Up to you.

The last Pattaya/Hua Hin ferry stopped operating about 2 years go. It's been tried numerous times over the years, but no one seems to be able to make a go of it.

Hope this helps...

gintonic
January 31st, 2014, 18:39
Thank you Smiles for your very informative post.

I am in touch with The Peony Hotel and by what I read it will be suitable for our needs.

Also have to agree that probably my best option of travel to HH from Pattaya would be by bus as I do not want to eat into my gin & tonic allowance by taking a taxi.
On saying that, I may well like to use Khun Suphots knowledge regarding the area of HH. So, how do I contact him?

Again, thank you.

Smiles
February 1st, 2014, 04:27
You can either contact me through the PM feature on this board, or directly to his business email address: suphot.tours@gmail.com
Trust me, PMing me is the faster route as he is no fan of hi-tec stuff like emailing!! 8-|

gintonic
February 1st, 2014, 17:42
You can either contact me through the PM feature on this board, or directly to his business email address: suphot.tours@gmail.com
Trust me, PMing me is the faster route as he is no fan of hi-tec stuff like emailing!! 8-|
Trouble is I haven't been a member long enough to being able to use the PM facility Smiles.
Looks like its going to be an email to khun Suphot, unless of course I deliver some scintillating posts over the next week or two. How many do I need?
Cheers.

Smiles
February 2nd, 2014, 06:45
No problem.
I'm his secretary anyway and am the go-to guy when it comes to answering his emails.
Pot speaks very good english, but his writing skills are not nearly as advanced, so it's a Big Deal when he tries starting an email reply and 2 hours later has got a decent sentence written. So, I do it for him: solves a big headache.
Any reply you get will be me writing, but be assured that it's him instructing what to say.

gintonic
February 2nd, 2014, 08:00
No problem.
I'm his secretary anyway and am the go-to guy when it comes to answering his emails.
Pot speaks very good english, but his writing skills are not nearly as advanced, so it's a Big Deal when he tries starting an email reply and 2 hours later has got a decent sentence written. So, I do it for him: solves a big headache.
Any reply you get will be me writing, but be assured that it's him instructing what to say.

Thank you.

basabajo
March 10th, 2014, 19:24
Just back from a short trip to Hua Hin. Only found two gay bars - Red Indian: bit hard to find down a narrow alley way, pleasant manager who seems to love Rod Stewart music videos, but zero customers except me (but it was only 8 or 9pm); and New Guy Bar, 5-minute walk from Red Indian, larger space, maybe 3 or 4 Thai guys/boys around and either the farang owner (or maybe he was the second customer after me). None of the boys seemed friendly, except one of the older ones who wanted to sell massage; the mosquitos were however very friendly! I looked for Chico bar (other side of railway tracks) but no success - suspect it's closed. I didn't go to Hua Hin for the gay scene, which is just as well, as there's hardly any.

thaiguest
March 11th, 2014, 01:56
Your question should be about possible gay bars near your accomodation.

All this bulls-it about gay scenes in Hua Hin, Udon, Nong Khai and other such far flung locations is simply that-"bulls-it".

There's more gay bars in 100 yards of Sunnee or Soi Twilight than all the other places put together-and I include Cambodia and Laos in that.

Smiles
March 14th, 2014, 05:06
Basabajo, just FYI ... Chico Bar has been closed for nearly a year now. Too bad, I always enjoyed it there. It was located a bit off the beaten track and a bit hard to find.
The owner was a very friendly young Thai guy who tried hard to get the bar into success mode. Hua Hin is not an easy place to do well in the gay bar business.

March 14th, 2014, 07:36
There's more gay bars in 100 yards of Sunnee or Soi Twilight than all the other places put together-and I include Cambodia and Laos in that.Absolutely agree - if you must go outside the ex-pat Golden Triangle it's BYOB (Bring Your Own Boy).