PDA

View Full Version : Coming to BKK this weekend

Blueskytoday
January 30th, 2014, 13:26
Unfortunately, I arrive in BKK Saturday afternoon, Staying until Tuesday, visa run from Seoul.
Election is Sunday...Latest news is opposition forces will shut down BKK.
I had planned taking the skytrain to MoChit weekend market but possibly it will be shut down also??
I may have to just stay in upper Silom Road near the hotel,,,,but hopefully Silom 6 area and Soi
Twilight will be unaffected...oh well,,,will make the best of my short stay.

Patanawet
January 31st, 2014, 10:48
.Latest news is opposition forces will shut down BKK.
I had planned taking the skytrain to MoChit weekend market but possibly it will be shut down also??

Bluesky, don't believe everything you read!
I would bet 100% that Bangkok will not be 'shut down' any more than it has been shut down in the past couple of months.
I would also bet that the Skytrain and subway will be working as normal (about 06:30 'till midnight).
If the election goes ahead then the usual election alcohol restrictions will apply. That is, no alcohol in bars. Hotels and Pattaya beach will still sell alcohol as usual.
The bars in Bangkok will be open (if they choose to) but only for soft drinks, however I'm sure that you will be able to get a discrete tipple in many bars (paper cups etc). Stay around the Silom area.
I don't know if gogo will be permitted as this is not a religious holiday or a royal birthday.

But who knows ----- the whole thing might not happen at all!
Pata(pompous and boring)nawet.

egel
February 1st, 2014, 02:55
Just been to BKK for a few days and it is like a carnival atmosphere.
Silom is a pedestrian only road full of food carts and market stalls.
Wish it could stay that way permantly!
Enjoy!

corky
February 1st, 2014, 12:18
This morning I received the monthly news letter from The Balcony in Silom Soi 4, that says:

"As we enter the Year of the Horse things at The Balcony are going well and we thank you all for your continuing support and regular visits.

You will have seen that the Northern end of Silom Road is currently a street market and that the political protests are having their effect on tourist numbers but we have to tell you that in spite of everything we are still very busy every night and the atmosphere in Soi 4 is as happy as itтАЩs ever been. There have been no incidents in the area to disrupt your nightтАЩs entertainment and we hope that you will continue to visit us.

When you come to Silom, please note that the Skytrain and underground MRT are running normally; taxis can get through to the Silom/Convent junction although this can be a bit slow at times and other forms of transport (motorcycles and tuk tuks) are in abundance at the Convent junction."

Manforallseasons
February 1st, 2014, 18:42
From today's news reports a Kevlar vest might be appropriate!

lego
February 1st, 2014, 19:07
From today's news reports a Kevlar vest might be appropriate!
In Laksi, that is.