PDA

View Full Version : RIP jinks

nak muay
January 30th, 2014, 06:08
Hi guys and others :)

http://66.199.190.19/~sgt/forum/download/file.php?avatar=89_1332852949.jpg

Right i am posting here out of respect for my uncle whom many of you will know well i believe. If this would be better placed in another section please do me the honour of moving this as i would like it to gain as much exposure for my uncle as possible.

At 15:15 today a man many of you know and hopefully love passed on from this world. His name was john jeffries one of the smartest blokes i have ever met and im sure equal for many of the BMs here.

To give more details he has been fighting lung Cancer for the last 18 months and through much pain and suffering has now passed to a better place. He was suffering on oxygen for the last 12months after a junior doctor gave him emphysema (and nearly killed him) by puncturing his lung taking a sample of a malignant lump in his wind pipe.

He has suffered horribly for the past 6 months even with many many forms of medication for pain, lukemia, and various other ailments including carrying oxygen and maintaining his work as a taxi driver throught this hard time right up untill a month ago(for anyone who understands what a burden being on oxygen is for someone to work like he did is just astounding and proof of what heart he had).

He was always in good company and had the support of many of his old friends from the gay community and Nightingale pub and his family and any of you here that may have been involved i thank you massively.

He did not suffer when he passed and was in no pain and was with his brother just 15mins before. And i can only thank you wonderful nurses and doctors of st marys hospice for their efforts and sterling care they offered and gave my uncle the most dignified and

I myself am a visitor to pattaya (soi 6(girl bars 555)) and understand just how close a community like this is (im an addict) so if anyone from the community in england would like to attend his funeral any and all friends of john would be more than welcome to attend. It will be in Birmingham but when i will not be able to tell you yet as his passing only happened earlier today.

I understand what a forum is like(not everyone in a community sees eye to eye 100% of the time) but i will ask please be respectful in this thread.

I would also ask if there are any other forums john has an active role in i would appreciate you to let his friends know there of his passing and extend the same invitation for his funeral. He was also a widows son but i would not know how to contact this group of people but im hopeful someone here will be able to help me in this regard.

please contact me on ecigpp@gmail.com if you would like to attend the funeral so i can keep people info in one place. i will try to place the info here in this thread but its not easy keeping track of things at a time like this.

RIP uncle John you will be missed like hell, and i hope your smiling on us all right now.

witchhunt
January 30th, 2014, 10:33
The entire message has been cut and pasted from gaybutton and printed here . It makes me feel very sad to see how some people have behaved the last 6 months.

Postby Gaybutton ┬╗ Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:47 am

This morning I was shocked and quite upset by a post on the Gay Thailand forum about the death of jinks. I hope it will turn out to be someone's idea of a sick hoax, but the post does seem believable to me. I knew jinks has been ill, but I didn't know it was a life threatening illness. If it is true, I'd like to say jinks was a true and highly valued friend and I will miss him very much.

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/9449-rip-jinks

peeseua
January 30th, 2014, 11:26
I'm so sorry to hear this. I never met Jinks but I know from Penang friends who knew him that he was a friendly guy, an impression that I also got from his posts on this board.

My condolences to his family.

Smiles
January 30th, 2014, 12:01
The copied message in the OP sounds unfortunately very real.

Jinks and I shared the moderation of this board after Elephantspike took it over . . . I for about a year, and jinks carried on together with ES.
Jinks and I shared drinks numerous times on the Venue (then Bondi) patio in Jomtien and laughed a lot at the Sawatdee Shenanigans which were never ending and always good for a hoot.
We had differing ideas about moderating, but jinks was a stubborn cuss and never caved ... though often I wished he had of.
But beyond that, neither of us took it personally and could always get together in good company.

Doesn't surprise me, the cancer that is. Jinks was a life long smoker, and encouraged his taxi customers to light up and suck in the smoke heartily in the car.
I'd be happy as a lark to hear this news is not correct, but it rings sadly true.

nak muay
January 30th, 2014, 14:55
i made that post i have also made it here but it is yet to be approved.

it is no hoax, the copius amount of details should tell anyone who knew him that it is a genuine post.

nak muay
January 30th, 2014, 15:05
thank you to whichever mod approved this i haev been in deispair trying to make this post on this forum knowing this is where my uncle posted.

thanks nak muay

scottish-guy
January 30th, 2014, 15:37
Certainly, some of us have suspected/known for a few months that there was something seriously wrong with jinks - and he hinted as much in a couple of his own posts.

I never met jinks formally but I observed him in fine fettle a couple of times at his favourite haunt in Jomtien.

Board-wise I never had any issues or argument with the guy in 7 or 8 years - he seemed to me to be one of the good guys.

So, assuming the tragic news is accurate RIP jinks (with a small "j") :p

Surfcrest
January 30th, 2014, 16:30
Members,

It is with great sadness that I confirm the passing of our dearest friend and moderator, a tireless volunteer for Sawatdee for many years John Jeffries (jinks). I have heard from the family and I can confirm that nak muay's announcement comes from the family.

John, or jinks was always very particular not to let anyone know outside his very close circle of friends how ill he has been this past year, a very difficult illness to battle. There have been some very difficult times for jinks, especially as of late and yet he has been here looking after the Board for us as he has for a very, very long time.

I've learned a great deal about life since jinks and I teamed up together here at Sawatdee, through the cryptic PM's he'd send me telling how to do different things with the controls...to the direction the Board has taken these past eight months...and of course longer.

I'll always be thinking about jinks when I'm logged in here, thinking about what he might do...and hopefully he'll continue looking over my shoulder from time to time.

Love you John!

[attachment=3:10w6m20l]cake3.jpg[/attachment:10w6m20l]

[attachment=2:10w6m20l]jinksPGTV1.jpg[/attachment:10w6m20l]

[attachment=1:10w6m20l]jinksPGTV2.jpg[/attachment:10w6m20l]

[attachment=0:10w6m20l]PattayaGTV3.jpg[/attachment:10w6m20l]

http://www.jinkscorp.com/hols/

Surfcrest

giggsy
January 30th, 2014, 21:16
A sad day. I know he will be sadly missed by everyone on the boards especially this one. I always thought of jinks as our fairy godfather sorting out everyone's problems as well as keeping the board going, sometimes on his own. I thought he had a prepared announcement waiting to be placed here upon his demise? I'm sure he mentioned it a couple of times in the last year. RIP jinks I'm sure we will be talking about you for years to come.

francois
January 30th, 2014, 22:29
Bon Voyage Jinks. You always treated me fair and square on this forum. Fran├зois

ikarus
January 31st, 2014, 01:01
If there has been ever a fair Moderator on Gay Thailand message boards, it was jinks.
RIP

Nirish guy
January 31st, 2014, 01:26
jinks faced his personal battle with great courage and dignity and was never heard to complain or appeal for sympathy or special treatment on any board and for that he has my huge respect. He will be sadly missed on the board and by the many people who knew him in the other spheres of his life I'm sure. R.I.P. jinks.

colmx
January 31st, 2014, 01:45
I never met jinks in person, our itineraries always seemed to almost overlap... but never actually overlapped fully

I did however meet many people over the years who loved jinks and were counting down the days until he returned to Thailand
David In Pattaya in particular used to get very excited about jinks return... not sure if the excitement was about jinks arrival - or the "red cross" package of food that jinks used to bring David from the UK

I am sure that jinks, Boxer, David in Pattaya, GP Allen and all our other dearly departed board members (maybe even the colonel!) are looking down upon us now and laughing about all the petty board squabbles over the years!

RIP jinks

colmx
January 31st, 2014, 01:57
by the way does anyone have a link to the Pattaya Gay TV interview with jinks?
The PGTV site is gone now... but i would imagine their episodes are still on yourtube somewhere...

Surfcrest
January 31st, 2014, 02:54
http://pattayagaytv.blogspot.ca/

This site does not appear active in awhile, but the facebook site is.

Surfcrest

bing
January 31st, 2014, 03:30
I am also one who never met Jinks in person but when I was new to Sawatdee and was having a fit about transferring my avatar to this forum, he was patient, to the extent of emailing two different times till I got it right. If he would do that for me, just a name to him, I am sure he would have been in my book, Good People.

RonanTheBarbarian
January 31st, 2014, 04:23
Although I knew he was ill, I was shocked to hear the news when i logged in today.
I always thought he was a good moderator overall (it is one of those jobs where you can never please all of the people), and was a fount of knowledge for many over the years.

What I will particularly remember about him is the assistance he gave me one time, when i won a bottle of Regency brandy in an online competition for a bar. It was in a period when i knew I would not be in Thailand for a long time, so i decided to donate it to charity. jinks was going over and collected it from the bar for me, and donated it to a charitable cause on my behalf. I hoped to meet him in person one day to thank him for this, but i never got a chance.
I am happy that this thread gives me the opportunity to acknowledge the help he gave me then.

jinks joins many in the past (colmx has already mentioned many of them) who have departed from the boards.
In the website jinks maintained (if you go on his SGT member page there is a link to it) he had many photos of his travels in Thailand, and he actually had an "In Memorium" page where he had pictures of departed board members who were friends of his (like Boxer and Wowpow).

I think it would be a nice thing if could be arranged for the Thailand portion of his site (which even included some good stories which jinks had salvaged from Boards past, going back to the Pattayagay site) could be maintained on this website.

RIP jinks

nak muay
January 31st, 2014, 05:06
i cant say much more than thank you all for all the kind words its extremely overwhelming to read (in the best possible way) and it means a lot to me and will mean a lot to the family when i show them this thread so please if you have any photos or videos post them for us it is a real act of kindness and shows what forums like this (and others) have done to bring so many people together.

again thank you all

colmx
January 31st, 2014, 05:15
Very sorry for your loss nak muay.
I have been trying to dig up the interview of jinks on gaypattaya TV but having no luck

I presume that you have seen this article?
http://gaybirminghamremembered.co.uk/interview/77/
Seems jinks was a real mover and shaker on the Gay Birmingham scene in his prime

Michael
January 31st, 2014, 06:01
I'm sad to hear of the demise of a HUGE character of this forum known here as John / jinks.
jinks (always a small 'j'). John was a friend to me, and I suspect a friend of MANY more members here. A friend, sadly, I never met: ...a friend when I first joined a predecessor of this forum and I his needed help. ...a kind friend when I needed help from someone in Birmingham. John went out of his way to help me.

scottish-guy
January 31st, 2014, 06:16
Interesting avatar Michael, should we call you Miss Portillo from now on?

:p

bucknaway
January 31st, 2014, 07:29
It won't be hard for me to remember Jinks fondly. I never met him but I have known him since I first began posting on message boards. I am sorry to say I took him for granted. He will be missed. Missed and well remembered.

And although I never said it; I appreciated the hard work he did while the rest of us played, laughed and fought while he tirelessly moderated.

Rest Jinks..... But I think if there is work to be done in the afterlife, I am sure you will volunteer.

adman5000
January 31st, 2014, 09:53
I am very sorry to hear about Jinks.

Moderating is a thankless job. So to moderate this board and be regarded as fair-handed is quite a compliment.

RIP Jinks. B-)

elephantspike
January 31st, 2014, 11:58
I'm stunned. I knew this was coming but you can never really be prepared for it. Letting it sink in. Godbye, John.

blazer
January 31st, 2014, 12:35
I met jinks on one of his last trips to Thailand if not his last. He was sitting in the Venue waiting for the show to start. It was unmistakably him from the photos that had been posted on the forum. I walked up and introduced myself, and we chatted for the next few hours. We talked about hotel accommodations, the forums, and his recent trip to Las Vegas.

He had just resigned as long time moderator of this board under the previous ownership. Most members knew the board was being being run like a dictatorship at that time.

He resigned as moderator rather than compromising his integrity. But never did he express any bitterness or ill will.

It was great to see him back in action as moderator under the current administration.

I am glad to have met him, and it seems like I have known him longer than I actually have. A real gentleman. RIP, jinks.

cdnmatt
January 31st, 2014, 14:12
RIP Jinks. Hope you found the peace that you deserve.

Khor tose
January 31st, 2014, 14:23
I never met Jinks, and I rarely disagreed with his moderation. His contributions will be missed on this and every board.

nak muay
February 1st, 2014, 21:36
To keep anyone here updated and provide them info about jinks' funeral arrangements. It will be held on the 14th of February at Lodge Hill Crematorium in Selly Oak Birmingham (England) at 10:30.

There will be a wake after in the bulls head pub on Kings Norton Green where we will be raising a glass to his memory and food will be provided too for all who come.

I do hope some of you can make it, you are all welcome to pay your respects but a heads up if a group decides to attend as will need to ensure enough food for everyone and approx numbers for crematorium also.

please use the email i provided in the OP : ecigpp@gmail.com for any contact.

I will be taking ownership of john domain names and websites as per his wishes before he passed but i cannot promise to maintain them forever but will ensure they do not disappear straight away as i know there are a lot of other people photos in his database.

francois
February 1st, 2014, 23:15
There will be a wake after in the bulls head pub on Kings Norton Green where we will be raising a glass to his memory .........

Now let us sit and drink and make us merry
And afterward we will his body bury."

-Geoffrey Chaucer

Surfcrest
February 2nd, 2014, 00:36
I will be taking ownership of john domain names and websites as per his wishes before he passed but i cannot promise to maintain them forever but will ensure they do not disappear straight away as i know there are a lot of other people photos in his database.
If you would like, you can hang on to the ownership of John's domain names and websites as per his wishes and simply have us here at Sawatdee host and maintain the sites on our Network. That way, not only will the sites never disappear...they will be integrated with this site and be easily accessible from here for as long as you wish.

Surfcrest

Smiles
February 2nd, 2014, 06:09
Good idea Surfcrest.
Although John (with a capital 'J' please :D ) posted on just about all the gay Thailand boards, it was here he made a kind of home base... in the sense of being a Moderator on Sawatdee under three different owners since about 2005. There was a short hiatus as Mod during the mess Neal made of the board, but so short as to be easily forgettable.
So, it makes decent sense to insert John's travel website(s) within this new Network. I'm not very big on 'memorials' at the best of times, but this small addition to Sawatdee seems to me to be a kind of one, and most fitting.

elephantspike
February 6th, 2014, 02:55
Great idea. I can get on that whenever you're ready

newalaan2
February 10th, 2014, 12:13
I'm stunned. I knew this was coming but you can never really be prepared for it.
Me too Spike. I took-in the hints and suggestions that jinks wasn't in the best of health recently, but it's suddenness has still come as a great shock. I'm in Thailand just now and as usual have not been keeping up with the forums while here. I logged in just to see if I still needed to use a proxy and although initially pleased to find access easy now, that all changed very suddenly on being greeted with this thread. A very sad day indeed.

Thankfully I have always been able to differentiate between Boardieland shenanigans/nonsense/games and 'real' life, so despite never being in tune with jinks 'front of house' moderation 'style',on which we occasionally butted heads always appreciated the time and dedication jinks gave to this Board over the years. Behind the scenes trawling through posts to weed out anything which can seriously affect the Board, owner or moderators in legal repercussions is time-consuming and vital. I know through a few commonly-known contacts here that in 'real life' he was a very kind and good-hearted individual who was well-liked by all those he came into contact with.

I am thankful before he passed-away I had the chance to be able to let him know that I appreciated his work on SGT, as I did around the time of Neal's awful, tragic tenure on this Board when he parted-ways with jinks, (which as smiles rightly points out was only a very short hiatus). He had jokingly? hinted to Neal for a 'Golden' membership, but Neal showing his nasty, unappreciative, vindictiveness was having none of it. I had always been in the habit of making the annual Board donation to help with time/costs and despite the fact Neal was the present owner I had always appreciated the fact SGT existed in whatever form as a useful resource, and was always fine with an anonymous donation. On this occasion I hoped Neal would recognise jinks's body of work with at least 'something' but with no genuine appreciation being shown I asked that the golden membership be transferred to jinks as my personal appreciation of all this work.

Of course you will probably guess Neal made that recognition as difficult as he could, first by saying Golden memberships could not be 'transferred' and that it was difficult and time consuming to do it, but I insisted and much to Neal's irritation he finally 'gave-in' and was able to easily do it. No doubt Neal would recall a somewhat different series of events and will probably do so in one of his trademark vile thoughtless and ignorant blabberings.

It was at that point John showed his total class by setting aside our personal Boardieland differences of opinion and moderating ideas to send me two very nice, genuine PMs/Emails which he need not have done.

I will genuinely miss the continuity/consistency John brought to SGT over many years. R.I.P John-jinks....big and small j's in line with protocol.

(I know there is already a 'sticky' with jinks farewell post, but I had to search for this thread, it would have been easier to find if this thread had also been sticky'd and kept unlocked to allow members to show their appreciation)

Thanks to "nak muay" for contributing to and starting this thread.

bruce_nyc
February 13th, 2014, 06:28
His spirit here certainly lives on...

I was just reading some random item, and at the bottom appeared this thread.... as if it were posted yesterday....

good-kind-thoughtful-helpful-t21843.html (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/good-kind-thoughtful-helpful-t21843.html)