PDA

View Full Version : Do they have a clue? Booze related!

egel
January 28th, 2014, 17:36
Do the Thais really give a flying fuck about tourists?

Yes its Election time again and this is about bar closures.

Last weekend we had the stupid debacle of all the bars in Sunnee Plaza shuttered up Saturday and Sunday. All the bars were open in Boyztown but most were not selling booze. However two were but at 10.30 one announced that the cops had said no booze so stopped selling! Everyone just moved next door.

Presumably its the same next weekend...Chinese New Year weekend. Those arriving for this festival are going to love it!

But there is worse!...One assumes all bar will be closed for Muccha Budda day, as always. Guess when... 14 February Valentines Night.

And, of of all the people consuming booze in Boystown or Sunne or, for that matter, the whole of Pattaya, how many are are eligible to vote?...probably NONE.

Amazing Thailand, I hope you are not on your way here for the Chinese New Year and Valentine period. If you are try to enjoy your trip and have thoughts for the poor bar owners.

scottish-guy
January 28th, 2014, 18:04
You do know that, in Thailand, voting is compulsory and votes must be cast where one is registered (which can be some distance away)?

I suspect that is why bars may be closed - nothing to do with seeking to disadvantage farang sex tourists who cannot go an hour without a drink (or a cock) in their hand.

Plus, many voters need free time to spend the bribes (oops - please delete if that will cause difficulties for the Board)

:ymparty:

focusedinthai
January 28th, 2014, 21:11
Sorry - but you are exactly the kind of tourist that Thailand does not want - so obviously the law must be working then. You can't go without a drink for a day or two? Quite sad. Do you know how much money this country (Thailand) spends every year on drunk Farang who end up stuck here with no insurance, no way to get back to their own country, no money, and terminally ill due to some alcohol related illness? It is because of people like you that seem to think the only reason people come to Thailand is to drink that actually gives the country a bad name. There are MANY tourists who do not drink, including those in Pattaya, who are perfectly fine with a few days of bar closings. So - give it a rest, let your liver detox next weekend, and then hit it hard again the following week so you can end up another statistic sick from alcohol poisoning.

Cheers!

Last weekend we had the stupid debacle of all the bars in Sunnee Plaza shuttered up Saturday and Sunday. All the bars were open in Boyztown but most were not selling booze. However two were but at 10.30 one announced that the cops had said no booze so stopped selling! Everyone just moved next door.

Presumably its the same next weekend...Chinese New Year weekend. Those arriving for this festival are going to love it!

But there is worse!...One assumes all bar will be closed for Muccha Budda day, as always. Guess when... 14 February Valentines Night.

And, of of all the people consuming booze in Boystown or Sunne or, for that matter, the whole of Pattaya, how many are are eligible to vote?...probably NONE.

Amazing Thailand, I hope you are not on your way here for the Chinese New Year and Valentine period. If you are try to enjoy your trip and have thoughts for the poor bar owners.

thaiguest
January 28th, 2014, 23:54

The last time I checked tourism represents only 6/7 % of GNP in Thailand. However it accounts for 15% of employment.
Thus 85% of Thais do not work in hotels and bars and over 90% of GNP is generated by such mundane things as rice, industry. fruit etc.
So to answer your question- yes, the majority of Thais don't.

Surfcrest
January 29th, 2014, 02:19
Sorry - but you are exactly the kind of tourist that Thailand does not want - so obviously the law must be working then. You can't go without a drink for a day or two? Quite sad. Do you know how much money this country (Thailand) spends every year on drunk Farang who end up stuck here with no insurance, no way to get back to their own country, no money, and terminally ill due to some alcohol related illness?
I agree, there certainly are issues with people coming to Thailand and drinking themselves (or even eating themselves) to death and leaving behind bills, medical / hospital / etc and that is unfortunate.

I might have one beer a day or perhaps a few each week and still too find these "no alcohol" times in Thailand to be inconvenient. Coming from a country with our own archaic alcohol laws that have since been modernized in the past few years, I understand where Thailand is coming from. No doubt, for tourists with a limited amount of time in Thailand and where each day of their holiday is precious...these closures could affect tourism and revenues for businesses that sell alcohol, especially in high season.

For the same reason our laws changed, no doubt Thailand's will as well within their own "Thai" time frame from the same pressures, be they from business or from the people.

Surfcrest

whitemouse
January 29th, 2014, 04:41

Mmmm.. Nope.

Edit:
I think they are conflicted about tourists. Its not that they dont give a fuck, they do.. But not in a good way, they hate tourists, all foreigners. But they need their money. Its not 7%, that bullshit figure is made up, just like every other stat here. Foreigners provide lot more employment than hotel staff.

It would be interesting to see 1 months here wo foreigners, or better yet 1 year. North East will go hungry, people will kill for food, whole cities will shut down, mass migration, hunger, violent crime in order to get food, probably economic collapse of country.. there is only so much rice and fruit they can sell, in order to balance the 7% of lost revenues. It wouldnt be a pretty sight. But as always, it would be fault of foreigners.

whitemouse
January 29th, 2014, 05:05
Sorry - but you are exactly the kind of tourist that Thailand does not want - so obviously the law must be working then. You can't go without a drink for a day or two? Quite sad.

OP is talking about a tourist, who was unlucky, his trip here for few weeks was planned months earlier, and his timing turned out very unlucky. He isnt talking about an expat, I know this, cos he used a word tourist.

Also, your assumption he is an alcoholic is not very nice. You dont know him, do you? Its unwise to assume, he maybe likes vine w his dinner. Possible?

christianpfc
January 29th, 2014, 09:32
I don't drink alcohol, so it doesn't affect me.

But one note: the law just says that the sale of alcohol is prohibited, and this is only adhered to in 7/11 (I think because every sale is registered electronically when the item is scanned). So you could bring your own booze into a bar, that would not be illegal, however the owner of the bar might not like it.

thaiguest
January 29th, 2014, 11:47

Mmmm.. Nope.

Edit:
I think they are conflicted about tourists. Its not that they dont give a fuck, they do.. But not in a good way, they hate tourists, all foreigners. But they need their money. Its not 7%, that bullshit figure is made up, just like every other stat here. Foreigners provide lot more employment than hotel staff.

It would be interesting to see 1 months here wo foreigners, or better yet 1 year. North East will go hungry, people will kill for food, whole cities will shut down, mass migration, hunger, violent crime in order to get food, probably economic collapse of country.. there is only so much rice and fruit they can sell, in order to balance the 7% of lost revenues. It wouldnt be a pretty sight. But as always, it would be fault of foreigners.

Are you suggesting that official figures could be made up?
Are you crazy?
Just gave the idea a 2nd thought.
You're not crazy.
They're made up.

mahjongguy
January 29th, 2014, 12:06
If you must have a drink, go to a hotel. Bars in hotels are exempt.

lego
January 29th, 2014, 12:21
First of all, as noted, there are exemptions. Restaurants, bars and nightclubs in hotels are exempt from the alcohol ban. It's not targeted at tourists, after all, they're merely collateral damage if affected. Also, this law is enforced about as strictly as any other law in Thailand is that I can think of (prostitution, the need to have a driving license to operate a vehicle, the smoking ban, ...). I certainly don't know what the fuss here is all about, I've never had a problem to get my hands on booze whenever I wanted to (which isn't all too often).

whitemouse, I'd say you're grossly overstating (dreaming up?) the impact foreigners have on the Thai economy, even in contemporary Isaan. I think the times you're describing are long gone. I mean these foreigners residing in Thailand or coming for a holiday, those who buy Thai products in their home countries are obviously another story, because Thailand's exports are significant. It also gets boring to read that old "(all) Thais hate (all) foreigners" nonsense. It's just as silly as thinking they all love you because they smile at you. The truth is usually somewhere in between.

whitemouse
January 29th, 2014, 23:15
Lego, if I may, you mention Thai product in peoples 'home countries'. What are those Thai products that people buy in their home countries, please? It is not a trick question, please list some! And pls no Thai brothels in the West, ok?

You say I deeam up, and exaggerate the impact of tourism in Thailands economy. How so? Do you believe foreigners have far less role in Thai economy, than I think. Ok, maybe so. Do you think all working girls and boys pay taxes, and their income is in any of Thai gov stats? Does all the revenue Pattaya, Phuket generstes make it to gov stats? Yes?

You do realize the 7% figure comes from jobs that are directly linked to tourism. Pattaya bars are not in those stats, Thai sex workers are not in those stats. The 7% figure comes from hotel industry.

Thais are tought that foreigners are lesser humans than natives, the accepted xenophobia here is a norm. If word Hate is not acceptable to you, I will go w They dislike us very much. Are we now ok? You do understand thst we are lower than their pets, and only slightly above Indian people?

You feel saying Thais hate everyone, other than Thai is nonsense, silly, and boring read for you.
Brother, please post something better and less boring then! Post anything, we need all the help we can get here. You replied to my post, and I thank you, at least you posted something, and that is more than most Sawadee members here do.

Again, Thais hate us. It may feel boring and old to you, but its true. They are rised thinking all others are inferior. Dont you know that??

You say what I posted is boring. I know it is. But at least I posted something, my honest opinion. We have 4 posts a day here, that is not very much, agreed?

I posted, and my post made u respond, that is a good thing! We need to talk more here, even if some of the posts are boring and tired to u.. Cos the thing is, other people reading this board are not you. They are other people. This may not be boring to many peole.

focusedinthai
January 30th, 2014, 06:29
Perhaps people are not posting because they are forced to read through dribble and nonsense, such as what you are posting. Have you ever thought of that? Perhaps people have better things to do than reply to messages that are simply meant to evoke a response (which you seem so proud of yourself for getting), rather than actually providing something useful to the gay community. Have you thought of that? Get a grip, stop posting nonsense, and perhaps - just perhaps - people might actually start posting to the board again.

Lego, if I may, you mention Thai product in peoples 'home countries'. What are those Thai products that people buy in their home countries, please? It is not a trick question, please list some! And pls no Thai brothels in the West, ok?

You say I deeam up, and exaggerate the impact of tourism in Thailands economy. How so? Do you believe foreigners have far less role in Thai economy, than I think. Ok, maybe so. Do you think all working girls and boys pay taxes, and their income is in any of Thai gov stats? Does all the revenue Pattaya, Phuket generstes make it to gov stats? Yes?

You do realize the 7% figure comes from jobs that are directly linked to tourism. Pattaya bars are not in those stats, Thai sex workers are not in those stats. The 7% figure comes from hotel industry.

Thais are tought that foreigners are lesser humans than natives, the accepted xenophobia here is a norm. If word Hate is not acceptable to you, I will go w They dislike us very much. Are we now ok? You do understand thst we are lower than their pets, and only slightly above Indian people?

You feel saying Thais hate everyone, other than Thai is nonsense, silly, and boring read for you.
Brother, please post something better and less boring then! Post anything, we need all the help we can get here. You replied to my post, and I thank you, at least you posted something, and that is more than most Sawadee members here do.

Again, Thais hate us. It may feel boring and old to you, but its true. They are rised thinking all others are inferior. Dont you know that??

You say what I posted is boring. I know it is. But at least I posted something, my honest opinion. We have 4 posts a day here, that is not very much, agreed?

I posted, and my post made u respond, that is a good thing! We need to talk more here, even if some of the posts are boring and tired to u.. Cos the thing is, other people reading this board are not you. They are other people. This may not be boring to many peole.

lego
January 30th, 2014, 09:33
Thailand is one of the world's top exporters for various products ranging from canned tuna to hard drives for computer systems. On top of that, it's one of the region's top exporters for vehicles like cars and motorbikes. Many Thais nowadays earn good money working in factories; newalaan2 recently posted an insightful article about acquaintances of his living and working at one of the many Industrial Estates.

So again, NO, tourists and "love drunks" who send "donations" to their Thai partners don't have such an impact on the Thai economy as a whole. Foreigners belonging to these groups tend to grossly overestimate their own significance. I don't deny that they can make a huge difference for the family they're supporting, but if they wouldn't, it would be no disaster and there are other ways to earn money. People in Isaan certainly wouldn't starve without that money, in the worst case they're quite self-sufficient and can sell any surplus produce. They can also send members of their family to work at said industrial estates within Thailand as well as abroad (many people I know from Isaan have worked in countries such as Taiwan, Saudi Arabia or Japan at some point, and often bought a pickup truck or built a house when coming back after a couple of years of hard and well-paid work). Tourism does have its share in Thailand's overall revenue, sure, but it's nowhere near as high as some people dream it up to be.

I won't reply to the rest of your post. If you think that the Thais hate you, for whatever reason, I'd recommend you stay as far away from them as possible. Easy.

Smiles
January 30th, 2014, 10:02
Yes to Lego on this. If Mr Whitemouse has ever traipsed through any Walmart store (I do my traipsing through the Canadian variety, but I doubt the larger American stores are much different) he'd notice ~ looking closely ~ a vast array of clothing, furniture, foodstuff, sporting goods etc etc with 'Made in Thailand' stickers front and centre. And that's only one company mentioned.

As regards the foolish ~ probably just a stupid windup ~ generalization that "...Thais hate us ... ", it's not even a good idea to even attempt to reply to that with anecdotes to the contrary. But, I've lived now in Thailand since 2007 so one would think that there is a reasonable probability that I would have experienced The Hate at some level, even perhaps subtle and partly hidden. But no ... not once, and I can assure you I own no rose-coloured glasses.
It's true, Thais think very highly of their country and their culture and there brethren ... and yes, sometimes much too highly, and they wildly ignore a lot of the more glaring negatives which this country has in abundance.
But 'hatred' of foreigners in general? Absolute bullshit.

christianpfc
January 30th, 2014, 10:25
In all the time I have spent in Thailand I haven't come across one situation that I would describe as "hate foreigner". On the contrary, I get so many invitations from strangers to drink and chat, I have to recline most of them because I have no time and don't drink.

The most negative situation I encountered was when I played along with the "Grand Palace is closed" scam, let the driver take me to a tailor shop, spend some time there and declared that I have no intention to order a suit now, whereupon the (Indian?) salesperson said: "If you don't want to buy, why do you waste my time?"

egel
February 2nd, 2014, 01:20
Sorry - but you are exactly the kind of tourist that Thailand does not want - so obviously the law must be working then. You can't go without a drink for a day or two? Quite sad. Do you know how much money this country (Thailand) spends every year on drunk Farang who end up stuck here with no insurance, no way to get back to their own country, no money, and terminally ill due to some alcohol related illness? It is because of people like you that seem to think the only reason people come to Thailand is to drink that actually gives the country a bad name. There are MANY tourists who do not drink, including those in Pattaya, who are perfectly fine with a few days of bar closings. So - give it a rest, let your liver detox next weekend, and then hit it hard again the following week so you can end up another statistic sick from alcohol poisoning.

Cheers!

And that hsyterical outburst is based on what facts? You know me? ...thought so.
I suggest you become a journalist ... you will go straight to the top with that sort of writing.

OP is talking about a tourist, who was unlucky, his trip here for few weeks was planned months earlier, and his timing turned out very unlucky. He isnt talking about an expat, I know this, cos he used a word tourist.

Also, your assumption he is an alcoholic is not very nice. You dont know him, do you? Its unwise to assume, he maybe likes vine w his dinner. Possible?

Thank you for your well considered and accurate reply.