PDA

View Full Version : Now is the perfect time to visit Chiang Mai!

BonTong
January 26th, 2014, 12:16
Whilst political strife may be effecting travel to Bangkok, there's never been a better time to visit Chiang Mai. Read why here:

Chiang Mai тАУ Everything is fine in paradise (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2014/chiang-mai-paradise/)

With the fabulous cool season weather at its best right now, a drop in visitor numbers and a depreciating Thai Baht, now is perhaps the optimal time to visit. There are practically no signs of ThailandтАЩs troubles in Northern Thailand and for bargain hunters Chiang Mai is the perfect place to be.

lego
January 27th, 2014, 01:46
Please remind me, when will the burning season start? I.e. how long will Chiang Mai still be that enjoyable?

Khor tose
January 27th, 2014, 05:30
Please remind me, when will the burning season start? I.e. how long will Chiang Mai still be that enjoyable?
The burning season starts in March and April. Bon Ton's article is excellent, but I would still suggest for the best gay action you check the bars behind the D2 hotel in the night bazaar area.

January 27th, 2014, 09:50
Not a "walking around" city I hear - you need a vehicle to get anywhere

bkkmfj2648
January 27th, 2014, 13:05
Yes I agree - the distances to walk are vast as the city is spread out over a very big area.
But, there are convenient Baht Buses and taxis - which do not cost a lot.
Chiang Mai is worth seeing. Concentrate your walking once you get to the area that you want to see by non-walking means
in that way, you can save your energy for sight seeing and not wasting it on trying to get to the sight seeing area that you want to see

Oliver
January 27th, 2014, 15:36
My boyfriend and I are having a good time here. I recommend Amasorn market for hill-tribe crafts and The Whole Earth for a "special" dinner.

Khor tose
January 27th, 2014, 19:56
My boyfriend and I are having a good time here. I recommend Amasorn market for hill-tribe crafts and The Whole Earth for a "special" dinner.
Anusorn Market is the correct name, and yes it is a good place to shop. I would also recommend the very interesting Wararot Market. Everything is there, but you have to walk around the place and go down the sois. Also in the night bazaar area between the McDonalds and the Burger King is the continuation of Loi Kroh road (going east) and you will find the very good Lemon Tree restaurant. Similar to the whole earth, and equally good to eat at.

Oliver
January 28th, 2014, 08:26
Thanks for the correction....I noticed my mistake as I went there last night. We also enjoyed eating cheaply at Roadside restaurant at entrance (more accurately perhaps the exit). 400 bht for two without drinks.
For nostalgia's sake, I had a look at the once-notorious gay bars at the back of the Night Market. Very quiet; almost sedate. I remember that being quite a scene a few years ago.
Chiang Mai is certainly busy. ...but with Chinese and Japanese tourists on group tours rather than falangs, as far as I can see.

BonTong
January 28th, 2014, 09:14
Chiang Mai is certainly busy. ...but with Chinese and Japanese tourists on group tours rather than falangs, as far as I can see.
Asian, tourists are certainly keeping the boy Go-Go bars alive and well. Quite a few Malaysian and Singaporean customers too, the type who, rather than sit and nurse one expensive drink for the whole show, don't think twice about opening a bottle of black label or two and sharing with a few of the boys. Very good business.

However, outside the tourist areas I do see many more younger farangs around. e.g. in Nimmanaheminda and the areas around Chiang Mai University. Ten years ago, farangs on this side of town were still a novelty, whereas now the place seems full of them! A lot I've met seem to be here on education visas whilst doing some sideline work online to get by; quite a different crowd to the traditional gap year backpackers.

One recently opened gay owned Thai restaurant near CMU seems to attract quite a following of these types, and some Farangs from the Lanna Muay Thai Boxing Camp (http://lannamuaythai.com/) down the road. "Bird of Paradise" (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/chiang-mai-gay/bars-pubs-restaurant-cafe/#bird-of-paradise) has been open less than seven months and seems to be doing quite well with reasonably priced Thai food. Many on here may know the owner, Bird, who worked at Balcony (Silom Soi 4) for quite a few years. It might seem hidden away, but its actually not far of both Huay Kaew and Canal Road (the soi beside Fine Thanks). Worth checking out; a friendly welcome is guaranteed.

Khor tose
January 28th, 2014, 12:56
For nostalgia's sake, I had a look at the once-notorious gay bars at the back of the Night Market. Very quiet; almost sedate. I remember that being quite a scene a few years ago.

You have to go after 11:00 PM, and maybe even 12:00 to see these these bars to come alive. Nimmanaheminda is much more lively with a large "straight" student crowd and some great restaurants. There are several good gay owned restaurants/bars outside of the moat. To mention a few try Perns on Huey Kaew for tapas and Western food, Anchan on Nimmanheminda for top quality organic vegetarian, Rachada in Sanitam for real Italian style pizza, or Sabbai Dee in Sanitam for good Thai food and a remarkable setting.

January 28th, 2014, 15:48
But, there are convenient Baht Buses and taxis - which do not cost a lot.Cost is immaterial, personal safety and comfort aren't. You've asserted that it's "worth seeing". What does CM have that's completely unique and worth going out of my way to visit? Is it somewhere I should visit by train? 8-}

Oliver
January 28th, 2014, 17:49
I'm no expert but I have been visiting CM of and on for about fifteen years. The gay scene has never appealed (though the old Adam's Apple was fun); what I like is the countryside and the fact that it is a working Thai town with visitors rather than a town created for visitors.
One place enjoyed seeing this time was Kampaengphaet. It took us five hours to drive there....too much for me to want to go there often.Very quiet place on the river.

Khor tose
January 29th, 2014, 00:27
But, there are convenient Baht Buses and taxis - which do not cost a lot.

Cost is immaterial, personal safety and comfort aren't. You've asserted that it's "worth seeing". What does CM have that's completely unique and worth going out of my way to visit? Is it somewhere I should visit by train? 8-}

The people, who are different in culture then what you find in the South of Thailand. They include a mix of Thai, Lanna culture Thai, hill tribes, Shan, Karen and Chinese. Inside the city and outside there are many unique temples. The beautiful mountains and waterfalls including Doi Inthalnon, the tallest mountain in Thailand. Jungle trekking and the wildlife. I could add some incredibly handsome boys, but most of the boys you meet in the clubs in the South are from the North and Northeast of Thailand. A lot of expats who are settled and not tourist and have an active community that includes both gays and straights in every event, club and activity. However, very few things anywhere are truly unique, and beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder. Another way of saying individual taste are different and Chiang Mai is just like any other place in that it is what you make of it.

January 31st, 2014, 13:52
However, very few things anywhere are truly unique, and beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder. Another way of saying individual taste are different and Chiang Mai is just like any other place in that it is what you make of it.You couldn't have said it better. Temples - no. Countryside - ugh. People-watching - yes.