PDA

View Full Version : Things they don't do in thailand.

arsenal
January 24th, 2014, 21:32
A not unpleasant thread on GB is about those petty annoyances that grate when in Thailand. So I thought I'd start one about things they don't do there but do elsewhere.

1: The shop assistants don't come and poke you roughly in the back to point to something right front of you.
2: They don't come into the dentists surgery to watch out of curiosity.
3: They don't bang on your door as if they're the police only to realise they've got the wrong address.
4: The bouncers in a nightclub don't just stand there as a drunk beats up his wife.
They do all that in China and a whole lot more.

thaiguest
January 25th, 2014, 21:44
A not unpleasant thread on GB is about those petty annoyances that grate when in Thailand. So I thought I'd start one about things they don't do there but do elsewhere.

1: The shop assistants don't come and poke you roughly in the back to point to something right front of you.
3: They don't bang on your door as if they're the police only to realise they've got the wrong address.
4: The bouncers in a nightclub don't just stand there as a drunk beats up his wife.

They sound like perfectly horrible people.
Two friends went to China last year in connection with an adoption. They had experience of the local Chinese restaurant community where they lived and they found them friendly and always smiling.
But in China they were shocked at the naked rudeness of the people on their home ground. They couldn't wait to get home.

January 26th, 2014, 03:22
But in China they were shocked at the naked rudeness of the people on their home ground. They couldn't wait to get home.That's because in the West society has evolved in the direction of one for all, all for one. In Asia it's still me, me me and the whole patronage system that supports that view.

cottmann
January 26th, 2014, 05:51
The Edinburgh-based firm Skyscanner reported in 2012 that the Mainland Chinese ranked only sixth for rudeness to travelers on their list of 34 countries. The country deemed the most rude for travelers was France, followed by Russia, the UK, Germany, and "Other" (a group of unnamed countries). China ranked just above the USA, Italy, and Poland. Apart from the unidentified "Other," all the countries in the top 10 - apart from China - are Western countries.

The five countries seen as least rude to travelers ((in descending order) were Brazil, the Caribbean region, the Philippines, Thailand, and Portugal.

The firm's explanation for the apparent rudeness of Chinese to travelers was cultural differences (e.g., queuing is not a Mainland Chinese custom, though Taiwanese do it and consider Mainlanders uncouth), and the fact that many waitresses and shop assistants in China are young rural women with poor language skills who are shy and unaccustomed to foreigners.

Smiles
January 26th, 2014, 10:12
Just for everyone's further education regarding the 'rudeness' quotient of various nationalities: Canadians ~ such as myself :-B ~ are always described as being 'NICE' to goddamn tourists. (Not sure if Canadian owners of ~ for instance ~ message boards, stay 'NICE' or not.)
On the other hand, Americans are all over the map on this one ... but mostly only marginally rude. But, the offset is that they are unfortunately more often than not, painfully 'NAIVE'. To everyone!

January 26th, 2014, 12:10
Just for everyone's further education regarding the 'rudeness' quotient of various nationalities: Canadians ~ And Justin Bieber?

Bobett
January 26th, 2014, 14:17
Just for everyone's further education regarding the 'rudeness' quotient of various nationalities: Canadians ~ And Justin Bieber?

ID FUCK THE ARSE OF IM LOL!!! :))

Manforallseasons
January 26th, 2014, 15:44

5. Boys says my mother went to the doctor and she is fine.
6. " " I have enough money to last me next month.
5. " " I don't need a new phone .
6. " " I want a job.

thaiguest
January 26th, 2014, 23:37
The Edinburgh-based firm Skyscanner reported in 2012 that the Mainland Chinese ranked only sixth for rudeness to travelers on their list of 34 countries. The country deemed the most rude for travelers was France, followed by Russia, the UK, Germany, and "Other" (a group of unnamed countries). China ranked just above the USA, Italy, and Poland. Apart from the unidentified "Other," all the countries in the top 10 - apart from China - are Western countries.

The five countries seen as least rude to travelers ((in descending order) were Brazil, the Caribbean region, the Philippines, Thailand, and Portugal.

The firm's explanation for the apparent rudeness of Chinese to travelers was cultural differences (e.g., queuing is not a Mainland Chinese custom, though Taiwanese do it and consider Mainlanders uncouth), and the fact that many waitresses and shop assistants in China are young rural women with poor language skills who are shy and unaccustomed to foreigners.

Interesting.

But generalisations are always wrong.

thaiguest
January 27th, 2014, 00:24

5. Boys says my mother went to the doctor and she is fine.
6. " " I have enough money to last me next month.
5. " " I don't need a new phone .
6. " " I want a job.

7) Boys say you're a 65 /85 yr creepy man- I can't have sex with you or I'll get sick.
8) Boys say you're over 90 /100 kilos ,fat and smelly and you expect to sleep with me for 25 dollars -19 yrs old, slim and 53 kilos?

Manforallseasons
January 27th, 2014, 00:38
7) Boys say you're a 65 /85 yr creepy man- I can't have sex with you or I'll get sick.
8) Boys say you're over 90 kilos and smelly and you expect to sleep with me- 19 yrs old, slim and 53 kilos?(quote)thaiguest

Interesting to hear those were your experiences, I hope you didn't give them any money.

January 27th, 2014, 03:34
8) Boys say you're over 90 kilos and smelly and you expect to sleep with me- 19 yrs old, slim and 53 kilos?(quote)thaiguest

Interesting to hear those were your experiences, I hope you didn't give them any money.Interesting self-hatred that crops up quite often from some posters.

Manforallseasons
January 27th, 2014, 11:54

Interesting to hear those were your experiences, I hope you didn't give them any money.Interesting self-hatred that crops up quite often from some posters.

If you look at 3 posts up you'll see 7&8 were added to mine by "thaiquest" , agreed they are rather mean spirited.

thaiguest
January 27th, 2014, 12:18

If you look at 3 posts up you'll see 7&8 were added to mine by "thaiquest" , agreed they are rather mean spirited.

Further proof that logic is often missing in discourses here- Kommentariat was so anxious to get personal (my post was general not about me nor directed at you) that you had to send him back to base one. Thank you.
I have seen not ten but hundreds of old fat men (gay and straight) taking "off" young people for sex here when they wouldn't get as much as a look from the youth in their own countries.
I would rather call it having a rare opportunity for an exercise in self-LOVE.

a447
January 27th, 2014, 16:31
MFAS, where did Thaiguest say that they were his experiences?

scottish-guy
January 27th, 2014, 16:36
Arsenal started an interesting thread - but I find the responses by Thaiguest and MFAS unintelligible in the context of Arsenal's topic.

Is it just me? If so, apologies.

thaiguest
January 27th, 2014, 17:16
Arsenal started an interesting thread - but I find the responses by Thaiguest and MFAS unintelligible in the context of Arsenal's topic.

Is it just me? If so, apologies.

I don't know if it's just you or not.

The thread theme is " (annoying) things they don't do in Thailand but do elsewhere "and the OP cited China as his example.

Then the topic took off in different directions as happens to almost every topic here.

MFAS gave it a fairly benign mocking twist citing things Thai boys don't do here for example saying "my mother is ok, I don't need money" etc. I added to his list but this time turning the mockery on to the falang sex consumers and MFAS got a fit and threw his toys out of the pram.

You see he may be one of these that can give it but not take it. If he's not careful he may not get my nomination for 'poster of the year' award in 2015.

Is it any clearer now?

Manforallseasons
January 27th, 2014, 17:21
Thaiquest, now that is certainly something to think about. #-o I mean the award of course.

scottish-guy
January 27th, 2014, 17:40
....(MFAS) may be one of these that can give it but not take it...

I knew (platonically) a rather portly middle-aged gentleman like that - he alleged his arse was "too small".

Funnily enough, whenever he visited my house it took up 3/4 of my settee.

:AR!

Manforallseasons
January 27th, 2014, 17:51
Because you don't live here your apology accepted.

Smiles
January 27th, 2014, 22:35
" ... Then the topic took off in different directions as happens to almost every topic here ... "
As frustrating as this type of event(s) may seem on the surface, I think that this rather idiosyncratic feature of this particular board is quite refreshing ... and almost always quite funny ... and surely to christ 'having fun' is really the fundamental reason why anyone bothers with WWW message boards in the first place.
Now that I think about it, I would take a guess that most message boards tend to be of that nature ~ human nature being what it is, conversationally-wise. Unfortunately, misguided and dictatorial moderation policies often get in the way, and the spontaneity is lost forever.
Here's to the anarchy of Off-Topic-ism :-B

January 28th, 2014, 00:56
If you look at 3 posts up you'll see 7&8 were added to mine by "thaiquest" , agreed they are rather mean spirited.I am well aware of that MFAS - is it a new posting rule that we amend someone's post when quoting it to reflect on how they should have written it ie. by quoting thaiguest? It appears you've altered your original post now.

I'm not actually sure, in the light of thaiguest's responses, what his point actually is. That guys who pay prostitutes are deluding themselves if they believe the prostitute is acting purely for pleasure? That is so breathtakingly banal it's not worth saying. However thaiguest refers specifically to 65/85 "creepy" guys. Are all 65/85 guys "creepy" thaiguest? He subsequently wrote
I have seen not ten but hundreds of old fat men (gay and straight) taking "off" young people for sex here when they wouldn't get as much as a look from the youth in their own countries.So "old fat men" is what thaiguest means by "creepy". I suggest thaiguest either loathes his current self or is fearful for his future self.

See a shrink, thaiguest, you are clearly in need of one.

arsenal
January 28th, 2014, 07:53
Kommentariat says that Thaiguest needs to see a shrink in order to shrink. Top class punning. :))

thaiguest
January 28th, 2014, 14:10
If you look at 3 posts up you'll see 7&8 were added to mine by "thaiquest" , agreed they are rather mean spirited.I am well aware of that MFAS - is it a new posting rule that we amend someone's post when quoting it to reflect on how they should have written it ie. by quoting thaiguest? It appears you've altered your original post now.

I'm not actually sure, in the light of thaiguest's responses, what his point actually is. That guys who pay prostitutes are deluding themselves if they believe the prostitute is acting purely for pleasure? That is so breathtakingly banal it's not worth saying. However thaiguest refers specifically to 65/85 "creepy" guys. Are all 65/85 guys "creepy" thaiguest? He subsequently wrote
I have seen not ten but hundreds of old fat men (gay and straight) taking "off" young people for sex here when they wouldn't get as much as a look from the youth in their own countries.So "old fat men" is what thaiguest means by "creepy". I suggest thaiguest either loathes his current self or is fearful for his future self.

See a shrink, thaiguest, you are clearly in need of one.

You're making equations where they don't exist and putting words in my mouth.
I'm reluctant to suggest that the nuances of this (harmless) word game are beyond you but it may well be so.
I suggest you sign up for a basic course in logic.
Test yourself with this first: if A =B and B=C does it follow that A=C?
If you get this wrong don't waste your money.
Over and out.

January 28th, 2014, 15:41
You're making equations where they don't exist and putting words in my mouth.
I'm reluctant to suggest that the nuances of this (harmless) word game are beyond you but it may well be so.
I suggest you sign up for a basic course in logic.
Test yourself with this first: if A =B and B=C does it follow that A=C?
If you get this wrong don't waste your money.
Over and out.Clearly your talents for logical creativity are wasted in Thailand. Why are you there by the way (and in Pattaya too, quite the bustling intellectual centre of things) - a non-stop diet of boy prostitutes - instead of occupying a chair of philosophy at Harvard?

scottish-guy
January 28th, 2014, 17:50
Well, speaking as someone who does occupy a chair of Philosophy (Saint Todger's University, Brigadoon) I would have to observe that the proof or otherwise of Thaiguest's equation hinges entirely on the value of "="

A mathematician might see it differently of course - but they are all as crazy as a soup sandwich, and not to be trusted.

:ymparty:

thaiguest
January 28th, 2014, 23:40
MEMO TO MODERATORS.
Sorry to be back after I promised "over and out" but one of the bold boys in the forum nursery is having a tantrum again i.e "kommentariat". He's clearly one of these who can give it but not take it and he puts words in my mouth (Anything in my mouth but that!).

whitemouse
January 29th, 2014, 04:25
Things they dont do in Thailand, you'd think they do, but they dont..

Foreigners calling fellow foreigners creepy, and old, and then adding some thoughts about slim young local guys, and down to a kg, 54kg!

Am I on a right track?

whitemouse
January 29th, 2014, 04:38
But I like 'over and out', very masculine, I've heard people say it exactly like that in a movie, could have been a classic featuring Steven Seagul. Very strong, manly phrase, yes?

For it to be effective, trick is NOT to be back, cos if you're back, you are likely to appear very much in, and not out at all. Steven would never handle it like that, alltho he is creepy as f*ck.

thaiguest
January 29th, 2014, 14:43
But I like 'over and out', very masculine, I've heard people say it exactly like that in a movie, could have been a classic featuring Steven Seagul. Very strong, manly phrase, yes?

For it to be effective, trick is NOT to be back, cos if you're back, you are likely to appear very much in, and not out at all. Steven would never handle it like that, alltho he is creepy as f*ck.

I get it. The strong silent type response I think you mean. But I think it's a bit late for that given all the hissy-fit invective that's on show over trivia.
I don't aspire to sitting in homintern's vacant throne but there are a few that do. The present crop of posters have little chance except perhaps for a few-MFAS (though he's prone to hot flushes too but not often), yourself maybe and others whose names escape me at the moment. But my money is on MFAS- he comes across as taciturn, grumpy, sharp when fully awake and economic of speech and above all seldom disappointed as he expects little from humanity.
I think he has 'poster of the year ' award in the bag already and it's only January.

scottish-guy
January 29th, 2014, 15:34
Whitemouse - Re: "Steven Seagul" - was he in that Hitchcock classic, "The Birds"?

:p

thaiguest
January 30th, 2014, 02:11
Whitemouse - Re: "Steven Seagul" - was he in that Hitchcock classic, "The Birds"?

:p
Or maybe had a cameo role in the Hemmingway/Viertel movie " The Old Man and the Semen"?

January 30th, 2014, 11:26
As one of yer ackershal 65 to 85 year old fat guys who off boys young enought to be even my great grandsons I think thaiguest owes me an explanation coz he talks about creepy guys who off boys in one post and as some sort of follow up claiming to have seen old fat guys like me offing young guys so if us oldies are not the creepy guys who are the creepy guys???

whitemouse
January 30th, 2014, 22:33
As one of yer ackershal 65 to 85 year old fat guys who off boys young enought to be even my great grandsons I think thaiguest owes me an explanation coz he talks about creepy guys who off boys in one post and as some sort of follow up claiming to have seen old fat guys like me offing young guys so if us oldies are not the creepy guys who are the creepy guys???

Yes, I am curious too! Who are those 'creepy old guy'?

What is the age limit, after a man becomes old and creepy?

scottish-guy
January 31st, 2014, 01:55
As far as I'm concerned.................about 25

:))

Jon4 boy
January 31st, 2014, 06:14
But in China they were shocked at the naked rudeness of the people on their home ground. They couldn't wait to get home.That's because in the West society has evolved in the direction of one for all, all for one. In Asia it's still me, me me and the whole patronage system that supports that view.

I agree 100% , I have lived in Thailand for 9 years, We keep to ourselves as everywhere ,unless you are spending money, many are just selfish, me me me !
You see it in the markets, on the road especially!

latintopxxx
February 3rd, 2014, 00:28
money is the best beauty agent known to exist...and in Thailand you dont even need a lot to be a super model...as long as everyoner is an adult and consenting who r u guys to judge whats creepy....if I wanna fuck someone 15 years younger than me with a drop dead gorgeous body...and am willing to pay for his time.....its all good!!! Its the main reason I visit Thailand...no illusions...just business....