View Full Version : Situation at Saladeng Station & Question about Asiatique

Blueskytoday
January 17th, 2014, 13:35
HI:
I know things are changing daily..
However, I arrive BKK Feb 1st, only staying until 4th.
1). Are things basically NOW open and OK around Silom Soi 4
and Soi Twilight in the evenings??

2). I have never been to the ASIATIQUE Riverfront Market.
At Saphan Taksin BTS station, are there signs showing which
boat to get on going to go to this market??

Is this a interesting place for eating and shopping?

Thanks for your replies

a447
January 17th, 2014, 15:37
I'm in Silom at the moment and have just been to Siam Paragon shopping centre from Sala Daeng. Very few shoppers.
Everything is open and running smoothly - just no tourists, that's all. Last night Soi Twilight was basically deserted at 9:30 and 11:00 to 12:30.
The protesters outside Lumphini Park are just in party mode. A new market has been created along Silom Street.

Nirish guy
January 17th, 2014, 17:03
O anyone uses Twitter a good source of fairly bang up to date info on what's going on re the protests, where they are / are going and whether an area is quiet / safe or not etc is to follow @RichardBarrow

Credit - I think this info was originally posted on GB's board but unfortunately I can't remember by who, but they were correct, his info is very good.

paulosussex
January 17th, 2014, 17:25
Hi,
When you get to Central Pier under Saphin Taksin BTS, if you walk towards the river boats you will see a sign to the Asiatique shuttle boat service, it's slightly downstream of the main river boat stop.
Cheers

Mancs
January 17th, 2014, 19:22
Soi 4, off Silom, busy Thursday night. The blocking of road intersections causes traffic jams in odd places so taxis not always the best transport.

fedssocr
January 18th, 2014, 05:41
You can just follow the crowd to get to the Asiatique boat. I've seen on some blogs the recommendation that you take a taxi instead since it's fast and more comfortable.

Frankly I didn't find it all that compelling. I had dinner at the Joe Louis puppet theater. They walk around through the restaurant with the puppets. The food was pretty good. But quite slow service.

christianpfc
January 20th, 2014, 13:41
You can see the illuminated Ferris wheel from Sathorn river pier (and BTS and bridge), but it's a bit far for walking.

Free shuttle boat leaves once per hour, full hour and 45 minutes as far as I remember. One of the regular boat stops is in walking distance to Asiatique, that boat is more frequently, but you have to pay a few Baht.

There are buses along Charoenkrung, or you can take a taxi.

I have been a few times, it's nothing special.

lego
January 20th, 2014, 17:14
I'd even go as far as saying it's a tourist trap. Asiatique, that is. It took me almost a whole year after their opening to go there the first time, and I haven't felt the urge to go back since.

corky
January 20th, 2014, 20:26
The free boat from Sathorn Pier to Asiatique is usually so full that you will not be able to see anything except the head of the person crammed in front of you.
A much nicer way of getting there is to take the hotel boat to the Anantara Riverside Resort and then take the hotel boat to Asiatique. There's a 15 minute wait at the Anantara Resort.

1moRussian
January 22nd, 2014, 02:36
On 4th January we went for the observation circle ( saw it in the previous time from the condo). It's 250b per person and we were only 2 in the cabin. I liked it (but we have a private joke on fear of height - so additional fun to tease each other).
Otherwise it was toooo many people, so just the circle and back. Transportation with this free boat was OK. The observation circle starts working at 17 o'clock (some say - at 16).