PDA

View Full Version : Birthday present for Thai boy?

christianpfc
January 15th, 2014, 16:50
I got an invitation to a birthday party of a Thai friend (student) which will be hold in a gay disco in Bangkok and wonder what to bring as a present. Any suggestions?

lego
January 15th, 2014, 17:42
If he likes movies, a gift certificate from Major or SF.
If he likes something else you know, another suitable gift certificate.

If everything else fails, a bottle of whiskey. Most discos allow you to bring your own, but in the worst case, he could just take it home and drink it another time.

Nirish guy
January 15th, 2014, 18:36
I guess it depends on how much of a friend he is and what sort of guy he is and maybe what age he is.

In the past when it's been bar boys birthday parties I've gone the bottle of whiskey route (at their request usually) and then just stapled 1000 baht onto their money sash thing that they put around their neck to enable everyone around them to do the same ( which always seems to be a nice little earner for them in Sunee anyway when they do the rounds of the farang in the various bars ! ).

Also and again depending on the boy in the past I've forked out for fancy birthday cakes for them etc which always went down well as they took take as me "taking care" of them - as I'd ended up doing it as no one else, nor the bar owner for whatever reason would. But if your friend isn't perhaps a bar guy them something a little more refined might be in order in terms of a proper gift which I guess was your original question but of course no matter a farang will buy would be wrong anyway probably and as the other poster has said you can't really go wrong with perhaps a voucher but I' m guessing rather than pin him down to having to go to one place a few nice crisp clean baht notes of whatever denomination you find suitable, placed inside a nice birthday card and sealed in a red envelope would still go down well....at least you're in Bkk so getting a card should be easier, I'd one HELL of a time finding decent cards in Pattaya - actually in one shop I asked for birthday cards and was handed a box with about 100 cards in it and every single one of them were Valetines day cards ! I pointed this out to the guy behind the counter as best i could and he just kept saying "yes, birthday card" - god love him I've a funny feeling that some wholesaler had just ripped him off selling him what he thought we Birthday cards .....not a bit of wonder they weren't selling in July ! lol - although I did notice on my last trip this had changed a little and even some 7/11s were now starting to sell cards etc.

But no matter what you do if you buy a gift Christian I'm sure you know better than me to make sure it's "genuine" and not a copy as I've often thought the FBI should employ a few thai guys in their counterfeit department as Thai boys can spot a fake product at 100 paces and he really won't thank you for that !

gaymandenmark
January 16th, 2014, 00:46
What kind of friend is he?

I have been to several birthday parties, and mostly I have been advised to bring some whiskey or buy it on the premises. But it also depends in what kind of "disco" the party is hold.

If he is a close friend, and the party is in a disco like DJ, I would consider an envelope with some money in and not to bring a "big" gift, he might lose it. Remember it is a party, where people might get drunk.

If you want to impress him invite him to a nice dinner the day before, or ask him to follow you to a real department store of your decision, and ask him if he eg. would like some "genuine" jeans as a gift, he can always flash them in the disco.

So as in any other country, there are no simple answers to your question, but please forget the Eiffel Tower. :D

Smiles
January 16th, 2014, 04:12
Money! Inside a birthday card. Inside an envelope. Of a certain colour (see below)
Amount? "Up to you".

Dinner? Movie? Anything else? ... after the money envelope, not in lieu of.

anonone
January 16th, 2014, 07:20
I'd one HELL of a time finding decent cards in Pattaya - actually in one shop I asked for birthday cards and was handed a box with about 100 cards in it and every single one of them were Valetines day cards !

I found myself in a similar situation last trip. BF's sister paid a visit and I found out she had spent quite a bit of time to hand-make me a knit scarf as a New Year's present. After searching around the bookstore in TukCom in vain, I discovered that 7-11 carries packets of envelopes, suitable for money gifts. Pack of about 20, and I was able to find one with a generic enough message that it worked. Thank God (or Buddha) that they had something other than valentines day. LOL

So, once again...7-11 saves the day.

Christian. Some good ideas floated already...but really depends a lot on your relationship with this "friend". I like the idea of some genuine jeans...or other fashion clothes of his choosing. And money is always a safe bet, though the amount can be tricky.

francois
January 16th, 2014, 07:51
Christian, there is always this, especially if in 22K.

PeterUK
January 16th, 2014, 09:17
Nice one, francois. My death-warmed-up morning visage creaked into the semblance of a smile at that.

dinagam
January 16th, 2014, 09:29
Currently hovering around 1,300 baht per gram for 23 carat purity, I should think some gold will make his eyes sparkle! :D

christianpfc
January 16th, 2014, 12:07
Well, not that close. We have known each other for less than a month and met three times.

No Eiffel tower (I have one left, gold color, but not gold).

Cake is an idea (I would directly benefit from it), but poses acquisition, storage and transport problem.

I am not into clothes shopping (and it can get out of hands, money-wise).

Money in an envelope (with birthday wishes) is the best idea, I think 1000 Baht is appropriate. Now I just have to get a suitable envelope and card.

These garlands of banknotes for birthday or when collecting money in a wat, what happens to them? I never saw banknotes with holes from stapling.

Nirish guy
January 16th, 2014, 14:19
Knowing your caution not to unnecessarily overspend Christian just be aware that again depending just how much you give a damn about the guy who's birthday it is watch that by bringing and giving a sealed envelope as a gift ( which probably won't be opened there and then in front of you or anyone else perhaps) that you're not also then caught out for a "double dunter" gift requirement in that once you've having handed your envelope over that half an hour later that the guy doesn't appear with his friends at your side now wearing his money collar thing and YOU get collared and embarrassed (as the rich farang) where you are put into the position of being quietly expected to staple your second 1000 baht note ( or your first as far as the boy / the crowd is concerned as they don't know what is already inside your card of course) as to try and get away with less as you know you've already given him something will of course brand you a Cheap Charlie and could affect your evening in a very negative way - although I'm guessing that this is something you will not perhaps be too fazed about and might quite happily just be able to ignore, personally I couldn't, but that's also how know I've been caught out that way several times now where I simply have to smile and staple the new money on and think " I really will have to come up with a better plan next time, but yet never actually seem to !"

Jellybean
January 16th, 2014, 17:42
When it comes to birthday or Christmas presents Christian, instead of fretting, teeth grinding, hand-wringing, breaking into cold sweats, asking your fellow Sawatdee Network members or aimlessly wandering around shops in the hope of receiving divine inspiration. IтАЩve found the best, the easiest and the simplest solution to this perennial problem is to simply ask the person what they would like as a present. Problem solved!

Now, in the unlikely event that your friend answers, тАЬIтАЩd like a 22 carat gold Eiffel Tower please.тАЭ Then youтАЩll know for sure that, either your friend reads Sawatdee Newtwork, or he is also a friend of Francois! :)

Nirish guy
January 16th, 2014, 18:36
or he is also a friend of Francois! :)

For females so is that the french equivalent of "being a friend of Dorothy's" then perhaps ! ? :-)

Smiles
January 16th, 2014, 22:06
Knowing your caution not to unnecessarily overspend Christian just be aware that again depending just how much you give a damn about the guy who's birthday it is watch that by bringing and giving a sealed envelope as a gift ( which probably won't be opened there and then in front of you or anyone else perhaps) that you're not also then caught out for a "double dunter" gift requirement in that once you've having handed your envelope over that half an hour later that the guy doesn't appear with his friends at your side now wearing his money collar thing and YOU get collared and embarrassed (as the rich farang) where you are put into the position of being quietly expected to staple your second 1000 baht note ( or your first as far as the boy / the crowd is concerned as they don't know what is already inside your card of course) as to try and get away with less as you know you've already given him something will of course brand you a Cheap Charlie and could affect your evening in a very negative way - although I'm guessing that this is something you will not perhaps be too fazed about and might quite happily just be able to ignore, personally I couldn't, but that's also how know I've been caught out that way several times now where I simply have to smile and staple the new money on and think " I really will have to come up with a better plan next time, but yet never actually seem to !"
Not a period in sight. Stream of Consciousness can put one to sleep you know. Sometimes they never wake up ... and then what you got: an unclaimed body in a hospital morgue.

christianpfc
January 17th, 2014, 12:36
Smiles, the color of the envelope, does it have to be the color of the day the birthday is celebrated or, more likely, the color of the day my friend was born?

IтАЩve found the best, the easiest and the simplest solution to this perennial problem is to simply ask the person what they would like as a present. Problem solved!
I haven't thought about that, it appears a good idea, but then I might not like the answer!

lego
January 17th, 2014, 18:16
Maybe it's just me, but I never give money (cash) as a gift to any regular friends. And with regular friends, I mean (a) those who aren't "special" friends and (b) those whose relationship with me isn't of a commercial nature. I don't doubt that some would actually prefer cash, but it's totally against my culture, and I think that's always the greatest excuse of all, especially in Thailand. :)

Smiles
January 18th, 2014, 05:19
Maybe it's just me, but I never give money (cash) as a gift to any regular friends. And with regular friends, I mean (a) those who aren't "special" friends and (b) those whose relationship with me isn't of a commercial nature. I don't doubt that some would actually prefer cash, but it's totally against my culture, and I think that's always the greatest excuse of all, especially in Thailand
Christian said: " ... We have known each other for less than a month and met three times ... "

And Christian, regarding which colour to choose ... I'm not sure 100%. I doubt either would be thrown down a rat hole or received with a snarl ~ that would never happen ~ but I would guess that the best choice would be the colour of the day he was born.
Mr Suphot is out on a job to the airport right now, but I'll ask when gets home and let you know toot sweet.

Smiles
January 19th, 2014, 13:34
Christian
HRH says on this matter: The colour of the envelope is not especially important for birthday gifts.
However, including an envelope in his birthday colour (i.e. the day born) would be considered most thoughtful (... i.e. "thinking of him").

On the other hand, envelopes of specific colours are important for weddings, Chinese New Year, and some Buddhist ceremonies.

bidreamer
January 19th, 2014, 14:47
Smiles, the color of the envelope, does it have to be the color of the day the birthday is celebrated or, more likely, the color of the day my friend was born?

IтАЩve found the best, the easiest and the simplest solution to this perennial problem is to simply ask the person what they would like as a present. Problem solved!
I haven't thought about that, it appears a good idea, but then I might not like the answer!
I learnt quite quickly that I usually don't like the answer, since it can be very specific and the most expensive kind you can find. Such as the latest flagship model of Samsung phone, ridiculously overpriced in respect to what he would really need. In addition of exceeding what I would be ready to spend, it would also be just a silly waste of money, even though the birthday boy would have something to show off and both him and me would gain quite a bit 'face'. It seems that money gift is always very happily received, especially if accompanied with something that shows that you have thought about him...such as a handwritten birthday card in thai.
At least from my limited experience.

christianpfc
February 15th, 2014, 12:29
Update: the birthday was end of January. I couldn't be bothered to get a card or envelope in his birthday's color, I went to my 7/11 where they only had New Year's Cards, I bought the one that looked most birthday-ish, wrote some lines and put 1000 Baht in it.

I arrived at the party (Ladprao near the Mall Bangkapi) around 10:30 pm (perfect timing after seeing another friend in walking distance before) and said my wishes and handed over the envelope. I was the only farang there. The birthday boy was slightly drunk. Some small talk with other guests. I was assuming the party would take place in one of the Ramkhamhaeng 89/2 gay discos (just a few km away), but it was near the place he lives, nothing gay. A week before, I rejected an invitation to ICK by another friend (who brought other cute friends of his, as I learned later), assuming this birthday party would take place there.

Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups!

Towards midnight, my friend started drinking from pitchers and was significantly drunk, so there was nothing to gain, I said goodbye (and gave him another 500 Baht, he asked for a contribution to the party, not knowing what is in the envelope).

Altogether rather boring and a waste of money and time, but you never know if you don't try. We have been in contact on Line and will meet again some time.

February 15th, 2014, 14:02
Altogether rather boring and a waste of money and time, but you never know if you don't try.My default position on going to parties organised by young gays and lesbians of all ages is that it will always be rather boring and a waste of money and time. Inevitably friends who have gone confirm my suspicions. I have a whole host of reasons not to turn up at all, and of course these days you can organise your phone to call you 10 or 15 minutes into the party with some crisis or other to which I must attend. You should learn these techniques christianpfc.

bing
February 16th, 2014, 03:06
When I have attended a bar boys party at various bars in Pattaya, I noticed the boys wear a sort of neckless of the baht friends have given the boy,, I usually pass on 100 baht bill to the boy and a little hug or kiss, but if it is a boy you sort of like, I would think also as someone else suggested 1000 baht. As to the use of an envelope, I don't know, if the boy is going to wear the baht around his neck, the envelope is not necessary, just pass the bill on to the boy and that will be the end of it.

christianpfc
February 16th, 2014, 09:31
I have seen these necklaces of Baht on pictures. In this case, there was none I was aware of. Extrapolating his drinking, becoming totally drunk and passing out was imminent, so I didn't stay until the end of the party.

That was the first Thai boy birthday party I attended, I will think twice before I go to another.

But you never know: gay Thai boys have gay Thai boy friends, and you might hook up with another guest. However in this case, there wasn't even eye candy among the other guests.

christianpfc
February 22nd, 2014, 20:51
Saw the birthday boy again on Thursday night. Maybe you find this entertaining or interesting:

He thanked me for the card, showed it to me (it might have gotten lost at the party, you never know) and thanked me for the note (1000 Baht) I put in (someone else could have taken it while he was drunk, I don't remember if I sealed the envelope), which helped pay for the party. He said it the cost was about 10,000 Baht, and he had to borrow money from friends to pay for everything. Good for me to leave early, I certainly do not want to be around when the birthday boy realizes that he doesn't have enough money to pay for the party.

We went for a meal and and then to a friend's room where gambling took place. Poker (as far as I can tell), there were about 4,000 Baht on the floor or in hands (2*1000, 1*500, many 100s and 20s as far as I could see). How do students have so much money? At least one of them works in Nana, that might explain it.

They were not aware that I understand some Thai, and whenever such a situation occurs, I just sit quietly and listen, you learn much more when they don't know you understand about half of it. Frequent use of swear words (e-dook tong, goo, mueng). My friend did not take part in the gambling, finally one of the others said something like "What are you waiting for? Go fucking!", followed by "does the Farang understand Thai?"

So we went to another room and undressed. However I was not in the mood, and his attempt to sit on my dick without condom and with me being only semi-hard didn't make it better. So finally both of us wanked. From nipple play, I my left nipple is still reddish and sensitive to touch (T-shirt, water in shower).

My friend T has been locked out of his room by his landlord, because his co-habitant embezzled T's part of the rent and (I don't know what, T's money is gone and the rent hasn't been paid and he is locked out), so now he stays with friends.

About 5 minutes after I had left the room, on the road waiting for a taxi, I receive a message on Line that he has no money and if I can help him. That's very poor timing, makes it so easy for me to say I am already on my way home.

On the way to T, and on the way back, I walked past a cute boy (waiter/doorman at a bar?) who smiled at me, and on the way back we even got into chatting when a female co-worker of his invited me into the bar. However I didn't ask for name or phone number. Someone has to slap me for missing this chance (and other chances, I am totally inapt in this aspect). But there is a happy ending: the following day, I got a message from him on Grindr!

lego
February 23rd, 2014, 14:25
Right, there always seems to be enough money for gambling (cards, football [soccer] bets or the infamous underground lottery) and booze. Amazing.

scottish-guy
February 23rd, 2014, 18:26
Lego, that's the same almost the world over - don't be amazed.

February 24th, 2014, 03:28
About 5 minutes after I had left the room, on the road waiting for a taxi, I receive a message on Line that he has no money and if I can help him!According to my friends with Thai "companions" that's absolutely typical Thai behavior.