PDA

View Full Version : Doing more in Bangkok and having more fun + trip report

tom traveller
January 13th, 2014, 05:09
Hi all,

My first post but I've been reading the board on and off for four years or so, and have been to Thailand about six times over the last decade. Will be there again in 2014.

UK discreet professional guy mid 30s in shape go to BKK for a mix of business and pleasure, i'm top/vers, like asian twinks of course but also westerners. easy going so get in touch if u like.

I guess I want to have more fun! not just Babylon but more experiences i can't get elsewhere... also would like to meet BKK expats into the same stuff as this board :), good (value) restaurants, street food, hot sex and massages, culture, ... be more social whereas i'm usually solo traveller who doesn't meet up with people enough.

Brief trip report here of bits from the last few trips, unsolicited but i'd be so interested in any replies and advice. thanks.

- Babylon is fun... like to wear a speedo under the towel, sit on the loungers by the pool, read for a while and ogle the eye candy... the coconut shakes are so good and maybe an occasional beer. I am average build usually but tend to diet in the spring so am slim and smooth. Haven't had any trouble meeting guys there. Have met some really nice types - one from singapore on holiday, one from philippines on holiday, some educated Thai guys... good chats over a drink and often fun after, and a couple of times walk back to my hotel for sleep and more fun in the morning. One or two are on touch on email.
Best sauna I have ever been to... love the decoration and ambience. All is civilised, clean, good value. I always have a massage,just an oil one for an hour, prefer no hanky panky, just quite hard pressure. I can't help getting hard though sometimes, but part of the fun.

- Tried Grindr last visit (Sep 13) which i dont do at home. Amazing - loads and loads of guys on there. with some filtering there are nice guys and cute. Love that it is location based and so u can even find guys in same hotel, altho chances are they are not my type or age range. i met a cute HK boy age 24, went for a drink and he came back to my hotel, the Ambassador, more below about the hotel. Hot fun :) he was twinky btm and i am more top so we enjoyed ourselves in the traditional way... (i fucked him in every possible way) happy face

Never sat down at Telephone, Balcony etc - advice please! Happy to chat to boys and expats to see where it leads..

Restaurants - i am far too conservative, rarely try street food but want to, splash too much money on indian curry or italian food eg 750-1000B which might be ok value in UK but is too much in BKK. My fave place tho is the Bee Garden Cafe under the Skytrain at the corner between Chong Nonsi and Sala Daeng.
Can be a bit hot but fans, lights, ice cold beers, extensive menu and very tasty thai food. I like the soups, curries, sometimes seafood, free peanuts :) and the banter of the owner and his waiters, who know me by sight now. I always am reading (a book not the tablet) and he asks what it is sometimes. He remembered what i had been reading last year. Is 70-100B for large beer I think, 100-200B for food dishes which are large and one with rice is plenty for a meal. You watch the world go by - traffic, sky trains, tourists... Before or after I wander through the street market towards Sala Daeng. Occasional DVD I can't resist; I marvel at the sex toys they have and am amused/alarmed by the tourist families with children who pass them... Mummy, what's that pink thing for?

Recommend Luigi's near Asok BTS - cosy, delicious Italian food. Also I've had some great dishes at various places in Siam Square Paragon Food Mall. I know it's a tourist trap with high prices for BKK but I can't believe the range. There was a good Indian near Asok on Sukh Road, south side, in 2009-2012 but i could not find it in 2013. any ideas or recommendations for indian restaurants?

I've had good Thai curries and beers on those market streets between the river and Khao San Road - not sure what they are called. Great value, good people watching, free wifi. u know the places?

Please recommend (a) safe tasty fun street food places where I can sit and read and try a variety of things (not the small stools, proper chair!)
(b) any other good value non-Thai restaurants in the centre-ish
(c) maybe even places where i can start chatting to fellow diners : ) or cute boys : ) i'm quite sociable, promise

Hotels
- Ambassador, I really like. Yes it's a bit fading and not trendy but it's huge, good value, good wifi (Tower block only), nice pool, OK gym, anonymous - can bring joiners no probs. Great location - soi 11, Sukhumvit, with supermarket 50m away and great nightlife nr soi 11 - the cocktail buses are fun, and quite lethal! Aussie bar, Thai food, good laundry, travel agent, two Indians, diner just a few steps away in the soi, and Nana BTS is under 200m away.
- Trinity Glow Silom was good, nice rooftop pool. Heritage on same soi Convent (?) was fine too
- have not tried apartment yet - would you recommend? I tend to stay for 7-10 days at a time with a week away elsewhere in Asia between

BTS
- love it. use it all the time. Metro also. and airport link is excellent.

Massages
- Bablyon ones are the best real massages i've had
- went to Banana about four years ago... fun but in the end the boy said i was too big and could not take it... :- (
- Hero have been to once, fine I think and i got to top the boy : )
- i really want a good thorough physical thai massage (no ending) but also separately sometimes up for a fun one with a cute boy. ive never had four hands so would like to try that.
any recommendations?

Pattaya
- stayed for three days in 2012. enjoyed but didn't seem the pleasure paradise i had heard about! i prob didn't know where to go. This was pre Grindr
obvs lots of expats around, which is cool but i didn't get to chat to any. could go again this year... u recommend?

Koh Samui
- love this island and go for 4-7 days when i can. no fun* but just relaxation, beach, coconuts, hiring a moped and zipping aroudn the island... bliss
*except one night i had this 20ish boy called Am who worked in a gay bar on the main strip in Chaweng. Fun..
This is all i can remember at the moment but all feedback welcome

also into 2nd hand bookshops (Sukhm and Khao San Rd good for these), dinner parties, conversation, drinks, fun... get in touch if you like

And thanks for running the board - has been interesting and useful advice for me over last few trips.

tom

christianpfc
January 13th, 2014, 15:01
Thanks for your report. Interesting!

Never sat down at Telephone, Balcony etc - advice please! Happy to chat to boys and expats to see where it leads..
In my opinion, you don't miss much. Many Farang, few Thai boys, even fewer of them cute, and if cute then in company of a Farang. Loud music, smokers outside. I just stroll through the soi for a confirmation of these findings. About once per month I go with a friend, mainly to get my hands on new editions of gay magazines, even that was a complete failure last time.

Thai street food? Anywhere/everywhere!

I like 2nd hand bookshops too, same for Italian food (about once or twice a week I need something different from Thai food every day).

January 13th, 2014, 17:01
In my opinion, you don't miss much. Many Farang, few Thai boys, even fewer of them cute, and if cute then in company of a Farang.You're just not paying attention Christian. The OP made it quite clear he's interested in Europeans as much as Thais for sex.
'm top/vers, like asian twinks of course but also westerners. easy going so get in touch if u likeJust because you're a confirmed rice queen who's jealous that any good looking Thai boy in Soi 4 is already taken, that's not a reason to project your inadequacies onto others whose diet is more varied - and who may simply want the company and conversation of other Westerners.

tom traveller
January 13th, 2014, 21:10
Hey guys play nicely - don't get into a fight on my account!

Thanks for the replies and feedback.

I know street food everywhere but any tips about particular places or dishes to try. Mark Weans does great YouTube vids on Thai street food which is inspiring me to try it this year, but not those odd sausage and fish balls!

Yes, I like westerners as well as orientals - depends on age, build and not least personality and conversations.

More feedback everyone please. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Tom

christianpfc
January 13th, 2014, 22:02
and who may simply want the company and conversation of other Westerners.

If you call shouting at each other "conversation", then welcome to Soi 4! But why come to Thailand if you want "company and conversation of other Westerners"?

(But to be fair, you are right, I projected too much of my own preferences in the op's posts.)

catawampuscat
January 14th, 2014, 11:55
Written like an old hand in the gay Thailand forums. Always welcome fresh reports and
hopefully Tom will feel welcome here and continue posting..

focusedinthai
January 14th, 2014, 12:41
Actually - Soi 4 is also quite the place for couples. Before we moved to Khon Kaen, my boyfriend and I lived in a condo on Silom Soi 3 for about 15 months. We frequently went to Soi 4, as it seems to be a bit more 'sophisticated' than other gay venues in Bangkok. Yes - I put 'sophisticated' in quotes, because I realize it isn't perfect. But - on Soi 4 one is much more likely to meet more intellectual Thais who actually have a clue about life than the average Thai boy who does not. Just my opinion, I realize, but Soi 4 is certainly a more relaxed place to sit with people and have a normal conversation than simply sitting in a beer or go-go bar night after night comparing stories about cock size. Now, I love cocks as much as the next gay, but at some point it is nice to have a conversation that doesn't revolve solely around 'what you can do?' or 'I top you, ok?'. Soi 4 is just the right place on many occasions.

Cheers -

Jason

and who may simply want the company and conversation of other Westerners.

If you call shouting at each other "conversation", then welcome to Soi 4! But why come to Thailand if you want "company and conversation of other Westerners"?

(But to be fair, you are right, I projected too much of my own preferences in the op's posts.)

catawampuscat
January 14th, 2014, 14:56
Actually - Soi 4 is also quite the place for couples. Before we moved to Khon Kaen, my boyfriend and I lived in a condo on Silom Soi 3 for about 15 months.

Would love to hear about life in Khon Kaen.. In the city or a village?
A little background and current situation would be enlightening .

focusedinthai
January 14th, 2014, 15:15
My Pleasure - and thanks for asking. We live in the city, but in a nice little section of it. We live in a neighborhood by one of the 3 lakes in the city. We've been in Khon Kaen for going on 5 years and I love it - wouldn't live anywhere else, and we explored lots of options. Life here is slower paced, but not like village life. Also, Khon Kaen is growing extremely quickly, so the small city feel is certainly going to be gone in a few years, but it is nice to see a bit of progress being made in Thailand. The weather here is nice, the floods do not hit this region, and gays are more and more accepted as a whole. My boyfriend and I have loads of straight couple friends (Farang husband/Thai wife) and we have been fully accepted - no issues at all. The political strife that hits central Thailand does not affect us here. When we want to be in Bangkok for a bit of excitement, we catch a short 40 minute flight - and we go about once a month. Any other more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Jason

Actually - Soi 4 is also quite the place for couples. Before we moved to Khon Kaen, my boyfriend and I lived in a condo on Silom Soi 3 for about 15 months.

Would love to hear about life in Khon Kaen.. In the city or a village?
A little background and current situation would be enlightening .

January 14th, 2014, 16:08
But why come to Thailand if you want "company and conversation of other Westerners"?That's a rather bizarre misinterpretation. I don't believe anyone suggests going to Thailand in order to enjoy the company and conversation of other Westerners. I go to Thailand in order to fuck boys. However I have no interest in the conversation of Thais so I seek out the company and conversation of other Westerners in between fucks. As for whether it's possible to have a conversation in Soi 4 - since by your own admission you pass through as quickly and as infrequently as possibly I'd suggest you are showing your famous prejudice once again.

And no, Trongpai, I've previously said you are beneath my contempt so I won't even be opening your PM to me headed "Meeting?".

thaiguest
January 14th, 2014, 16:29
Hey guys play nicely - don't get into a fight on my account!

Thanks for the replies and feedback.

I know street food everywhere but any tips about particular places or dishes to try. Mark Weans does great YouTube vids on Thai street food which is inspiring me to try it this year, but not those odd sausage and fish balls!

Yes, I like westerners as well as orientals - depends on age, build and not least personality and conversations.

More feedback everyone please. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Tom

Thanks for your report; the food part has me drooling already.
I often try street food but always uneasily simply because the plates, bowls, spoons, forks and chop sticks are used over and over again and are washed in cold water mostly WITHOUT bleach as far as I can see.
Thus street food venders Thai style are in the business of feeding you with a lot more than nourishment. I can't think of a cheaper and easier way to pick every known and yet unknown germ.

christianpfc
January 15th, 2014, 11:08
As for whether it's possible to have a conversation in Soi 4 - since by your own admission you pass through as quickly and as infrequently as possibly I'd suggest you are showing your famous prejudice once again.
You got that wrong. I pass through as slowly as possible (to see if there are cute Thai boy or if I recognize Farang friends) and as frequently as possible (on average once per week). But I don't sit down and order a drink, as there is nothing that appeals to me, in fact loud music and cigarette smoke deter me.

I have to say the music situation has improved. Last time I went with a friend, we could talk normally for half an hour, until ForFun started their band. So unless you are sitting opposite ForFun (or even in ForFun!), you can have a normal conversation. But half a year ago, every bar was playing their own music trying to be louder than their neighbor.

I often try street food but always uneasily simply because the plates, bowls, spoons, forks and chop sticks are used over and over again and are washed in cold water mostly WITHOUT bleach as far as I can see.
I have never seen bleach used to wash eating utensils anywhere. But they use dishwasher (I saw the bottles and the foam in the dishwater). I eat streetfood daily without problems.

thaiguest
January 16th, 2014, 16:55
As for whether it's possible to have a conversation in Soi 4 - since by your own admission you pass through as quickly and as infrequently as possibly I'd suggest you are showing your famous prejudice once again.
You got that wrong. I pass through as slowly as possible (to see if there are cute Thai boy or if I recognize Farang friends) and as frequently as possible (on average once per week). But I don't sit down and order a drink, as there is nothing that appeals to me, in fact loud music and cigarette smoke deter me.

I have to say the music situation has improved. Last time I went with a friend, we could talk normally for half an hour, until ForFun started their band. So unless you are sitting opposite ForFun (or even in ForFun!), you can have a normal conversation. But half a year ago, every bar was playing their own music trying to be louder than their neighbor.

I have never seen bleach used to wash eating utensils anywhere. But they use dishwasher (I saw the bottles and the foam in the dishwater). I eat streetfood daily without problems.

So far I've had no sickness either but if the BKK food sellers are right then all the food hygiene people are fools to be following their chosen careers.
I've googled for the following info;

The FDA in the US recommends as a minimum the following washing steps to avoid E.Coli, and Samonolla in particular-

Scrub dishes and cutlery in soapy hot water at a minimum of an uncomfortable 110 f. (43 c. in the real world).
Rinse in clean water.
Soak in a sanitzer which may contain bleach, ammonium, certain acids etc.

To be fair I see that Ohio State Uni have come up with new types of sanitizers which allow for a cooler 1st wash.

From this I don't think the fast turnover of dishes etc in Bangkok streets and the washing method used is safe. Outside of the germs mentioned there are other unpleasant mouth and throat conditions...I better stop.

dab69
January 16th, 2014, 22:11
so we all soak our dishes in sanitizer at home?
no we have sanitizing dishwasher cycles.

to check temps you can buy the new FLIR iPhone attachment
only $350

http://www1.flircs.com/flirone/

also good for those "skin temperature" tests

what about those geese hanging on the food carts all day in the sun?

thaiguest
January 17th, 2014, 02:34
so we all soak our dishes in sanitizer at home?
no we have sanitizing dishwasher cycles.

to check temps you can buy the new FLIR iPhone attachment
only $350

http://www1.flircs.com/flirone/

also good for those "skin temperature" tests

what about those geese hanging on the food carts all day in the sun?

The guidelines apply to restaurants but could be applied to home also; I assume that samonella is not fussy about the locations of opportunity.
The 'uncomfortable' high water temperature refers to hand washing thus dishwashers are the better and safer option but I've yet to see one on a Thai street.
I've never seen a goose hanging on the food carts but have seen many ducks and chickens and I suggest that the buyer beware.

christianpfc
January 17th, 2014, 12:51
Ladies, as I said before, over sanitizing makes you more susceptible to germs and diseases. If the Thais eat there and don't get sick, then I will eat there too. (I have to admit I got sick a few times, but now my body has adapted.)

When I was a child, I played in mud and it had no negative effect.

lego
January 17th, 2014, 18:18
I can only agree with christianpfc, I have yet to die from food poisoning in Thailand. Chances are it's more likely that a truck or a Ferrari will run me over.

thaiguest
January 18th, 2014, 01:46
I can only agree with christianpfc, I have yet to die from food poisoning in Thailand. Chances are it's more likely that a truck or a Ferrari will run me over.

You and christianfeck are being a little bit feckless. You probably won't get Salmonella from eating mud anyway but now that you've moved to eating food you might.
Salmonella is the leading cause of food related hospitalizations and death in the USA according to the FDA. Salmonellosis kills 350 people each year in the USA.
If you guys have relevant figures for Thailand I'd like to see them.

scottish-guy
January 18th, 2014, 02:21
... I have yet to die from food poisoning in Thailand.....

You don't say!

:))

lego
January 18th, 2014, 14:01
My point, in case someone has missed it, was that eating unsanitary food doesn't seem to be one of the major hazards in Thailand, although appearances might be different when looking at the way dish washing is performed and such.

All these years I've been living in Thailand, I've been seeing locals having all kinds of diseases and accidents, sometimes dying as a result, but most of the time recovering from them - not even in a single instance, food was to blame.

So my assumption (!) is that most foreigners who get sick from eating (street food in particular) in Thailand are simply not used to the germs found here, while most of these germs are quite harmless. I'm not eating a lot of street food, but I'm not kidding myself: most kitchens in more upscale eateries are probably just as unsanitary.

RonanTheBarbarian
January 19th, 2014, 05:57
Hi Tom

Nice first post.

I too like perusing second-hand bookshops in Thailand, two of the best are probably the Thais4life bookshop in Pattaya and the Dasa book cafe in Bangkok.

As it happens, the Bangkokbois blog had a posting on the Dasa Book Cafe just this week.

http://bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.co ... -about-it/ (http://bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com/2014/01/14/reading-all-about-it/)

The Dasa Bookshop could probably do with some custom this week as it is quite close to the Asoke intersection.

Hope to see more postings from you!

tom traveller
January 20th, 2014, 02:58
hi thanks,

yes, i went to the Dasa book cafe on Sukhumvit, some way down i remember, between two BTS stops. Liked very much - amazing selection, quite high prices for second hand books (same or above UK i think) but i bought some. Limit is the suitcase weight on way home!

I also like the one nr Khao San road, on way to river, and there is a good one on Khao San road itself.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone - I will write a trip report live this time (summer 2014) - or aim to - and I'd be keen to meet any board posters who know BKK better (or maybe Pattaya if I head over for 2-3 days).

I will be more explicit about my experiences :) I was a bit shy posting my first account, perhaps.

Any questions, get in touch. I am a bit worried by the protests but may book soon and hope that it is all over by the summer.

latintopxxx
February 3rd, 2014, 00:03
I can definitely relate to Tom's need to chat with foreigners; I really enjoy Thais sexually, as in really enjoy, but intellectually find them boring...and before u all get upset, I know that its my fault and its because I prefer to mix with the low end part of Thai society. Chatting with other foreigners can be fun...and I even pick up tips from long term residents .