PDA

View Full Version : Good vBulletin Board

elephantspike
January 11th, 2014, 07:56
This is one of the best vBulletin sites I've seen yet:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Good example to build your gay Vancouver site from.

Surfcrest
January 11th, 2014, 09:16
I certainly like the look, the tool bars are a little weird though.
Would be possible to substitute the slide show with an actual video clip?
I don't think I've ever seen that, outside of a commercial clip.

What is your opinion of the facebook / twitter / Google buttons and this Google Maps question?
I know it's a big step towards modernization, but I'm not sure our current membership would embrace it.
A new audience might and so would this be a corner we'd be turning..the chance to take.

Once this project is complete, I'll have the time to work on the Gay Vancouver idea.
I'd like to at least try working with the platform to see if it would ever work for our purposes.
Would our server support a vBulletin site or two?

elephantspike
January 12th, 2014, 11:06
I'm sure you can feature a video on the front page using vBulletin. That's very standard functionality.

The social media buttons and Google apps are Wordpress plugins and do not appear directly on the forum anyway so the fuddy-duddy types would probably not even notice them.

We can fit lots of sites on this server. It makes no difference if its vBulletin, PhpBB, or Wordpress or whatever- The only limits are the overall amount of bandwidth and diskspace on the server- not the number of sites or the format of the software the sites are on- and the amount of bandwidth and diskspace on the server is really high and can even be increased if needed.

I'm actually looking forward to playing with the vBulletin- I just gave-up on trying to convert this PhpBB to vBulletin. It was the converter that I found flawed, not the vBulletin software.

Also another setup we can experiment with for another site is a WP with a BBpress forum- that's the forum plugin that is pretty much made for WP.