PDA

View Full Version : What did you buy your boyfriend for Christmas?

Surfcrest
December 28th, 2013, 01:49
We all have our own different arrangements with our boyfriends, whether theyтАЩre Thai or from the same countryтАжor maybe you donтАЩt have a boyfriend, perhaps heтАЩs just an acquaintance or some fun between the sheets. Did you buy him anything for Christmas?

My partner and I both live in Vancouver, except we live in our own separate places in different parts of the city. When we started out, I think the first gift I ever bought him for Christmas was a pair of gloves. Somewhere after that, he started telling me what to buy him for Christmas and for the most part it has been some electronic device or another. Today it was an iPad mini, to go with his iPod Touch and the iPhone numbers thereтАЩs ever been and his Mac Book and his iPad(s)тАж. The best reception for any of the gifts that I bought him was from the pair of gloves. I laughed when I first started noticing bar boys down at the beach with their iPadтАЩs. Now itтАЩs something I see a lot of people doing, farangs included.

When I started going to Thailand many years ago, the first boy I fell for brought me to a jeweller in Bangkok and had me buy him a huge gold braceletтАжwhich was long gone only a year later. I bought him a motorcycle the next year in a fit of careless spending, a gift that came to end our brief long distance relationship and one that changed his life forever after that too.

I hear all sorts of fantastic stories down at the beach or over dinner with friends of some of the things done for their Thai boyfriends for Christmas.

What did you do?

Surfcrest

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/IMG_0978.jpg

Smiles
December 28th, 2013, 04:50
Turning it around: Mr Suphot's christmas present to me was 4 large bottles of Leo Beer ~ oh so romantic is he, but he knows me well :D ~ nicely wrapped up in a festive cardboard sarong on which was plastered Leo Beer's advertising logo ~ a tiger!??! (obviously Latin is not the Thai's forte) ~ and a sprinkling of holly leaves (they got that right at least). A card as well.

Me? I forgot ....

Sooty
December 28th, 2013, 05:55
I understood traditional gift giving in Thailand is at New Year???

francois
December 28th, 2013, 06:07
A good bottle of red wine and a corkscrew. Plus 6 pairs of jeans; denim jacket and a very nice windbreaker. All sent by private courier. A pair of gloves would have been a welcome addition considering the cold weather. :x

Smiles
December 28th, 2013, 07:09
The topic is about two cultures, not one.
Thus, from a Thai's point of view at least ("mercenary-accommodating-yet-endearing"), he thrives on having a double-banger gift-producing orgy ... rather than just one. :ymparty:
Get it?

Sooty
December 28th, 2013, 09:40
The topic is about two cultures, not one.Oh dear I seem to have missed that point altogether. I read it as imposing the Western culture in an imperialist way upon other cultures.

Smiles
December 28th, 2013, 11:29
Finally! Confession is always good for the soul.

Mancs
December 28th, 2013, 17:27
I make it four gifting opportunities. Xmas, new year, chinese new year, Thai new year.

AsiaGuys
December 29th, 2013, 06:57
Thai guys love gold, gold and more gold.. lol

Sooty
December 29th, 2013, 09:58
Finally! Confession is always good for the soul.LOL - you really should shoot yourself in the head per your avatar Smiles if you missed that irony.

Smiles
December 29th, 2013, 14:27
The 'irony' score so far is:

Sooty = 2.5 (marginal at .5 because owner ~ Sooty ~ didn't know he was actually being ironic)

Smiles = 2 (could have been 3 but the owner ~ Smiles ~ got mixed up with too many flying ironies, and thus, ironically forgot it.

Sooty, did you know that there is in fact a Smilie for irony somewhere in that big mess of faces over to the right when you are writing a response. Why don't you take a browse through them and find it ... then you can put up a smilie when you write something ironic. Just so everyone knows.

PS ... I'm now in the know regarding Pa Kettle. Missed that one completely (perhaps because it wasn't ironic?). And I do like it ... halfway to LM as it is.
My head shall remain intact, awaiting heavier issues but thanks for the invitation, anyway.

francois
December 30th, 2013, 00:11
Another perfectly good topic derailed. :-T

Smiles
December 30th, 2013, 01:44
Another perfectly good topic derailed. :-T
Not really Francois ... it is simply the way message board topics tend to weave about, up and down, sideways, in and out, all over the map: somewhat akin to normal human conversation, original thoughts get lost in the un-weaving.
Frankly, I think this convoluted dynamic to be one of the precious and weird joys of message board participation, and I hope it will continue in that vein forever. (Right, jinks?)

francois
December 30th, 2013, 04:47
Sidetracking a topic, especially after running its course , is different than derailing a topic from the very beginning. Possibly another reason for people not posting?