PDA

View Full Version : Just me, or is it cold this year?

cdnmatt
December 21st, 2013, 23:55
Is it just me, or is Thailand cold this year around? It's 1am right now, and only about +12C. Yes, yes, I know... back in say Alberta, Canada it gets down to like -26C at night, but nonetheless, this quite cold for Thailand. Anyone else feeling the chills this year? I don't think I've ever experienced Thailand this cold before.

whitemouse
December 22nd, 2013, 04:25
These last four days have been colder than any time that ive spent here.
First time ever I feel the need to have long sleeve coat here.

It has been very very cold these past few days.

whitemouse
December 22nd, 2013, 04:30
It was +19 the other night in Pattaya. In 10 years it hasnt been this cold here, not even close.

whitemouse
December 22nd, 2013, 04:34
Cdmatt, I beg you, get away from places like Newfoundland, Alberta and couple of other god forsaken places. In Canada, to only options are Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal.

Please dont live in Alberta!

:)

Marsilius
December 22nd, 2013, 05:10
When you are out in direct sunlight, it feels quite warm as usual. But if you are in shade, the brisk breeze (10 mph yesterday) brings with it that dreaded "wind chill factor" so that it actually feels quite uncomfortable, for instance, on Dongtan Beach. I actually felt like a pair of gloves would be a good idea the other day, and it's amazing to see so many Thai people wearing long sleeves, jumpers, or even coats at this time of year.

lonelywombat
December 22nd, 2013, 05:24
I do not think it is much colder than going back a few years. I stopped coming at in November December when I found motor cycle boys were wearing 3 shirts. That surprised me but most do not own jumpers. Cool for me chilly for others.

Long sleeve shirts and trousers were necessary at night time. I seem to recall that mosquitoes were a problem then . I know that many nights I came home with mozzie bites. We used to blame the Sunee pool for those.

Here at home we have had some very hot days in Australia. 41degrees here with higher in Adelaide and Sydney this weekend.

After Thursdays heat the "coolness" of Pattaya sounds attractive. But the UK and US, will give them a miss.

Sooty
December 22nd, 2013, 10:07
I blame global warming

BonTong
December 22nd, 2013, 10:32
It's dropped down to 10 Degrees at night in Chiang Mai this week, Thai's are all dressed in Puffa jackets looking somewhere between an eskimo and the Michelin man!

More here:

Gay in Chiang Mai - Dreaming of a white Christmas? (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2013/dreaming-white-christmas/)

lego
December 22nd, 2013, 12:05
Here in Bangkok, I'd say it hasn't been that cold since the 2010/2011 "winter".

Bobett
December 22nd, 2013, 20:05
Yes I think it is colder than last year.I have no fans on in the apartment and have been sleping under a duvet.(its cheaper than having a boy to keep you warm every night). :))

cdnmatt
December 22nd, 2013, 20:53
Yes I think it is colder than last year.I have no fans on in the apartment and have been sleping under a duvet.

Yeah, same. No fans, definitely no AC, etc. I think the coldest I remember it before was +16C during early morning. This year though it's getting around +11C at night.

Oh well, look at the bright side. Cheap electricity bill this coming month, that's for sure. :)

anonone
December 22nd, 2013, 21:43
Certainly seems cold up near Udon Thani.

When on webcam with BF this week, whole family was under a mound of quilts while watching TV. BF was sporting a fuzzy turban looking thing on his head, and actually looked rather dashing on him. Damn Thai boys can make anything look fashionable. LOL

christianpfc
December 23rd, 2013, 10:24
You are right.

Two years ago, I was in Pattaya at midnight on the beach and there was a breeze, and I thought "now the temperature is perfect".

This month, I felt slightly chilly several times in the afternoon in the shade.

The Thais are donning long-long (long trousers and long sleeves), dogs get dressed in T-shirts, at night mocy drivers and construction workers light open fires to warm their hands. Just two weeks ago everything was as usual, and one week ago it quickly changed. Now you see Thais during daytime dressed long-long, and even I dress in long trousers.

pong
December 23rd, 2013, 13:29
Around Loy Kratong they start setting up those stalls with cheap (100-I got a nice one with emblem for 79 bt) 2nd hand Korean jackets.
And since nearly a week now it is indeed pretty cold here mornings in BKK-untill by 10/11 the sun warms it up. All those 100.000s of protesters having to stay overnight on the streets.....brrrr.
Remember quite well 1st arrival in Chmai-also december many moons ago, when everyone was out in double/triple jackets and gloves etc. For the Thai drop from 30 to 20 is same as for westerner from 20 to 10 degr.

dab69
December 25th, 2013, 10:07
not as cold as canada here but close. in fahrenheit degrees(-15) last
night was 47 degrees below freezing point of water
ooh ooh did a conversion -26.111C

do try and carry on there :)

Up2U
December 25th, 2013, 11:30
I have been coming to Pattaya for 15 years and have been a resident for 4. This is the coldest it has been here. Few boys come to beach because it is cool and those that do wear shorts, tee shirts or light jackets. A few masseurs told me customers ended massage prematurely because they were cold. I haven't run a/c for 3 nights now. Tourists from cold climates seem ok though.

marti
December 28th, 2013, 17:35
Here in Bangkok, I'd say it hasn't been that cold since the 2010/2011 "winter".
I don't remember it being that cool in that time but I absolutely love this cool weather. Wish it was this way every day of the year.

AsiaGuys
December 29th, 2013, 06:56
42 C last week in Adelaide and today just 20 C

cdnmatt
December 30th, 2013, 03:37
Yep, I can confidently say it's bloody cold this year.

I feel sorry for the old Thai grandmas in the villages. The old bitties must be absolutely freezing. I may not have triple pane windows, a furnace, or under floor heating, but at least I have walls.

And whoever offers central heating installation in Thailand is probably in for a good 2014. I would imagine there's more than one father in Thailand right now who has decided this is the last year them and their family are going to be cold during the winter months.

catawampuscat
December 30th, 2013, 09:22
Warmer this morning than it has been in last ten days or so. Maybe fairer to say
less cool. Still quite brisk but noticeably warmer..this is in Pattaya

loke
December 31st, 2013, 01:04
I love it! The cold weather . Now I can do all my outdoor activities without sweating , I use my bicycle a lot , it's good excercise. I just hope it will last for weeks , I am not looking forward to April .

bkkmfj2648
December 31st, 2013, 07:29
14 degrees here in Chiang Mai at 8am. Low was down to 11 and expected high for today is 26 and very sunny with blue skies.
at night you need a light jacket or sweatshirt. However, if you are cruising around on a mocy then a heavier jacket is required.

lonelywombat
December 31st, 2013, 07:41
That is warm for Chiang Mai for Xmas. I cancelled a holiday at Xmas a dozen or more years ago, when it snowed in CM