PDA

View Full Version : Reducing air tickets

June 11th, 2006, 06:49
Airline tickets are getting a little cheaper with the main airlines towards the end of August. A few weeks ago, some of the main major airlines were wanting 800 odd pounds to fly to Bkk and KL and Singapore. Singapore are offering bkk for 529 on ebookers now and even Thai is 612. Obviously they must realise that people won't pay those sort of prices, especially when they consider it is out of season in the far east.

June 11th, 2006, 07:14
I'd have thought even a clapped-out FX trader would realise that airlines these days have tools that help them manage seat demand and concommitant pricing

June 11th, 2006, 12:42
airlines could reduce seat prices further by selling the drinks on board.......................... since they stopped people smoking i cant drink as it makes me want to smoke even more. Im sure a lot of people just drink because its free.

June 11th, 2006, 13:00
airlines could reduce seat prices further by selling the drinks on board.......................... since they stopped people smoking i cant drink as it makes me want to smoke even more. Im sure a lot of people just drink because its free.

Not sure by how much you could reduce ticket prices by selling drinks, but if the present 'giveaway' of drinks is calculated into ticket cost I wouldn't mind them being sold. I never drink when flying anyway as it just makes me dehydrated, restless and grumpy, so why should I have drink giveaways factored into the ticket price?

June 11th, 2006, 16:54
so why should I have drink giveaways factored into the ticket price?

exactly................. only water should be free..............other drinks should be ┬г3 a go...they should also consider 1 free meal only..pay for second if u want it. They could raise a few thousand this way and save money by not having so many stewardesses who spend most of their time giving out free drinks and doing practically nothing else.

If they could build a small smoking room/cabin and charge ┬г5-10 a smoke they would make an absolute fortune lol

June 11th, 2006, 19:16
I'd have thought even a clapped-out FX trader would realise that airlines these days have tools that help them manage seat demand and concommitant pricing

what's up hom, u realised u aint gorgeous any more or someat!!!

On BBC News 24 airlines are going to introduce a system which will tell the public when it is the best to purchase tickets. For example, one can not really book their tickets 6 months before they fly, so a system is going to be introduced whereby airlines will somehow say when tickets will be cheaper or more expensive, I'm sure there is something similar in place now, and could be more of an upgrade and probably on available to the airlines, well now its the public.

June 11th, 2006, 21:31
airlines could reduce seat prices further by selling the drinks on board.......................... since they stopped people smoking i cant drink as it makes me want to smoke even more. Im sure a lot of people just drink because its free.I'm told that on United you can't get alcoholic drinks in Economy any more and they haven't dropped the prices. Why should they pass their savings on to the customer?

dab69
June 11th, 2006, 22:12
read United raising prices

all this charging for drinks is not likely to make passengers too happy.
wasn't TWA charging rent for headphones near the end?
who is gonna drink the wines @ $5 a little bottle

June 12th, 2006, 09:38
I'm told that on United you can't get alcoholic drinks in Economy any more..

Methinks you've been told wrong. On trans-pacific and intra-asia flights, United still has a full selection of soft drinks, mixed drinks, beer, wine, coffee, tea, etc for FREE.

Domestically (intra-USA) and OTHER international markets (trans-atlantic, South America) they also still have a full selection of drinks, but alcohol drinks are US$5.

As far as fare increasse, it's kind of a dance between carriers in the USA. Since they cannot "collude" with each other, one carrier will propose a fare increase to see if others match it. Oddly enough, it's often Northwest that does NOT match an increase, and the others have to draw back. I say odd because NW is perhaps in the most precarious financial condition of all the US carriers, but yet they help prevent revenue increases.

catawampuscat
June 12th, 2006, 13:20
I was finalizing a roundtrip ticket from the USA to BKK and decided to check on the Thai Air non stop 17 hr. from NYC to BKK.. My agent gave me a
price just over a $1000. US and I said great and she great oops!! that is for an August departure and not the July departure I needed..For the July date
the Thai Air non stop was about $400 US more than the August price and I passed but will try again next time... Maybe some good prices in August..

June 12th, 2006, 17:45
I cant understand what is off peak with regard to these airlines, it is certainly off peak in Asia at the moment but peak in the UK. At some point a few weeks ago the main airlines were expensive. There are very few times in the year now when they are reduced and if so reduced only a certain amount. Singapore Airlines started cheap flights a few weeks ago, now I have noticed a few other airlines have followed suit.

June 12th, 2006, 18:57
I have found that the trick with Thia flight out of New York is to make reservations 3 months in advance. ( unless it is over New Years holliday ) Also if you talk to Thia directley try calling Star Tours 323 644 1063 . Several times they have had better price . I am flying priemium ecconemy in August for $1400

manfarang-old
June 13th, 2006, 05:02
Also if you talk to Thia directley try calling Star Tours 323 644 1063 . Several times they have had better price . I am flying priemium ecconemy in August for $1400
These days $1400 USD is definitely a good fare for Thai Air's premium economy on the JFK-BKK nonstop; most other sources are running around $1750.

June 13th, 2006, 06:25
Wow did not know it had gone up that much
I made that reservation the 1st of April
I made my reservation Using my miles for business class
In December coming back in January
I did that in March that gets gone quick

June 13th, 2006, 06:38
wonder what effect this new huge airbus A380 plane will have on ticket prices when it enters service later this year. How long before its flying to BKK?

It holds 555 passengers. I like the lower fuel consumption per seat bit. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4990780.stm

"It's an efficient and clean and environmentally friendly aircraft, and it has lower fuel consumption per seat, and produces less noise and emissions than older aircraft, and for airports it should increase their ability to handle passengers," said David Gamper of the Airports Council International.

June 13th, 2006, 08:19
How long before its flying to BKK?The new airport has to be operational first. Don Muang hasn't been upgraded to handle it

manfarang-old
June 14th, 2006, 07:39
Wow did not know it had gone up that much
I made that reservation the 1st of April
skeet45-
That approx $1750 premium economy fare has been around for several months now on the Thai Air US site and sites like Travelocity.
I was wondering if your $1400 fare includes taxes and airport fees. These days those can run to $200+ in addition to the base fare. If it does, you got a terrific deal. Last fall I paid $1550 and was quite happy about that.

June 14th, 2006, 08:08
I went back and looked the fair was 1433 with all taxes and fees
I check it regularly. When i flew them in march it was the $1550 price .
I booked that threw star tours and paid them directly . On my tickets was the price $1750
So i am not sure how that works
I had been checking the fair for a few weeks and was about to purchase at the $ 1550 price and
the day i looked At it had gone down to the $1433 so i did it that day
You also get and extra 10 % for miles that is not much but it helps
When i flew this flight last December i did not read the fine print and only got miles on the flight over nothing on the way back. Something about the code on my ticket but that was a coach seat.

manfarang-old
June 14th, 2006, 08:28
Thanks, skeet45. I will definitely check out Star Tours next time. When purchasing economy tickets, one does have to check the really good fares to make sure that the flight earns miles - I've been burned a couple of times as well. When purchasing PE or Royal Silk seats there isn't as much need to check the codes unless the fare seems too good to be true.

One last question, if you don't mind. Does Star Tours accept credit card payment or was it a cash-only deal?

June 14th, 2006, 08:47
Yes they accept credit cards but i had to fill out a forum and make a copy of my drivers license and a copy of both side of my credit card and fax it to them If you don't have it there # is 323 644 1063. When i saw the $1433 price I called them but they did not have that fair so i booked threw Thai directly

manfarang-old
June 16th, 2006, 04:45
I checked the Thai Air USA website today and the fare for Premium Economy seats on the JFK-BKK nonstop is now $1513 USD ($1320 + $193 tax), not a bad price at all!