PDA

View Full Version : Thai Politics

billy2bs
December 10th, 2013, 06:56
As an American I do have an interest in the political friendliness of the countries I choose to visit. It sure looks like this present uprising in LOS is going to last a while. I cannot, however, seem to grasp which side of the road I might be on should I have been a local. It looks like the haves vs the have nots. But I do not think so.
Who then would the populace in general take on as the person who could do right by them. Lately no one seems to fit that bill, or even can they? Is it the lying bureaucrats and the wealthy who will always have the upper hand or can the people themselves find their true representative? Is there even one. The protesters on both sides should certainly provide a representative choice. Do they have the will or the savvy to do so?
I will volunteer my services at a reduced fee for 5 years only so the the locals can find their true representative. After all, no one wants the country to be in turmoil while all us gays are trying to enjoy our times there.

But seriously can this problem not be resolved or is it a lost cause?

stkyricesf
December 10th, 2013, 10:18
As a fellow American, I would just say, take care of your own back yard, before worrying about another country an culture. American's are going through the same thing, rich vs poor. If your visiting Thailand just enjoy the day to day people you meet. Even if your in Bangkok, unless your in certain districts, you won't even know something is going on, unless your watching the news on certain stations. Just enjoy yourself. L-)

timmberty
December 10th, 2013, 10:38
what a great idea, an american taking control of the situation in thailand. things can only get better, just ask the people in other places the yanks have stepped foot in.

adman5000
December 10th, 2013, 10:54
It looks like the haves vs the have nots.

Is it the lying bureaucrats and the wealthy who will always have the upper hand or can the people themselves find their true representative?

I am also an American and totally agree with stkyricesf. We have some of the same problems.

When in Thailand - I don't talk religion or politics.

billy2bs
December 10th, 2013, 11:47
Now see guys there i disagree with yas. I think it is important to understand whats going on around me.I do not choos to bury my head in the ground.I can still visit and enjoy but i dont want to live with blinders too.Mai pen rai...I dont think so.

December 10th, 2013, 12:12
what a great idea, an american taking control of the situation in thailand. things can only get better, just ask the people in other places the yanks have stepped foot in.Someone born in America is already the Thai head of State timbberty. Do you not know that?

timmberty
December 10th, 2013, 17:10
an american ?

cottmann
December 10th, 2013, 17:22
what a great idea, an american taking control of the situation in thailand. things can only get better, just ask the people in other places the yanks have stepped foot in.Someone born in America is already the Thai head of State timbberty. Do you not know that?

If, as seems likely given their rank and status as members of the Thai royal family, that person's parents were traveling on Thai diplomatic passports, that I doubt that the US law of jus solis (which specifically exempts offspring of diplomats) applied. Born in the USA, yes; an American, probably not.

adman5000
December 10th, 2013, 19:27
Now see guys there i disagree with yas. I think it is important to understand whats going on around me.I do not choos to bury my head in the ground.I can still visit and enjoy but i dont want to live with blinders too.Mai pen rai...I dont think so.

You can understand what is going on around you without offering opinions. You can observe. But it is best to keep your opinions to yourself. B-)

ChelseaNY
December 11th, 2013, 00:33
His MajestyтАЩs dad was the prince at US medical school. Not a diplomat. I doubt the King claims American citizenship in any case.

While discrete discussion of politics is tolerated (if not welcomed), these difficulties are for the Thai people to grapple with. America has been both a positive influence and a tragic interloper in places where it has exerted influence. Our involvement seems to be an engagement with the military establishment right now.

If you wish to be informed, then read the Nation and the Post, certainly seek out non-establishment alternative news sources, and educate yourself. The sitution, which I follow from NY, is complex. ItтАЩs not something best understood in a blog post or a discussion in a social forum.

Stay safe. Enjoy yourself. Educate yourself.

billy2bs
December 11th, 2013, 00:57

You can understand what is going on around you without offering opinions. You can observe. But it is best to keep your opinions to yourself. B-)

Ha it is impossible to observe and see and be silent. Maybe a child should keep his mouth shut as he no doubt would be out of place, but I am well past the child age so my opinion will be voiced when I have on however cautiously it may be. I am not looking to start a riot but to understand the politics of the problem. Surely it will be the peoples of LOS to determine their fate, not I.

December 11th, 2013, 13:29
His MajestyтАЩs dad was the prince at US medical school. Not a diplomat.And his mother was a commoner and a nurse. They met and married in the US. He couldn't practise as a doctor in Thailand since no member of the royal family at the time could touch a social inferior in that way.
I doubt the King claims American citizenship in any case.That doesnt stop him being an American citizen surely he would have to renounce it somehow to stop being an American?

timmberty
December 11th, 2013, 13:36
being born in a country doesnt make a person from abroad a citizen of the country they are born in. you have to apply for it.
thats makes as much sense as one of pongs posts !!!! i mean if the parents or one of them isnt a national of that country then they have to apply to be a citizen, it is not given as a right.

DragonMaster
December 11th, 2013, 14:24
being born in a country doesnt make a person from abroad a citizen of the country they are born in. you have to apply for it.
thats makes as much sense as one of pongs posts !!!! i mean if the parents or one of them isnt a national of that country then they have to apply to be a citizen, it is not given as a right.

Maybe not in your country Timmy, but until changes are made to the U.S. Constitution a person born in the United States is an American citizen and they do not have to apply for it, and yes it is given as a right. This is one of the problems the U.S. currently has with illegals entering the country from Mexico and having children born in the U.S. The children are by law U.S. citizens, but their parents are still illegal immigrants regardless. The Chinese have started special "birth" hotels in California where pregnant women from China come to the U.S., legally and have their children inside the U.S. so that they can obtain U.S. citizenship. This also makes it easier to import the rest of the family later when the child grows up and can petition the government for permission.

timmberty
December 11th, 2013, 14:30
ok i stand corrected, thats the second time i've been wrong. :)

Up2U
December 11th, 2013, 14:50

Ha it is impossible to observe and see and be silent.......

and why not? Listen, learn, observe and keep my mouth shut when I am around Thais.

December 11th, 2013, 15:22
ok i stand corrected, thats the second time i've been wrong. :)Only the second time?