PDA

View Full Version : pattaya mail

June 10th, 2006, 16:07
Once again the pattaya mail is over the top.The head lines of this weeks copy ,state THE WORLD CELEBRATES THE KINGS ANAVERSIVERY.I doublt that many people out side of asia even know thailand has a king,with all due respect to him .The only thing here, in the uk this weekend that matters , is England playing their first game in the world cup

June 10th, 2006, 16:31
Once again the pattaya mail is over the top.The head lines of this weeks copy ,state THE WORLD CELEBRATES THE KINGS ANAVERSIVERY.I doublt that many people out side of asia even know thailand has a king,with all due respect to him .The only thing here, in the uk this weekend that matters , is England playing their first game in the world cup

The first thing farangs learn on visiting thailand is DONT disrespect the king! Quickest way to the morgue lol

That said................ GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ENGERRRRRRRLANDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!

June 10th, 2006, 16:32
IN the South China Morning Post, it got coverage on the front page, with a feature article a few pages in, and a photo of the million admirers wearing yellow.

FYI -- here is the front page blurb:

Million voices rise in praise for King of Smiles
Three great waves of sound rose from a million voices - "Long Live His Majesty!" Tens of thousands wept. Visibly moved, King Bhumibol Adulyadej allowed a smile to crease his famously impassive features.

But indeed, the story was buried under HUGE coverage of the footie - and as you say, I doubt if many of the countries who are further away (especially those who lack royalty themselves) will give it as much coverage.

June 10th, 2006, 16:57
did you guys see the pics of the royal elephants watching the animated elephant movie(cant recall movies name) as a treat for this wonderful occaision lol?

Aunty
June 10th, 2006, 17:44
I have seen it on the BBC World News, CNN's website, The New Zealand Herald and television news here in New Zealand.

Hardly a matter of no interest to people outside of Thailand, wouldn't you say?

Jetsam
June 10th, 2006, 19:51
Big coverage over here in Holland too :geek:

That said................ GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ENGERRRRRRRLANDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!

COME ON HOLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND !!!

http://blobs.shoppay.be/products/205-200613-oranje-vlag.jpg

painai2
June 10th, 2006, 20:47
News of the King's 60 years on the throne was mentioned on CNN yesterday, and I live in the States.

June 10th, 2006, 22:01
England past the first hurdle..........phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Jetsam
June 10th, 2006, 22:08

good start from them, but after the first 30 minutes they were not really impressive, for real footbal you have to watch tomorrow 3pm :cheers:

http://blobs.shoppay.be/products/205-200613-oranje-vlag.jpg

painai2
June 10th, 2006, 22:29
Regarding "football"--WHO CARES?

June 10th, 2006, 22:33
Regarding "football"--WHO CARES?

Sports fans in the entirety of the civilised world ;-)

Impulse
June 11th, 2006, 02:31
The only real football is American football,the kind you throw and catch.And the only true ruler of the free world is george bush. :drunken:

Jetsam
June 11th, 2006, 02:54
The only real football is American football,the kind you throw and catch.And the only true ruler of the free world is george bush. :drunken:

ok, so the only real football is the game you throw the ball with the hands, and the game we play ( the ball with the foot) is not real football http://images.fok.nl/s/biggrin.gif

June 11th, 2006, 03:13
And the only true ruler of the free world is george bush.

http://upload4.postimage.org/370046/george_herbert_bush_72.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/370046/photo_hosting.html)

http://upload4.postimage.org/370048/000028_axe_du_mal.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/370048/photo_hosting.html)

June 11th, 2006, 09:47
The only true wacko of the free world is George Bush!!!

catawampuscat
June 11th, 2006, 10:38
Back in the US of A, gay sports fans are few and far between.. Opera, theatre, movies, ballet, classical music
are the norm and intense interest in sports is considered very unusual and sometimes used by closet gays to
throw off the scent in their workplaces.. Of course, soccer or football is of no interest to anyone in the uSA except visiting
foreigners or ex-pats and it is all about basketball, baseball,American football, ice hockey and boxing/wrestling...

Personally, I find intense interest and passion in spectator sports almost as strange as enjoying the hideous old hags
lipsyncing and prancing around with tons of makeup smeared over severly wrinkled faces with bad teeth..I guess it
is a British thing to love their football and their drag queens... To each his own...

June 11th, 2006, 10:59
Those swimming and diving events and gymnastics can be fun to watch, eh?

June 11th, 2006, 11:35

good start from them, but after the first 30 minutes they were not really impressive, for real footbal you have to watch tomorrow 3pm :cheers:

England tend to have one good half and one half where they cannot even pass the ball to each other, so no change there last night. Unless Rooney is fit we are doomed to exit stage left as soon as we enter the knockout stages (which if we finish 2nd in our group will most likely be against Germany).

After watching most of the Argentina vs Ivory Coast game last night (I admit I fell asleep a little before the end), I think you may have your work cut out even getting out of the group stage Jetsam. Argentina were fan-f#@king-tastic and the Ivory Coast, as I predicted to a Thai friend last night, were brilliant and could easily cause problems for Holland.

Goood luck tonight.

June 11th, 2006, 11:50
Back in the US of A, ... Of course, soccer or football is of no interest to anyone in the uSA except visiting foreigners or ex-pats and it is all about basketball, baseball,American football, ice hockey and boxing/wrestling ... To each his own...

Aint it strange how Americans love the sports they do well in (crowning themselves World Champions)and in sports that other countries show little interest. Last year in the US I tried to get into baseball but found that it just dragged on and on and on, pretty much like American Football. However, I did start watching the little league baseball world cup matches (what else do you do when you wake up groggy) with, for some perculiar reason EIGHT teams from America and a further eight teams from the rest of the world. Hawai won the overall event against Curacao (a Karma point to the first to mention where the hell this is) in a frilling and tear jerking 7-6 final.

June 11th, 2006, 13:15
Curacao is an island in the Caribbean Sea, just north of Venezuela.

cottmann
June 12th, 2006, 07:05
.....And the only true ruler of the free world is george bush. :drunken:

A ruler is, or at least used to be, 12 inches of wood! Not a really accurate description of Bush, surely?

June 12th, 2006, 07:10
I predict the Argies will take it all!

Impulse
June 12th, 2006, 10:50
I hate bush more than anyone and Im still upset he was reelected to a second term.I think you need to be living in the U.S to really dislike him.I felt neutral about Blair until he joined the idiot bush with the bogus war thing. What we call soccer here never really caught on,Americans like lots of scoring and there just isnt enough in your football.baseball is very slow I agree but american football i think is very fast and exciting,we tried to export it to Europe with the World football league but it doesnt seem any country seems too excited about it. I like to keep an open mind about other sports and im trying to understand the sport played in india,cricket is it called?Was that introduced by the Brits?We have many immigrants playing here in the states,it looks like fun.

June 12th, 2006, 11:07
I think cricket is like baseball, it NEEDS to be imprinted EARLY. Don't even bother now.

June 12th, 2006, 11:15
I guess it is a British thing to love their football and their drag queens... To each his own...

I think it's more that in the rest of the world, there is no one telling us that because we are gay, we need to hate sports.

June 12th, 2006, 15:18
Boogieboard, my fingers don't know what they are doing sometimes and I slipped you 10 Karma Points instead of one - mai pen lai and thanks for the geography lesson :cheese:

Rocket, 'American Football, fast and exciting'! hmm, I guess I must have watched all the slow ones where the game stops every few seconds (as does the clock) for the players to consider their options and for the sponsors to plug the hell out of whatever they are selling.

As for Cricket, apart from 'Botham's Ashes' series in 1981 (was it really 25 years ago, yikes!) I never really got into the game and I suggest you don't bother either. It gets a totally over the top amount of tv coverage in relation to the number of people who watch or play (at least in England) and can be dull as ditch water. One example of how dull it can be would be if you ever saw Geoff Boycott play (allegedly the greatest living Yorkshireman). He was renowned for high runs but would take two days at the cricket crease (14 hours) to get anywhere near a decent score. It was reported his team-mates would often try and get him run out! Oh, and as for Botham's Ashes, I thought Bob Willis was the outstanding player that summer but never seems to get the credit he deserved.