PDA

View Full Version : Newalaan2's complaint on the Monty thread.

newalaan2
November 30th, 2013, 03:37
"if you don't have anything "nice" to say about an individual you should say nothing"! is complete and utter balderdash".

Is it really out of order to place limitations on obituary comments? No one claimed that Monty had any saintly attributes, but neither did anyone have anything substantive to contribute about what might have been Monty's defects. Gratuitous negativity is just simply out of place in this type of thread. It's not a matter of freedom of expression, but rather something that is dictated by common decency. IMHO
Yes it is out of order to have limitations, I don't have a problem with moving gratuitously negative, nasty comments out of this particular thread, but not to have them wiped from the forum altogether, that is my point. There is a very broad range of members opinions on SGT and I don't think any should be excluded, the only posts which should be totally deleted are those which can give a legal problem for the Board/moderator/owner. And I stand by the claim that it is nonsense and utter balderdash to insist that if you don't have anything "nice" to say about an individual you should say nothing, my god if that was the case there would be a lot of victims of, and/or those affected by nasty individuals who would never get any redress! Common decency is all well and good but what if there does happen to be genuine reasons for frank comments. As I say it was more about comments being deleted completely from the Board.

As I said previously in this thread, I have experienced only positives with Monty, I really only knew him over the period of a week, but that is all I have to go on, so therefore I will keep my personal comments in line with those good experiences. But if others may have had less than positive experiences and they find themselves frustrated at the "positive only" angle ...then they should be allowed to make whatever comments they wish, there should be a place on the forum for them to do so. If a thread with a more negative slant is set up then those who don't want to witness negative comments can avoid it by not clicking on to it.

For content to be completely deleted by the owner as he has now admitted, purely on the basis of a few complaining PMs and the fact he personally agreed just based on "bad taste" then where does one draw the line for deletion and censorship? It is the thin end of the wedge. That is the point.

The other thing about having somewhere these nasty comments can be discussed it also gives the opportunity for those who may dispute any claims made to be able to "set the record straight". If the comments made are out of pure nastiness with no basis then that also lets the rest of the members make their mind up about the credibility of those members who made the post and what they are actually capable of, still no reason to delete and censor.

It is a pity that this post is on a thread about Monty, but that is where the responses were. I would be perfectly happy for a separate thread to contain the posts which do not specifically celebrate the life of Monty.

witchhunt
November 30th, 2013, 04:07
There is a very broad range of members opinions on SGT and I don't think any should be excluded, the only posts which should be totally deleted are those which can give a legal problem for the Board/moderator/owner.

newalaan2 you are getting carried away with your sweeping statement of VERY BROAD RANGE OF MEMBERS OPINIONS.

There are over 300 people who log into Sawatdee to read, but only around 15 that bother to post and often then not every day.There are even more that log in anon that adds even more to the daily readers

Your broad range of members is maybe half a dozen members that might agree with you , and maybe have said that in writing, But you are wildly misjudging the whole readership, to claim that you have canvassed the membership in any way to back your statements.Now you are pushing your opinion down our throats, without any facts and I do not like it.i

Surfcrest
November 30th, 2013, 04:37
For content to be completely deleted by the owner as he has now admitted, purely on the basis of a few complaining PMs and the fact he personally agreed just based on "bad taste" then where does one draw the line for deletion and censorship? It is the thin end of the wedge. That is the point.

The other thing about having somewhere these nasty comments can be discussed it also gives the opportunity for those who may dispute any claims made to be able to "set the record straight". If the comments made are out of pure nastiness with no basis then that also lets the rest of the members make their mind up about the credibility of those members who made the post and what they are actually capable of, still no reason to delete and censor.

It is a pity that this post is on a thread about Monty, but that is where the responses were. I would be perfectly happy for a separate thread to contain the posts which do not specifically celebrate the life of Monty.
I moved your response to The Holding Room, essentially away from the Monty thread which your comments really have nothing to do with.

It's a pity you are using this thread about Monty to force a discussion around your agenda...an agenda that is shared on another similar thread, but on another very dissimilar Board.

I never said "a few" newalaan2....you know it, I know it....it's still in the thread for all to see what I really said...not what you want others to believe.

As for censorship, make your case where you see this going on! Apart from a thread about a man who recently died, or about a boy in the Gay Romeo Forum that many had objections with comments that had been made, where do you see all this censorship happening...or are these beliefs you are picking up from your other friend you also speak so highly of?
If you really want to see censorship, check out all the crap that went on here for a year or so prior to May 2013.

Surfcrest

newalaan2
November 30th, 2013, 04:45
There is a very broad range of members opinions on SGT and I don't think any should be excluded, the only posts which should be totally deleted are those which can give a legal problem for the Board/moderator/owner.

newalaan2 you are getting carried away with your sweeping statement of VERY BROAD RANGE OF MEMBERS OPINIONS.

There are over 300 people who log into Sawatdee to read, but only around 15 that bother to post and often then not every day.There are even more that log in anon that adds even more to the daily readers

Your broad range of members is maybe half a dozen members that might agree with you , and maybe have said that in writing, But you are wildly misjudging the whole readership, to claim that you have canvassed the membership in any way to back your statements.Now you are pushing your opinion down our throats, without any facts and I do not like it.i

I didn't say anyone agreed with me you fool, I said that on SGT THERE IS A VERY BROAD RANGE OF MEMBERS OPINIONS, not just on this subject but on all subjects across the Board......from Latin's extreme boy comments to other's harmless observations.....You are wildly misjudging simple English and your ability to read and understand it. And who cares what you like! First you need to comprehend the post you are SHOUTING about!

Where did you see I claimed to have canvassed the membership....all comments ARE MINE! and mine alone. Now you are pushing your opinions down OUR throats not just in huge shouting text.........but huge red shouting text! are you now a self-appointed moderator here? Hoping for a fight were you?