PDA

View Full Version : Richman Poorman Guesthouse, Jomtien

elephantspike
November 28th, 2013, 02:41
This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here » (http://www.grumpyexpat.com/blog/2013/01/richman-poorman-guesthouse-jom.html)

Richman Poorman Guesthouse and Restaurant is in Soi 9, Jomtien, Pattaya, Thailand. Friends recommended it to us for Christmas dinner and to say that we were pleased would be a gross understatement.

Eddy and his wife run a tight ship at RMPM. The choice and quality of Western food is excellent, the service attentive and prices very reasonable for an establishment in Jomtien.

Remarkable too is the hospitality. On our first visit to book dinner, Eddy was quick to give us his attention, explain the Christmas menu and sort out a booking. On subsequent visits, he always found time to pass the time of day with us.

The standard menus are extensive. The separate breakfast menu is the biggest I have ever seen. The main menu is also more than adequate. RMPM doesn't cook Thai food but the staff will take orders from the menu of the Thai restaurant across the soi and have it cooked there and brought over.

After enjoying the Christmas dinner of soup and salad from the buffet bar and a huge turkey main course, we just had to visit again a couple of times during our stay.

We have yet to use the accommodation there but, judging by the reviews on Trip Advisor, the rooms are to the same high standard as the bar/restaurant.

Trip Advisor reviews (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293919-d3313574-Reviews-Richman_Poorman_Guesthouse-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html)

We simply must book a room for our next trip!

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/RMPM.jpg

Smiles
November 28th, 2013, 06:09
" ... We have yet to use the accommodation there but, judging by the reviews on Trip Advisor, the rooms are to the same high standard as the bar/restaurant. We simply must book a room for our next trip!
Every review is GLOWING! Except this one:

... [This place is] ...mess! Of the 13 'excellent' and 'very good' reviews I can't believe no one thought to mention the state of disrepair - a half foot of mold growing up one wall, huge cracks in another wall, holes in the celling - everywhere you look, an eyesore. There was black mold in the bathroom and holes in the dingy sheets. I can't believe they had the nerve to rent this room out and charge a high price for it, too. Shameful! The 'cons' are so large there's no point in mentioning the 'pros'. Besides, they're grossly over stated in the other reviews.
I'm wondering whether those excellent reviews were puffed up pieces by those-with-agendas ... or, whether this lonely negative review was written by someone with a large chip on his shoulder.
That photo of the restaurant (I assume) is not encouraging.

zubes
November 28th, 2013, 06:17
Went once for breakfast, took one look at the poor decor and the over priced menu and left. Much better quality available in Jomtien for reasonable price, Linda's, Pig & Whistle, Danmark, to name just a few.

elephantspike
November 28th, 2013, 06:31
Never been, Review was written by Grumpy Expat. Looks like the place has some er... rustic charm though.

RichLB
November 28th, 2013, 08:16
Aw c'mon guys, RMPM is my favorite restaurant in Pattaya in their price/quality category. I defy you to find better clam chowder anywhere, including Boston. Their french onion soup is also a favorite, as is the chile con carne. I've never stayed there, though, so can't speak for the quality of the rooms, but the food is excellent. The only complaints I've heard refer to smoking being allowed (although the air conditioning takes care of most of it) and the fact that the regulars can become spiritedly loud (although I sort of like that since if makes the place feel like my old college drinking pub).

Smiles
November 28th, 2013, 08:30
Cigarette smoke is not 'taken care of' by an air conditioner being on.

TOQ
November 28th, 2013, 09:52
Cigarette smoke is not 'taken care of' by an air conditioner being on.

Correct, not even close to taking care of it. That and the closeness of the tables even makes it worse. I must admit I do like several of the menu items. It is a lot better if you can go for a late breakfast or lunch. It is nowhere near as bad.

Up2U
November 28th, 2013, 12:23
Aw c'mon guys, RMPM is my favorite restaurant in Pattaya in their price/quality category. I defy you to find better clam chowder anywhere, including Boston. Their french onion soup is also a favorite, as is the chile con carne. I've never stayed there, though, so can't speak for the quality of the rooms, but the food is excellent. The only complaints I've heard refer to smoking being allowed (although the air conditioning takes care of most of it) and the fact that the regulars can become spiritedly loud (although I sort of like that since if makes the place feel like my old college drinking pub).

Your last sentence says it all. I personally like this place but if the noise or smoke is too much we do an about face. Eddie, the owner is a smoker and drinker, and so are his loud friends so you get no sympathy if you complain. For this reason, many of my friends boycott this place. If you like American "comfort" food this is your best bet in Jomtien; good food, reasonable prices and friendly service.

christianpfc
November 28th, 2013, 14:28
The only complaints I've heard refer to smoking being allowed (although the air conditioning takes care of most of it)...

Thank you very much, I don't read tripadvisor (or other) reviews, but a restaurant that allows smoking is no-go for me.

firecat69
November 28th, 2013, 22:14
You better not visit Florida because smoking is everywhere !!

The food is top notch and comparing PW to it is just plain not even close.

2lz2p
November 29th, 2013, 15:08
I am also fond of certain dishes at RMPM, but do not go there often - I can put up with the small space, but if a loud group is there, it can be very off putting to enjoying a good meal - the worst time was when a couple of American guys with their ladies were not only speaking very loudly, but because of their apparent limited vocabulary every other word was the "f" word.

I've eaten in a couple times since - but usually get take out - when I want to enjoy my favorite American dish(es) on the menu; chicken fried steak and meat loaf. Fortunately, my bf likes those particular dishes, so he is very agreeable to driving to RMPM and ordering one of each for take out -- upon return, we halve the main dish so we each get to enjoy a portion.

Richsilver
November 29th, 2013, 16:27
I resisted going for a long time because of the smoking, but I have found it's rarely a problem. They have the best pork chops I've had in my 22 years coming to Thailand, wonderful meatloaf, great soups, really good chili, super roast turkey, etc., etc. The prices are reasonable and the service is very good.

Since there is no other place to enjoy these foods that I love, I'm willing to put up with the not-so-great atmosphere and the sometimes boisterous customers. However, when we stick our heads in the door and it seems too loud, we do not stay. But that's rarely the case.

francois
December 1st, 2013, 04:50
I did eat there once, twas enough.

firecat69
December 1st, 2013, 18:02
Everyone has different tastes. But I defy anyone to show me a restaurant that has home cooking like meatloaf, pot roast etc etc etc that is even close to as good RMPM.

I understand the smoke can be a problem but anyone who disparages their food has no idea what good home cooking taste like!