PDA

View Full Version : Monty

Surfcrest
November 27th, 2013, 20:51
The well-known Pattaya/Sunee Plaza figure known as "Monty" died today (27 November, 2013) of heart failure at 2:30 a.m. at Queen Sirikit Naval Hospital in Sattahip. Monty was admitted to the hospital earlier this month with renal/kidney failure. Last week, doctors revived him after he suffered a pulmonary embolism/blood clot in his lungs.

In recent years, Monty had a number of bars and restaurants in or near Sunee Plaza. He also ran the Pool Bar connected to the Marina Inn Plaza Hotel and was the proprietor of the now-defunct Enchanted Hut bar and restaurant in Jomtien complex. Monty's full name was Alfred Monaghan; he was from Perth, Australia. No information is available about his funeral/cremation.

Monty, a long time member of Sawatdee and very active in the Gay Community in Pattaya passed away yesterday in Thailand.
Rest in Peace Monty, you will be missed.

Surfcrest

The following is Monty's last post with us from Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:06 am

Surfcrest
November 27th, 2013, 20:59
Hi All.

THAT TOPIC heading SHOULD GET EVERYONE'S ATTENTION.

AND I WANT NO SHIT ABOUT "IS IT THE REAL MONTY?"

I am sick, with CYSTITIS, and OVERACTIVE BLADDER, the most painful and embarrassing thing you could get, I pee every 5 to 10 min and every 30 to 40 min at night,
I am not into nappies yet, But as the incontinence gets worse, it could happen any day.

I having treatment and tests at Queen Sirikit Hospital at Satahip. the Navy Boys were lovely. ( excuse me TIME TO PEE) But to no avail. They saved my life 2 years ago, when I had Kidney Failure. But NO help this time.

So I have packed up and moved to Bangkok, to seek help at SIRIRAJ HOSPITAL, That is the Hospital the King of Thailand stays, So now they will have a Pattaya Queen to look after as well as the King.

I had thoughts about going back to Australia, for treatment but when I inquired at R.P.H. I was told to go to SIRIRAJ Hospital for consultation,With the UROLOGY Department.

The medication I am on is a Bladder Relaxant and pain killer PARACETAMOL, and the side affects are dry mouth and constipation. I am a bit worried that if the pain does not kill me the meds will.(Excuse me time to Pee again)

What I would like ask has anyone or know of anyone that has suffered the same.
If so you can e.mail me on monaghanspearls@hotmail.com ( excuse me time to pee again)

I am still living on the bright side , doing my E.Bay sell pearls , pottery. coins etc,

I now drink only water. NO kidding! Fucking WATER and No Whiskey Wonders will never happen ,,,I AM TEETOTALER , I have been thinking of opening a branch of AA.

That's all for now, If jinks would be good enough to correct anything that needed.

Take Care
Monty

P.S. As MacArthur once said "I SHALL RETURN."

bing
November 27th, 2013, 22:40
Monty welcomed me to his Pool bar one afternoon after I spent the day at the beach, and invited me to a birthday party a faring was having that same night. When I mentioned I did not know the fellow who was having the birthday party, Monty brushed that comment aside, "You will be my guest." He had a competition of the boys diving for spoons and then a push off the pole contest. The boys pushed each off the pole into the water. It was a most memorable party. I believe Alan was the name of the faring who was sponsoring the party. Just about every year since then, whether it was at the Two Guys guest house (present name) or at the Rainbow Cafe in Jomtien or the bar across the ski from the Rainbow, and then later when he had the pearl shop behind Cucumbers Restaurant I was re-welcomed as a guest of Monty. One of my favorite memories of Monty was the time I attended one of the Charity Dinners at the Amor Restaurant and won two prizes, 500 baht at Panorama and 2000 at Bruno's Restaurant. When I mentioned that I won the prizes to Monty, he was happy to hear of my good fortune and volunteered to help me use them the next evening. It was a totally fun evening of eating and drinking. He let me know he put on his best shirt for the occasion. I know he was polarizing personality, so you probably loved him or could hardly stand him. I for one will miss him as if a member of my family had passed. No doubt with all the strings the monks tied on his wrists over the years will bode well for him and surely Buddah will welcome Monty with something like, "You will be my guest."

jinks
November 28th, 2013, 01:12
Good Bye my dear Friend.

Monty was one first to pass a kind word to any and (as the pic below shows) ALL visitors

I will be castrated for posting THE picture of Monty

http://www.jinkscorp.com/holidays/Sawatdee/fullmontyIncBilly.gif

When unowho tells me it is against the rules, I'll change it.

bucknaway
November 28th, 2013, 04:58
I met him a few times when he was operating Monty's Enchanted Hut. He was a nice guy with tons of personalty. I'm sad to hear of his passing.

Smiles
November 28th, 2013, 05:39
P.S. As MacArthur once said "I SHALL RETURN."
Hmmmm. Monty got that one wrong.
MacArthur returned, not only to the Philippines, but later, back to the United States in an attempt to run for President. MacA got that one wrong.

Looks like the writing on the wall for Monty was wrote (sp) quite a while ago: on this Board in fact there is a thread from 2006 wishing him to "get well" ... get-well-monty-t7150.html (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/get-well-monty-t7150.html)
If ever there was a stark and deadly warning to farang expats to 'keep healthy' while living in Thailand, it's Monty's slow death over many years from multiple health problems, two of which ~ I'm pretty certain ~ were over-smoking and over-boozing.
He was only 68.

arsenal
November 28th, 2013, 07:29
I never had a conversation with him that didn't leave me feeling enriched and on one ocassion he gave me some very wise advice. And his constant opening and closing of ventures was always an interesting mini-soap opera in itself. Pattaya is poorer with his departure.

Impulse
November 28th, 2013, 08:09
Very sad news. As much time as I spent with Monty I don't recall him smoking much, maybe a pipe. He certainly drank enough though.

Monty was quite the character for sure. He talked me into turning my shell studio into a rental so I left him to deal with paying and instructing the workers whilst I spent most of the morning and early afternoon sleeping. he got into some heated arguments with one of the guys who did the air con. It was about how much baht was to be paid, it almost came to blows and I had to break them apart! The workers were concerned about getting paid and I had to assure them that they would. Monty had a hard time parting with money, even when it wasn't his. He got it done though.

I remember when he had to sell The enchanted hut how much he said he would miss his boys when he returned to his home in Austrailia. He had respect for them and would never let them lose face by yelling at them like the guy who was thinking of buying the place from Monty . This potential buyer was running the place for a few days to see if he wanted the business. He apparently let a boy have it for not doing his job right and the boy quit. Monty made sure he came back and "made everything right". That's how Monty was, but being as fond of the Thais he employed and dealt with Ill always remember him telling me that he didn't trust any of them when it came leaving money around.

elephantspike
November 28th, 2013, 09:47
Sorry to hear this. Monty was actually one of the few people from the board that I ever met in person. It was about 12 years ago, before I ever got involved with running boards or even knew anything about computers. He showed me some compassion when I was feeling blue. I mentioned this to him once in chat. I don't think he remembered me from our in person encounter but I'll always remember him.

Good bye, Monty.

Surfcrest
November 28th, 2013, 10:39
I am truly saddened about Monty. Monty was a true icon and quite a character in Pattaya and will be missed by many.

Monty's bar show in Jomtien Complex was the only bar show I ever liked. When this board had its first anniversary, Monty put on quite a party at his Sunee location. I am forever grateful to him for having done that.

There was a time when it seemed like Monty was constantly opening and closing businesses. He always had new ideas and new dreams. No matter what the setbacks, Monty never gave up.

Some of the words from the song 'Something Wonderful' from 'The King and I' I think are appropriately descriptive of Monty:

He has a thousand dreams
That won't come true
You know that he believes in them
And that's enough for you

RIP Monty.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/monty.jpg

A very nice post and photo posted by Gaybutton on gaybuttonthai.com.

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6200

Thank you for allowing us to post this here on Sawatdee as well.

Surfcrest

Surfcrest
November 28th, 2013, 22:57
Please, let's celebrate the life of Monty with this thread.
If you have nothing nice to add please leave the comments for those that do, out of respect for Monty and the members that are here to celebrate his life.

Thank you

Surfcrest

newalaan2
November 29th, 2013, 06:10
Sad to learn of anyone's passing from the gay Thailand Boards, and 68 seems relatively young nowadays.

I didn't know Monty in the early days of my Thailand trips because Sunee was for many years a place I only made very occasional visits, to NokNok where I first encountered the infamous Em, who at that time had yet to hone his leeching skills, Topman and Forest Bar from what I can remember. During the years when Monty had his bar and pool bar in Sunee, the area was still down in the open-for-all-to-see underage and druggie depths phase, so I never really spent enough time there to meet him.

In the Pattaya week of my Thailand trip I finally caught up with him when he opened Montys Caf├й across from La Cage, found him to be well-meaning and helpful at times, however he could be overbearing. I kept a safe but polite distance. He was always offering customers, especially the newly arrived, deals on his place to stay or that place and could quite often push his way in to your holiday plans if you let him. I didn't. I'm not sure if all his referrals were out of the pure goodness of his heart or if there were "finders fees" involved, whatever, it was up to the individuals he encountered to say yae or nae.

I often had a (late afternoon) breakfast at Montys Caf├й which was always excellent and tasty, and he did attract many expats and visitors who seemed to have a regard for him. It was at that week at Montys I met many of the established expats and visitors of the gay Thailand Boards and from them found out more about posting habits and attitudes on the Boards of many in a week than I had in the previous dozen years. It was the only real time over my 14 years visiting that I spent any time with other westerners, and in small dozes I enjoyed it, and that was down to Monty being a magnet for all the different types of guys.

So I can only speak for the Monty I actually knew as a person and that was a fairly harmless, seemingly helpful individual who did, from what I could see, have a good rapport with many expats and visitors, so from that perspective I can say Rest In Peace Monty.

?????
I know Timmberty and others posted but I can't quote any of them because their posts have disappeared without trace. There also seems to be no trace of the red font giving reasons for any deletions or censorship!

Please let's celebrate the life of Monty with this thread. If you have nothing nice to add please leave the comments for those that do, out of respect for Monty and the members that are here to celebrate his life
Why?? why should this Board be for only those with something nice to say and celebrate the life of Monty??

And who made you the spokesman to decide for us, the members, what can and cannot be said about him?? I assume nothing in those damned board rules have been broken by those posters to warrant deletion and censorship.

You have clearly made yourself the self-appointed spokesperson for the board members with regard to Monty, but it is not your place to decide who can say what, this control-freakery is exactly what happens when owners egos get in the way of fair and balanced opinions of members in order for their own whims to take precedent. As far as Monty is concerned I personally only know a good side to him, that doesn't mean others may have had a less than positive experience with him and therefore are perfectly within their rights to say so, whether you as an individual agree or not, using your status as owner to control content, and thereby control members is out of order.

If you want to 'force' a positive-only thread upon the membership 'celebrating' the life of Monty then there should also be another Monty thread running for those who don't want to sign-up to hypocrisy if they feel that way, it's nonsnense to order individuals to only make positive comments about a person if that person may have conducted himself negatively in any way, whether that person is alive or dead. And to avoid the usual, "but he isn't here to defend himself" nonsense, let those who want to buy into this only "respectful positive talk" defend any lies or inaccuracies, but all they need to do not to witness any negative comments would be to avoid any other Monty thread if there was one.

How about putting transparency, honesty and upholding the right of members here to have an opinion contrary to your own before the whims of one and 'respectful' feelings of a few.

This "if you don't have anything "nice" to say about an individual you should say nothing"! is complete and utter balderdash. It is neither fair or realistic to expect life to be as rosy-spectacled as that. I don't really like nasty, mean comments for the sake of it, but if comments made are true then equally I can't stand this false, fluffy, unreal emotional shit if the person wasn't saintly.

IMHO of course.

bobsaigon2
November 29th, 2013, 07:10
"if you don't have anything "nice" to say about an individual you should say nothing"! is complete and utter balderdash".

Is it really out of order to place limitations on obituary comments? No one claimed that Monty had any saintly attributes, but neither did anyone have anything substantive to contribute about what might have been Monty's defects. Gratuitous negativity is just simply out of place in this type of thread. It's not a matter of freedom of expression, but rather something that is dictated by common decency. IMHO

arsenal
November 29th, 2013, 08:30
I think that if anyone didn't like the man they are perfectly free to say so, even on this thread. But the comments posted were so repellent that they have no place on this or indeed any thread. IMO. Not remotely humble.

kittyboy
November 29th, 2013, 11:30
I was not a big fan of Monty's cooking but when in Pattaya I often stopped by his latest venture (to suffer his cooking) and have a chat up. He was a true character and I always enjoyed out chats.

I can not say I was his friend or even much of an acquaintance but I did very much enjoy our brief interactions.
Good luck to him if there is an afterlife.

LOL..I hope god keeps him out of the kitchen..he was a much better front man.

November 29th, 2013, 12:49
Fortunately some of us read the Forum through the RSS feeds (I'm sure I read of someone else doing that???) and the original bitchiness remains in all its glory.

Surfcrest
November 29th, 2013, 14:44
IMHO of course.
No one made me the тАЬspokesman to decide for us, the membersтАЭ, I was simply responding to several PMтАЩs from members asking me to take these comments down. They made good points, I agreedтАжsimple as that.

As for another Monty thread running, you will see that I am quoting Monty in my second post in this very thread you are asking about, that was started by Monty on Tue Sep 24, 2013.

This thread is about saying goodbye to Monty. We're all going to die, we all have that in common with one another and I'm guessing our average age here suggests we'll be continuing to do this on a regular basis, as we have for a long time. Every member deserves a nice send off, for most it will be the last thing they are ever remembered for and that probably means something to more than a few here...and so I'm going to preserve that for all of us. (except one)

As for all the other nasty presumptions and comments you have made, IтАЩd be more than happy to address all of your concernsтАж..and more in the Holding Room.

All future ugly comments on this thread will be deleted. Subsequent non-related discussions moved to the Holding Room.

Surfcrest.

whitemouse
November 30th, 2013, 15:10
Good bye, Monty!

If there is heaven, Monty is now running a bar there, and he is the nicest person in gay scene in heaven.

cottmann
November 30th, 2013, 16:48
If Monty and LMTU have met in the afterlife, I wonder if they're talking to each other? And if so, about what?

witchhunt
November 30th, 2013, 18:01
I used to watch Monty and LMTU talk , throw rubbish at each other, bullshit and carry on from the time LMTU moved in. Monty supported him during all his financial problems.
LMTU always bragged about the quality of Montys cooking but of course he could not get a free meal of any quality anywhere else.
Monty was a good cook ,plain but honest. He always gave LMTU a good feed but never got loyality back from him.

I remember when Monty had the new place near the now Colonial bar. LMTU kept coming in for a cup of tea and abusing Monty for talking to others about what was going on. This involved sale of Howards.

Often we were always confused that Monty always said LMTU was teetotal ,yet LMTU claims on many posts in the past ,to enjoy good wines.

Monty generous to a fault and used up by many , a pity no one wanted to help when he needed them in return.