PDA

View Full Version : credit card frauds

bidreamer
November 1st, 2013, 21:43
Since recently there has been active discussions here of various scams, stealing and short charging, I thought of seeking experiences on a bit more serious matter - credit card fraud. About a month after my trip to Phi Phi and Pattaya I got a call from my bank, asking if I am in Vietnam at the moment. No, I wasn't, but apparently someone had lifted substantial sums from ATMs using my debit card, which I still had in my possession at home. And, amazingly, a week later call from Visa - someone placed a large internet order using my other, credit card that I also still had. I used both in Thailand both in atms and for paying hotels and some restaurants. Fortunately, everything was promptly refunded to my accounts, so no loss for me, just the hassle of cancelled cards.

So now I wonder, was I especially unlucky or is this not so uncommon, and what to do next time - only use cash I change a t home?? I have no obvious suspects here. I was with my friend most of the time, but there was never a problem in the past and it just would not make sense for him to pull this kind of s...t.

egel
November 1st, 2013, 23:49
and what to do next time - only use cash I change a t home??

Next time...Open a Thai Bank account. Its easy, see the threads.

Bring cash, but change it in Thailand for a better rate.

Put it into the bank account and then draw cash from that account as often as required.

Would'nt suggest you use the Thai bank debit card for the reasons you mention.

Anyway, that's whay I do for my long term visits! Easy. Others may do something different.

cdnmatt
November 2nd, 2013, 01:21
For that, I just have two accounts -- savings and checking. The checking account is accessible via the ATM card, but the savings isn't. I'll only ever keep maybe $500 in the checking account at a time, and the rest stays in the savings. Whenever I need more money, I just login to online banking, and transfer money from savings to checkings, and it's instantly available to me via ATM.

This way the most I could ever lose is about $500, which of course would suck, but not enough to cry over. I do this because I was forced to withdraw from an ATM before in my younger years while traveling around (not in Thailand). So if it happens again, I'm not going to particularly care. I'll just politely pull out the $500 or whatever for them, they'll see my new balance of like $2, and that will be that. All the while, majority of my money is in my savings account, which isn't accessible via ATM.

Marsilius
November 2nd, 2013, 02:21
There have been two instances where I have been phoned by my bank while in the UK to ask whether I am in the Far East and using a credit card. On one occasion I was called while the fraudster was actually waiting for the card to be verified in a Hong Kong restaurant - and it was, so it seems, a very, very large bill. I was most gratified to imagine his expression as the card was declined... And just hope (not!) that he had the cash in his pocket to pay up.

francois
November 2nd, 2013, 03:42
I used both in Thailand both in atms and for paying hotels and some restaurants.

Quite likely your card was compromised when used in hotels or at the restaurants. With my debit/credit card my bank will only accept ATM withdrawals and not Point of Service transactions when in Thailand.

joe552
November 2nd, 2013, 04:59
francois, is that something you specifically requested of your bank, or their own rules?

November 2nd, 2013, 05:00
For that, I just have two accounts -- savings and checking. The checking account is accessible via the ATM card, but the savings isn't. I'll only ever keep maybe $500 in the checking account at a time, and the rest stays in the savings. Whenever I need more money, I just login to online banking, and transfer money from savings to checkings, and it's instantly available to me via ATM.

This way the most I could ever lose is about $500, which of course would suck, but not enough to cry over. I do this because I was forced to withdraw from an ATM before in my younger years while traveling around (not in Thailand). So if it happens again, I'm not going to particularly care. I'll just politely pull out the $500 or whatever for them, they'll see my new balance of like $2, and that will be that. All the while, majority of my money is in my savings account, which isn't accessible via ATM.Now I know how the poor people live.

joe552
November 2nd, 2013, 05:35
but, BrisbaneGuy, cdnmatt doesn't tell us how much he keeps in his savings account. Probably not as poor as you might wish.

TravellerDave
November 2nd, 2013, 06:23
I pay for everything in Thailand in cash (hotels, restaurants, shops) and only use my cards at Atm's. I have bought airline tickets using my card whilst in Thailand, but that's the only exception.

zombie
November 2nd, 2013, 07:08
OP writes:
So now I wonder, was I especially unlucky or is this not so uncommon, and what to do next time - only use cash I change a t home??

I suggest you bring cash from your home country and exchange it for baht when in Thailand.

francois
November 2nd, 2013, 07:36
francois, is that something you specifically requested of your bank, or their own rules?

It is the bank's rule. When I was in Thailand they emailed me and said there were instances of fraud with Point of Service transactions.

RichLB
November 2nd, 2013, 07:50
In years past I was stung several time by credit card fraud. Fortunately the bank refunded my losses. I asked them how it was done and the service representative told me the most common method.
It seems there is a little device, small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, that can swipe and copy the black strip on the back of your card. The culprit then takes that electronic copy to a cohort who manufactures a fake plastic card in the name of a purchaser (so it will pass id verification by a retailer) and with a copy of your black strip. When the card is used, it is the black strip which accesses your account (not the raised numbers on the front). This nefarious device is world wide and not just in Thailand. I've learned to never use my debit or credit card anywhere except in ATM machines - and even that isn't 100% secure.

cdnmatt
November 2nd, 2013, 08:07
but, BrisbaneGuy, cdnmatt doesn't tell us how much he keeps in his savings account. Probably not as poor as you might wish.

Nor did I say that's the only place(s) I keep money.

For the money that's instantly accessible to me though, I always like to keep the majority of it inaccessible to a ATM. Well, unless I login to online banking and transfer it over.

November 2nd, 2013, 13:47
but, BrisbaneGuy, cdnmatt doesn't tell us how much he keeps in his savings account. Probably not as poor as you might wish.He works in Thailand and keeps whingeing and moaning about the cost of living back in America so I think I got a pretty good idea.

joe552
November 2nd, 2013, 17:29
since he's from Canada, I don't think I've ever seen him moan about prices in America.

anyway, I think he gave a very sensible reply to the topic

francois
November 2nd, 2013, 21:37
Joe; Canada is in North America as is USA and Mexico. (~~)

joe552
November 2nd, 2013, 23:31
you got me there, francois

November 3rd, 2013, 03:41
Yeah fair call me geography teacher taught me Canada is in America just like the United States is in America but obviously you knows more than me.

Sooty
November 3rd, 2013, 09:20
Joe; Canada is in North America as is USA and Mexico.I assume BG was teasing cdnmatt; the chip Canadians have on their shoulder about the US of A is well known.

bidreamer
November 3rd, 2013, 09:44
Thanks for the useful suggestions. Amusing to see, btw, how a thread deteriorates into something 'less than useful' over its lifetime - i hope its not a reflection of what happens to us posters over time...that would be a sad thought.
I did actually already create a bank account in Thailand. Not all banks do for short stay foreigners, but the second one we tried, Kasikorn, had no problems. I will use the thai account in future, although it seems it is as easy to skim the thai atm card as any other, and while the amounts involved can be smaller, i have less confidence of the bank noticing if something is wrong, actually contacting me and refunding fraudulent transactions. Perhaps best is to use debit cards only for cash withdrawals from atms that are located at airports or bank offices and reduce the daily withdrawal limit temporarily. Of course, carrying largish amounts of cash around creates its own problems....