PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin

elephantspike
October 29th, 2013, 01:08
latest conversion to vBulletin is here:

http://www.sawatdeegayhailand.com/vbul/

All users, threads, posts and forums are there.

FYI: It takes several hours to run the conversion script (If all goes well) If any part of it fails it needs to be restarted from the beginning. It also requires that vBulletin be downgraded from 4.2 to 4.0 then the Impex converter run, then a couple hours worth of update scripts to be run in the Admin panel, then re-update the vBulletin version to 4.2 (another hours long and glitch-ridden and not-well-documented process). The converter does not convert attachments (pictures in posts) from phpBB at all. It supposedly converts avatars but I have thus far been unable to do so and many others on the vBulletin board have also been unable to do so and there does not seem to be anyone who HAS been able to do so.

So anyway now that we have the development copy, once we want to make it go live we would have to shut down the live board and redo the entire process described above from the start to make all the posts and members current (so like a few days to a week maybe) Then that will give aus a board that looks like this:

[attachment=0:mlop4gqb]vbul.jpg[/attachment:mlop4gqb]

With passwords that don't work and blank spaces where everyone's avatars and attachments used to be.

As far as that bridge for vBulletin/Wordpress you found- can you find that link again? And buy a licence for it if you want me to try it out I guess. I'm thinking that it may not integrate the templates like the phpBB/Wordpress one I have on Sawatdee Network does now, but only syncs the logins but we won't know until we try.

The other thing to consider is this: Perhaps having Wordpress AND vbulletin together would be redundant as one of the things I DO like about vBulletin is that it gives you a static front page navigation and blogs (a CMS or Content Management System) which is pretty much what Wordpress also does (albeit in a MUCH prettier and more customisable and more user-friendly way).

My current analysis is this: vBulletin will be useful for building a whole new separate site on a separate domain but that the limitations of the Impex conversion process make it not worth it to try to convert our current board. The costs way out-weigh the benefits.