PDA

View Full Version : Double Charging

Mancs
October 26th, 2013, 23:21
Bucknaway's mention of being short changed reminded me of this. The last two hotels I stayed at in bkk tried to charge me twice for extras. One was the 200 baht for wi fi, which I paid on arrival and they tried to charge again as I was leaving. The idea of that hotel giving out a wi fi password without charging for it is unbelievable so even they must have known they were pushing it. Then the next hotel off Silom tried to charge 900 baht twice on the same invoice for my late check out. Maybe I look dozy: I get back to Manchester and the grocery shop tries to short change me by ┬г3. It just shows these 'mistakes' don't just happen in Thailand. And the odds are that some mistakes will be in my favour soon, lol. What are your experiences with double charging and short changing?

Smiles
October 30th, 2013, 10:30
" ... What are your experiences with double charging and short changing? ... "
Over 14 years: zero. Perhaps I don't look dozy?
By the way, nowadays at most Thai hotels which offer WiFi, it's free.

egel
October 31st, 2013, 06:29
What are your experiences with double charging and short changing?

I live in the UK for 8 months of the year and it happens perhaps once every three years.
I live in Thailand for 4 months of the year and it happens perhaps once every three weeks.
Draw your own conclusions!

christianpfc
October 31st, 2013, 15:03
I don't remember any case of being short changed (that could be that I just didn't realize it).

In 7/11, I usually pay with 1000 Baht notes and watch the cashier as he counts my change twice.

In gogo bars, I usually pay with 1000 Baht notes and check my change immediately. Same for restaurants.

Everywhere else, I try to give the correct amount of money, so the issue doesn't even arise.

cdnmatt
November 1st, 2013, 13:31
One time I was short changed 100 baht at a Fresh Mart I frequented. I just politely pointed it out, he smiled, apologized, and handed me an extra 100 baht. Just an honest mistake, I'm sure.

At the pet store I frequent, the attendants tally up the total, and hand it off to their boss / owners with money to get the change. One time the girl overcharged me a couple hundred baht, and I buy around 3000 baht of stuff at a time, so didn't even notice. The owner did though when reviewing the receipt, and ensured I paid the proper price. Again, I'm sure just an honest mistake.

One time at the market I asked for two things of lettuce, but they accidentally gave me 3. Next time I was at the market, I made sure to pay for the third, although they were quite dumbfounded as to why I was giving them money.

Another time at the market when buying my dog's dinner, the lady accidentally gave me an extra 100 baht in change. I didn't notice until I got home. She must of realized it afterwards though as well, but didn't say anything next time I was there until I brought it up, and told her to add 100 baht onto my bill. Then she just ended up with a beaming smile, and thanked me.

And I'm sure there's a bunch of others that I don't remember.

Smiles
November 1st, 2013, 15:26
As mentioned above, I've never knowingly been short-changed in Thailand. Having said that I concede that I'm not much a 'checker' when it comes to almost immediately stuffing change in my pocket or walley afyeer a purchase.

Last week I was on the Sky train in Bangkok. I went through the wicket and walked over to the stairs which take one up to the tracks. There, on the third step, lay two twenty baht bills. I looked around ... no one on the stairs. I picked up the bills and pocketed them.
So as far as I'm concerned and as far as funny bugger's with money in LoS is concerned, I'm up net 40 Baht over 14 years.

latintopxxx
November 1st, 2013, 16:43
at dream boys in BKK I was with a couple of friends (yes I have friends...and no they were not gogo boys) and picked up the tab...they forgot to charge me for a beer...but the waiter caught up with me 10 min later while I was standing at the corner bar having another beer...I just paid him as I would hate to think he would have to pay for the 350bht beer out of his pocket.

timmberty
November 1st, 2013, 21:14
at dream boys in BKK I was with a couple of friends (yes I have friends...and no they were not gogo boys) and picked up the tab...they forgot to charge me for a beer...but the waiter caught up with me 10 min later while I was standing at the corner bar having another beer...I just paid him as I would hate to think he would have to pay for the 350bht beer out of his pocket.

is it april 1st already ?

gaymandenmark
November 2nd, 2013, 01:52
is it april 1st already ?

It must be a joke =)) :
"I just paid him as I would hate to think he would have to pay for the 350bht beer out of his pocket."

Next time I suggest latinxxx to negotiate with the boy, so he can fuck and rosebud him for almost the same amount of money.
A win win situation for both of them.

francois
November 2nd, 2013, 03:48
At a beer bar in Pattaya I paid my small tab with a 1000 note and my change was given to another customer who made a quick exit! They did chase him down and returned the change to me. When in go-gos and beer bars I now try to pay with smallest bills possible.