PDA

View Full Version : Thai Guys and their noses ....

Smiles
June 8th, 2006, 10:47
Although my dear Beloved is scrupulously clean ( and classy ... as I am!! :blackeye: ) in almost every way, I have sometimes stumbled across him digging for olfactory gold ... in public.

On such unfortunate occasions I normally avert my eyes ~ in embarrassment for both of us (Victorian bitch that I can be) ~ though he will usually pay no attention except for daintily withdrawing his 'nasal' finger from the second knuckle to the first, in deference to my western sensibilities. I find this especially disconcerting when he's driving in 140 kilometer-an-hour traffic high up on some overhead freeway 10 stories above Saphan Kwai.

We have had the odd 'discussion' regarding the western abhorrence of nose-picking, but to no avail . . . . it's a Thai universality and shall ever be thus. As the Compte de Valmont said to his spurned lover, " ... it's beyond my control (that honker o' mine) ... " (though his nose it was not, in that case).

Thus, I discovered an appropriate birthday card staring me in the, er ... nose ... the other day at the local Real Canadian Superstore and thought I'd share it with you.

Do you think he'll get a chuckle . . . . (his is in August)??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images/booger3.jpg

Cheers ....

June 8th, 2006, 11:12
I think that compulsive nose picking inherently precludes one from being considered "classy".

I sure hope your boyfriend possesses other charms.

June 8th, 2006, 11:42
It's an Asian thing -- any local Asian person who has not gone to a western school seems to think it's perfectly fine to go digging away for that bothersome bogie, at home or in public. The exception would be the Japanese, who even consider blowing your nose to be as offensive as farting. My ex (HK Chinese but British educated) would say to people doing this in public 'Waaa, ho hoi sam a lei!' which means 'you must be so happy [to do this].' Very effective!

You might consider learning the Thai equivalent of the above, or just be thankful that he does not have much worse habits. In China, it is still quite acceptable to cough up 'a clam,' and spit it into the rubbish bin -- even in the office, and in Korea it is de rigeur to fart after a meal if there are no women at the table (but drink from your own glass without toasting someone and no one will speak to you for the rest of the evening).

cottmann
June 8th, 2006, 14:22
.... The exception would be the Japanese, who even consider blowing your nose to be as offensive as farting. .....

They are quite happy, however, to sniff loudly and heavily when they have a cold or an allergy.

June 8th, 2006, 14:27
An extra 500 B a day keeps the picking away.

June 8th, 2006, 15:32
... I find this especially disconcerting when he's driving in 140 kilometer-an-hour traffic high up on some overhead freeway 10 stories above Saphan Kwai. Cheers ....

Not just an asian thing! A ferang middle class friend of mine would not think twice about digging for gold up his hooter whilst driving along. I'd try to look out of the passenger seat window and ignore it in my uptight English 'if we don't talk about it, it isn''t happening' way, but would find myself hugging the passenger seat door as my friend would remove the nasal obstruction, roll it around in his fingers for a good thirty seconds and then flick it off in any direction. Gawd my toes still curl!

I have mentioned before my love for Isan guys. They all (in the main) seem to have similar broad flat noses (racial stereotyping 101). Is this evolutionary development caused by years of nose picking resulting in cave in?

June 8th, 2006, 16:56
I think that compulsive nose picking inherently precludes one from being considered "classy".

I sure hope your boyfriend possesses other charms.

Your boyfriend possesses other charms ?

Hope is a illusion !

http://upload4.postimage.org/354583/naamloos.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/354583/photo_hosting.html)

June 8th, 2006, 22:05
Thanks god i haven`t had this problem........ i have a sensitive stomach lol

June 8th, 2006, 23:06
It's not an "Asian thing" or a "farang thing". It's an "ill-mannered, uneducated, country bumpkin thing". A well-brought-up Thai -- just like a well-brought-up farang -- would die rather than pick his nose in public, and I'm not talking about Thais who "have been to western schools". I mean Thais that were brought up in nice families with good manners. You know, the kind of Thais not many of you are likely to know.

June 8th, 2006, 23:13
It's not an "Asian thing" or a "farang thing". It's an "ill-mannered, uneducated, country bumpkin thing". A well-brought-up Thai -- just like a well-brought-up farang -- would die rather than pick his nose in public, and I'm not talking about Thais who "have been to western schools". I mean Thais that were brought up in nice families with good manners. You know, the kind of Thais not many of you are likely to know.
Perhaps, but nothing an extra 500 B a day won't solve.

June 10th, 2006, 03:49

You must feel as though you have just had an epiphany. How wonderful for you!

June 10th, 2006, 05:23
It's not an "Asian thing" or a "farang thing".

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/padlom/930a221d.jpg

GWMinUS
June 10th, 2006, 06:23
Hey Guys!! I am beginning to take this personally!!!

Down In TEXAS, we not only pick our own noses but those of our horses!!!
It is just part of bonding.

And SMILES, I observed Suphot performing this ritual many times.
And he was absoluting charming!!!

Mai pen rai...
:cheers:

Smiles
June 10th, 2006, 10:18
I think that compulsive nose picking inherently precludes one from being considered "classy". I sure hope your boyfriend possesses other charms.
Who said anything about compulsive? I believe I used the word "sometimes", which to my way of thinking would make it almost the opposite of compulsive. Which would make him, I think, often classy, sometimes not.

But ... as my dearest would say (and I would agree with), " ... better than being a compulsive bore ... " which you turned into many moons ago.

Cheers ...

June 10th, 2006, 10:20
OK, I'll change my statement.

Nose-picking in the presence of anyone else, at any time, implicitly precludes one from being considered classy.

June 10th, 2006, 15:50
This ad appeared at the bottom of this page:
http://www.yourbadhabits.com/main/nose%20picking_.php

June 12th, 2006, 21:04
Thanks Smiles for another of your subtle observations.

I would hope that I would be tolerant of regional/national differences that I may encounter, but with my present guy I have not once been tested: he has never once, in my presence, picked nose or teeth, farted or burped, worn creased or dirty clothes, etc (unlike myself): a complete credit to his parents and country, he could move in any circle. I once asked him if he would like to be "hi-so" and he said: "Of cource, except I can't stand the food they eat." [It's either mum's cooking or street stalls only]

I'm biased, but a complete 10/10 - except that he writes left-handed, but you don't lose points for that.

June 13th, 2006, 14:39
....he writes left-handed, but you don't lose points for that.

Me too. I was twelve before I figured out what the other lads meant when they said, "A boy's best friend is his right hand," and, by that time, I was totally...ambidextrous. As well as, simultaneously.

June 14th, 2006, 01:35
Thais consatntly sniffing vick sticks and other menthol type sticks does tend to irritate after a while.. is it a trendy thing or do they actually feel better for it?