PDA

View Full Version : Best time to experience Bangkok's gay scene

discord87
October 4th, 2013, 15:19
Hey guys, newbie here!! Hoping to learn a lot from everyone. :-)

I've only been to Bangkok twice, once during Christmas last year and the 2nd time was mid-May this year. I was just wondering when would be the best time to experience the gay scene in Bangkok. I'm guessing the Gay Pride celebration is something to look forward to.

I'm planning to go there again during Songkran next year just to experience the whole thing, but I read somewhere that a lot of the boys at the go go bars won't be around during Songkran. Is that true?

Thanks for sharing any info on this. :-)

MiniMee
October 4th, 2013, 19:56
Any time is a good time to visit Bangkok. ItтАЩs a major Capital city and therefore not greatly affected by climatic or tourist seasons. Your previous visits have coincided with western and Thai festivals that do see peak numbers of tourists in town, but whether these are 'good' times to visit or not depend on what you want from the gay scene in Bangkok.

I am guessing that you are probably quite young (26?) and therefore might enjoy the party scene and the wild times during Songkran. DonтАЩt miss a trip to the Khao San Road area at Songkran, but the Pride week can be a bit hit and miss, if it is even on next year. The G-Circuit parties are worth making trip for if you like meeting up with other visitors from HK, Singapore, Philippines Malaysia, Australia etc.

If the go-go bar scene is what you are after, any time of year will provide good opportunities to experience that. Bars are full most weekends but quieter during the week. There are fewer boys available during the summer months, which coincide with harvest time on the farms in Isaan, but there are always plenty of choices at any time of year. There will be more boys and more farang customers in December and January. But more customers can mean less choice тАУ up to you.

Others will probably respond from their own perspective, so you should clarify what your interests are if you need more focused advice.

discord87
October 4th, 2013, 22:31
Thanks a lot for your response, MiniMee.

Haha, I can't say I'm into the whole "partying" scene despite being 26. I'm just into exploring new things. That's the reason I wanted to see how the Songkran festivity is like in Bangkok. And yeah, I'm also thinking about going to the GC parties, just for the sake of experiencing something new. If the Pride week is on, I'm thinking of paying another visit. That's usually in November, right?

But yeah, the main highlight would definitely be the gogo bars. :-p I've only been to Tawan and Jupiter so far, so planning on exploring the other bars. I was just curious to know whether the local festivities would have an impact on the number of boys available at the bars (I read that in some blogs before). :-)

anonone
October 5th, 2013, 04:51
Songkran can be a worse time to visit, if you don't want to participate in the water fun and just want the gogo bar experience. It is low season and the boys that don't go home are much more interested in water play then working. Some bars even close up for a couple of days for the holiday.

I don't have much experience with Bangkok, as I always head down to Pattaya. I visit in both high and low season. Neither is particularly better, just different from each other.

adman5000
October 5th, 2013, 07:27
Can you please be a bit more specific about which part of the "gay scene" you are asking about?

Otherwise I agree with what Minimee has told you-good advice in that it does depend on what you want. I would also suggest that you look at the Thai Holiday schedule, Western Holiday schedule, and timing of Chinese New Year. Then also align this with the Issan planting schedule. This can give you an idea when the guys may be away or extra tourists may be in town.

(Joke Alert) - Christian- do you have this type of information modelled perhaps? :laughing3:

pong
October 5th, 2013, 17:59
Main time for tourists in town: the high=dry/cool season, peaks around 25/12+1/1. Specific peak for Chinese: around Chin. Nw Yr (about 1/2 in 2014).
Worst time for available MBs in town: songkran, trough of low=wet season (think june/july). If you can only think in black and white: its TH, so its never a case of all or nothing, but rather like more/less.
For the rest as above; BKK is whopping all year-IF you can adapt to how the Thai think of it and where they do it.
IF your interests can maybe go just a little tad beyond available boys and when, and if you have the pleasure of being able to go when it pleases, try the start of the cool season-nov. with Loy Kratong etc.

October 6th, 2013, 06:24
It's interesting to read that someone in their 20s regards gogo bars as representative of Bangkok's "gay scene". DJ Station, G.O.D and Babylon maybe - but gogo bars?

discord87
October 6th, 2013, 11:22
It's interesting to read that someone in their 20s regards gogo bars as representative of Bangkok's "gay scene". DJ Station, G.O.D and Babylon maybe - but gogo bars?

I guess the clubbing scene, be it DJ Station and G.O.D, wouldn't differ much from the local gay clubbing scene in my own country. Gogo bars, on the other hand, is something new for me. The same goes for the Pride week celebration and G-Circuit parties. :-)

christianpfc
October 6th, 2013, 12:21
I'm planning to go there again during Songkran next year just to experience the whole thing, but I read somewhere that a lot of the boys at the go go bars won't be around during Songkran. Is that true?
I was in Bangkok during this Songkran, and I don't want to experience Songkran again. You should have an escape plan, in case you don't like Songkran after the first day. There were plenty of boys in Soi Twilight in the afternoon/evening, celebrating Songkran. I don't know if they went to their bars later. Your problem will be more to get there dry, and to find a boy who is willing to interrupt his Songkran celebration.

For a worst case scenario of Songkran read my report from April.