PDA

View Full Version : Macy Corporation Bows to Religious Right over Gay Marriage

June 8th, 2006, 08:02
Well, Boston with its religious insensitivity has long been on my list of undesirable places to visit. Now Macy's is on my list of places NOT to shop (not that I shop much, anyway).

Macy's in Boston removes Pride display
Associated Press
published Wednesday, June 7, 2006

BOSTON -- Macy's department store has removed a window display marking Boston's Gay Pride week after a group that opposes same-sex marriage complained it was offensive.

The display at the downtown Boston store featured two male mannequins, with one wearing a Gay Pride rainbow flag around his waist, next to a list of several planned Boston Pride Week events.

MassResistance, formerly the Article 8 Alliance, which has campaigned against same-sex marriage and gay-themed textbooks in public schools, objected to the display and said the mannequin wearing the flag had a "skirt" on, the Boston Herald reported.

The group posted pictures on its Web site and scores of its supporters complained to Macy's by phone and e-mail.

Elina Kazan, a Macy's spokeswoman, said the store decided to remove the mannequins but leave the list of events in order to strike a balance. Displays in previous years did not use mannequins.

"We believe in diversity, and our customers are very important to us," Kazan said. "But (the display) did offend a few of our customers, and we had to re-examine it."

Sarah Wunsch, a spokeswoman for the ACLU of Massachusetts, criticized Macy's for "succumbing to the bigotry" of what she said was a fringe anti-gay group.