PDA

View Full Version : Brief Notes from Chiang Mai (spoiler: no sex)

PeterUK
September 26th, 2013, 10:41
The dedicated pursuit of sexual adventures, especially in a purpose-built, low-price and user-friendly setting like Pattaya, undoubtedly has its attractions, but those of us who actually live there are sometimes beset by an inconvenient build-up of existential discontent culminating in the anguished inner cry of 'enough!' and then we have to get away from it all for a while. Call it eccentric behaviour if you will, but there it is. So it was that I decided on impulse to go to Chiang Mai for a week and have just got back.

I like Chiang Mai, always have done. It feels like a lived-in, liveable place. It has a sense of history to it, everywhere apparent in the architecture. It has lots of greenery, festivals, markets, interesting shops, tastebud-delighting restaurants. There is a strong sense of self-improvement to the place тАУ everywhere signs advertising courses on cookery, Thai language, meditation, massage, scuba diving (all right, I made up that last one). Life moves at a more relaxed pace there. Even the ever-worsening traffic seems less disposed to run over pedestrians who have the temerity to want to cross the road. The natural setting тАУ the blue-tinted wooded slopes of Doi Suthep rising to the west and hill country all around тАУ is preferable to me to Pattaya's gently lapping waters infused with used condoms and other undesirable matter.

I always stay in the Thapae Gate area. For many years I used to put up at the Montri Hotel, but now that it has tarted itself up, with a corresponding hike in prices, and taken to calling itself 'Hotel M' (the big yellow M remarkably reminiscent of a certain fast-food chain!), I thought I would try somewhere else. On the recommendation of a mole within the said Hotel M, I chose the Lux Hotel about 300 yards further along Moonmuang road in a northerly direction. I have to say I was very impressed. It's small (about 40 rooms), newly-built, slightly set back from the road and pretty quiet. The tiled corridors are bright and clean with decorative items on side-tables and lots of photos of old Chiang Mai on the walls. The rooms are a good size and well-furnished (including cane sofa), quiet a/c, security box, good flush to the toilet, good water pressure and temperature control to the shower (which, remarkably, I didn't have to adjust once), friendly staff. All for a mere 700B per night (no breakfast though), which is little more than you might pay in a grotty guest house in the same area. An absolute bargain. Every evening I got to witness the intriguing sight of the elderly security guard sitting on a plastic chair outside the entrance, usually asleep, transistor radio in his lap, head hanging back at an impossible angle. Never once saw him topple over or rub a painful neck.

True to form, there was some kind of celebration going on at the open space by the Thapae Gate for the first couple of days of my stay. Lots of people wearing orange tee shirts who belonged to some worthy organisation that I never quite identified. Food and handicraft stalls, uplifting speeches, live music, the usual kind of thing. One evening I stopped to listen for a moment to a Thai girl and young man singing on the stage and gradually became entranced by their perfect harmonising. If I'd been an agent I would have signed them up on the spot. Not too many backpackers around the Thapae Gate area at this time of year. Poor things, they look so... overburdened, don't they. Overheard (I kid you not): one female backpacker to another, 'I feel so sweaty, maybe I'll take a shower today.'

So anyway, yes, my days passed in an idle round of secondhand bookshop browsing, aimless wandering, coffee-sipping, veggie restaurant sampling (surely no other place, outside south India, has so many?), low level general shopping, hanging out with a congenial and very hospitable American friend who had the good sense to make Chiang Mai his base in Thailand many years ago. We spent a day looking round Lamphun about 25 kilometers to the south of the city (20B each way on the blue song thaews). Quiet, nondescript, a few attractive temples тАУ we agreed, not a place likely to inspire us with an urge to move there lock stock and barrel forthwith. In Chiang Mai, on my above-mentioned aimless wanderings, I always seem to come across dottily unexpected sights. On this trip the undisputed prize-winning entry came from four farangs wearing sleek racing cyclists' helmets who passed me at a sedate pace standing bolt upright on those things that look like motorised, wheeled pogo sticks (don't ask me what they're called). And yes, they looked complete twits.

Since the object of my trip was to have a complete break from Pattaya, I made little effort to investigate Chiang Mai's gay scene. The only bar I went to (well, it was Saturday night) was Circle Pub, which I found little changed from my last visit about two years ago. Perhaps an extra chandelier and gilded mirror or two added to the already kitschy d├йcor. The usual mainly bored, mainly straight guys, only a couple of whom got second looks from me. A stage show of consummate dreariness. The usual audience of mainly Thai queens; quite a few empty seats. Drinks 240B each. The place clearly fills a niche and chugs soporifically along.

I received several calls and text messages from Pattaya boys during the week, the gist of which was that they were finding life horribly incomplete without my enriching presence. What could I do? I told them to bear up as bravely as possible until my return. Refreshed by my break, I admit there was a spring to my step and a little buzz of carnal anticipation as I headed for the airport. Silly old fool!

Oh, two more recommendations for you, both on Moonmuang Soi 5 near my hotel. Angel's Secrets is a quirky little restaurant with planet-saving messages scrawled on its interior surfaces (at least I think that was what was intended by one comment which went, 'Stop to cut the tree! Stop to throw garbage in the river! Stop to kill the animals!'). You also get Billy Holliday dripping out her husky sorrows in the background. Best of all, it serves the most scrumptious French toast imaginable. Ponganes, run by a friendly young Thai couple, is even tinier (though it has a bit of garden attached) and has consistently excellent coffee. I went there nearly every afternoon.

joe552
September 26th, 2013, 16:13
great report, Peter. almost makes me want to go back to CM (almost). very well written and engaging. thanks

Nirish guy
September 26th, 2013, 16:38
Nice report Peter - good to hear about other parts of Thailand occasionally just to remind us that there IS more to Thailand than just Pattaya !

"We spent a day looking round Lamphun about 25 kilometers to the south of the city (20B each way on the blue song thaews)"

See, now where else would you be able to travel on public transport for 25kms for 20 baht, what great value !

"On this trip the undisputed prize-winning entry came from four farangs wearing sleek racing cyclists' helmets who passed me at a sedate pace standing bolt upright on those things that look like motorised, wheeled pogo sticks (don't ask me what they're called). And yes, they looked complete twits."

I believe they are called Segways ( http://www.segway.com/tours/pts-for-tours.php ), a lot of cities are now offering them as a day activity to tour groups etc and yes no matter who's on them the riders usually look ridiculous, plus the things are a bloody death trap in the wrong hands as with the press of a wrong lever they either inevitably attempt to mow down lines of pedestrians or project the rider into the either the closest bush at best or at worst into a line of oncoming traffic and should one need any more proof of their inherent propensity to try to murder their drivers the original inventor of the Segway machine was actually killed by his own device after it took off with him on board and projected him off the edge of a cliff path while he was out riding his machine on his local costal path one sunday morning - proof if ever it was required to leave well enough alone I would have thought but apparently not enough for some people - hence the ridiculous looking cycling helmets they are all required to wear that you witnessed no doubt.

anonone
September 26th, 2013, 20:23
Great report Peter. You have a very engaging style of writing.

Hope your travels back to Pattaya go smoothly...and you quickly get reacquainted with your Thai friends that admire you sooo much. :love4:

PeterUK
September 26th, 2013, 21:26
Thanks, NI guy, for your entertaining explanation about segways. I like to learn something new every day. Your account of the unfortunate demise of their inventor reminds me of a case from many years ago now when an American (from California, I believe), who had written a bestselling book about the health benefits of jogging, shuffled off this mortal coil by way of a heart attack while out jogging one day. Just shows yer, dunnit (as a former acquaintance of mine often used to say - without ever quite explaining what it was that was being shown). Anyway, remind me never to write a book about inspecting sewage systems, won't you.

ceejay
September 26th, 2013, 21:34
Thanks, Peter, for this. It's very evocative of the atmosphere of Chiang Mai and I can't wait to go back there (only 8 more days to wait). Those Segway tours are, for some reason, very popular. They must be mad - in the high season you can see 12 or 14 in a group, coming down Tha Pae road and feeding left in the traffic when they get to the moat. How no-one has been killed yet, I do not know. I intend to explore the "coloured" (ie non-red, running on out-of-town fixed route) song thaews this visit, but maybe I won't go all the way on the orange ones. They go to Fang, and I'm not sure I could take 150km in a songthaew!

bucknaway
October 15th, 2013, 11:49
I visited Circle pub last night and saw several different shows that gave me an erection. I was half tempted to make an off but didn't. There are a few guys there that are very, very well hung.

Our guide took us to another bar and met a few Thai guys and some Caucasian guys.

I got back to my room at about 1am and sent a message to a guy on gayromeo that I was back in my room. He came over and spent the night. So far I am having a GREAT time with the guys in Chiang Mai.

Tonight going to House of male.

Jellybean
October 15th, 2013, 14:26
I visited Circle pub last night and saw several different shows that gave me an erection. I was half tempted to make an off but didn't.
May I ask why you werenтАЩt fully tempted bucknaway, considering the effect some of the boys were having on your glorious manhood? And were you treated in a civil manner when you left empty handed?

My last memory of visiting Circle Pub was not a happy one. I had visited the bar on many occasions, especially during a 6 week trip, when I had my first attempt at learning Thai at the AUA School, near the Taipei Gate.

After looking at the boys on offer, I decided there was no one to my taste that night, so I decided to leave after one drink. I got the distinct feeling that the waiters and mamasans were not happy about me leaving without a boy. Walking towards the exit I passed the toilets when I remembered I needed to use the loos. It was with some surprise that a very aggressive member of staff walking behind me said that I couldnтАЩt use the toilets and pushed me towards the exit. I almost felt like I had been thrown out for simply not taking a boy. As I said, IтАЩd been there many times before and never had such an experience with or without a boy at my side. I wondered what was different about that particular night. It really did unsettle me at the time.

October 15th, 2013, 15:17
when an American (from California, I believe), who had written a bestselling book about the health benefits of jogging, shuffled off this mortal coil by way of a heart attack while out jogging one day.Excellent news a great cheer goes up from me in the office when I read of people dying while trying to show us poor slobs how virtuse they are.

bucknaway
October 15th, 2013, 16:22
Hi Jelleybean. I was with a guide as well as my friend. They were very gracious to us and that could have been due to our guide. We only purchased 1 drink each and when we left, they were as gracious in our leaving as they were when we entered.

The reason I didn't take an off was because I was with a group and my offing someone would have the possibility of becoming the wet blanket that spoiled the fun for the other 2 in my group.

homeseeker
October 15th, 2013, 19:23
Well written report OP so congrats for that. But reading between the lines can summarize CM in 2 words:
"excruciatingly boring".

goteed1
October 16th, 2013, 08:58
Bucknaway, you mention a guide with you in the bar. Did you hire a gay guide to take you out to the bars? Just wondering if this is worth a look for an upcoming trip.

Thanks

bucknaway
October 16th, 2013, 09:43
Bucknaway, you mention a guide with you in the bar. Did you hire a gay guide to take you out to the bars? Just wondering if this is worth a look for an upcoming trip.

Thanks

Yes, we hired a guide to take us around. Funny thing is that it seems there are less gay bars now then when I visited years ago. But we had fun.

We went back to circle pub becaused Freeguy was closed. The show was very similar to the night before. On this trip the staff was not as friendly as the night before when we had a guide. We went next to New My Way and saw the shows there. It was okay. I like the way that Chiang Mai shows artfully display the male form.

I would enjoy the drag shows if they had guys wearing next to nothing as backup dancers with the drag queen on stage.

Then we went to g-star disco. It was ok but no a lot of people thre on a Tuesday night.

We took the number of a cute tuktuk driver and called him to get us and take us from place to place. It averaged about 150 baht going from place to place.

Brad the Impala
October 17th, 2013, 05:17
Buck, I think that you would enjoy Sea Man Pub, as a fun place with hot dancers and a great atmosphere. When on the rounds having the number of a tuk tuk driver is very helpful. We hired one for the night. I think about 500 Baht.

bucknaway
October 17th, 2013, 08:38
Chiang Mai was fun. I don't know if or when I will be back since I'm not getting any younger and many of the guys I am use to seeing have retired from the scene.

Next year is up in the air. I guess I will have to look in that mirror I hear so much about and decide if I have another good year in me or not.