View Full Version : Making Spectacles in Bangkok

camperboy
September 24th, 2013, 11:41
Hi all

I need glasses to enable me to see far. My degrees is around 150. Not that high. I lost mine recently and was wondering if it is cheaper to make it in Bangkok.

I don't need a fancy one and most probably will be wearing it only in clubs or at night to oogle at boys. hahah possible to get one at about 2000baht?
How long will it takes for it to be ready?

I am staying arround Silom. Any recommendations around there?

Thanks!

psd1315
September 24th, 2013, 12:58
Hello Camper,
3 business doors up from the Triple Two Silom, a Boutique Hotel on Silom Rd there is an optical store with a nice professional optician, I ordered 3 pairs and it took about 1 week to pick them up, 2/3rd the cost compared to what IтАЩd pay in the US. Good Luck
:blob4: :blob4: :blob4:

camperboy
September 24th, 2013, 13:03
Hello Camper,
3 business doors up from the Triple Two Silom, a Boutique Hotel on Silom Rd there is an optical store with a nice professional optician, I ordered 3 pairs and it took about 1 week to pick them up, 2/3rd the cost compared to what IтАЩd pay in the US. Good Luck
:blob4: :blob4: :blob4:

THANKS! I will take note of it.

But 1 week? I am only there for 6 days. :(

Yraen
September 24th, 2013, 20:43
Camper, my suggestion is that you should wait until you get home.

Last trip, I decided to get my prescription filled as sunglasses. With which I had significant visual problems. What I discovered is that even a large chain like Top Charoen does not have a facility for grinding lenses to YOUR prescription. Instead there is a standard range of pre-ground lenses available and they get as close as they can from that standard range.

My eyes require different lenses, one from the other. Hence the visual problems I had. They couldn't match my eyes/requirements.

I suspect that other optometrist shops face the same issues. IMO, this is where the cost of getting glasses in Thailand does not offset the technical inabilities.

If you do go this route, expect to pay anywhere from B4,500 to B10,000. If you want the "cheap-and-nasty"version, try some of the street stalls or even in MBK or some shopping malls. Try them until you find something "good enough" for a short stay, then get precription glasses at home.

Just my experience. Up to you.
Cheers.

camperboy
September 25th, 2013, 08:04
Camper, my suggestion is that you should wait until you get home.

Last trip, I decided to get my prescription filled as sunglasses. With which I had significant visual problems. What I discovered is that even a large chain like Top Charoen does not have a facility for grinding lenses to YOUR prescription. Instead there is a standard range of pre-ground lenses available and they get as close as they can from that standard range.

My eyes require different lenses, one from the other. Hence the visual problems I had. They couldn't match my eyes/requirements.

I suspect that other optometrist shops face the same issues. IMO, this is where the cost of getting glasses in Thailand does not offset the technical inabilities.

If you do go this route, expect to pay anywhere from B4,500 to B10,000. If you want the "cheap-and-nasty"version, try some of the street stalls or even in MBK or some shopping malls. Try them until you find something "good enough" for a short stay, then get precription glasses at home.

Just my experience. Up to you.
Cheers.

Thanks for the note.

I definitely need something temporary. However having said that, i did read in some forums about how "heavier" prescription may need longer time to do and higher costs incurred as well.

Will it affect me since my degrees are generally low?

Patanawet
September 25th, 2013, 12:07
Hi all
I don't need a fancy one and most probably will be wearing it only in clubs or at night to oogle at boys.
I am staying arround Silom. Any recommendations around there?

Well Camperboy, if you're looking only for an 'emergency' pair for ogling, you could pick up a pair for about 100 Baht at the market stall opposite Silom Soi 4, corner of Convent (outside the banks). There is often a charming boy serving there and they are there early evenings (except Sundays).

Before the graduates of the "University of Stating The Bleedin' Obvious" chime in pointing out the dangers of using non presciption glasses ---- I said EMERGENCY!