PDA

View Full Version : The Super Supermarket

James Barnes
September 21st, 2013, 11:51
Thank goodness that after all these years here, Thailand still has the capacity to surprise and delight. The other night, I was having dinner with an Australian chum; letтАЩs call him Bruce, who has lived in Chiang Mai for more than a decade and who has recently split with his long term Thai boyfriend. Bruce is a great sport who was impervious to my gloating about EnglandтАЩs recent Ashes win (cricketтАЩs most hotly contested rivalry). This joshing between the English and Aussies goes back a long way: when Captain Cook first stepped foot on that land down-under, so impressed was he with the awesome topography, the huge variety of fauna and the staggering range of flora, he was immediately moved to name the place, тАШHis MajestyтАЩs Prison, Australia.тАЩ

The fact that so many Australians are descended from convicts is of no concern to the average Englishman, though it is a worry that a good number are descended from the wardens, but Bruce is a bona bloke who is coping well with my constant ribbing and his newly found single status. Like every discerning Chiang Mai expat, Bruce does his shopping at one of the five Rimping Supermarkets that dot the city. These are excellent establishments, well stocked with great quality products, play gently piped classical music, a loyalty reward scheme that awarded me a superb Italian coffee maker after two years, helpful and attractive staff that pack your bags at the check-out and will even carry them to your car and a home delivery service for those without transport.

Last week, Bruce popped in to do his weekly shop as usual but was without the boyfriend that had been with him for the last six years. Spotting that he was alone, a lady staff member approached him and was concerned for the absent guyтАЩs health so Bruce explained that they were no longer an item. The woman was full of sympathy and instructed him to wait where he was while she disappeared into the stockroom. She returned, moments later, with a young gentleman, easy on the eye and intended as a replacement for the old amour. Telephone numbers were exchanged and a couple of dates followed. Things didnтАЩt work out but really, where in the world would this, could this, happen? Only in Thailand. Amazing Thailand. No wonder Reuters latest survey reaffirmed that Thailand is the worldтАЩs number one gay destination and I bet they did not think to ask about the super supermarket.

stevehadders
September 21st, 2013, 17:01
Superb story, really brought a big smile to my face

bucknaway
September 22nd, 2013, 00:37
Could almost be put on a poster as "Typically Thailand."

Sooty
September 22nd, 2013, 14:02
Frankly Thailand amazes me every day I'm there. That's why it's called Amazing Thailand (although I don't think the Tourism honchos quite had that in mind).

James Barnes
September 24th, 2013, 18:09
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

krobbie
September 25th, 2013, 08:46
Now that really is going beyond the call of duty. What a delightful woman, just for the effort.

Choc dee to her.

krobbie

latintopxxx
September 25th, 2013, 17:13
now thats what I call service, and now exactly where is this supermarket??

timmberty
September 26th, 2013, 01:28
now thats what I call service, and now exactly where is this supermarket??

dont expect a reply, they dont have a bargin bucket or do two for the price of one.