PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Thailand Empty-Handed

bucknaway
September 21st, 2013, 05:34
It looks like this time I won't be giving out gifts to friends when I arrive. In the past I have given out cologne, Maglight Flashlights, portable speakers and Levi Jeans. This year nothing tickles my fancy as a gift to bring so this year they will just have to be satisfied with the gift of friendship. :hello2:

Nirish guy
September 21st, 2013, 05:39
I swear this is true, I was speaking to a Thai friend the other day on Skype and he went rummaging in a drawer behind him saying - "wait to you see what I got from a farang" and proceeded to unwrap and show me.......an metal model of Eiffel Tower !!!! I literally Lol'd and needless to say he couldn't understand why and I hadn't the heart to tell him why I was laughing :-)

timmberty
September 21st, 2013, 05:51
but ni what does this tell us about the person who gave your friend the metal tower ?
he didnt try to sell it, if he had of done he would have been told it was worthless and throw it away.
so he still has it as a keep sake of someone he cares about ? who knows,

Nirish guy
September 21st, 2013, 05:59
yes he loves it !! although unlike the ones that were given out by an esteemed board member this one was bought to the guy by his BF when they both visited the actual Eiffel tower together and was quite some size, weight and I'm guessing value so I've no doubt it means a lot to him from his BF - it certainly seemed to to him as he was talking to ME rather than his BF whilst on skype showing it to me :-) Ah the joys of the seemingly ever fluid relationships between Thai boys and some of their farang Bf's.

bucknaway
September 21st, 2013, 06:01
I swear this is true, I was speaking to a Thai friend the other day on Skype and he went rummaging in a drawer behind him saying - "wait to you see what I got from a farang" and proceeded to unwrap and show me.......an metal model of Eiffel Tower !!!! I literally Lol'd and needless to say he couldn't understand why and I hadn't the heart to tell him why I was laughing :-)

Some friends of mine received a Metal Eiffel Tower for a wedding gift. I like it and would not mind having one. (They plan to spend their honeymoon in France).

Sooty
September 22nd, 2013, 14:05
I swear this is true, I was speaking to a Thai friend the other day on Skype and he went rummaging in a drawer behind him saying - "wait to you see what I got from a farang" and proceeded to unwrap and show me.......an metal model of Eiffel Tower !!!! I literally Lol'd and needless to say he couldn't understand why and I hadn't the heart to tell him why I was laughing :-)Does he use it as a dildo do you think?

christianpfc
September 23rd, 2013, 23:36
When I was strolling through my local shopping center, to my greatest surprise, I saw metallic miniature Eiffel towers as key rings in a shop, they looked exactly like the ones I brought from France (as far as I could see from walking past, I have to check next time).

Maybe it's a consolation to you, Bucky, I always come to Thailand empty handed (except for the Eiffel towers). The reasons are there is nobody that close and I think I am not good at buying gifts for others (see the Eiffel towers, a disaster according to board members), I am not even good at receiving gifts, in my family, we stopped giving gifts (other than money) to each other, because the last gifts I got were so-so, barely worth saying "thank you" to my parents.

krobbie
September 24th, 2013, 02:19
It looks like this time I won't be giving out gifts to friends when I arrive. In the past I have given out cologne, Maglight Flashlights, portable speakers and Levi Jeans. This year nothing tickles my fancy as a gift to bring so this year they will just have to be satisfied with the gift of friendship. :hello2:
Buck, since everyone else is talking Eiffel Towers I will keep to the point. I am sure your gift of friendship will be well received. Just remember to keep that gift in your pants until the the right moment.

Cheers and have a good time next month.

krobbie

bucknaway
September 24th, 2013, 04:21
Cheers and have a good time next month.

krobbie

Thanks, I just hope they don't complain that they received the same gift last year :-)

gaymandenmark
September 24th, 2013, 04:40
I don't understand this bringing gifts to your friends.
That being Cologne, Levis Jeans, speakers and even Eiffel Towers.

If I have a, as someone said a Boy Speciel, I will bring a gift to him, but not to all acquaintances=friends?

bucknaway
September 24th, 2013, 05:01
Different people like to do different things. I enjoy giving gifts to special friends.
I am often presented with gifts from them also.

So they will either be friends with a person that gives gifts or a friend that does not. In the end it's the choice of the giver.

camperboy
September 24th, 2013, 11:43
I promised the boy that I will buy him a watch.

But I am so occupied with work that I totally forgot! You think the boy will remember and hound me for it when I am there without the watch? hahah

krobbie
September 24th, 2013, 11:57
Thanks, I just hope they don't complain that they received the same gift last year :-)[/quote]

It's the gift that keeps on giving.
:sign5:

christianpfc
September 24th, 2013, 15:52
I enjoy giving gifts to special friends.
I am often presented with gifts from them also.

A good reason not to bring gifts. They might present me with gifts, stuff I have no use for that will clutter my room.

scottish-guy
September 24th, 2013, 16:17
Christian, you are going from "minimalism" to "miserabilism"

Mein Gott in Himmell! If somebody takes the time and thought to buy you a little gift (especially if it's one of the working boys - they're not exactly rolling in cash you know) why can't you just be gracious about it - maybe even a little touched that they thought of you?

Nirish guy
September 24th, 2013, 17:06
A boy I was out shopping with told me " I wanna a watch" - so later on that night I let him ! See, I'm all heart ! :-)

christianpfc
September 24th, 2013, 20:02
Christian, you are going from "minimalism" to "miserabilism"

Mein Gott in Himmell! If somebody takes the time and thought to buy you a little gift (especially if it's one of the working boys - they're not exactly rolling in cash you know) why can't you just be gracious about it - maybe even a little touched that they thought of you?

Yes, I would be gracious and thank them, but then it would end in a dark corner, or I would give it to another Thai friend. But it's so difficult. Sometimes, I am not completely happy with stuff I bought for myself, and the last gifts I got from my parents were a waste of time and money (luckily, we now converted to money).

There was a boy in Classic whom I offed three times already, who said he would bring a gift for me from Singapore (where he went to see a customer). After that, we have only met in passing by, I hope he forgot to bring the gift, but I appreciate the thought.

I vaguely remember, I got three gifts from two Thai friends. One I still have, the other ones I gave to other Thai friends (I don't even remember what is was).

Shopping with boys is no problem, I bought clothes for two Thai friends in Thailand, if they know what they want, I will pay for it (if it's reasonable). But buying stuff on my own as a gift - no more (see the Eiffel towers).

timmberty
September 25th, 2013, 01:25
i dont believe there is any great reason to be pleased if a thai guys buys you a gift, chances are it will be something he was given and didnt want, what to do with it, give it to the doppy old farang, and he might give me a bigger tip.

joe552
September 25th, 2013, 01:39
you're such a romantic, timmberty. I was given a gift by a bar boy a few years ago which he bought before I arrived in Pattaya - a model tuk-tuk (not cheap). I was very touched by it and still have it. I sometimes bring a small piece of Celtic jewellery (cheap) as a gift if I've been chatting to a guy online

timmberty
September 25th, 2013, 01:40
its not easy joe, but someones got to do it!!!!
its all a load of old bollox really.

scottish-guy
September 25th, 2013, 02:54
OMFG Joe - I also got that wooden Tuk Tuk!!

I wonder if it was the same boy LOL - was he from Star Boys then Funny Boys by any chance?

[attachment=0:1hhdfv7z]mhWUUZSYN4YGzTO3P4WqKcg.jpg[/attachment:1hhdfv7z]

joe552
September 25th, 2013, 03:21
sorry s-g. mine is metal, in a presentation box. obviously I attract a better quality boy than some. when I first met him he worked in Wild West Boys, but in June was working in a restaurant

gaymandenmark
September 25th, 2013, 03:41
Don't get me wrong, I like to give and receive gifts.

I still have a cute small teddybear in my home, and everytime I see it I remember, both the good times, but also the bad times we had together, over several years. Now he is unfortunately dead, poor soul. Whatever happended he was and still is a big star in the sky of my past. Time is running, it is more than 15 years ago now.

But one of the best gift I have ever recieved, was when my ex-bf was waiting for me in the airport, and he did that several times, with a big bouquet of flowers.
Mostly it was in the colors I like, and one time it was in the colors of my country flag.

Just call me an old, but handsome :-), romantic fool, but I liked, that he was using his brain to try making me feel happy.