PDA

View Full Version : Buying a lap top computer........

catawampuscat
June 7th, 2006, 10:30
I have decided it is time to retire my p/c and buy a lap top.. I will use it mainly for internet access, media viewing and it should be easy to travel with..
I would appreciate any thoughts about whether to purchase a lap top in Thailand or in the USA on my next trip.. Price is a factor but
I would like to buy a laptop I could use for rest of the decade and with enough power..

Any recommendations on whether to buy in Thailand or not?.. I am looking to buy on the lower end of the price market and would like to
stay under 40,000B or 50,000B. (under $1000.00 US)..
Also it would nice if one could secure the laptop somehow so it doesn't walk out of my condo by itself...thanks

Bob
June 7th, 2006, 10:48
You might want to consider waiting until next year and getting the new Microsoft operating software which is due out in January (sorry, its Vista or some other name). Microsoft no longer provides updates or patches for Windows 98 or ME so I'm wondering if updates or patches for XP will still be around by the end of the decade (probably not and that's to force all of us to buy the new software). If you do this, make sure you get a laptop that can handle the new software (think it requires a gig of ram +).

June 7th, 2006, 10:50
How many SF members will be around by the end of the decade?

June 7th, 2006, 13:17
The price uplift on electronics in Thailand is high enough to warrant purchasing abroad -- I would recommend buying it on your next visa run to Singapore or Hong Kong, where you will pay a much more normal price.

A computer to last to the end of the decade? If you are planning on running Windows, it doesn't exist -- as Bob has pointed out, Vista is coming, which will render most current hardware obsolete. If that is really a requirement, go for a Mac -- Apple have a good history of operating systems being backward-compatible for a long time. It will be slightly over your budget, but that's the only way you will make a four-year requirement.

A final alternative: just get a PC and run Linux -- I have one old relic in my flat here in Hong Kong, which runs a special Linux kernel that I compiled back in 1995 (kernel 0.96 for those who are interested), and it works just fine.

Most good laptops now come with a loop for a security device -- these are usually some sort of wire or cable that can be bolted to a desk, which also has an unlocking key. The name Kensington comes to mind, but there are tons of other companies who make this sort of thing.

June 7th, 2006, 14:07
Generally I have found the prices of laptop computers to be higher in Thailand than what you pay in the US. So my recommendation would be to wait and buy a laptop in the US. Furthermore, I have bought many PCs and laptops over the years and personally I would recommend Dell. IтАЩve had 4 Dell laptops and 2 Dell desktops in the past five years and have been extremely pleased, never had a problem. I have no opinion on other computer companies, they might be just as good, except I strongly advise friends against buying a Sony. I helped a friend try to repair his Sony laptop last year and it was an abortion, the only way to reload the operating system was to send it back to Sony, completely unsat. Swore I would never own such a piece of crap.

You should have no problem getting a laptop that lasts the decade. You probably already know what hardware specs are required to ensure it lasts till then, but I would recommend
- a dual core processor (CPU)
- at least 1 gigabyte RAM
- a hard drive at least 60 GB and speed of 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM
- If you plan to play any games then you should be sure the laptop has a discrete video card, like an ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 or nVidia Geforce Go 7400 or better. Avoid integrated graphics, itтАЩs vastly inferior to discrete video card solutions and may not run the 3-D features of Windows Vista (to be released next year). Avoid any graphics by Intel (e.g., тАЬIntel Extreme GraphicsтАЭ, itтАЩs an integrated, low-end solution).
- Make sure the laptop has wireless and meets standards 802.11b & g
- I would bet that Windows XP will be supported by Microsoft through the end of the decade, so I donтАЩt think you need to wait for Vista to be released.

If I needed to buy an ultraportable, thin-and-light laptop today, IтАЩd look seriously at the Dell XPS M1210, about $1,300 in the base configuration. I have the Dell Inspiron 710m, which is the same size but only a single-core processor, and it is very fast (2 GHz), very long battery life, and very easy to carry around.

If you want something more powerful with a bigger screen and wonтАЩt be carrying it around all the time, mainly just use it at home like a desktop, IтАЩd look at the Dell Inspiron E1505 (maybe about $1,100), but be sure you upgrade the graphics from the integrated solution.

With regard to security, you can buy a laptop locking device. ItтАЩs like a bicycle locking wire, except itтАЩs designed at one end to plug into a slot on the laptop (almost all laptops have the slots). You loop the wire/cord around any immovable fixture/pipe/bedpost/etc, so the laptop doesnтАЩt walk away. Another solution is to get a small laptop that fits into a safe. One reason I really like my Inspiron 710m is that itтАЩs so small it fits neatly into the room safes at the Pinnacle and other hotels I stay at in Thailand.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

GWMinUS
June 7th, 2006, 14:12
I recently looked to buy a basic laptop for my friend in the Philippines.

While I could buy something here in the US (from Dell) for $500, the cost of of a similar laptop there was $800 to $1,200. However, even when shopping in the US, beware. Those $600 laptops at Office Depot do not include the Windows operating system. So figure another $200.

If you want a laptop with the Thai keyboard and characters, you will need to buy locally. It is easy to find a separate keyboard for a desktop, but not for a laptop.

Bottom line, you can buy for less in the US. But I think you still need to budget $1,200 to $1,800 for a computer with many of the features you will need. 15-inch screen, fast processor, extra memory, wireless networkng, combo CD/DVD drive, and Windows XP operating system.

Good luck!!!

June 7th, 2006, 20:17
I recently bought a Sony Vaio laptop, in Malaysia, well last year. It was priced at about UK1,100, but here in the UK was priced at around UK1,700. Now the Vaio is one of the most expensive on the market and one may ask is it worth it, certainly at around 1700 I do not feel it is, its way overpriced, but as I got it for 1,100 in Malaysia, it wasnt too bad. Ok laptops are basically anything from 400 to even 2000 UK pounds.

The Sony Vaio is brilliant, its got everything other laptops have but the most important thing is the size, really compact and I can basically carry it around with me, without the carrying case even, really compact, its also powerful 60 gigas and a 512 mb memory spinner, and I think the latest has a camera on it. Mine hasnt. Recommended.

June 7th, 2006, 21:51
Very little difference between Thailand and UK on prices.......... dont forget the warranty and ease of repair factor when calculating costs.

manfarang-old
June 8th, 2006, 04:56
I've found computer prices in Thailand to be higher than those in the US. I've seen some great deals on under $1000 laptops at ecost.com. Personally, I've been very happy with my HP ze4910 laptop, but I think it's a bit heavy if you're going to be lugging it around all the time. For portability, the lighter-weight HP dv1000 series may be more appropriate.

fedssocr
June 8th, 2006, 06:51
I got my Sony laptop from Newegg.com last spring. I love it. Very small and light (just over 4 pounds, 13.3" screen).

The end of the decade is only 4 years from now. I think you would not have too much trouble with it lasting that long, especially if you aren't taking it to the beach or anything like that.

Your needs are very basic so I think most laptops available today would meet your requirements. For me getting something small and light was important since I travel a bit and knew I would be carrying it to meetings and so on.

June 8th, 2006, 08:20
The moral of the story is: if you are living in Thailand, and don't go to USA, then Hong Kong or Singapore is going to be cheaper. If you live in the USA, then buy there, as you can buy new kit the same price as HK or SG, and they have sale prices on overstocked items.

In ANY third world country, you are going to pay a ridiculous price, as there are import duties and 'customs consulting fees' to pay, so don't bother. And when you bring your new notebook to Thailand, don't bring any of the packaging, as you will be asked to pay a cash customs fee which conveniently would be the same as the amount of cash you have with you (sorry no receipts).

And of course, in the UK, anything electronic has a 40% premium -- I never understood why, but when I lived there I would buy portable toys in either Hong Kong or USA.